PDA

View Full Version : Want A Good Laugh - At Police Expense?

wkid_one
4th June 2003, 16:05
Read the attached letter.....

The cop wrote bicycle in the vehicle section of the ticket - and I still question the speed

Needless to say I got off the ticket!

Coldkiwi
4th June 2003, 17:44
you beauty! That got me laughing good time!

was their response equally as witty?

bluninja
4th June 2003, 18:52
Hey WKID maybe you should send the speeding ticket off to the people that do land speed records.....after all the current record stands at 110.68 kph on a bike (http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~osborn/cheetah/cheetah.html) that has more carbon fibre than yours.

What with your education of police at the roadside in the other thread, you're soon going to be above the armed licquor store robebrs on their most wanted list:D

TTFN

wkid_one
4th June 2003, 18:55
I was tempted to put in the letter that I would like a validated copy of the ticket forwarded to the NZ Track Cycling Team - I could be in the Olympics!!

bluninja
4th June 2003, 19:16
Oops:

eNZed Fred
4th June 2003, 20:10
Can you tell us some more about the solo operator bit ?

Are you saying that if you didn't view the reading, then there had to be another copper in the car ?

And if there is another copper, then they don't have to show you ?

From my past experiences, I believed that an error on the infringement notice was not fatal to a successful prosecution.

Cheers, Fred.

wkid_one
4th June 2003, 20:20
More a doubt creating question.  Given they had already made one error on the ticket, I was questioning what other errors had been made on the ticket.  The hawk was on permit on anyway.

Tickets need to be error free - otherwise they are not enforceable, as this casts doubt on the remainder of the ticket. 

I was not on a bicycle and I question whether I was doing the speed indicated.  Given he made the one error - I can't therefore believe my speed was correct - the basis of the case is proving that the ticket was only limited to one error and not more.

I was never offered a reading of the hawk and therefore disbelieve the speed that was ticketed.

aff-man
9th June 2003, 20:03
Got a ticket with a lot of screw-ups on it in january. Sending multiple letters to the police and getting feck-all answers. They just waited untill the time was up and then handed it off to the courts and basically said "we don't have to talk to you anymore". So i should be going to court one of these fine days hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sometimes you just gotta laugh

Blackbird
9th June 2003, 20:12
Sometimes there is a God of motorcycles protecting us.  I got nailed with a $40 parking fine a few years ago in Rotorua.  I wrote a grovelling letter and they let me off - here it is.

Sometimes, a bit of humour works wonders:niceone:

DeanOh
12th June 2003, 13:40
LOL dude...thats funny.
Ive been let off a couple of times too. Once driving along the Pacific highway between Auck and the Coromandel somewhere, I passed an undercover cop. The bastard pulled me over and gave me a ticket for doing 120kph, which at the time, i was thankful for because he actually got me for 135kph. As it turned out he didnt know the name of the road, so put down something wierd. About 2 months later I recieved a letter saying that the officer had got the road name wrong and my ticket was no more.
Another time i was on my way to Auck, just before Tokaroa and I passed a whole bunch of cars ina passing lane, and low and behold a cop comes around the corner the other way, sees me, lights come on, Im posed with a dilemma, should i stop or just speed up, i doubt she would have caught me. i slowed and eventually 20 mins later she catches up and is beeming with pride, she clocked me at 178kph, never before has she got someone going so fast. i pleaded guilty and gave her my boyish innocent grin, and told her i was just using the passing lanes to their fullest extent to pass the slow cars, it was xmas eve and i was on my way home to my sick mum, and she let me off, she booked me for doing 120kph, that was almost 5 yrs ago, i still havent recieved a ticket or heard another thing. (fingers crossed)

Oh, and hello, thats my first post.

:rolleyes:

Blackbird
12th June 2003, 17:26
If you mean the straight uphill 3 lane section about 15 k's south of Tokoroa on SH 1, you won't get off scot-free these days:confused:

That stretch of road (Tar Hill to the locals) is now one of the highest revenue-gathering areas anywhere.  There are almost always 2 Highway Patrol cars in the area, so no runners, lads and lassies:p  There is also a mufti car working the same stretch.  You can spot all the locals as they're the ones doing about 105 k's!  Even with a radar detector, I'm really twitchy in that area.

This is the start of the hill looking north:

Cheers

:niceone:

SPman
12th June 2003, 18:43
Its a barstard of a spot! Went through there once heading north on the Tokoroa side. Patrol cars on each side of the road and laser guns pointing up and down the road. 2 cars pulled over! Luckily I had been flashed about 2k back - plenty enough time to haul down...phew!

Blackbird
12th June 2003, 19:45
I normally go south to Taupo over the Whakamaru Dam, onto Western Access for 11 k's, then left onto Poehepe Road and come out at the top of the Taupo Hill just up from the Waikato River control gates.  Only ever seen one cop on that road and (blush) and it was the first time I did a runner:o  Never, ever again!

If I'm going further south, I normally go all the way down Western Access to Turangi.

denill
12th June 2003, 20:17
On this subject;

Travelled Napier - Auckland a couple of weeks ago and with a radar detector picked up a strong signal from a newish looking red Toyota Hi-Ace type van that was fitted with a speed camera.

It was just south of Atiamuri. The vehicle was quite craftily parked, ie. not parallel with the road but on an angle that implied that he had just stopped on impulse?

Coming back on the Sunday on SH27 after a long stretch of tight, hilly stretch, the road opened up and I put the Sub on turbo to pass a stream of cars and then spotted another van, white but still newish, parked in the same manner and I then tucked back into the stream. Just in case. I bet the tin tops wondered what this wanker was up to, but yep, sure enough, the detector went ape shit. So watch for vans parked on angles or just parked.

At least on a bike they only have a 50% chance of snapping you, but if the incidence of frontal snaps get too high we will be wearing front number plates.

Believe that `cos anything is possible in a police state. :argh:

Blackbird
12th June 2003, 21:03
Yep, they're all over.  There have been quite a few threads on these vans.  There's a red one and a white one based in Tokoroa.  My detector picks them up at about 800 metres which is a bit more than I normally pick Camry-based units up at.  Not sure whether it's the unit itself or the extra height of a van which helps detection range.

:done:

What?
13th June 2003, 06:21
Originally posted by wkid_one
Tickets need to be error free - otherwise they are not enforceable, as this casts doubt on the remainder of the ticket. 

Nice theory Wkid. My first ever ticket (146 on open road - 80K back then) had a lovely error. The cop signed the ticket in the space marked "Name (print)", and nothing in the space where he was supposed to sign it. I wrote a lovely letter to the court pleading that if the cop was not competent enough to follow the printed instructions on the ticket, how could anyone believe he was competent enough to take a reading from his car speedo, remember it for a couple of K's, then transcribe it accurately onto said ticket. The judge did not agree and I was fined (funnily enough the fine was less than it would have been had I been clocked at 27K less!!) and ordered to sit another defensive driving course.

:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Firefight
27th June 2003, 20:38
Yeah great stuff, all the guys on my shift pissed them-selves laughing , a word of advice, most cops have a long memory, may be time to change the colour of your bike !! Well done.

Redstar
27th June 2003, 21:59
The Friendly blob on a bike who has furnished me with two lovely tickets his even friedlier mate gave me the first. passing on the left garbage ticket.
Well no1 blob keeps a separate little note book. in addition to his ticket book. this little note book is in to suppement his failing memory. or maybe he has a private little data base? and at night when we are having fun he is updating his little spreadsheet with comments like (I''ll get this shit next time for a dodgey tyre)

Well they have a Job to do I guess. think of all that power! and you get to ride a big bike all day.yeah I'm just jelous..