PDA

View Full Version : Wellington to Foxton ???

dangerous
10th January 2007, 20:27
Ok then, locals pay attention.
On our ride to Dorkland I'm trying to spread it out a bit and cover some not so heavely used roads.
Heres what I'm thinking tell me your thoughts and if you reckon theres a beter way let me know.
The only part I'm not sure about is the Shannon too Foxton rd... I take it it is sealed???

chanceyy
10th January 2007, 20:30
yeah buddy its sealed .. pretty much straight road .. just a few curves in it .. there are more interesting routes out there

any reason to back track to foxton ?? The Palmy/welly crew will prob update you with good windy roads to get you further north & i hear there are some pearlers

jimbo600
10th January 2007, 20:47
Don't bother with Foxton. Take the Shannon rd and continue to Palmy-Feilding-Cheltenham-Vinagar hill. This will bring you out on SH1 North of Bulls. Great bit of road. If you like you can continue up SH1 or cut through Marton in to Wanganui and over the Paraparas to National Park. SH1 from Foxton North is Boooooooooring. And full of cops.

sunhuntin
10th January 2007, 21:25
im sure most of the roads around here are sealed....in my travels, ive never stumbled on one that wasnt [cept one way up the back of fordell just outside of wangas that was basically a driveway]

foxton strait is called that for a good reason: its straight. and boring.
the paras as of last week are in pretty shit condition, so if your coming via wanganui, take the second bridge heading north and go straight up to the aa office for a more recent report. that road wasnt fixed right after the first flood, so the second one has basically destroyed it.

when coming into wangas, take the first right turn as you enter the 80k zone, otherwise youll be on the road heading to new plymouth. take that right turn, and the river should be on your left the whole way till the paras. if you go straight, thats the first bridge, so the first set of lights you come to after taking the right turn, take a left at those and your in the main shopping area [also the aa office is about 2 blocks straight up] theres a bike park at the top end of that block by michael hill/anz. the parks on your left, the aa office is on your right, and are about half a block apart.

Panther
10th January 2007, 21:36
do you know what would happen to you in foxton??!!!!

dangerous
11th January 2007, 05:27
do you know what would happen to you in foxton??!!!!
Yeah a big feed and a good nights sleep (staying with a KBer)

any reason to back track to foxton ??
Yeah its our 1st stop at AJ Turbo's.

Don't bother with Foxton. Take the Shannon rd and continue to Palmy-Feilding-Cheltenham-Vinagar hill.
On this day we are leaving Nelson-ferry-Foxton, so rather than take the main drag to foxton I was wanting to cover a couple of the roads you guys often rate... you know the places Im always reading about, so the red line on the pics above is what I came up with.
Make it more interesting for us if you want.

After Foxton we are backtracking a little to Palmy again and then thru to Taupo via the Napier road

I have a better idea It will be Sunday Feb the 4th... so how bouts a local or two pick us up from the Wgtn ferry and take us to Foxton... your way :yes: :scooter:

Paul in NZ
11th January 2007, 07:50
Thats got to be the gheyest route ever and suitable for Goldwings and caddies. Sounds like you need a tour guide.

When does the ferry arrive?

Hitcher
11th January 2007, 08:06
That route involves way too much time on the long straight drags of SH2 and the interminable 50kmh zones of the ribbon settlements that are Wairarapa towns. For a few extra km, head out through Martinborough, Gladstone, avoid Masterton altogether (unless you need fuel), through Alfredton and out at Pahiatua. A much more interesting ride! It's all sealed and well signposted, just watch out for the lefthand turnoff required about 4km up the road from Alfredton.

chanceyy
11th January 2007, 08:28
That route involves way too much time on the long straight drags of SH2 and the interminable 50kmh zones of the ribbon settlements that are Wairarapa towns. For a few extra km, head out through Martinborough, Gladstone, avoid Masterton altogether (unless you need fuel), through Alfredton and out at Pahiatua. A much more interesting ride! It's all sealed and well signposted, just watch out for the lefthand turnoff required about 4km up the road from Alfredton.

so you offering to show Dangerous the way Hitcher ... ??

Hitcher
11th January 2007, 08:29
so you offering to show Dangerous the way Hitcher ... ??

Depends on what day he wants to do this ride.

chanceyy
11th January 2007, 08:45
Depends on what day he wants to do this ride.

i see he has edited his thread .. sunday 4th feb i believe

Hitcher
11th January 2007, 08:49
i see he has edited his thread .. sunday 4th feb i believe

It's a possibility. Won't know for sure until closer to the time.

sunhuntin
11th January 2007, 08:50
hey yeh...if you want a meal in wangas, shoot me a txt. if im not working, ill head out and meet you somewhere!

James Deuce
11th January 2007, 09:02
I'll take you the long way Dangerous.

PM me the details and I'll hook up and we'll go have some fun.

Cheers

Jim

skelstar
11th January 2007, 09:18
I might be in for that too guys...

Paul in NZ
11th January 2007, 09:30
I won't slow you down by coming along but might meet you some place. Providing thats OK of course...

Dodgyiti
11th January 2007, 09:50
Dangerous in the mighty big smoke?
Cool.
Always a Guzzi friendly place out West.
Got plans while your up here?
We love nothing better than to strip backwater Mainlanders bikes to a bare frame while they are extanging pleantries at the dairy.:innocent:

Wanna catch up, give us a bell 0212112511 if you get time.
Mike.

Skunk
11th January 2007, 10:01
Wrong weekend for me DD. I'll be in Hawkes Bay

The Stranger
11th January 2007, 10:31
A couple of options.

1) Hit Palmerston North and head up 54, on to 1 (yek) until Turangi, scoot up 41 (has some nice twisty bits about the lake) to Kuratau Junction then 32 (bit boring, but few cops - never seen one yet) to Mangakino. Just follow this road up the LHS of the Waikato river, it is sealed and sign posted to Te Awamutu and Kihi Kihi. Awesome piece of road for a start, twisty, beautiful scenery and again never seen a cop. From Te Awamutu jump across to Pirongia then up 39 to Ngaruawahia. Hard to explain from here and my map doesn't show it, but you can stay on the LHS of the Waikato the whole way up to damn near Mercer. Then you is stuck on 1.

2)Head for Wanganui all boring and straight to Wanganui, no escaping this. Head up 4 all the way. You know you have hit nirvana when you see the sign - Twisty road next 52km - Sure there are some boring bits too, mostly about national park, but it hots up again from Taumarunui to Te Kuiti. 4 empties on to 3, head up 3 to Otorohanga then to Priongia. From there see option 1. Note 4 was cut up when we went down for LB's funeral and there was masses of tar bleed, particularly between Wanganui and Tohunga Junction. Hopefully a lot of the road works is complete by now.

Just a few ideas to keep you off of 1. Less cops and some bloody good road in there too.

When you coming?

crazybigal
11th January 2007, 11:03
do as hitcher said, go up the Wairarapa way.
avoid state highway 1, from wellington to Waikanae its all roadworks and 70-80k zones. boring!

Blairos
11th January 2007, 11:10
A couple of options.

From Te Awamutu jump across to Pirongia then up 39 to Ngaruawahia. Hard to explain from here and my map doesn't show it, but you can stay on the LHS of the Waikato the whole way up to damn near Mercer. Then you is stuck on 1.

You could always get to Ngaruawahia take a left out to SH22, this will keep you off 1 all the way to Tuakau, then thru Pukekohe out to Drury - then you join Southern Motorway (SH1) from there to your Auck destination

Just an idea... :ride:

Hitcher
11th January 2007, 11:16
Or you could take the river road from Ngaruawahia that follows the western bank, through the back streets of Huntly, cross the river at Rangiriri, immediately turnoff SH1 into Te Kauwhata and then cross country through Okaeria to SH2/25 and come into Auckland via Kaiaua and Clevedon. Fantastic!

dangerous
11th January 2007, 18:33
I'll take you the long way Dangerous.

PM me the details and I'll hook up and we'll go have some fun.

Cheers

Jim

Thats got to be the gheyest route ever and suitable for Goldwings and caddies. Sounds like you need a tour guide.

When does the ferry arrive?

one PM 4th Feb
A tour guid would be sweet by me, as long as we are at AJturbos in time for tea :rockon:

I might be in for that too guys...
Oth mate, but no leading us into the back blocks stripping us and taking off with the keys ok:shutup:

Now our plans from Foxton to wiggle our way to the Coromandel and Auckland, but thats another thread after this one is sorted. :scooter:

dangerous
11th January 2007, 20:32
Dangerous in the mighty big smoke?
Cool.
Always a Guzzi friendly place out West.
Got plans while your up here?

heres the thread on our visit http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37106
Be good to catch up, sounds like on the http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37102 thread that theres a meet at a pub called something.

chanceyy
11th January 2007, 20:52
so Is AJ having a BBQ that nite ... (hint hint)

dangerous
11th January 2007, 20:58
so Is AJ having a BBQ that nite ... (hint hint)

Well he beter be doing something... big air head V twins give you a good sized apetite and after all we will be guests.
We are meeting Buell Babe there and al of us are headed North. :scooter:

Grub
11th January 2007, 21:31
the paras as of last week are in pretty shit condition. that road wasnt fixed right after the first flood, so the second one has basically destroyed it.

We came thru it on New Years Day in heavy heavy rain but I wouldn't have slagged it as much as this. Yup it was a slow ride so I guess the bumpiness and the lack of chip on the seal (= bare tar) didn't really bug as much. I can imagine if you were trying to do it at a clip and carving turns, that might be more annoying.

Half the road has collapsed in about 5 places but they are well marked with plenty of warning. In all, as it was the first time we'd done it, we found it a really cool ride even in the crap conditions - even Nasty enjoyed it.

I would say do it if you haven't been there before because it's an amazing road through amazing country

ajturbo
11th January 2007, 21:52
Arrr shite... now i will have to think about getting a BBq around here ..somehow?
was hoping for a quiet romantic evening... sitting on the deck, watching the sun go down... and the dogs chasing ghost rabbits...

or i know i could issue all comers with a brush and have competions on who can brush the dogs the best....

or who can pick up the most doggy doo

or play... lets all fill in the holes the dogs dug while i was out riding...

or.. lets quess where we are going to sleep

or .. now this IS a good idea.... we could tie luke up and draw a red dot on his belly and get the slug gun out...........

chanceyy
11th January 2007, 22:05
Arrr shite... now i will have to think about getting a BBq around here ..somehow?
was hoping for a quiet romantic evening... sitting on the deck, watching the sun go down... and the dogs chasing ghost rabbits...

or.. lets quess where we are going to sleep

I might be able to help out with the BBQ AJ .. just need a trailer to get it there (& some help getting it on there) .. ummmm romantic with the other guys there .. hmm ya might be pushing it abit ..

if ya stuck for beds I can help out there ;)

& yes we can even organise food ... :) .. well trained some of us ;)

ajturbo
11th January 2007, 22:40
I might be able to help out with the BBQ AJ .. just need a trailer to get it there (& some help getting it on there) .. ummmm romantic with the other guys there .. hmm ya might be pushing it abit ..

if ya stuck for beds I can help out there ;)

& yes we can even organise food ... :) .. well trained some of us ;)
it cool, i have the beds sorted...
am kicking luke out of his room ( haven't told him yet....)
he is sleeping out side somewhere....but the boys will keep him warm, but they will come inside if it rains... so he'll get wet, but that should tuffen him up a bit more...

chanceyy
11th January 2007, 22:43
lmfao re luke ..

& da BBQ ?

buellbabe
12th January 2007, 05:49
Ok then, locals pay attention.
On our ride to Dorkland I'm trying to spread it out a bit and cover some not so heavely used roads.
Heres what I'm thinking tell me your thoughts and if you reckon theres a beter way let me know.
The only part I'm not sure about is the Shannon too Foxton rd... I take it it is sealed???

Hey Dangerous! Did you consider sharing this little gem with MOI???? You remember me eh??? That other person who is riding with you????? And if you call the fabulous City of Sails 'Dorkland' ONE more time I swear the dogs will be in the spare room and you will be sleeping in their kennel!

I think I better get on the blower to ya better half and sort this out ...

he he he

:sunny: :yes: :scooter:

buellbabe
12th January 2007, 06:02
Oh and BTW... the route is this: R & D make their way from ChCh to Foxton...sesh at AJs on Sunday nite then off bright and early the next day (hopefully without sore heads!... I am a seasoned pro so not too worried) to Taupo. Cheers for the suggestions for this stretch ;-) Another sesh at a nice motel with spa pool AND a heated swimming pool!!!! Then the next day (Tuesday) we are off to Tairua to have yet another sesh with a couple of decrepid bikers I know. Wednesday is Coro loop...might stop in Coro Township then its a short blat via Kaiaua up to my place at Manurewa.

Cheers everyone!

Skunk
12th January 2007, 07:45
So... a KB get together at AJ's.

ajturbo
12th January 2007, 09:14
i live up a GRAVEL Rd... 500ks of GRAVEL to get to my place...
the GRAVEL is bike eating
the GRAVEL loves noobies on flash jap bikes..( mines not flash)
did i mention that i live on a GRAVEL rd???

hahahhahahahahaha

had some target practice last night.....

James Deuce
12th January 2007, 09:35
Yay. I've finally got a bike that likes gravel, even though it has big fat tyres. See you in February.

sunhuntin
12th January 2007, 11:48
We came thru it on New Years Day in heavy heavy rain but I wouldn't have slagged it as much as this. Yup it was a slow ride so I guess the bumpiness and the lack of chip on the seal (= bare tar) didn't really bug as much. I can imagine if you were trying to do it at a clip and carving turns, that might be more annoying.

Half the road has collapsed in about 5 places but they are well marked with plenty of warning. In all, as it was the first time we'd done it, we found it a really cool ride even in the crap conditions - even Nasty enjoyed it.

I would say do it if you haven't been there before because it's an amazing road through amazing country

yeh....i didnt go cos i had to work. im no fan of that road on a good day. the olds were in a car, so that would have made a bit of difference.
it is a nice road and ive gone about halfway up on a bike [i think?] but turned back cos i had no clue how much petrol i had left.

Skunk
29th January 2007, 10:45
I will be able to make this now. How's that BBQ coming AJ?

(And are you buying that tyre or what?)

ajturbo
29th January 2007, 11:20
I will be able to make this now. How's that BBQ coming AJ?

(And are you buying that tyre or what?)
what tyre??? ...saw some black smoke from next door....hehehehe

will chat to buelbabe soon..
but the last we decided was that who ever turns up ..... we will ph thru an order to the F/Chip shop.. take van to pick up... that way we will not have to RACE home to set up anything and also i won't be stuck over a BBq while EVERYONE else drinks.... and any food left over the dog's and luke can eat... you should see them fight over a second hand pice of fish.... luke usally looses, but it is fun to watch

Paul in NZ
29th January 2007, 11:40
As I posted in the 'other' thread you may wish to review your travel options in the Wairarapa next weekend as it is the Martinborough Fair (1st weekend in Feb and March) and every 'Lady that Lunches', short sighted SUV driver, mad pottery expert, frustrated people mover pilots, little white van men and the dreaded little blue truck guys will be out in FORCE shepherded by the Police.

Not a good day to go through Martinborough or over the hill...

Panther
29th January 2007, 11:47
i live up a GRAVEL Rd... 500ks of GRAVEL to get to my place...
the GRAVEL is bike eating
the GRAVEL loves noobies on flash jap bikes..( mines not flash)
did i mention that i live on a GRAVEL rd???

hahahhahahahahaha

had some target practice last night.....

drifties on the gravel???

u4ea
29th January 2007, 11:52

mmmmmmm I live on the Foxton Shannon road(aka highway) and it is tar sealed..hell we even have street lights and telephone conections down here!! :shutup: maybe I could ride through to AJS with ya so dont get lost in our boondock hicksville!!!!!:dodge: :killingme :killingme :killingme
mind you AJT lives pretty primativley.......no running water,no lights no phone no roof no ........................(I better :shutup: or ill be in the dog box!!!!!!!)

ajturbo
29th January 2007, 11:53

mmmmmmm I live on the Foxton Shannon road(aka highway) and it is tar sealed..hell we even have street lights and telephone conections down here!! :shutup: maybe I could ride through to AJS with ya so dont get lost in our boondock hicksville!!!!!:dodge: :killingme :killingme :killingme
mind you AJT lives pretty primativley.......no running water,no lights no phone no roof no ........................(I better :shutup: or ill be in the dog box!!!!!!!)
but you like the dog box last night!!!

Fatjim
29th January 2007, 11:56
Mate, if you're gonna do the track, (Pahiatua track that is), turn off at Managamaire, about 7k north of Eketahuna. That little bit extra just makes that bi of road complete.

Yeah, and go via Martinborough, Gladstone hill (Water Tower road), and Alfredtown, back onto SH2 at Eketahuna. Thats about 7k of SH so you shouldn;t have any flatspots left.

u4ea
29th January 2007, 12:04
but you like the dog box last night!!!

oi !!!!!!!!!!!:pinch: :crybaby: :weep:

Skunk
29th January 2007, 12:53
what tyre??? ...saw some black smoke from next door....hehehehe
So you are buying it then.