PDA

View Full Version : Sky TV don't know what they're talking about!!!

LB
29th July 2004, 05:19
I'm really pissed off - the July Skywatch, on page 22, shows a photo of Rossi, underneath it says "get all the latest two and four wheeled action on Sky". Bastards.

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
I've just flicked off this email to them.

"The latest Skywatch, for July, on page 22 features a photo of Valentino Rossi who is racing in MotoGP, and underneath you state that you "have all the latest motorsport action this month".

I would like to point out to you that you are NOT showing the MotoGP races this year, and it is offensive to those of us who love motorcycle racing for you to suggest that you do."

Apologies if there's already a thread started on this.

Motoracer
29th July 2004, 10:25
Good on ya Lynda!!!

Mongoose
29th July 2004, 10:45
Dont forget to keep us posted when, or is that if, you get a reply.
Well done, not just moaning but acting on it and letting the folk that caused it know.

svs
29th July 2004, 11:39
If that's the case, shouldn't MotoGP/FIM (or whoever owns the rights to it) be informed. You could say sky tv is using MotoGP to promote their stuff, but they don't broadcast it, which I guess means they aren't paying for the right to use the images.

I'm sure mr motogp guy has more leverage than disgruntled viewer

Deano
29th July 2004, 11:43
If that's the case, shouldn't MotoGP/FIM (or whoever owns the rights to it) be informed. You could say sky tv is using MotoGP to promote their stuff, but they don't broadcast it, which I guess means they aren't paying for the right to use the images.

I'm sure mr motogp guy has more leverage than disgruntled viewer

Good call !!

And how could anyone find Formula 1 exciting at the moment. Should be renamed the Michael Schumacher show. He should follow Rossi's lead and drive for one of the other teams to give him more of a challenge and make it more interesting.

Darryboy
29th July 2004, 12:11
Good call !!

And how could anyone find Formula 1 exciting at the moment. Should be renamed the Michael Schumacher show. He should follow Rossi's lead and drive for one of the other teams to give him more of a challenge and make it more interesting.

He already did when he moved to the struggling Ferrari team from Benetton for the 1996 season. It took him four long years of failure before winning the championship and now he's reaping the rewards, good on him I say.

And how can you call it boring? Did you see that duel for second place between Alonso and Button?

rodgerd
29th July 2004, 12:16
Good call !!

If the FIA are really serious about making it more competitive, then they should stop faffing about with the rules on cars and just state no driver can stay at the same team for more than 3 winning seasons!

Mongoose
29th July 2004, 12:25
If the FIA are really serious about making it more competitive, then they should stop faffing about with the rules on cars and just state no driver can stay at the same team for more than 3 winning seasons!

Bollocks to that, why handicap a fellas earnings just because he ends up in a winning team/driver combo? While he is slick on the track so is his management team as are the pit guys. Good on him I say. :first:

Deano
29th July 2004, 12:43
He already did when he moved to the struggling Ferrari team from Benetton for the 1996 season. It took him four long years of failure before winning the championship and now he's reaping the rewards, good on him I say.

And how can you call it boring? Did you see that duel for second place between Alonso and Button?

Has he now been winning for the last four years ? - perhaps time to do what he did in '96 then. Im sure he has enough $$$ rewards for $$$ to be a non issue.

I thought Motogp was getting quite boring with the expectation that Rossi would win practically every race. Now he rides for Yamaha, the races are much harder fought, four or more bikes in close contention for first place - all good I say.

Mongoose
29th July 2004, 12:49
Has he now been winning for the last four years ? - perhaps time to do what he did in '96 then. Im sure he has enough $$$ rewards for $$$ to be a non issue.

I thought Motogp was getting quite boring with the expectation that Rossi would win practically every race. Now he rides for Yamaha, the races are much harder fought, four or more bikes in close contention for first place - all good I say.

But would like someone to dictate who you can or can not work for, specially if you are good at what you do? Surely its his choice and not for others to make up a rule, bloody hell thats what we all moan about the Gov. for doing. Making up rules to control our lives and now people want to do exactly the same in motor sport :argh:

k14
29th July 2004, 13:10

Nah, F1 is boring. You are right about the race on sunday though, that was a pretty good one actually. That and the monaco f1 would have to be the best f1 races i have ever seen, but all the rest are so boring it isnt funny. You can't compare motogp to f1, not even in the same ball park. Motogp had 3 changes of the lead in the first 2 laps, now when was the last time someone took the lead of a f1 race on the track (not in the pits). Sorry, but only cage racing worth watching is the V8 supercars. Only there could we see someone qualify dead last, 33rd on the grid and nearly win (come 5th in the end), that is what I call racing.

Hooks
29th July 2004, 13:16
But would like someone to dictate who you can or can not work for, specially if you are good at what you do? Surely its his choice and not for others to make up a rule, bloody hell thats what we all moan about the Gov. for doing. Making up rules to control our lives and now people want to do exactly the same in motor sport :argh:

good call Mongoose !! We've all been pushed around by the govt for long enough that we now accept that being told what do or even how to do it is the normal way of things !! :kick: If someone is sucessful at what they do why should they be the ones who get penalised ?? :Pokey:

Ghost Lemur
29th July 2004, 14:10
Nah, F1 is boring. You are right about the race on sunday though, that was a pretty good one actually. That and the monaco f1 would have to be the best f1 races i have ever seen, but all the rest are so boring it isnt funny. You can't compare motogp to f1, not even in the same ball park. Motogp had 3 changes of the lead in the first 2 laps, now when was the last time someone took the lead of a f1 race on the track (not in the pits). Sorry, but only cage racing worth watching is the V8 supercars. Only there could we see someone qualify dead last, 33rd on the grid and nearly win (come 5th in the end), that is what I call racing.

You do realize Baracello won his first ever race exactly the same way. Was in Germany, started from 18th?, people crashing left right and centre. He just worked his way through the pack and came out on top.

Personally I like both F1 and MotoGP. Both have pro's and con's being completely different sports and all.

I can't quite believe the amount of anti-Shummie sentiment going on though. Particularly hipocrytical from those Rossi fans. As has been pointed out, when Shummie went to Ferrari, although they had a proud and high profile history, they were a second rate team. Since then they worked damn hard. Got the right people together, including Jean-Paul ? to head the team. Now they are reaping the rewards. Good on them. And why won't he change teams to start all over again? Besides the why should he, he's stated publicly that he's going to see his career out with Ferrari. There's some serious loyality there.

Another interesting point to remember is Benetton were always a second rate team, and Shummie was a freak of nature to win a championship driving for them.

To compare shummie and the doctor, you have to take Shummie 10+ years ago when he was that age. Just don't think you'll see Rossi doing what he is now (changing teams for challenge etc) when he's Shummies age.

Sorry for harping on. I just get a little sick and tired of NZ tall-poppy syndrome. Personally I love talent, natural freak of nature skill. God-like abilities.

Just wish I had me some. :)

Anyway....

SKY SUCK... AND EVEN IF I OWNED A TV, I STILL WOULDN'T GIVE THOSE BASTARDS A RED CENT.

Deano
29th July 2004, 14:12

Agree fully, but I didn't suggest he be forced to do it, rather that it would make the racing more exciting if he decided to, just like Rossi.

Poor old Coutts then aye ? Forced to non participation by a rule change.

Deano
29th July 2004, 14:15
Sorry for harping on. I just get a little sick and tired of NZ tall-poppy syndrome. Personally I love talent, natural freak of nature skill. God-like abilities.

Don't be sorry mate, but Im not knocking Schumacher at all. I just think the F1 would be more exciting if he did a "Rossi".

In fact, changing to a 'lesser' team would only earn him more kudos in my book if he won.

sAsLEX
29th July 2004, 15:10
its amazing watcghing schueys lap times, half the time he aint even pushing that hard, but when someone pits and he needs a few seconds time he will just put down a few fastest laps like that!

LB
30th July 2004, 05:24
Reply received yesterday:

Good Morning Lynda,

Thank you for your email and comments.
We had asked for a picture of the Superbikes, however a photo of the MotoGP was used on the sports pages instead, which is a highly regrettable error. The photo was requested from the photo library of our printers and this is what they received.

Please accept our sincere apologises, as it was a human error that this wasn't picked up in the numerous checking processes that Skywatch goes through before printing.

Unfortunately we still don't have any rights for the programme and continue to talk to the distributors to see if we can renew a realistic deal for 2005

Regards,

Jill Dicken,
Programming Liaison Officer.

My response:

Thanks for your reply Jill.

My point is more that you state that whether we're two or four wheeled fans, you "have all the latest motorsport action this month". In fact, you DO NOT have ALL the motorsport action.

I am no rocket scientist, but your claim that you have ALL the motorsport action is very debatable.

Lynda Blair

I don't expect a response to this, but it's made me feel better to write.

Also see Jimbo750's thread re this matter.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=71815&posted=1#post71815

Deano
30th July 2004, 08:33
Jill Dicken is gonna love bikers. Watch out for her on the roads, she might try and take you out.

Mongoose
30th July 2004, 09:19
Obviously their many human checks before print do not know what it is they are looking at, after all, a bike is a bike is a bike, right?
Well worth the e-mail jst to give them a prod all the same.

LB
31st July 2004, 05:53
Response to my second email:

Sent: Friday, 30 July 2004 5:42 a.m.
To: Sky Web
Subject: Re: Photo in your latest Skywatch

My point is more that you state that whether we're two or four wheeled fans, you "have all the latest motorsport action this month". In fact, you DO NOT have ALL the motorsport action.

I am no rocket scientist, but your claim that you have ALL the motorsport action is very debatable.

Lynda Blair

Hi Lynda,

I wish we did!.

As you will be aware they are referring to the Motorsport we have rights to.

Although not as much as the 'die hard' fans would like, we do hope that you are enjoying the coverage we have.

Regards,

Jill

Well Jill, surprisingly I'm not a f**ken mind reader, so I wasn't aware that you were referring to just the Motorsport you have rights to. Wankers. (I didn't send this para, it's just what I think.)

Jimbo750: please keep us posted on what happens with your letter to the Commerce Commission.

Coldkiwi
1st August 2004, 15:36
[QUOTE=Lynda Blair]Response to my second email:

Hi Lynda,

I wish we did!.

As you will be aware they are referring to the Motorsport we have rights to.

Although not as much as the 'die hard' fans would like, we do hope that you are enjoying the coverage we have.

Regards,

Jill

so in fact 'all the motorsport' is simply saying 'we're only showing a few series of cars and bikes'... whats the alternative Jill you idiot?! Not showing motorsport you have the rights too!??!?!

I bet its this sort of stuff that eventually makes people go 'postal' in companies foyers.

wkid_one
1st August 2004, 17:15
Arguably they do cover ALL motorsport through the various 'sports summary programmes' that that fun like Subaru Motorsport etc.

loosebruce
2nd August 2004, 00:35
I just so happen to supply a fair amount of pizza to SKY T.V.s HQ in MT Wellington, i already have an agent undercover and we are in the midst of planning a terroist take over in the outrage of SKY not showing our beloved motogp, :mad: but more to the relality side of things next time little wee miss julie dickens orders i plan on slipping some kinda mind altering substance into her pizza, therefore making her buy the rights no matter how much the cost to SKY (cheap @#$^&), but am having trouble on making that substance, anyone out there keen to help me out? Know any scientists (not the ones from tinny house's either)? If all that fails i'll just post her phone number an extension on the site or her mobile if i get it, and we can all have fun making lovely "polite" phone calls to her.

I had my subscription all sorted and the money aside to have SKY installed for motogp as did many others out there, as soon as i found out they weren't showing it well....... :ar15: :angry2:

jimbo600
2nd August 2004, 15:45
I just so happen to supply a fair amount of pizza to SKY T.V.s HQ in MT Wellington, i already have an agent undercover and we are in the midst of planning a terroist take over in the outrage of SKY not showing our beloved motogp, :mad: but more to the relality side of things next time little wee miss julie dickens orders i plan on slipping some kinda mind altering substance into her pizza, therefore making her buy the rights no matter how much the cost to SKY (cheap @#$^&), but am having trouble on making that substance, anyone out there keen to help me out? Know any scientists (not the ones from tinny house's either)? If all that fails i'll just post her phone number an extension on the site or her mobile if i get it, and we can all have fun making lovely "polite" phone calls to her.

I had my subscription all sorted and the money aside to have SKY installed for motogp as did many others out there, as soon as i found out they weren't showing it well....... :ar15: :angry2:

Just try the good old fashioned favourite of man glue.