PDA

View Full Version : Windows server gurus - WSUS

Cajun
11th January 2007, 10:25
Okay i am trying to set up WSUS on a server at moment.

machine is currently running SUS on windows 2000, so going to WSUS, machine also running sqlserver 2000

I get as far as the database, comes up with the database instance, but i warry to go further, since i can't find any information what it does do the instance once you have select it, does it create it own database inside this instance (this is a production database, where i don't want to install something if i don't know whats it gonna do next.

anyone done this, have any idea
(note i not a huge windows server admin, i spend most of time with oracle, aix, and more general windows server dutys)

MOTOXXX
11th January 2007, 11:28
ill have a talk to some of the boys at work.

From what i remember if you have machines that have been ghosted and not sys prepd correctly, wsus only sees one machine instead of multiple.

its easy to setup on 2003 server from what i remember.

ill get back to ya

Cajun
11th January 2007, 11:31
nah installing it on client is piece of piss, its the setup which i having problems with, i just don't wanna go <next> after selecting the sql server and it fucking it up.

or should i create a new database instance called WSUS and select that instead.

magicfairy
11th January 2007, 11:44
It is asking you if you have an existing SQL database on your network to store configuration on or do you want it to install the cut-down free SQL database called MSDE which can also be used as a database. Common option provided by Microsoft when a database is needed. The old SUS did not use a database which is why you are seeing this now.
If you don't have an SQL database in-house that is managed (and backed up) just get WSUS to install MSDE one instead. No licenses needed, will work fine. That is what I use (and teach students to do, I teach this stuff)

Once it is up and running you need to backup that box fairly often, but the Content directory which will be created on your largest free NTFS drive is where all the updates will come down into, so make sure you back it up fairly often.

Clients will need to be pointed to new WSUS server, either by registry or Group Policy (like SUS does)

magicfairy
11th January 2007, 11:57
It is asking you if you have an existing SQL database on your network to store configuration on or do you want it to install the cut-down free SQL database called MSDE which can also be used as a database. Common option provided by Microsoft when a database is needed. The old SUS did not use a database which is why you are seeing this now.
If you don't have an SQL database in-house that is managed (and backed up) just get WSUS to install MSDE one instead. No licenses needed, will work fine. That is what I use (and teach students to do, I teach this stuff)

Once it is up and running you need to backup that box fairly often, but the Content directory which will be created on your largest free NTFS drive is where all the updates will come down into, so make sure you back it up fairly often.

Clients will need to be pointed to new WSUS server, either by registry or Group Policy (like SUS does)

I just tried getting it to use my SQL 2000 local DB and kept saying not at sp3 (is at sp4) so I would leave SQL alone and get it to install MSDE to be safe.
Not much info in the guides.

Cajun
11th January 2007, 11:59
Magicfairy yeah i wanna install if on the sql server we currently already have since its backup and what have you, but its figuring out what it does when you select the right server, does it create its own database inside and like

magicfairy
11th January 2007, 14:07
I just tried setup, using SQL SP4, and said to use local SQL DB. Setup created a "WSUS" database in SQL as part of the install. but it did not ask if I wanted to create a new or select an existing database, nor anything about permissions. Just did it. Hope this helps.
Setup crashed further on with a useless error and as this is a Domain Controller I won't be using it for WSUS anyway. But now we know it creates a WSUS database.

Cajun
11th January 2007, 14:11
hmmmmmmm okay thanks heaps magicfairy,