PDA

View Full Version : Leather / Cordura mix jacket - any opinions

esir
11th January 2007, 13:25
Just joined up recently and am really enjoying the level of experience and enthusiasm on this forum.

- Now that I've done the required amount of greasing . . . no I do actually mean it.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with mixed leather and cordura jackets? Just havent seen that many around.

They look like a good idea - leather for the areas that need the protection but cordura for the other parts. waterproof with removable winter lining.

The sort I was looking at was the Ixon Progress. I know they're not the most expensive brand but they look like they might do the job.

Did a quick search and couldnt find any posts so would appreciate any advice from you knowledgable types out there.

Cheers Erin

vifferman
11th January 2007, 13:36
Yeah, My Teknic Hurricane is mixed Cordura/leather.
It didn't start out that way, but IMHO it's the only way to go.
I like it so much that even though it's looking grungey and needs replacing, I dunno what to replace it with. Options are the Macna (made in Holland) or maybe Spidi "StepIn" Road.
I replaced my pants last year with Spidi GranTurismo pants, which are great except they have leather on the seat only. Ideally leather on the knees and hips too would be better, but the only pants I tried that were like that were the Macna ones, and I decided not to get those because the fit and knee armour of the Spidi pants was just so much better.

Anyone with Cordura gear will find out it's great for all-weather, all-year riding, until they have an off. Having leather on lower arms, shoulders, knees and hips helps avoid abrasion damage, and leather on the seat stops sliding around on the bike. :niceone:

Masterchop
11th January 2007, 15:14
I have an RST, That I think is a Pommy brand.I bought it off the internet from London.
It is half and half and is very good,and looks good (I think anyway).
It has all the armour as well and a removable liner. It does leak abit on very wet rides,but hey shit happens and I dont ride in the wet that often.
Worth checking them out.

esir
11th January 2007, 17:18
Glad you guys have had a good experience with them - Im hoping the leather cordura combination isnt just gimicky because its looks like it might be quite practical

dawnrazor
11th January 2007, 19:57
spidi do a nice mix leather/textile jacket - water proof to...

the IXON gear is good bang for your buck, I plan on getting some for winter/waterproof wear, great bang for your buck with that stuff.

Ronnie
9th May 2007, 21:34
The macna bibs are good. Bought some a couple of weeks ago and ther are very comfy. Warm and snugly, and easy to slip on and to take off. The buy of the month for me. :yes:

Trudes
10th May 2007, 07:02
I have a Shift hybrid, it has leather in the right places and cordura and something else where you need some coolness, also some of the leather is perferated to keep things cool too. Haven't worn it in cold weather yet, but it is sooooo comfortable and molds nicely to the body, I love it!!

bert_is_evil
10th May 2007, 12:29
That looks similar to the one Skelstar has in his profile photo - you might want to PM him and ask him what it's like