PDA

View Full Version : Online computer stores

kro
11th January 2007, 15:51
Being a closet geek, I have had to purchase computer parts online, for my various "customers", and with the constantly changing tide of technology, products that existed 2 years ago, in abundance, have all but disappeared from the shop shelves, so you need to ask a few questions from time to time to keep up.

One thing that has shone thru very brightly when dealing with computer parts stores, is the sheer arrogance of some of them. One online trader goes so far as to say they will "probably not reply to emails", and caution you not to bother.

Here's where I get right up on my tippy toes on my soap box......... why do we allow such shitty "customer service" to exist?. In such a cut throat business as computer parts, you'd think every shop would be doing their utmost to bring in the punters, and keep them, but sadly, this appears to not be the case.

This week has been a classic, I had $900.00 dollars of my workmates money burning a hole in my bank account, waiting to be converted into a computer, and 3 of the online computer stores I sent emails to, with a simple question in each email, failed to respond to my email that day, in fact, 2 of them took 48 hours, and the 3rd has only just responded now, some 72 hours after the email was sent........ good Lord, if I did that at work, I would be shot after the 2nd hour.

Does anyone know of a PC parts retailer who takes their customers business seriously, and will respond smartly to emails?...... I don't actually care if they aren't the cheapest, I just want a store that treats me like a customer, and not an inconvenience to their daily routine of ignoring the fuck out of people.

Wasp
11th January 2007, 15:54
not had much of a problem with suppliers down here be it for my dad's small business or things for where i work

go to the source not the middle man

Fatjim
11th January 2007, 15:55
Most of the sites are run by Asians. 3 days turnaround is good service by their standards.

Mind due, if you wrote in Engrish they might respond quicker.

Sniper
11th January 2007, 15:56
www.aclasscomputers.co.nz brilliant service and quick emails

Smokin
11th January 2007, 15:58
I have used Dragon pc for quite some time now. Not too bad on emails but there are often delays in getting your order.

imdying
11th January 2007, 16:02
ascent.co.nz are the best for customer service.

dragonpc.co.nz are amongst the worst, but their gear is always cheaper, and you can haggle with them to get it cheaper still.

imdying
11th January 2007, 16:03
Oh, and tastech, would rather have a rattlesnake up my arse thanks very much. No way will that fag ever get any of my money, oh no.

kro
11th January 2007, 16:05
Another tastech fan, I am not alone then.

Smokin
11th January 2007, 16:06
Oh, and tastech, would rather have a rattlesnake up my arse thanks very much. No way will that fag ever get any of my money, oh no.

Hmmm, Often wondered about Tastech. Don't think I'll bother with them now.

Sniper
11th January 2007, 16:07
I have used Dragon pc for quite some time now. Not too bad on emails but there are often delays in getting your order.

I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. The amount of times we have clashed heads because something they have sold us is faulty or a repair quote takes a week to complete. Pity the boss doesnt seem top get there are plenty of better places out there

dragonpc.co.nz are amongst the worst, but their gear is always cheaper, and you can haggle with them to get it cheaper still.

Seconded, and that is part of the reason they are cheap

kro
11th January 2007, 16:09
www.aclasscomputers.co.nz brilliant service and quick emails

A Class have a very small range... I mean VERY small. It;s ok if all you do is build "clone" Sempron powered workstations, but a bit frustrating when you need a 2.4 Ath64 system with a 6600GT under it.

Smokin
11th January 2007, 16:15
Damn, I must be in the minority, I have had pretty good service from them, Had a top end motherboard replaced on the spot without having to go through the rma drama, graphics cards returned within the week but I did have a bit of drama over a stick of ram once.

kro
11th January 2007, 16:29
The thing that gets me, is that you're taught in any good customer services course, that an email should be treated with the same prompt action, as having a customer right in front of you. The person has taken the time to approach your company, so you need to make sure that persons question gets actioned forthwith.

I work with 4 other people who think the same way, so it's not just me being a pedantic prick. I think a niche exists for a computer parts company that is low to mid range on price, but has outstanding customer satisfaction. It's gotta be do-able surely.

Buster
11th January 2007, 16:35
www.playtech.co.nz I find these guys have great service.

N4CR
11th January 2007, 17:27
www.computerlounge.co.nz if you are in auckland go see them they are *the best*. great guys who (are from nz and understand english for a change hint hint) help you choose components and computers (custom builds to your specs/needs) they don't rip you off (i'm an enthusiast and see them for second opinions.. they are usually bang on and great at looking after my mates for what they need eg not getting some $900 cpu and integrated graphics... they actually care about you. email wise up to a day turnaround on average.
xp computer ****s in person. ascent is okay most of the time for online, my work gets majority of parts from there cus of the range of parts.. nfc technologies in newmarket is very good in person also. if you can get an account with techpac... http://www.techpac.co.nz/login/index.cfm they are resellers and you can get accounts with them if you are in the buisness. some stuff is cheaper than pricespy others is average. i see you are down south though so this wont be that applicable.

mooks
11th January 2007, 17:44
ascent.co.nz are the best IMHO
Great customer service, not always the cheapest, but really resposive if you ever have a warranty issue. Highly recommended.

thehollowmen
11th January 2007, 18:07
www.pricespy.co.nz to get stuff cheep.

If I've got questions I go to a computer store... walk in.

That way they can't delay me too long.

bell
11th January 2007, 18:56
Haven't bought anything from them but have found the guy at emergetech.co.nz to be very helpful. He's on North Rd Nelson, heading over toward Atawhai way I think.

Avoid extremepc.co.nz if possible.

MyGSXF
11th January 2007, 19:22
I think a niche exists for a computer parts company that is low to mid range on price, but has outstanding customer satisfaction. It's gotta be do-able surely.

so DO it!!! :Punk: set up a business yourself.. & show the useless buggas how it needs to be done!!! :yes:

just my 5 cents worth... :done:

kro
11th January 2007, 21:07
That would require me to put my money where my mouth is, and that requires some resolve !!!!. I'm busy keeping my no smoking thing alive at the moment, that's my excuse. I quit (again) Nov 8th. I think I got it by the balls this time.

Spuds1234
12th January 2007, 02:00
Another vote for Ascent.

You have a question, they will answer it.

I find they are very good. Things might be a bit more expensive, but as far as service goes in the computer industy, you get what you pay for.

As for Dragon PC. They were great when it was just the Winoni (sp?) branch. Once they moved into Gasson Street and Riccarton, service went to shit. I still buy the odd thing there, but only consumables if they are cheap. Never will I buy a HDD or anything of any real value there.

I would rather pay for good service at a company that will be around in a few years to honor a warrentee/guarentee, than save a few bucks and loose out in the long run.

Hoon
12th January 2007, 09:18
You get what you pay for. The cheapest places are the ones run by a couple Asians in a dingy unit. Its not profitable for them to spend 1 hr answering/researching someones query in the hope of selling something that might net them $10 profit. Nor are they willing to confirm item X is compatible with product Y and thereby accepting any responsibility if it isn't.

If you want customer service you need to go to the more expensive places that pay people to wait around to answer your queries or are willing to go out of their way to help you out. That service is reflected in the extra profit margin.

The budget places are there for the people that know exactly what they want at the cheapest price available. There are even cheaper places with dubious warranty/after sales support which I will use when buying things that never break or have a good reliability record.

You don't go to McDonalds expecting Sheraton service.

Gremlin
12th January 2007, 22:36
mmmm Hoon has summed up what I was going to say... probably better than I would have... :yes:

as he said, service costs. When you know what you want, you source, and build, move onto the next task. And besides, most of the stuff we do, we wouldn't be asking them compatibility advice either :shit:

Romeo
13th January 2007, 03:45
If you're in Christchurch I would definantly suggest you check out Custom Built Computers (www.cbcnz.co.nz). Excellent customer service and excellent prices (on most of the stuff). Or, if you're a silence nazi you can get most of the really rare PC silencing products from Legion Enterprises (www.LegionEnterprises.co.nz). Nothing beats a quiet computer, except maybe a loud bike ;/?

DragonPC = Bunch of arrogant losers who show no respect for their customers.
Tastech = Nice guy, good stuff, but try getting a hold of him ;s.
Ascent = The best online solution, bit pricey.

GR81
13th January 2007, 10:10
being a wholesaler we deal with 99% of these online shops.
as someone said earlier most of the smaller ones are owned by asians etc and you're buying from them purely based on price and not service. thats where pricespy comes in (take pricepy with a grain of salt)

the companies i reccomend that we deal with are...

for all sorts of stuff... www.acquire.co.nz & www.ascent.co.nz

for higher end gear and who also have a showroom in albany www.playtech.co.nz

for cables and networking equipment... www.cablesdirect.co.nz

Kro, if you want a list of good companies to deal with in Nelson, PM me and ill send you a small list.

kro
13th January 2007, 11:04
Word of warning.... PC Pacific is a newish crowd, who feature heavily on the cheap prices, but beware........ they take FOREVER to ratify receipt of payment, and confirm despatch. I was silly enough to buy an item of them 4 days ago.

I think you guys/gals are right, spend the little bit extra, and get some value for money service as well.

GR81
13th January 2007, 17:34
most of the online places don't hold stock, they only distribute from their suppliers.

Pathos
14th January 2007, 18:18
I used C1ShoppingMall www.c1com.co.nz for my latest purchases. Great selection and prices (if you cherry pick), ok communication - pretty sure they're an asian outfit.

NEVER backorder from an online store if you want you stuff to arrive on time, they have no control over their supplier and don't really have a clue when its arriving. If you do its not guaranteed to be late but I'm gonna have waited a month for my motherboard (good price tho :/ ).

xwhatsit
14th January 2007, 22:54
http://www.pctronix.co.nz/ is the goods -- decent range, outstanding service, fast shipping, and great personal conduct. Although, judging by most of you racist fucks, the fact that they are African, Indian and Chinese would piss you right off.

EDIT: From their `About' page:

PCTronix Ltd was started as a company because we felt that the general public was missing that personal touch when it comes to computer resellers. We felt that the market was being over-run by large unfeeling corporations.

PCTronix has become synonymous with expert computer advice. Most computer enthusiasts prefer to call on us. We can consistently provice a better price, and more importantly, they can be sure that they are not being sold the incorrect product.

We remember what it's like to be unsure. We can not only advise the computer enthusiast, but we can provide no-nonsense, jargon-less advice to the computer beginner. Time and time again, we hear that people are exasperated with IT-people who can't speak free of jargon.

Sound about the right attitude? They follow up on those words, too.

Cajun
15th January 2007, 08:01
I have been dealing with www.qmb.co.nz in auckland for well over 2 years now.

Never ever had a problem with them (problems with courier companys they sometimes use). Any faulty parts replaced quickly, if ordered something and website says it avaiable it is not, usual give you something slightly better than what you ordered.

other than i deal with techpac for more corprate sorta items

crash harry
15th January 2007, 09:36
I have been dealing with www.qmb.co.nz in auckland for well over 2 years now.

Never ever had a problem with them (problems with courier companys they sometimes use). Any faulty parts replaced quickly, if ordered something and website says it avaiable it is not, usual give you something slightly better than what you ordered.

other than i deal with techpac for more corprate sorta items

Here's another vote for QMB. I usually deal with them directly, not over the net, but they've been pretty good, and they're usually down at the pointy end of the price scale as well.

GR81
15th January 2007, 10:47
I used C1ShoppingMall www.c1com.co.nz for my latest purchases. Great selection and prices (if you cherry pick), ok communication - pretty sure they're an asian outfit.
they are the worst of them all!
don't try and claim anything under warranty etc

scracha
16th January 2007, 07:53
For gettin stuff quick I'd also vote qmb, used them for about 1.5 years. Returning goods hasn't been a problem either. madkiwi.com is also a pretty decent chap to deal with. Ascent customer service & selection is great but they're a bit dearer.

vifferman
16th January 2007, 08:02
Have you tried PB Technologies (http://www.pbtech.co.nz)? It's owned by the husband of a woman I used to work with. I dunno how their online service is, but they're pretty good otherwise.

kro
17th January 2007, 09:04
I have all but lost my rag with PC Pacific..........

I ordered the basics to build a PC, seeing as they reckoned all the bits I wanted were "in stock". I ordered, and suddenly I get an email saying "mobo and CPU not in stock". I went beserk immediately, and they up-specced both items to the next step up in performance/price.... ok, reasonable thing to do, I am happy again.

Order arrives today, and they sent me a SATA mobo, and an ATA HDD, after reassuring me that all parts would be "compatible". So now I have a DVD writer requiring an IDE socket, and an HDD requiring an IDE socket, and lo and behold, my mobo has but ONE IDE socket on it. MOTHER F#$KERS !!!!!

I will not subject you all to the email I just sent, but you can probably guess how it was worded.

imdying
17th January 2007, 09:23
Order arrives today, and they sent me a SATA mobo, and an ATA HDD, after reassuring me that all parts would be "compatible". So now I have a DVD writer requiring an IDE socket, and an HDD requiring an IDE socket, and lo and behold, my mobo has but ONE IDE socket on it. MOTHER F#$KERS !!!!!You can plug them both into the same socket... generally an IDE cable has two (three) plugs on it.

kro
17th January 2007, 09:31
Yes, I guess so, but then I cannot add another optical drive, unless I buy a sata HDD next time...

imdying
17th January 2007, 09:39
Why would you need more than 1 optical drive? You could of course get the next optical driver in SATA too...

bungbung
17th January 2007, 10:19
Another vote for www.ascent.co.nz.

kro
17th January 2007, 10:53
Plus I had another ATA HDD that I wanted to put in it, not to mention it's an ATX set up, and the IDE won't reach from the HDD bays to the optical drive bays..... bugger it all.

GR81
17th January 2007, 11:16
i can sell you a solution to fix your problems... msn me when ur online next.

scracha
17th January 2007, 11:22
Think I've got some used IDE cards lying around. I really wouldn't put up with being sent an IDE drive nowadays though. Tell them you want a SATA one. Your other alternative is a cheap IDE->USB enclosure although the performance drop is major and you can't boot XP from USB.

Gremlin
17th January 2007, 11:49
Why would you need more than 1 optical drive? You could of course get the next optical driver in SATA too...
mmm I have 2 physical, and at the mo, 2 virtual on my machine (can have up to 4 without much effort).

Advantage of 2 drives is when you are dealing with physical media, either extreme laziness when copying cd's (have both read and write in at the same time), or when backing cd's up onto computer, you can read 2 at the same time (only quick if being saved to different drives).

Also installing games, if a 2cd set, well written installs will pick up the second disk, without asking for it to be inserted.

As to IDE cable, it depends on the chassis whether you can plug in optical and hdd together (my chassis has 9x 5.25 bays only, so flexible), on one cable, and also preferences (I like my opticals up high, drives down low).

imdying
17th January 2007, 15:27
Also installing games, if a 2cd set, well written installs will pick up the second disk, without asking for it to be inserted.You mean it'll pick up the second virtual disk without asking for it :lol:

Gremlin
18th January 2007, 00:13
You mean it'll pick up the second virtual disk without asking for it :lol:
either :laugh: but errr...funnily enough, most discs seem to be virtual now... I keep losing all the physical ones, and searching my hdd is a lot easier :yes:

Calo
18th January 2007, 00:18
This week has been a classic, I had $900.00 dollars of my workmates money burning a hole in my bank account, waiting to be converted into a computer, and 3 of the online computer stores I sent emails to, with a simple question in each email, failed to respond to my email that day, in fact, 2 of them took 48 hours, and the 3rd has only just responded now, some 72 hours after the email was sent........ good Lord, if I did that at work, I would be shot after the 2nd hour.

I experienced a similar problem when I was shopping around for parts for a major upgrade a couple of years ago. Some of them didn't even bother to reply.

Suffice to say, the stores that replied promptly received my business. :yes:

Calo
18th January 2007, 00:22
Oh, and yet another vote for Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/). :)

Switch
18th January 2007, 00:24
I use www.pricespy.co.nz and the majority of the time www.supercheappc.biz shines through. I must say that nothing beats customer service than going into the shop and showing them money.

kro
18th January 2007, 08:31
My main gripe with Supercheap is their shipping charges, they are cheeky imo.

I refuse to pay 6 times for 6 items that could be chucked into one box, and have one courier ticket put on them, and still not go over the weight allowance for that ticket.

I went to purchase 6 items off them about 4 months back, I was buying 2 sticks of ram, a CPU (oem), a hard drive, a network card and a sound card, but when I saw that I was going to be charged per item, at a total of $45.00, I cancelled the order, and got all the same stuff for the same price, but for $15.00 shipping, and on a quicker courier from another PC store, because they were honest enough to admit that all the items fit in one nice small neat package.

The other shit I don't understand about Super cheap is how long they say the couriers take..... it's bogus.

imdying
18th January 2007, 09:09
either :laugh: but errr...funnily enough, most discs seem to be virtual now... I keep losing all the physical ones, and searching my hdd is a lot easier :yes:

500000000000001318 :msn-wink: :rofl: