PDA

View Full Version : Pre '89 bike build.

White trash
29th July 2004, 11:02
OK.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to diary in detail (including pics) what I'm doing to transform a $500 1986 GSXR750 into a hot rod track missile.

My reasons are to show just how easily and inexpensively a pre '89 bike can be built and encourage others to do the same.

There are a shitload of these machines all over NZ and it will definitely gain momentum very quickly.

Other good bikes would be FZR, ZXR750 or Fizzer thou. VF750s even RG or RZ500 if you want to be different.

If anyone is interested in building their own bike but not sure where to start, I'm happy to help out where I can with advise or helping source parts.

Frosty, you're dead :devil2:

vifferman
29th July 2004, 11:27
Is there a pre-89 class?

Motoracer
29th July 2004, 11:30
Are you still gunna do F2/F1 on the final round of club vic in Sep?

White trash
29th July 2004, 11:32
There sure is. Still in infancy at the moment but it's getting bigger.

My brother is building an FZR750. I think someone else from this forum is knocking together a ZXR750.

One of my workmate has a particularly hot GSXR11.

Get some numbers and this will be one of the most exciting racing classes to join.

I can't wait.

White trash
29th July 2004, 11:33
Are you still gunna do F2/F1 on the final round of club vic in Sep?

I'll do F1 on my shitty ol' 750. Give ya a fighting chance and all that. :whistle:

Motoracer
29th July 2004, 11:39
I'll do F1 on my shitty ol' 750. Give ya a fighting chance and all that. :whistle:

Lol, Alright then. I admit that I'll need all the advantage I can get since it is your home ground and it is still going to be my first time around the full circuit.

Now, if only I could not crash in practice/qualifying, I could really show my full potential during the race :whistle:

Actually what I ment was, I hope I don't crash at all! Damn these bins, my poor baby is looking pretty second right now :(

kerryg
29th July 2004, 12:34
OK.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to diary in detail (including pics) what I'm doing to transform a $500 1986 GSXR750 into a hot rod track missile.

My reasons are to show just how easily and inexpensively a pre '89 bike can be built and encourage others to do the same.

There are a shitload of these machines all over NZ and it will definitely gain momentum very quickly.

Other good bikes would be FZR, ZXR750 or Fizzer thou. VF750s even RG or RZ500 if you want to be different.

If anyone is interested in building their own bike but not sure where to start, I'm happy to help out where I can with advise or helping source parts.

Good on you WT.

A guy I know races in the pre-82 class on his TZ350 and has fun but he's a bit of a mobile chicane compared to the guys with 140hp litre bikes on slicks. So if it's about winning races it seems you need deep pockets as well as being a damn good rider. I heard talk of ~$30k investments and I can believe it looking at bikes like Vince Sharpe's and Craig Smith's.

It would be excellent if the pre-89s didn't follow the same costly route.

I know it's all very contentious and there are good points on both side of the argument but IMHO I like the idea of having a blast around on a cheap-ish only lightly-modified bike like a slab-sider GSXR750 without a big investment involved. Makes it easier to enter the sport, and less of a calamity if you bin it or it craps itself.

Hooks
29th July 2004, 12:59
OK.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the same with my old dinosaur ... might even be worth getting a part time job for ... if there is one thing a solo dad has it's time ..... and while I'm not exactly a mechanical genius :Pokey: I could learn my way quickly enough I think ..... My big problem is going to be able to afford some decent leathers & such ... might have to start looking around .......

Paul in NZ
29th July 2004, 13:40
My limited experience with building classic race bikes is that no matter what the era or class, in the end, someone will build an over the top in your face bike that will lift the bar and everyone else will need to spend BIG bucks to be competitive.

Even bucket racing went that way too. Building water cooled heads and barrells? Jeeze .....

However... The #1 rule is, pick a naturally competitive bike as a base.

Neils dread t140 in the pre '76 class. I don't care how much money we spend, it will never beat a Rob North framed Trident or Rocket 3. Thank god they don't let japanese bikes race or it would be worse. My mate that builds a Guzzi racer in a similar class in Aussie has to compete against 1100cc Honda SOHC 4's. All period moddifications of course but...

There is no such thing as cheap racing, unless you are happy at the back!

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid.... :laugh:

Kwaka-Kid
29th July 2004, 13:59
Nice one WT!!! I was thinking along the same lines... i only with i had the 1989 ZXR400... makes more power then my vfr400 and is alowed in Pre-89? Here at pukekohe my mate got 2nd place in pre89 on a GSXR1100, and what was his time? 1:13! my vfr is currently running 1:11 and reckon on a zxr with the minor extra top end that could be brough down... just think of it.. its a class atm so new its easy enough to win and make yah feel good!

kerryg
29th July 2004, 15:56
[

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid.... :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Yeah Paul I think I can't argue with your logic. I suppose it's just in the nature of competition in any sport. Judging from the NZPCRA's endorsement of slicks for pre 82s at their recent meeting the majority favour rules that clear the way for higher performance.

Maybe there should be new classes of racing like they used to have with minis , the cars that is (showing my age now). Practically no modifications allowed. But I guess that would not be an interesting class for a lot of riders and spectators and the turn outs for the existing pre-89 class have been very small anyway so it's hardly a goer really

White trash
29th July 2004, 16:27
[

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid.... :laugh:

Yeah Paul I think I can't argue with your logic. I suppose it's just in the nature of competition in any sport. Judging from the NZPCRA's endorsement of slicks for pre 82s at their recent meeting the majority favour rules that clear the way for higher performance.

Maybe there should be new classes of racing like they used to have with minis , the cars that is (showing my age now). Practically no modifications allowed. But I guess that would not be an interesting class for a lot of riders and spectators and the turn outs for the existing pre-89 class have been very small anyway so it's hardly a goer really
I don't think it's as much performance as it is safety.

A couple of those bikes have 150 hp at the tread plus. They need good fucken tyres.

FROSTY
29th July 2004, 16:29
Um er --bugger WT you just raised the bar on me.
So zxr750 with Olins rear shock and resprung front end and a hot can aint gunna cut the mustard-shit.
Ok guys --Needed -Hot cams for a zxr750
Ohh bugger WT hang on--I already have 17" rims to fit my slicks -no0w I just need the other half of my bike to turn up. :devil2:

Paul in NZ
29th July 2004, 16:59
There are some guys in the USA race 60's / 70's Honda 160 twins... Until they ran out of em....

then when CAMS started, they made virtually every Honda CB350 twin in ChCh disappear??

I'd buy your pre 89 bike NOW before they all go too....

Or do what the 160 / 350's did and get expensive...

White trash
5th August 2004, 08:11
In typical White trash fashion, I wanted to walk before I could run.

Bought the bike off OldR, (Thanks Mike) for a mere $500. Alot of you guys will remember him as the tall bogan looking dude that accompanied me to my first track day at Puke, then rode down 22 with Zed, Cold Kiwi, and Vladi then got lost.

Anyway, this bike ran like a hunk of shit that it is. I priced up having a 771 Wiseco kit installed, Stage II Yoshi cams and springs with big valves and flowed head for sprint/race applications.

CSL cams in P/North worked out the demon deal for me and it's all good. Problem is, I got no money so I had Hayden at WMCC do a tune up and valve clearances on it for the time being.

Whip the tappet cover off and "Arggh fuck!" The hardening on the cams and rockers is worn through. Looks like I'll need those cheat bits soon.

Problem is, I've ordered a Vance and Hines super sport full system from Annie at AMPS. And an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor so I've got less than no money.

Apparently, the thing will run for another million kays without the hardening so it'll have to do.

After the tune up and service, it's a completely different animal! It's actually awesome to ride! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I enjoy owning this bike more than my 600. Strange huh?

Anyway, next I'll be ordering the race fairings from Just fairings, at $575 for the set. Then having the painted Kevin Schwantz Trans Atlantic replica paint. If anyone has any photos or magazines with his bike in them, could I please borrow them?

Expenditure thus far is quite high but for anyone wanting to start racing, by no means nessecary (sp). Johann started racing on a stock one of these and was lapping Manfield in 1:16. No shock, no pipe, stock.

Bike= $500
Shock $1299
Exhaust system $1000 est.

I'm going to forgo the 771 kit as if the class gets big, I wont be elligible for 750cc class.

Cams and head work will be to the tune of $2400.

[/I]Hopefully[I] I'll be at the first round of the AMCC, but I'll definitely race at the final Vic round at Manfeild.

Ciao for now. :spudwave:

Kwaka-Kid
5th August 2004, 10:16
shit thats alot of work and money! I thought it was cheap like u buy the bike and race it?
on a stock '89 ZXR400 i bet with a set of tyres youd see easy 1:10's.. and whats one worth ? $2000?

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 10:31
well mine so far owes me $4000 to get on the track. 2k to buy then all the other bits it needed to be track worthy.

Kwaka-Kid
5th August 2004, 11:01
:( Yeh spose that sucks but still! I honestly reckon Pre 89 can be won or if not at least get top finishes on a stock ZXR400.. like i said last time my mate got 2nd running a 1:12 or something like that around pukekohe - either way my sick VFR had pulled a better time and a stock 89 ZXR would be putting out the same if not better horespower aswell as has the nice firm suspension std!.. And this is at pukekohe, imagine Taupo, a 400 would really show those big GSXR1100's! :D

White trash
5th August 2004, 12:23
:( Yeh spose that sucks but still! I honestly reckon Pre 89 can be won or if not at least get top finishes on a stock ZXR400.. like i said last time my mate got 2nd running a 1:12 or something like that around pukekohe - either way my sick VFR had pulled a better time and a stock 89 ZXR would be putting out the same if not better horespower aswell as has the nice firm suspension std!.. And this is at pukekohe, imagine Taupo, a 400 would really show those big GSXR1100's! :D

You sure?! I saw a guy on a GSX750F, no top fairing absolute shit box lapping Puke in 1.07 in standard Metzeler street tyres.

Christ! The thing didn't even have a pipe.

My 750 weighs only 179kg in road trim. A ZXR400 is surprisingly close to that and I've got 1 3/4 the power and a shitload more torque.

Remember, 3secs a lap is 30second difference in a 10 lap race. That's not exactly a close race.

aff-man
5th August 2004, 12:28
Yip i saw that guy on the gsx750f and man he was quick. WT you gonna be posting pics of all the progress?????

White trash
5th August 2004, 12:33
Yip i saw that guy on the gsx750f and man he was quick. WT you gonna be posting pics of all the progress?????

Sure will, but fuck I'm lazy!

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 12:40
You sure?! I saw a guy on a GSX750F, no top fairing absolute shit box lapping Puke in 1.07 in standard Metzeler street tyres.

Christ! The thing didn't even have a pipe.

My 750 weighs only 179kg in road trim. A ZXR400 is surprisingly close to that and I've got 1 3/4 the power and a shitload more torque.

Remember, 3secs a lap is 30second difference in a 10 lap race. That's not exactly a close race.
That guy was pitted next to me at the april track day.
He is a pommy racer with I think he said 5 seasons or racing behind him.
The pommy race season isn't like ours. Basicly theres racing everyweekend from spring to almost winter.
But yea He was friggin quick on that old shitbox

Kwaka-Kid
6th August 2004, 00:00
yeah fair enough WT, i do see your point i guess - all im saying is what ive seen of Pre 89!!! My mate honestly came 2nd with a tricked up Yoshi 1100, running 1:12somethings, now call him a shit rider - doesnt bother me but either way the bugger still got 2nd place.. im just saying hand us a stock ZXR400 and shes good for 1:10's i reckon, few mods and someone with talent will bring out 1:07's..

White trash
12th August 2004, 14:32
Add to the total $60 for a rear wheel. Kindly sourced by Celticno6.

Cheers for that dude.

I've also just ordered a new fairing frame which Colemans had as dead stock. This fucken things almost going to be too good to race.

kerryg
12th August 2004, 16:08
Add to the total $60 for a rear wheel. Kindly sourced by Celticno6.

Cheers for that dude.

I've also just ordered a new fairing frame which Colemans had as dead stock. This fucken things almost going to be too good to race.

Hey WT what rear wheel are you fitting (guess you've gone 17")?

White trash
12th August 2004, 16:44
Hey WT what rear wheel are you fitting (guess you've gone 17")?

Nah, I'm actually sticking with the 18 at the moment. At least untill the Ohlins goes in to get some ride height.

kerryg
13th August 2004, 10:33
Nah, I'm actually sticking with the 18 at the moment. At least untill the Ohlins goes in to get some ride height.

I put a GSXR1100F?G?H? 18" wheel on the rear of my GSXR750G (which has just been sold to a lucky KBer down your way) and it gained me 1/2" and it was SWEET.

Eddieb
19th August 2004, 12:32
So WT

It's been almost a month now, Where's the pics ya slack bugger!

riffer
19th August 2004, 14:15
So WT

Jeez Eddie its at the back of WMCC's workshop. Go round and see WT and he'll show you the bike....

and maybe even his dyno printout showing 130rwhp... :msn-wink:

White trash
19th August 2004, 15:10
So WT

Ah fuck! Sorry Eddie, I didn't think anyone was interested.

aff-man
19th August 2004, 17:37
I am tooo. Wanna see what she looks like :Punk:

White trash
20th August 2004, 08:01
I'm bowing to public pressure a posting shots of "The Machine".

I've listed them as R-rated images because there are ZXR750 riders out there who'd prefer not to see. The mere sight of this bike will have them trembling at the knees and crying for their mummy.

This is not pretty. PMs begging me to go easy on you at the track will remain unanswered so don't waste your time or mine.

Prepare to be shocked.........

Eddieb
20th August 2004, 11:58
Hmm it must be a sleeper, still looks like a bog standard old s**tter to me, and I'm a suzuki fan. (Ducks and hides behind thick wall before WT flames) :2guns:

Doesn't look like much external prepping has gone on. Still got lights, all the gauges etc. Whens the first race?

FROSTY
20th August 2004, 12:07
I'm bowing to public pressure a posting shots of "The Machine".

I've listed them as R-rated images because there are ZXR750 riders out there who'd prefer not to see. The mere sight of this bike will have them trembling at the knees and crying for their mummy.

This is not pretty. PMs begging me to go easy on you at the track will remain unanswered so don't waste your time or mine.

Prepare to be shocked.........
ROTFLMAO---holey shite--look its still got the spindly frame and origonal brakes . Yep Im shaking in my boots here. The thought of putting my poor ol zxr750 up against that BEAST --Actually you can probably hear the zxr's forks knocking together -its laughing so hard.
Wondering If perhaps I should put 750 stickers on mella yella to make WT feel better. :innocent:

White trash
20th August 2004, 12:10
Hmm it must be a sleeper, still looks like a bog standard old s**tter to me, and I'm a suzuki fan. (Ducks and hides behind thick wall before WT flames) :2guns:

Doesn't look like much external prepping has gone on. Still got lights, all the gauges etc. Whens the first race?

You underestimate the power of the force, young bucket racer.

Bear in mind this bike is my daily rider too. I can have it race stripped in 1 1/2 hours.

White trash
20th August 2004, 12:12
ROTFLMAO---holey shite--look its still got the spindly frame and origonal brakes . Yep Im shaking in my boots here. The thought of putting my poor ol zxr750 up against that BEAST --Actually you can probably hear the zxr's forks knocking together -its laughing so hard.
Wondering If perhaps I should put 750 stickers on mella yella to make WT feel better. :innocent:

Easy big fellah.

Who the hell do you think's putting your sad old ZXR back together?

I'm thinking I should bust out the ol' SRX600 RR SPS just to give your Kum-And-Suk-Me a fighting chance. :baby:

FROSTY
20th August 2004, 12:43
mental note to self -save insulting the mans bike untill after zxr is in auckland. :calm:
Hey seriously WT dya recall what state the zxr tyres were in?
Just The tyres up here are in good nick
You are getting the ol bus set up for sept 15th aint ya?

FROSTY
20th August 2004, 12:44
Easy big fellah.
I'm thinking I should bust out the ol' SRX600 RR SPS just to give your Kum-And-Suk-Me a fighting chance. :baby:
Ohh --you heard I was gonna run my baby zxr250 then ???

Eddieb
20th August 2004, 13:54
Bear in mind this bike is my daily rider too. I can have it race stripped in 1 1/2 hours.

Ah, didn't realise it was the daily ride as well, thought you'd be taking the pimp mobile in each day. That makes a little more sense.

Eddieb
20th August 2004, 13:58
Jeez Eddie its at the back of WMCC's workshop. Go round and see WT and he'll show you the bike....

Every time I go into WMCC Trashy is nowhere to be seen, sometimes I gotta wonder if he does actually work there. Not that I get down that way that often.

White trash
20th August 2004, 14:01
[QUOTE=celticno6]Jeez Eddie its at the back of WMCC's workshop. Go round and see WT and he'll show you the bike....QUOTE]

Every time I go into WMCC Trashy is nowhere to be seen, sometimes I gotta wonder if he does actually work there. Not that I get down that way that often.

Or maybe he's just hiding from ya, Eddie. :blah:

I remember you and your 888 wheels, don't worry.

I'm still real sorry about that. :(

Eddieb
20th August 2004, 14:10
I remember you and your 888 wheels, don't worry.
I'm still real sorry about that. :(

Ah shit happens mate, at least it was fixed good and proper and in good time, if it hadn't of been I'd have been pissed. But it was so I'm not.

realisation dawns... so thats why your always so nice and polite to me...

FROSTY
20th August 2004, 14:34
Oh shit eddie--now youll be treated with the same comntept the rest of us are :blah:
Act angry--pissed off even lol

Super Dino
26th August 2004, 07:43
WhiteTrash, nice old GSXR race project! I was doing a Google search on old GSXRs and somehow stumbled onto this thread.

I race a 1987 GSXR750 here in northern California with the AFM (American Federation of Motorcyclists, oldest club racing organization in the U.S.). The class I compete in is called Super Dinosaur. There's no displacement category, it's an age thing...the bike must be 17 years or older. It's a "rolling rule" so for 2004, bikes up to '87 are eligible, for 2005 bikes up to '88, etc.

Super Dino is a small class right now, we had only 6 bikes on the grid at the last race, but that will change next year since the 1988 FZR400 will be eligible ('88 was the first year the FZR was imported to the States so they are plentiful). Our club has many FZR400s so I expect the Super Dino grid to grow nicely in the next few seasons.

At the last race we had an '81 GS1100 (with a 155-hp engine and Bandit 1200 wheels/swingarm/forks), my '87 GSXR750, my teammate's '86 GSXR1100, an '85 GSXR750 Japan model, an '87 FZR400 Japan model, and an '87 CBR600 Hurricane. Blast from the past!

Super Dino runs under Superbike rules, so as long as the engine cases match the frame (no 7-11s), you can make lots of mods. I have a 771 kit, '93 GSXR600 inverted forks/triples/wheel (bolts right on), 6-piston Tokico calipers, HEL brake lines, Hindle exhaust, Fox Twin Clicker rear shock, rear wheel from a '92 GSXR750, and Daytona steering damper (had to drill hole in spaghetti frame to mount).

Another important modification was the installation of an '86 GSXR1100 pivot linkage for the rear shock, which raised the rear of the bike about 3 inches (sorry for the inch count, I'm not up to speed on that communist metric stuff, heh). This transformed the handling, enabling the bike to steer much faster. The original chassis geometry (which was never very good to begin with) was all screwed up after installing the 17-inch wheels and shorter inverted forks, so the 1100 linkage helped tremendously. The 1100 linkage is bigger so I had to grind it down so it wouldn't foul the frame, that wasn't hard, just trial and error with the grinder (and some cussing at the Suzuki engineer who chose a pivot linkage instead of regular dogbones).

I rode at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) back in April and managed a best lap of 1:54. After installing the 1100 linkage, I again rode at Infineon this month and did a best of 1:46. It's like having a whole new motorcycle, the bike is so much easier to flick into corners now.

Here's some pics of my last race on Aug. 8th:

http://www.mofoto.com/afm/august/albums/956/BA9C6686.jpg

http://www.garyratherphoto.com/AFM/2004/SP_Aug04/race_01/0408_0037.JPG

Here's the 1100 pivot linkage installed on my 750:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/willrick/1100linkageon750.jpg

Cheers!

FROSTY
26th August 2004, 08:04
hey gidday dino . I have always thought that a rolling rule should be the way to go. Only trouble is -Over here we just don't have enough people/money to build a new bike every year -you could imagine -every bugger would want the lateest available.
We have a class over here especially for 400 molti's -F3
guys are running V4 honda's, kwakka 400's,susuki gsxr400's and the like.
hey ya gotta stick around dude--Tell us about the race scene over there :spudwave: :spudwave:

Super Dino
26th August 2004, 09:25
Hey XJ, thanks for the welcome. Is it still g'day in NZ? You are what, about 40 hours ahead of Calif time? :killingme

The "rolling rule" is working out great so far, it's a new rule for '04. Last year there was one race where only one bike showed up for Super Dino (he won, what a shock), so at least we fixed that problem. I think we may get 8-10 at the next race if everybody who registered actually shows up to race.

The trouble with these old geezerbikes is they tend to break down a lot! At the first race back in March we lost two Kawis before the race even started, an old '74 KZ1000 (with GSXR front end and massive braced swingarm), and a '72 H2R triple (750cc two stroke factory racer....weighs 280 lbs and has 110 hp at the back wheel) both had bike problems and didn't make the race start. A couple months ago the GS1100 I mentioned couldn't bump start his bike after a red flag (total loss ignition with high compression, he uses a portable starter to fire it up before riding) so he was out. In that same race the cowling bracket broke on the '85 GSXR750 while he had a big lead. His bodywork starting coming off so he was black flagged, he came in for a quick patch-up with duct tape and finished 3rd. The phrase "that's racing" often comes into play, who knows what will happen at the track?

Our club has specific 400 classes too, 450 Production and 450 Superbike, so the FZR400s have plenty of places to play. We also have a very popular new class for '04 called Formula IV...it pits all kinds of wild bikes against each other: 650 Twins, 450 four-cylinders, Unlimited Singles, and 250cc two-stroke streetbikes. Since it's a Formula class, about the only rule is that it has two wheels and a throttle. Anything goes! There are usually 60-70 bikes on the grid for that class! It's a hit too, I think so far we've had a 650 winner, 450 winner, and Single winner. I don't think a 250 has won yet but the fast 250 guys are definitely running near the front.

Each one of those modified bikes has their own class to run too (250 Superbike, 650 Twins, Formula Singles, and 450 Superbike).

Not everybody can afford to run out and drop $10,000 USD on a new GSXR1000, spend another couple thousand prepping it for the track, then go out and race it, so it's great fun to have all these classes for the sub-200 horsepower bikes.

The VFR400/RVF400 racers are expecially impressive, there's a group of them who have been importing these Hondas (which were never sold in the U.S.) for racing, the last couple of seasons they have been doing extensive R&D trying to wring as much power as possible. Some of those guys are FAST, way faster than me and my '87 750. But they have bored'em up to 450cc, with ported heads, flatslide carbs, titanium rods and such, they are making around 80 hp at the wheel! My 750 probably has only a few more hp than that (I'm guessing 90 hp since I have stock CV carbs, stock cams and no headwork), and no way will an ancient 750 like mine handle as well as those nimble 400s.

We have some weird rules in my racing club though. Our "Production" classes require use of the stock exhaust can. But ported heads, aftermarket cams, high-compression pistons and 1mm overbores are legal! This really freaks out racers from other clubs who pop in to race with us from time to time, our rulebook is very different than most U.S. club racing orgs. Why, I have no idea. There's a push to possibly allow aftermarket exhausts in Production for '05, we'll see how that goes. In the meantime there will be lots of racers spending $3k-$4k to have their engine hot-rodded, then sticking it back in the bike with a stock exhaust can. Absolutely crazy.

Do you guys have any web pages showing your racing exploits?

kerryg
26th August 2004, 10:52
Hey XJ, thanks for the welcome. Is it still g'day in NZ? You are what, about 40 hours ahead of Calif time? :killingme

Hi Dino. In fact when you fly into New Zealand the pilot tells ya to turn your watch back 10 years......

We are a simple rustic people, eking a meagre living from the land, fond our our livestock :buggerd: and whiling away our days whittling and weaving......

Super Dino
26th August 2004, 11:34
No worries Kerry, I saw the Peter Jackson trilogy so I understand. You should hire those Orcs as pub bouncers. What's that old joke from Wales? "Honest officer, I was only helping the sheep through the fence." :msn-wink:

But then I know about fast racers like Aaron Slight and Simon Crafar, whom I coincidentally have met both. I met Crafar at Suzuka in 1999 at the 8-Hour, he was walking up the paved path near the Suzuka restaurant carrying a box. Man, that guy walks faster than most people jog.

I met Slight at Sugo in '97, he had a mohawk haircut, haha. Sharing a paddock with Kocinski can cause you to do crazy things I guess, John has a "difficult teammate" reputation. :blah:

Didn't Flyin' Fred Merkel retire to NZ?

Cajun
26th August 2004, 11:42
No worries Kerry, I saw the Peter Jackson trilogy so I understand. You should hire those Orcs as pub bouncers. What's that old joke from Wales? "Honest officer, I was only helping the sheep through the fence." :msn-wink:

But then I know about fast racers like Aaron Slight and Simon Crafar, whom I coincidentally have met both. I met Crafar at Suzuka in 1999 at the 8-Hour, he was walking up the paved path near the Suzuka restaurant carrying a box. Man, that guy walks faster than most people jog.

I met Slight at Sugo in '97, he had a mohawk haircut, haha. Sharing a paddock with Kocinski can cause you to do crazy things I guess, John has a "difficult teammate" reputation. :blah:

Didn't Flyin' Fred Merkel retire to NZ?

Yup Flying Fred Merkel is here, i did a track day with him teaching us, as well as another one of nz top racers. It was orginzed by the local uylsses(old farts) club, but was good day

He does some sorta welding metal work or something like that business, make brake disc or somethinhg

WMCC
3rd September 2004, 12:36
Well. recently, I've done sweet FA to the bike, instead focussing my attentions on sabotaging the oppossitions machine.

Frosty's bike is coming along quite nicely, thankyou.

But......today I get the phone call from the lovely Annie at AMPS and da-da-ta-daahhhh!

MY PIPE HAS ARRIVED!

Garaunteed to give me an extra 50hp and 100kph top speed. See the friendly folks at AMPS (if you're in Auckland) for all your Vance and Hines requirements.

Cajun
3rd September 2004, 13:07
Well. recently, I've done sweet FA to the bike, instead focussing my attentions on sabotaging the oppossitions machine.

Frosty's bike is coming along quite nicely, thankyou.

But......today I get the phone call from the lovely Annie at AMPS and da-da-ta-daahhhh!

MY PIPE HAS ARRIVED!

Garaunteed to give me an extra 50hp and 100kph top speed. See the friendly folks at AMPS (if you're in Auckland) for all your Vance and Hines requirements.

nice vance and hines

loved the one on my old gsxr1100

kerryg
3rd September 2004, 13:29
Garaunteed to give me an extra 50hp and 100kph top speed. .

Yeah right :moon:

White trash
3rd September 2004, 17:00
Yeah right :moon:

Nah straight up 50hp. Sez so right..........

Eddieb
3rd September 2004, 17:21
Guaraunteed to give me an extra 50hp and 100kph top speed.

Nah straight up 50hp. Sez so right..........

100kph top speed, and you need an extra 50hp to get there? :moon:

Maybe theres hope for Frosty yet

riffer
3rd September 2004, 21:59
100kph top speed, and you need an extra 50hp to get there? :moon:

Maybe theres hope for Frosty yet Maybe WT's talking about an EXTRA 100km/hr top speed, up from 180km/hr, to 280km/hr?

Actually, today I checked out a bit of a nice potential pre'89er.

Gixxerfan's 1987 GSXR1100 slabside. RF900 front end, 1992 17 inch GSXR1100 rear, Ohlins shocks, custom machined tripleclamps.

Your bike might still be a bit underpowered methinks WT.

Lucky you can outride them all in the corners... :not:

Blakamin
3rd September 2004, 22:29
When is the cut off for pre 89??? my bike is registered as 88 but according to 440greybikes.com, she's 89 ?????

riffer
3rd September 2004, 22:32
When is the cut off for pre 89??? my bike is registered as 88 but according to 440greybikes.com, she's 89 ?????
Well Frosty's going to be running a 1989 ZXR750, so that should give you a rough idea....

kerryg
6th September 2004, 14:27

The rules state (and I quote) " ...manufactured after the closing date of the period 1982 class and before December 31st 1989". When your bike was first registered isn't relevant (I've got an 89 build year FZR600 first registered in 1991)

Build date is usually on the factory VIN label thingamabob....

White trash
7th September 2004, 12:11
The pipe that's worth more than the bike has arrived. Fuck it's flash.

Obnoxiously loud and shiny. Big ups to Annie at AMPS for getting it here so quick. Ta muchly.

I'll post pics when I get it fitted :soon:

Blakamin
7th September 2004, 12:40
The pipe that's worth more than the bike has arrived. Fuck it's flash.

I'll post pics when I get it fitted :soon:

Cant wait for the pics...
its not the bike you were riding Sat & Sun was it?

White trash
7th September 2004, 13:08
Cant wait for the pics...
its not the bike you were riding Sat & Sun was it?

Sure is. Bloody stunner aint she?

merv
7th September 2004, 13:27
WT it looked OK to me - so what if it has a few fairing panels missing?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3340

Blakamin
7th September 2004, 14:17
Sure is. Bloody stunner aint she?

Has no problems going around everyone! :niceone:

and why bother with rego??? i see it has no indicators or nufin! wouldnt you be better having no plate and just running?

FROSTY
7th September 2004, 14:45
NOBODY tell WT that his pipe went down via takapuna welding.
Im sure he wont notice the 4 penny washers welded inside the pipe.
that 50hp gain could just be a 10hp loss.
Oh and WT -no I don't wanna see pics of you monoing my zxr on the net
But thanks for the offer mate :Punk:
Seriously though guys WT is a fucking legend-He fitted my motor and the zxr is in principle ready to ride. :love2: :love2:

bloodnut
30th November 2004, 14:22

Sorry mate no chance. i know of several bikes under construction for this class and 1:10's wont be close.

I got around Puke in 1992 on a standard 1987 model 750 in 102's (with a slight misfire coming out of the hairpin). i believe 60 second laps will see you in the top three once this class gets going.

cheers
Red

badlieutenant
30th November 2004, 14:56
Sorry mate no chance. i know of several bikes under construction for this class and 1:10's wont be close.

I got around Puke in 1992 on a standard 1987 model 750 in 102's (with a slight misfire coming out of the hairpin). i believe 60 second laps will see you in the top three once this class gets going.

cheers
Red
those big old gsxr's shouldnt be underestimated. my mate was a motox'r and he loved his gsxr cause he had plenty of power just to step the back out any time he wanted to. Only mad bastard ive seen do redline up 3-4 gears on a metal road, on a 93 gsxr (i think).

Will Beard
28th December 2004, 01:17
Hi from Wanganui,
Saw some great racing at the cemetary 04. :doobey: This convinced me that i had to get back on track again just for the hell of it. My pre 89 is a 1986 GSXR 1100 aquired about three months ago. So far to date i have purchased on trade me , a set of race fairings to preserve the originals, 1 x rear race stand and various other parts. The bike was a bit of a lemon but with a lot of elbow greese and a military strip and clean shes starting to look the part. Will attach the photo of it before race /street prep. :2thumbsup
I will endevour to post more pics as it progresses.
Ps anyone got the actual rules for this class ?

sedge
2nd January 2005, 10:34
PM Lynda Blair, she's got a copy, otherwise I'll dig my copy out for you on Wednesday when I'm back at work... PM me your Email address and I'll send em thru. Ta.

Actually, these might be a good sticky for this forum ? Anyone know how to do this ?

Cheers,

Sedge.

LB
11th January 2005, 05:07
Anyone wanting a copy of the rules flick me a PM.

(Sedge, I did send them through to Will Beard)

Will Beard
13th January 2005, 19:13
Thanks for the pre 89 class rules :rolleyes:
Will post pics as bike progresses :soon:

Regards Will

DrDee
25th January 2005, 16:37
I have a 1987 FZR1000 sitting in my shed, dreaming about getting pimped up. Where would be the obvious place for me to start? Exhaust? carbs?

SPman
25th January 2005, 16:58
I have a 1987 FZR1000 sitting in my shed, dreaming about getting pimped up. Where would be the obvious place for me to start? Exhaust? carbs?

Ummm....could I suggest, from the sound of the opposition, start by checking your bank balance.

sedge
25th January 2005, 19:49
Exactly... Yikes... I was thinking get a shite old bike and race against other shite old bikes... but no... What they really need is a budget class... IE $3k is all you can spend, no freebies and you have to show reciepts from real shops or people you DON'T know for the good bits on your bike.

Sedge.

DrDee
26th January 2005, 20:11
Damn! Money wrecks everything when you don't have enough of it :angry:

Almost need a stock-pre 89 class so everyone can have a go.

curious george
26th January 2005, 20:21
Bit quiet from WT and his project....... What's the latest?

redrogan
26th January 2005, 20:25
He sold it.

FROSTY
20th February 2005, 17:05
Mate Unless you're a really hot rider what I'd do is give her an oil/filter change,throw on some really good road tyres and go out and learn to ride the bike.
I know that sounds arrogant but having been there done that I think you'll find that on the track you'll have plenty of stomp.
Given my 20-20 vision in hindsite what I would do is invest time and effort into the suspension setup- Believe me the r1100 might dust ya down the straights -but youll out brake him and outcorner him if ya set the fizzer up propperly
With my pre89er money (or lack thereof) decided me I would focus on making the bike handle as good as possible, Lightening everything down even stripping out the wiring loom and make maximum use of every one of the measley 55hp the stock zxr motor is putting out.
Budget is totally blown to hell so its time to see if frosty can put his money where his mouth is and actually ride a race bike.
My plan is for a top 3 finish in the club series in pre89 junior
Given I missed 1 meeting totally and only pulled 45 points from the second round its a hell of a big ask--but heres hopeing.

FROSTY
6th May 2005, 02:39
guys there must be hundreds of good ex race bikes lurking around. 89 cbr600's or fzr600's hey tzr250's are fine.
look if i can get a third place in pre89 senior and win races in pre 89 junior you lot can come whip my ass on ya old bikes.

Brian d marge
6th May 2005, 03:31
Good on you WT.

A guy I know races in the pre-82 class on his TZ350 and has fun but he's a bit of a mobile chicane compared to the guys with 140hp litre bikes on slicks. So if it's about winning races it seems you need deep pockets as well as being a damn good rider. I heard talk of ~$30k investments and I can believe it looking at bikes like Vince Sharpe's and Craig Smith's.

It would be excellent if the pre-89s didn't follow the same costly route.

I know it's all very contentious and there are good points on both side of the argument but IMHO I like the idea of having a blast around on a cheap-ish only lightly-modified bike like a slab-sider GSXR750 without a big investment involved. Makes it easier to enter the sport, and less of a calamity if you bin it or it craps itself.
I agree with the post ..I disagree with spending 30 k ON a bike ,,,,I believe you can get there for a WHOLE lot less but you need to think about what you are doing ..,,I race mx here in Japan ,,,( I am the one at the back ..) ...I made one of those Life choices ...( gave up tryng to spell decitions..decisions what ever !
So I am concentrating on the engineering, side of bikes moving into the suspension side
Now to basically illustrate my point , one of those american mx /super cross riders used an 93 Cr for a number of seasons ..because it was exactly what he needed ..they just changed the plastic to look good ,,,,

Now I started with a 86 cr ..rode that till I was good at falling off , found the limitations ,,then slowly kept an eye out for the bits i needed ...example I am using showa forks of a 125 2000 ish nice shiny new ish ,,,( picked up on ebay very cheap,,,) ..but has the spring rate i needed ,,,and I will see soon if I need to revalve,,,
As my skills improved so did the limits i found ,,As we speak I have just spent the week putting to gether a very NEW 91 cr ( well 90 something ,,,as the bits come from all over ,,,,,) ,,,I bought the base bike VERY cheap ,,as it looked shit ,,but under neath there was a lot of really good stuff ,,,,....So all in all I have now ended up with a very good mx bike ,,may not be the latestin fashion . :whocares: .but it handles and steers pretty well and has plenty of power ,,,but not down low ..I am working on that ....( the 4 stroke have the traction out of the corners and I don catch em till nearly the end of the straight bit,,,hard work for me,,,)
The point being the bike aint fasionable ,,but it does the biz and cost sod all all up INCLUDING running cost still is 1/3 of a 4 stroke af a few years vintage!!!...
This summer I will dial it all in to give low end punch and suspension to die for ...ohlins ,,dont need ,,can make the stock one ..fit my riding style and still have lots of beer tokens left
No a cbr 600 may have 80 bhp against an r6 ( or what ever they are called now ) ..but at the end of the day ,,its power to wieght ,,,and keeping the wheel alignment .....oh forgot about stopping ......
These bike were designed for ease of maufacture ,,not dymaxion Engineering ( means most efficient shape /or least use of energy ) ...it just needs thought ,,,and a can do approach ...

Stephen
Who is looking out for Yz body work for the cr to give the bike a modern look .....well ...underneath it all I am still a fashionistia ..( and a cheap bastard ) at heart .... rekon it might fit .....

Deano
26th August 2006, 08:00

Well, for around $2k, you can pick up a pretty decent 400cc CBR, ZXR, FZR, GSXR........seem to be very competitive in Pre 89 Junior, at least in this neck of the woods anyway.

TonyB
26th August 2006, 09:54
Great read! I love this "New Bike Posts" thing- cuts out most of the crap.
I'm reeeeaaalllly hoping that Pre-89 will get going down here. She may be heavy, but my FZR1000W EXUP is elligable and with 126HP at the wheel with 50,000k's on the clock it's a bloody good starting point:yes:

Kickaha
26th August 2006, 13:30
I'm reeeeaaalllly hoping that Pre-89 will get going down here. She may be heavy, but my FZR1000W EXUP is elligable and with 126HP at the wheel with 50,000k's on the clock it's a bloody good starting point:yes:

But didn't you get passed by a pre 82 bike last time out? :bleh:

I think it'll be a while before it happens down here :yes:

cowpoos
26th August 2006, 13:48
But didn't you get passed by a pre 82 bike last time out? :bleh:

I think it'll be a while before it happens down here :yes:
I'm gunna come down there and give you a bloody learn soon you cocky lil buggar!!!!!

TonyB
26th August 2006, 17:18
But didn't you get passed by a pre 82 bike last time out? :bleh: Thats cause I can't ride.

I think it'll be a while before it happens down here :yes: Knowing my luck it will happen about 3 weeks after I sell the FZR:yes: