PDA

View Full Version : Performance Exhausts - RVF400

Kwaka-Kid
4th June 2003, 16:58
hey guys, just wondering.. im tossing and turning about what brand/style/other stuff exhaust system/just can i should get.  RVF400 with stock pipe on and its a RACE ONLY bike.

i was told hte origonal headers are already really good on them and the VFR's so dont bother oversizing, which would save me money, so i guess im mainly looking @ silencer... what should i get? i want a specific one made for an RVF400 NC35 dont i? approx price/any sites people? -ive emailed TYGA australia as they are working on one, but they havnt replied yet if they have made one yet or not (site says coming soon)

bluninja
4th June 2003, 17:22
For the price of a muffler, you could get some decent rubber which would make you go far faster around the track than any marginal hp gains from a slip on. As it's a race bike, you shouldn't really care how it sounds, just where it finishes. BTW one person that I overtook(rare I know) said it was unfair that I was using a quiet exhaust as he didn't know I was behind him cos he couldn't hear me.

BTW a Yoshimura RS3 stainless steel slipon for the SV650 is $895 and a full system is $1495. However TwoBrothers full system is only $1200 and M4 $1100. Prices aren't drastically diferent for different model bikes I wouldn't think....but I may well be wrong here. Even on a full system I can only expect 4-7 hp increase on a bike that puts out about 65 as standard, I can get 4 hp just advancing the ignition 4 degrees and the widget for that costs about $55. I want to do this, but first I want to imrpove the suspension so I can brake harder and corner faster, and that's cheaper than an exhaust system.

Why not race standard for a few meets before tweaking the bike....especially when you already skimp on basics for your road bike :gob:

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
4th June 2003, 19:57
firstly: thanks for replying, secondly: i dont give a f*** what it sounds like mate, im talking pipe for performance! - sound is the thing i care least about (or at all!)

but anyways thanks for that info.. will bare in mind, TYGA have just replied.. here is their message:

-PAUL @ TYGA australia
<DIV>We have just completed production of a complete race system for the NC30/NC35. The headers are stainless steel and the silencer either carbon or aluminium tube. The price is $550.00 US for the carbon system and $490.00 US for the one with the aluminium silencer. In dyno tests, the system gave 7 horsepower more than stock on a NC35.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Shipping to New Zealand is $85.00</DIV>
<DIV>- END QUOTE</DIV>
<DIV>what do you guys think? ive sent a reply asking just about hte can/price. awaiting reply.</DIV>

Racey Rider
4th June 2003, 20:38
O to be young again,,, desposable income,,, no girl to spend it on,,, Not a care in the world,,, except those 7 extra Hp!

>what do you guys think?
Does that include me?:buggerd:
I think you should listen to bluninja!:Punk:

Why spend all that money on a exhaust in your first year?? Better to buy the best tyres you can find. That will give you more grip. More grip, more confidence! More confidence, faster lap times.:niceone:

Then when when you've half shagged them,, you can sell them on to Me!:rolleyes:

Kwaka-Kid
4th June 2003, 20:50
hahahaha! dude, ask any of the kiwibikers here, if they know me well enough.&nbsp; My understanding of Half worn tyres = ones that have almost lost sight of tread... they still got anohter 50% after that :P&nbsp;&nbsp; hahaha! its so true.

&nbsp;would like to be on the receiving end however of anyone with half decent tyres etc? oneday acutally, when i can afford.

bluninja
4th June 2003, 20:50
Racey, yup it's great to be young and have disposable income :D I just wish I was small and thin enough to be able to compete in GP125 and SS150:)

TTFN&nbsp;

Hoon
5th June 2003, 14:24
Yes I suggest good tyres being your first mod.&nbsp; There is no point trying to make extra power when you can't even get it to the ground.&nbsp; Sure you might be a bit faster on the straight but its the corners that matters the most.

Slicks vastly improved my confidence in&nbsp;the bike and made my learning curve&nbsp;easier&nbsp;because I know the bike can handle everything I can throw at it and more.&nbsp; The biggest bottleneck to going fast is rider ability, not machinery so you should be focusing on improving your ability to learn quickly and confidently (by fast I mean pushing your machine to its limits).

If someone can jump on your bike and do lap times 5 secs quicker than you, what does that say?&nbsp; And how will improving the machinery make this any different?

Also like you, my RGV250 is my first real race bike.&nbsp; I don't expect to win the NZ250GP on it.&nbsp; Its purpose is soley to teach me how to race so performance mods take a back seat to other mods like grip, brakes, handling and reliability.&nbsp; I am also reluctant to invest much money into this bike since I am learning there is always the possibility that I will junk it next track day.

Once I am confident in my riding abilities and am&nbsp;fast then I plan to invest in a more competitive machine and pass this bike onto another learner.&nbsp; Thats when I will buy stuff like shiny exhausts and race fairings with proper paint jobs instead of my spray can styles :)

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 15:14
HP means fuck all if you can't ride the bike (those with delicate ears, please excuse my french).&nbsp; How many of us have seen people outridden by people on less powerful bikes?&nbsp; It's happened plenty to me.

My advice - tyres, handling and braking should be first things attended to.&nbsp; No point having power if you can't turn and stop - in fact if your bike doesn't do these effectively - having more power is more trouble than help.

Forget about the pipes - the power gains are nominal.&nbsp; You need to focus on

Getting good rubber that you TRUST
Setting the bike up properly for you - levers/suspension etc
Making sure everything is mint - brake fluid, pads, clutch, oil, fork oil, dampers, shocks, springs, filters, rims, chain, sprockets.&nbsp; You are better to take the preventation rather than cure approach.

Then once you have settled in to the bike - look for more power.&nbsp; At that level of racing it is more about maintaining corner speed than outright power.

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 15:22
PS - I agree with Hoon.

In most situations the rider is holding the bike back - not the bike the rider.

Take your accident for example - the bike didn't cause this (the tyres helped tho).

Hoon is right in saying compensating for rider skill by buying/making the trickest bike will always get found out in the end.&nbsp; Ultimately a great rider on an average bike will beat a poor rider on the greatest bike.&nbsp;

It is not about the ultimate potential of the bike, but the ability of the rider to use that potential.&nbsp; Rider A is extremely experienced and can extract 100% of a bikes potential.&nbsp; Rider B is a novice, and only gets to 75% of the bikes outright potential (tyres sliding/countersteering/reversing in to corners).&nbsp; This effectively means that Rider A can have a bike 0-24% below the bike Rider B is riding and still beat him - that is a big margin in riding.

You can make the trickest bike in the world - but you need to be able to tap that potential.&nbsp; Your best gains come from improving your riding as these skills follow you from bike to bike.

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2003, 16:17
ahh very true. alrite alrite ill agree :)

but thne why bother upgrading tyres? their limit is prolly further then my skill.. and the front tyre has a good 10% tread left and hte rear has around 30-40% - damn thats about the best tread ive riddin on, and the tyres were manufactured in 1999, thats like way new! compared to ones in 1981 etc (hah like the gs1000)

and the tyres are different each end, ones a&nbsp;michy and the other is a.. hmm metz from memory?&nbsp; - and at least this bike doesnt leak fork oil! im so thankfull, the GS1000 now has it all over breaks and front tyre.. i dont worry about it dirpping engine oil on driveway, just lots of fork oil, well i spose there cant be too much left to leak out.. altho i said that before taking a rag to the last WOF and quickly wipeing them down before he checked ;) - oh and also at least the&nbsp;GS has 50% of its front suspension, as its only the left leg leaking :)

Wet days like coming home today make life even more interesting... argh gotta go blimmin dad yellin down hte hall! laters all!

Dave
5th June 2003, 17:52
kk.-but thne why bother upgrading tyres? their limit is prolly further then my skill..

new tyres will give you a margin for error as you learn to ride quicker.

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2003, 21:10
if there is no error, you need no margin.

ahhhh now why didnt i think of not making errors earlier! :P

hahaha! true true alrite ya old blimmin beggas ill buy bloody new tyres.. *cough* oneday *cough* i mean,*whack* &nbsp;i will i will mummy..

Hoon
6th June 2003, 10:37
Trust me, you won't be disappointed.&nbsp; I'd could never feel comfortable racing on street tyres now that I've tasted what slicks have to offer.&nbsp; Save your street tyres, get a spare set of rims and use them as intermediates if it ever rains on race day.

You don't have to buy brand new, go to a race meet and buy some 2nd hand tyres off some of the serious racers who throw their tyres away after each meet.&nbsp;

Once you start passing R1s and GSXR1000's on the corners you will realise just how much difference&nbsp;good tyres really make!

wkid_one
6th June 2003, 10:47
You could try making your own tyres - can't be that hard - just go the Whitcouls and buy a shit load of erasers and melt them down?