PDA

View Full Version : Pc. set up

GIXser
13th January 2007, 07:27
any gurus out there that can help me sort out a prob on my pc, just installed it at home, its not new , when i plug in my lan, its not finding it.

Cheers

The_Dover
13th January 2007, 07:33
i'm not a gynaecologist but I'll take a look for you edweiner

paturoa
13th January 2007, 07:35
Has this PC been on a LAN before?

If no then start at the lan cable - are the little lights on the lan card flashing green?

If yes then what operating system is on it?

Drunken Monkey
13th January 2007, 09:02
Should've told me yesterday, I would've had a look for you when I was there.

GIXser
13th January 2007, 09:31
Should've told me yesterday, I would've had a look for you when I was there.

sweet wanna have a look when ya pick up the bike??

boomer
13th January 2007, 09:42
Is there a light on where the lan cable is plugged into the pc?

if so, restart all pc's and router/switch and goto network settings and use teh wizard "setup a home or small network"... complete, restart, turn off all anti virus shit and see if that works

Deviant Esq
13th January 2007, 10:11
If it's Windows XP it should be really simple - just run Network Setup Wizard and you should be good to go. Just make sure the network's set on Automatically detect settings. Oh, and ZoneAlarm sucks. If you remember one thing, remember that. It's almost totally pointless on XP (with service pack 2 anyway), and even if your broadband works with it, it usually slows it down as much as 50%.

If you're not on XP it can be a bit of a bitch, and requires much restarting and even more cursing. Usually it also doesn't work as easily on automatically detect settings, so it's better to manually set the IP address and subnet mask so it's got a nice carrot dangling in front of it.

GR81
13th January 2007, 10:14
if there is no link light on your NIC or switch, then there is your problem.
first thing you need is a link light otherwise you're going nowhere fast.

scracha
13th January 2007, 12:10
if there is no link light on your NIC or switch, then there is your problem.
first thing you need is a link light otherwise you're going nowhere fast.

Word of caution. Sometimes the light can be on but the cable is still f@#$cked. This is especially common with gigabit ethernet equipment. I've had all 8 lights come on with the ethernet cable tester and after much head scratching found that switching the cables fixed the problem. Whilst cat5e is normally ok for gigabit ethernet some cat5e is better than others.

If the cable is OK and assuming it's windoze,
Your basic test is to turn off your firewall (temporarily)
Click start then run, type "CMD" & press enter
type "ipconfig /all" then press enter. Cut n' paste us the results.

Your IP address is normally 192.168.1.something or 10.0.0.something
The gateway should point to your router/modem. It should be in the same range (i.e. 192.168.1.something or 10.0.0.something)

type "ping " followed by your gatway's ip address (e.g. ping 192.168.1.1)
You should normally get a response.

One other thing to try is (after getting your ISP's settings) just resetting your router as some just $hit out every now and then (there's normally a button on the back accessible with a pin).

Sorry if this is egg suckin lesson.

Drunken Monkey
13th January 2007, 16:23
sweet wanna have a look when ya pick up the bike??

argh! you should've reminded me, it would have been no problem!