PDA

View Full Version : Fuses, is this harmful ?

jade
14th January 2007, 18:11
Just wondering, for no apparent reason I have been blowing the #15 fuse over the last week - 3 times, All it does is take away my dash display, lights indicators and tacho...
So today when I went to replace it I didnt have a #15 left so put a 20 in there, is this ok ??? went out for a couple hours today, no problems
Can this damage the electrical system in any way >????
Will the 20 be less likely to blow ?

Jantar
14th January 2007, 18:15
yes, it will be causing damage. If a 15A is blowing yet a 20A is not, then you don't have a short circuit, but something is overloaded and you need to find out what it is. The fuse is there to protect the wiring and by passing a higher current than the wiring is designed for it may start to get hot and eventually a short will result.

Firefight
14th January 2007, 18:17
its there for a reason

have a read.

http://www.contentmart.com/ContentMart/content.asp?LinkID=30445&CatID=327&content=1

F/F

Wasp
14th January 2007, 18:32
fuses are to protect your equipment from being damaged when a dangerous load is drawn through it and the fuse, increasing the fuse to a 20amp means it WILL NOT blow and it WILL NOT save your equpiment.

theres a mabye in there somewhere too...

notme
14th January 2007, 19:52
see if you can find a service manual, (specifically a wiring diagram) for your bike on the net..... of the things you list that stop when the fuse blows, the indicators/lights are the most likely to have a fault. Anything unusual about your indicators/lights mate? Changes, replacements, weird behaviour etc?

jade
15th January 2007, 08:16
Im glad I asked, ill replace it today.

Im pretty good with mechanics but as for electrics im lost,
I do have a couple of problems,
I did strip my bike down when I crashed it and put it back together - everythings all good but here are my problems

My LAP button doesnt work.
My brake light is constantly ON - but only when the lights are fully on
and nothing happens when I push either brake
My left headlight does not work - I took this to cyclespot who reassembled it but it still does not work - The RIGHT does - But it is only HIGHBEAM

If anyone who knows electrics on the shore could help me out Id appreciate it..

jade
15th January 2007, 08:18
I should also add that the lap timer and left headlight have been faults since I got the bike (only 2) a few months ago
The rear brake light being constantly on is a fairly new problem - 3 weeks
and the fuse blowing has only happened in the last week.

NinjaNanna
15th January 2007, 08:37
I did strip my bike down when I crashed it and put it back together - everythings all good but here are my problems ..

Sounds to me like when you put everything back together the wiring harness wasn't sitting properly and possibly it has rubbed through and is earthing out on the chassis somewhere, this would definately cause your fuse to blow.

Don't fret too much cause its not the end of the world, I'd start by stripping all the fairings off and look to see if this is the case.

My LAP button doesnt work
My brake light is constantly ON - but only when the lights are fully on and nothing happens when I push either brake..

Are you sure that it isn't the tail light thats on and the brake light is either blown or disconnected???

My left headlight does not work - I took this to cyclespot who reassembled it but it still does not work - The RIGHT does - But it is only HIGHBEAM..

This is really starting to sound like a connector that isn't pushed all the way together or is dirty????

If anyone who knows electrics on the shore could help me out Id appreciate it..

I have used up all my browny points with my wife this weekend servicing my bike but if you post the electrical diagram I can take a look at it and give you some more ideas either that or perhaps Wed night when she goes to Touch Footy we could take a quick look.

Cheers

NN

jade
15th January 2007, 12:47
I disagree with the wiring harness rubbing through as it has been reassembled for quite some time now and the fuses have only just blown -
although I see what you mean - it would take time for it to rub...

I did take all the fairings off today and check all the connections are tight and such... - as well as replacing that fuse..

As for the tail light, No I am not sure about that - All I know is that its on pretty bright, the number plate light is also on and that pushing either brake does not change it - have been over connections into wiring loom and into light itself, have not had a go at the switch..

The other thing I have just remembered about the LEFT headlight (the one that doesnt work) is that the park light does work, the actual light doesnt..

Jeaves
15th January 2007, 16:54
if your ever in the city , i can have a geeze for ya .

stify
15th January 2007, 16:59
[QUOTE=cjade1;897736]
As for the tail light, No I am not sure about that - All I know is that its on pretty bright, the number plate light is also on and that pushing either brake does not change it -QUOTE]

did ya take the bulb out at some stage ? (tail/brake bulb)