PDA

View Full Version : DR died going through big bogs?

soundbeltfarm
14th January 2007, 19:23
went trail riding today and after riding for about 20 mins just about every time i went through a puddle (about as deep as the 3/4 height of front wheel)
the bike would die.
then it wouldn't start and it would take a bit of turning over until it would start then it ran only if i was blipping throttle and then come right , but for rest of the day it wouldn't idle on its own very well.
This happened about 8 times during the day and really has me baffled as when i got home i started the bike and ran it for awhile then got the farm high pressure hose and blasted it every where over the electrical system and the bike wouldn't die.
i tried this for awhile and it still ran.
the one thing i noticed afterwards was there was shit in my airbox so not sure if this could have caused it.
but it seemed to happen so fast after i hit the water that the bike would die.
a couple of times it would die and start again as i let the clutch out and sort of crash started it as i rolled out of the ruts, but most of the time it would die and be dead for at least a minute sometimes more.

Any clues where i should start looking or what you think is wrong?
a novel sized post i know but wanted to tell everything that went on with it.

Cheers SBF

Sensei
14th January 2007, 20:52
Depending where the airbox breather is it may have suck some water into the carb . Try draining the cab bowl into a small glass / plastic container & see if any crap comes out .

laRIKin
15th January 2007, 21:49
If it does it straight away I would look at the spark plug cap.
I like to use a spark plug cap off a Jet-ski as they do not mind water as much.
Try running your bike and throw a wee bit of water at the spark plug.
A fine mist is good from the hose, not to much as it will stop the motor.
But it may give you an idea if it is the spark plug cap.

If it does it going through a long puddle, check your breather tube that comes from the carb and it will probably come out under the motor.
Move it to under the tank and still have the end pointing down.
Or drill a hole and put it into the air box. (and Silicone it, to seal it)
The water is blocking the hose, so it can stop the carb breathing, so you will run out of fuel.
As the carb bowl is not vented.

And check all the manifold seals (around the card) so you are not sucking water through a bad seal.

And as said check that no water is getting in to the air box and getting in to the motor that way.

Or you could have a bad electrical connection and the water is earthing it.

Good luck they can be a bugger to find.