PDA

View Full Version : Levels Nationals Divvo and Kickaha

Kickaha
15th January 2007, 10:30
Nationals Rd2 Levels

The sidecars didn’t make the trip south to Teretonga as we couldn’t put good numbers on the grid so Levels was our first round.

Tuesday we’re out in Divvos garage changing the handle as I couldn’t reach it properly to get my weight out far enough, he’d tacked it in place and warned me to watch out for the hot weld so being careful I tried it for size and then he did the rest of the weld, I reached across the outfit to move something and stuck my hand down on the bit he’d just welded and fuck did it hurt, right across the palm, cold water and ice and it was bearable but on the drive home the pain set in, Joni ran me in to the after hour surgery:doctor: and some pain killers, cream and a dressing later it was manageable

Wednesday and the pain is all gone and we’re loading up that night, we head south on the Friday morning once Divvo remembers where I work after driving straight past where I’ve been transferred to

The pits are already filling up and we grab an area down the back and set up along with the other sidecar crews, breeze through scrutineering and head out for a few easy laps, we’re taking it easy and then dial it up a bit, Dags and Wazza on the Aussie 900 go around us off the end of the straight and we catch and pass a few other outfits and then coming onto the back straight as Divvo cranks it up it spins up the back and snaps sideways, we’re already both fucked after 4 laps so we pull back in and set about putting a new rear tyre on

Friday night and we head off to the campground as the sidecar guys have booked out a block of cabins but when the lesbians don’t turn back up to do their party trick with the gnome we decide to head off and find a motel and in the quest for food we also find the fish and chip shop with the crappiest service I’ve visited yet :angry:

Saturday Q1

We have two qualifying sessions and the weathers doubtful so we change onto wets which turns out to be a bad choice as when we get on the track there’s dry lines so we cruise around slowly for three laps and then pull in, Tim manages to fall on his arse and Trish has a bit of a “moment” when she misses a handhold but it’s relatively incident free

Q2

We’ve refitted the new rear slick and in the process of doing this I rip the top off the massive blister I’ve got from the burn so I whack a dressing on it and we go out to “run the tyre in” we’re doing easy laps to get it up to temp and following bill around and notice a lot of smoke coming out of his out fit which turns out to be bodywork rubbing, with 18 sidecars there’s a fair bit traffic and it’s hard to get a clear lap, Burt and Ernie snap a steering bracket and run off the track and then for a bit of off track entertainment Divvo head butts the tent pole when he’s taking his leathers off, checking the times we’ve ended up on row 6 in 11th which wasn’t to bad for just cruising

Saturday Race 1

Off the start and we immediately pick up a spot after passing Phil/Tony who were gridded in front of us, there’s a big bunch we pick off another outfit down the straight, coming off the back straight and there’s goober/Pig going slow after missing a gear and loosing drive, we get on the back of the Windle of Adam/Vince and the LCR of Perry/Leighton all three of us are a similar speed but we get a run onto the start finish straight and get up the inside of the Perry/Leighton into turn 1 and set off after the Adam/Vince combo, in the meantime the Stu/Darren NZ2 outfit has snapped a rear axle about a third of the way down the back straight and spun off the track and Burt and Ernie get a flat front tyre at warp factor 9 down the back straight, there’s a yellow flag out down the back and we slow down, next corner is clear and we’re into lapped traffic, Adam/Vince choose the wrong side for the pass and we take them and the other outfit around the right into the hairpin, by this time we’re both getting a bit puffed but the chequered flags out and we’re home in 5th

The grid marshal comes up and gives us lollies for being such good boys :innocent: and finding our grid positions so quickly

Sunday

There’s time spare in the program at this point and the officials offer us 15 laps :no: instead of ten , I’m hoping no bastard is going to say yes and to my relief (and several others) we stay with 10

Sunday Race 1

We keep our qualifying grids all weekend so we’re stuck on 11th and we get a flyer, we’re past three outfits buy turn one, Goober/Pig are over the ripple strip and sideways there outfit snaps right and their rear wheels lifting and then we’re past them, off the end of the straight and Adam/Vince come back past in the Windle, we chase after them but they’re pulling away at a second a lap:bye: , I’m in a fair bit of pain from my arm bashing the fairing on all the left changeovers and when I miss my footing out of the hairpin for a moment I think “I’m gone” but I get it back together, we lap the Keith/Tim LCR, the PBR girls Tracey/Kellie and are coming up to lap Bill/Glen when the flag come out for a 7th place finish

I go to lift my drink bottle after the race and in my left arm can’t get it higher than waist height, it’s gone numb and I’ve got pins and needles in it, I’d padded the fairing but it really didn’t help, Divvos arms are pumped up and he makes a castor change to the outfit to lighten the steering

Sunday Race 2

Due to delays this is shortened to 8 laps,On the warm-up lap we get a good look at the marshals’ vehicle which got hit by a bike and its looking pretty fucked:gob:

Another good start and turn one is free of any “incidents”, we’ve got Burt/Ernie glued to our tail and Paul/Rat right behind him, after chasing us for 4 laps Burt/Ernie pull a pass around the decreasing radius and start edging way and Paul/Rat close up, on the next lap Burt/Ernie are off at the chicane having managed to pull his kill switch tether off (thanks guy), my left arm is starting to go numb and then I cock up the change after the hairpin and aren’t fully to the left as we turn in, the chairs lifting, lifting , lifting and then Divvo slows and I gain my composure we’re off again , Charles/Rat are pushing us hard and I’ve never been so glad to see the flag and we come home 6th and end up 5th overall for the weekend

A day later and I feel like someone has kicked the shit out of me, bruised all over the place, ribs, arms, feet, legs and 5 days until we do it all over again, I can’t wait:woohoo:

A very special thank you to Joni for the support she has given leading up to and during this event and travelling down to spend her birthday hanging around a racetrack with a bunch of ruffian sidecar riders :hug:

Joni
15th January 2007, 10:58
I was off early Saturday to join Kick and Divvo at Levels. (although a sleep in on my birthday would have been a bonus *sigh*)

I think what impressed me most was the amount of chairs that made the effort of coming down South from the North Island... it was stunning. They had a group photo taken of all the chairs... it was great to see them all there.

Was great to catch up with the regulars and meet some new people too - Sidecarbob was nice to put a face to the name...:sunny:

Divvo and Kick did really well, with laptimes going up consistently... Levels will never be a track that would let them use all the HP that Busa has to offer... but I was proud of the fifth over all that was achieved. :yes:

Kickaha as always I was very proud of you, but admittedly a little worried about how your hand would hold… :hug:

Bring on Ruapuna when that Busa can grunt down that long straight... in the mean time some arnica might be in order.

Buddha#81
15th January 2007, 11:25
Tell us Kick how did you really blister the palm of you hand.:shit:

Rashika
15th January 2007, 12:06
Sounds like an interesting trip Kickaha, even given the hand. :rockon:
11 sidecars....phew...VERY impressive!!
Will they all be there for Ruapuna?

Joni
15th January 2007, 12:08
11 sidecars....phew...VERY impressive19 in total... cool eh? :yes:

Rashika
15th January 2007, 12:31
19 in total... cool eh? :yes:

Awesome numbers!

FROSTY
15th January 2007, 12:39
it looked frigging awsome at the start--and at prizgiving there was special mention that there were more chairs than superbikes this year.

SDU
15th January 2007, 15:12
Nationals Rd2 Levels
On the warm-up lap we get a good look at the marshals’ vehicle which got hit by a bike and its looking pretty fucked:gob:

Was the rider of the bike ok?

A day later and I feel like someone has kicked the shit out of me, bruised all over the place, ribs, arms, feet, legs and 5 days until we do it all over again, I can’t wait:woohoo:

:laugh: Joni probably did for making her get up at some early crap hour on her birthday.:innocent:I wouldn't blame her:dodge:

I was off early Saturday to join Kick and Divvo at Levels. (although a sleep in on my birthday would have been a bonus *sigh*)
I hope he made it up to you!

19 in total... cool eh? :yes:

Awesome number of chairs.

Good write up K, :rockon: I hope you guys got some photos of all those chairs.

Kickaha
15th January 2007, 17:09
Tell us Kick how did you really blister the palm of you hand.:shit:
Friction burns :bleh:

Was the rider of the bike ok? he was out on another bike straight afterwards so he cant have been to bad

Awesome number of chairs.

Good write up K, :rockon: I hope you guys got some photos of all those chairs

The most I have seen since the Australians bought a heap over in the mid nineties and there were about 24 on the grid

I forgot my camera so no photos but you can see them in real life next weekend at Ruapuna

SDU
15th January 2007, 20:01
The most I have seen since the Australians bought a heap over in the mid nineties and there were about 24 on the grid

I forgot my camera so no photos but you can see them in real life next weekend at Ruapuna

I hope I can get out in my lunch break, it would be awesome to see.

gav
15th January 2007, 21:21
Good effort, fullas! By crikey, it was hot at Levels on Sunday, well worth the trip down in the mist and drizzle. :yes:

Kickaha
16th January 2007, 21:06
One other thing I forgot to mention was that new KB members Scrivy and Sidecar Bob won three out of three in the sidecar class

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=9501
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=9493

:woohoo:

Joni
17th January 2007, 11:13
Yeah Im looking forward to seeing them in action at Ruapuna!

Reckon it going to be a good weekends racing... :yes: