PDA

View Full Version : ADVENTURE RIDE SOUTH ISLAND "All Welcome"

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 15:29
We are headin out pilgrims ! Get with the program !

Aussies ,North Islanders all welcome , the scenery will blow your mind !!

Wed 21st Feb :- Head to Tekapo then down through Black Forest Station and over a private road to Benmore then to Omarama then over another private road to St Bathans.

Thur 22nd Feb Through to the Old Serpentine church down through the Poolburn past the Lord of the Rings location and onto Alexandra then through the Nevis Valley and onto Garston for the night.

Fri 23rd Down to Fiordland and out through Borland Lodge to the South arm of Manopouri, then back to Queenstown for the night

Sat 24th / Sunday 25th Ride up to Glenorchy for breakfast then down to Skippers Canyon then through to Arrowtown onto Cardrona and Wanaka via the Crown range then through private road to Hawea Station then either -

Cromwell through to Ranfurly Naseby and Danseys Pass, Kurow the Hakataramea and back to Christchurch, or we may head up the West Coast from Lake Hawea, see what happens. Get back to Chch for the Sound of Thunder Sunday afternoon.

We will change things to suit us as we go , if you want to do a couple of days only then thats cool.

We will do some exploring on the way , check out side oads we've never done etc. This is basic skeleton , we will add the body parts as we go along !!

The idea is to have fun and enjoy ourselves 99% of time ! Fun chilled and relax people please turn up ! Stress monkeys and control freaks stay home !!

The plans not chiseled in stone , we will see how we go. Lets just get out there and do it !

CONTACT ME: mruane@xtra.co.nz

Mick

TRIP ON HOLD TILL MARCH ! SORRY GUYS WORK STUFF ! GET ONTO THE PASS RIDE !

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 15:35
[QUOTE=mickeyboy;897916]We are headin out pilgrims ! Get with the program .THE BIG SOUTHERN ADVENTURE

Mick

Zukin
15th January 2007, 16:05
Hey there

You should ask if the landowner at Black Forest if you can take the track up to Mount Sutton, I have been up there quite a few times and it is magic
The views at 1931m are incredible and if the sky is clear you look straight at Mt Cook...magic

The track is good, steep in a few places but easy on a bike.
There is a small section of shingle to cross but that is easy too, and that is near the top.
We have driven our 4wds up there too :yes:

I have attached a map for you to see where it is

SDU
15th January 2007, 16:13
Drool... wish I didn't have to work.
The trip sounds awesome.:rockon: Hope you get a great crew 2gether & have an awesome time.

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 16:14
Thanks man we will check that out

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/rockon.gif

Zukin
15th January 2007, 16:16
No problems and welcome to KB :yes:

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 16:20
Does it come out at the benmore dam

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 16:22
does it come out at benmore dam

Zukin
15th January 2007, 16:24

No for what you are doing it would be better to go up and back the way you came, I am not sure what the tracks are like down the other side now, but they were dodgy last time.
Get lost in there and you will need a weeks food :bye:

Cheers Scott

P.S Can we swap bikes for a while???? :yes:

Jantar
15th January 2007, 16:46
Damn it, You are starting out on the same day that the South Island Passes ride finishes. Can't do it twice in 10 days unfortunately.

Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33279

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 18:02
you can have ride on he 950 if we cros paths !! The best bike ive ever owned.

mickeyboy
15th January 2007, 18:03
that pass ride sounds cool

miSTa
15th January 2007, 19:25
Sounds like a mighty fine trip, unfortunately work is a problem. Have fun.

Ruralman
15th January 2007, 20:52

Talk to Oldrider - he knows this route and the necessary contacts - to answer your question yes you can go right through and come out at the dam but not without landowner permission.

far queue
15th January 2007, 21:10
Hi Mick

Good to see you on here, we met up on the Black Forest Rd last March and have bumped into each other a couple of times since. Anyway, looks like a good trip, but I'm planning to be down that way over Waitangi weekend for the Vincent Rally, so I won't cover the ground twice so close together. Have a good one, and as Ruralman says, have a chat to Oldrider, he knows you from the Black Forest Rd too, and knows the area real well.

Cheers

zeRax
15th January 2007, 21:54
FAR OUT has this thread got me thinking i need to get my A into gear and get a new xr250l, maybe ill get myself one for my bday!

my bday is on the 21st of feb so it'd be real cool to be away for it somewhere riding!

clint640
16th January 2007, 07:40
G'day Mick, welcome to KB. I met you that day in March too. Saw some pics of you going hard at the Burt Munro the other day, I'm going to try & make it down for that this year & do some racing.

Cheers
Clint

mickeyboy
17th January 2007, 09:05
Clint whee did you see the pics of me at the Burt Munoe ?

Mick

clint640
17th January 2007, 11:25
Plug's trip report on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3686087#post3686087

Cheers
Clint

paulj
18th January 2007, 05:13
Brilliant - not being overly familiar with group riding on longer trips, will this be a 'self-contained' ride? Accommodation - pre-booked? camp on roadside, sod hut, Park Royal ...

Great time of the year too ...

mickeyboy
18th January 2007, 08:29
paul, we will sort that once we now numbers , prob do back pack , local pub , some may want to do tent etc. Park royal mght be a bit rich , we will get the most comfort or least money !! You won't have to top and tail !

Mick

RedKLR650
18th January 2007, 18:54
paul, we will sort that once we now numbers , prob do back pack , local pub , some may want to do tent etc. Park royal mght be a bit rich , we will get the most comfort or least money !! You won't have to top and tail !
Mick

So are you taking names etc to figure out a tentative group ?

If so, please put me down for the first 3 days ( Afraid work means I have to be back in South Canty on the Saturday ) :angry:

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

mickeyboy
3rd February 2007, 22:25
KLR man , i have had to change plans due to work stuff, can you team with guys doing the pass ride , we can do our trip march sometime.

Mick

RedKLR650
4th February 2007, 17:25
KLR man , i have had to change plans due to work stuff, can you team with guys doing the pass ride , we can do our trip march sometime. Mick

No problem. Any chance of it covering the w/e of 10/11 March, as I'm actually free on that weekend :-)

Check out Waitangi Day Wanderings on this site, should be a good ride.....:scooter:

Cheers, Stu

cooneyr
5th February 2007, 13:49
No problem. Any chance of it covering the w/e of 10/11 March, as I'm actually free on that weekend :-)

Check out Waitangi Day Wanderings on this site, should be a good ride.....:scooter:

Cheers, Stu

Oi,

Aren't you busy on the 10th March Stu? Remember this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2007-3-10&c=0 (Dusty Butt)?

Just a friendly reminder if you had forgotten. :dodge:

Cheers R

RedKLR650
5th February 2007, 14:37
Oi,

Aren't you busy on the 10th March Stu? Remember this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2007-3-10&c=0 (Dusty Butt)?

Just a friendly reminder if you had forgotten. :dodge:

Cheers R

:doh: Whew, glad my secretary picked up on that. !! Keep an eye out for any other double up's too if you can ( saves me being caught out again.... :Oops:

Er, yes, will be attending Dusty Butt 1000, better reschedule other ride again...

Cheers, Stu:clap:

mickeyboy
6th February 2007, 13:05
KLR man , sorry i missed the waitangi trip, it sounded cool. I had an incident ! on the akaroa hill last weekend and the big 950 needs a bit of a touch up and my wrist took a bit of hit , hope the trip was fun. Post details.

Mick