PDA

View Full Version : Adventure riders - Where in NZ is this?

Zukin
15th January 2007, 16:14
Hi there

Well I have quite a few photos from the different parts of the country, so I thought I would share them, but then I thought about a competition :yes:
The idea is for others to see different parts of the country, and to give ideas on where to ride to next :yes:

Ok

You have to post a photo of a location that you have been too, then everyone else has to guess where it is. It has to be something that involved an adventure (eg it must not be of the Sky Tower) or somewhere off the beaten track.
The person that gets it right uploads the next picture and so on.
If it is too hard then you can give clues.

So here is the first one

Cheers Scott

tipper
16th January 2007, 03:21
near here??

nadroj
16th January 2007, 17:17
I'd follow the arrow.

Crisis management
16th January 2007, 20:37
I can safely rule out Auckland......

Give us a hint Scott

Zukin
16th January 2007, 20:46
I thought the Southerns would know, especially those on the West Coast:yes:

Jantar
16th January 2007, 21:41
Well, I do know where it is, but I don't have a suitable photo to follow up with.

However, away in the background is a lake named after a famous explorer, and on its shore is a town with a name that suggests it is a lake. I wont give any more of a clue than that.

merv
16th January 2007, 22:00
So its the Grey River and Stillwater in the foreground and Lake Brunner (Moana) in the background. Pic taken from Sewell Peak.

Whether I'm right or not, how about this one?

Zukin
16th January 2007, 23:33
So its the Grey River and Stillwater in the foreground and Lake Brunner (Moana) in the background. Pic taken from Sewell Peak.

You are correct :yes:

cooneyr
17th January 2007, 07:19

I'll take a punt its in the Canterbury high county. Maybe looking down the Rangitata from Mesopotamia?

Great thread idea Scott. Keep the photos coming guys.

Cheers
R

merv
17th January 2007, 07:27
Nope not Canterbury, but it is in the South Island.

clint640
17th January 2007, 07:43
Is it looking up the Waimak from near the bridge on Arthurs pass?

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
17th January 2007, 07:59
Or is it along Maruia River? Between Springs Junction and Maruia?

merv
17th January 2007, 10:02
Nope further South.

cooneyr
17th January 2007, 10:08
Given lack of bush on mtns on left I'd say not Arthurs or Lewis. Also river too wide. What about Mackenzie country? Looking down the Dobson/Hopkins?
Think there is more bush than this so not sure.

Other guess is looking down the Wairau Valley?

Cheers
R

Damn unstable wireless connection - missed Mervs Post so scrap the Wairau comments.

merv
17th January 2007, 10:21
More clues - try Otago. Do I have to give you some coordinates?

(p.s. don't look - but if you get stuck go here on Google Earth 44 46'54.13"S, 168 19'17.07"E)

cooneyr
17th January 2007, 12:26
Damn damn damn, couldnt help myself and looked. Was going to say there but never been and looked like too much bush on topomap. Doh

Again again :innocent:

R

merv
17th January 2007, 12:32
OK you've seen it then, Kinloch Road beside the Dart River near Lake Wakitipu. That was us last April.

Cooneyr you got a pic?

cooneyr
17th January 2007, 12:48
Try this one. You have never mentioned this place merv so might keep you guessing for a bit.

Cheers
R

merv
17th January 2007, 12:59
Probably means I've never been on that track, but it looks very North Canterbury like around Omihi area perhaps towards the coast a bit looking South West.

cooneyr
17th January 2007, 13:48
Probably means I've never been on that track, but it looks very North Canterbury like around Omihi area perhaps towards the coast a bit looking South West.

Dont think you are going to get much closer but it is around 42 50'S 172 8'E on Random Spur road. West and slightly south of Cheviot. I've put too many of my good photos on Kiwibiker so kinda takes the fun out of it.

Cheers
R

merv
17th January 2007, 14:52
OK Cheviot, Omihi I wasn't far away.