PDA

View Full Version : Bike ride's in Auckland for 250cc's, interested?

DarkDream
30th July 2004, 12:47
Hi all,

I'm sure there are lots of you that are interested in taking your bike for a ride in the weekend. So with the help of a few others i'd like to organise a group that could go riding on either a saturday or sunday in the Auckland area

Please register your interest in this idea and the frequency of the rides. The best way to do this would be to reply to this thread, rather than private message me. That way we can get an indication of how many there are.

The rides will be auckland based but can and will stretch the limits to perhaps area's of the coromandel and the bay of island, even further if there is interest. I'm quite keen to do a bit of travelling down around the south island for about a week so some may be interested in pursuing that idea further.

But first lets get some interest and perhaps some good routes for a few rides.

So post back with your handle (name) and the details of your bike with your ideas.

Mines a Honda CBR 250 RR.

Both men and women more than welcome to register their interest, and although this is a 250cc forum I'm happy for larger bikes to attend as well.

Aff-man if your listening ask around and let me know who else would be interested. And hopefully I'll see you this weekend and we'll put some distance on the clock.

Darkdream

p.s. If anyone is already attached to a club that does this sort of thing then could you let everyone know? Cheers again.

aff-man
30th July 2004, 15:00
Hmm maybe but looks like i am going to be upgrading soon will us slow riders with slightly larger bikes still be welcome??

Two Smoker
30th July 2004, 15:06
Well i might be keen for arvo rides on Saturday, but then again im upgrading soon, and ive only got a little 150 :(

I ride a RG150, and im a slow rider......

Might be keen, but generally go on blats with MR....

vifferman
30th July 2004, 15:10
I ride a RG150, and im a slow rider...... Jeez, TS - enough already with the "Slow rider" and "ride like a nana" stuff...

Motoracer
30th July 2004, 15:17
Well i might be keen for arvo rides on Saturday, but then again im upgrading soon, and ive only got a little 150 :(

I ride a RG150, and im a slow rider......

Might be keen, but generally go on blats with MR....

Yo nana, you keen to go out riding this weekend? On saturday, you should give us a text after work and we'll see if we can meet somewhere if your keen.

Mr Skid
30th July 2004, 18:44
If you can tolerate my slowness I'm keen!

And I don't mean slow in a TS sense, I mean really slow, like "being passed by mums with push chairs" slow..

Well not really that bad, more like "I like my new toy and don't want to break it" slow..

So with that proviso, I'm keen to ride with anyone, anywhere, anytime!

DEATH_INC.
30th July 2004, 18:51
I ride a RG150, and im a slow rider...... :killingme :killingme :lol: :lol: :killingme :killingme

Two Smoker
30th July 2004, 19:01
:killingme :killingme :lol: :lol: :killingme :killingme
What??????? I am slow, that guy on the CBR250RR was doing 1:18's, TWO SECONDS FASTER THAN ME!!!!!! Im sure he had a CBR400RR with 250 stickers :shifty:

Yep MR im keen as hell, just gassed it up and took the glazing of my sliders lol, they hadn't been used in a while :( ......

R6_kid
30th July 2004, 20:49
Im keen for most sundays. Pref late morning or afternoon starts, south islands ideas sounds good (in summer of course).

Im on a Suzuki GF250, medium paced road rider, im not that quick on unfamiliar windy roads tho.... but that should be a given.

DarkDream
31st July 2004, 10:35
Hi All,

After reading the posts it seems the concerning factors are:

Will I be fast enough

Does it matter if my bike is not a 250cc

The answer to these questions are simple. Firstly I'm sure we'll all be fast enough. Intially we can start off slow and some of us (including myself) become better riders then we can increase the speed.

As for having different sized bikes, it's not a concern to myself. I'm just keen to get more bikes on the road as I hardly ever see any! And lets be honest, there isn't any feeling like taking that corner nice and sweet!

The main purpose of this is to get like minded people out on the road enjoying a good ride. After a while a few of us may even look to organise weekend rides, organise accomodation etc.......and basically enjoy riding our bikes.

If some people want to go faster then the group can split into two or three if necessary and at the end we'll all meet up at the destination.

Hope this helps out all

Represent

Darkdream

Zapf
31st July 2004, 17:08
I'll be keen. But I'll be very very green. So maybe a month or two from now?

Bike: VTR250

FROSTY
31st July 2004, 17:24
What??????? I am slow, that guy on the CBR250RR was doing 1:18's, TWO SECONDS FASTER THAN ME!!!!!! Im sure he had a CBR400RR with 250 stickers :shifty:

Yep MR im keen as hell, just gassed it up and took the glazing of my sliders lol, they hadn't been used in a while :( ......
Don't talk shit TS
Pukie is and always will be a horsepower track. put you guys on taupo or even dare I say it manfeild and see if he's faster than ya--I bet all the tea in china he wont be.
what you need is rocket assist down the back straight of pukie. :scooter:

Two Smoker
31st July 2004, 18:32
hhmmmmm this is sounding more and more like a KB ride, my advice is just come along on a KB ride :niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
1st August 2004, 00:45
hey guys - ive done a number of these runs etc and have genuinely run slow and watched the back of the pack.

If ever anybody is keen to run North on Old North, Peaks, or SH16 to wellsford be sure to say so here! Shaede and i both shift work but apparently do get days off somewhere..

We are riding north tomorrow for anyone keen, if so give us a text or something on 021 16 55 668, prolly a morning run so 10amish @ Shell Westgate.

Two Smoker
1st August 2004, 09:31
hey guys - ive done a number of these runs etc and have genuinely run slow and watched the back of the pack.

If ever anybody is keen to run North on Old North, Peaks, or SH16 to wellsford be sure to say so here! Shaede and i both shift work but apparently do get days off somewhere..

We are riding north tomorrow for anyone keen, if so give us a text or something on 021 16 55 668, prolly a morning run so 10amish @ Shell Westgate.
Man whats this "day off" thing????? ive never had one of those :(

Yep im keen next saturday to take some of you guys out for a blat in the arvo.... How does that sound??? maybe we could do the famous SH22????

Kwaka-Kid
1st August 2004, 09:43
Yucky TS~! You can keep SH22 if i can have SH16? :P We can divvy up the other roads at a later date! :P
hehe! Teach them TS, show em how the little 150 can do it! :D

Two Smoker
1st August 2004, 19:56
Yucky TS~! You can keep SH22 if i can have SH16? :P We can divvy up the other roads at a later date! :P
hehe! Teach them TS, show em how the little 150 can do it! :DYeah the initial part of SH22 is crap, too many bumps and crazy corners, but the part just before Ngarawahia is fucking awesome, second to only Coromandal..... SH16 is too fast, you need to be doing over 160kmh to go hard..... too fast for the RG...

Me showing what a 150 can do??? I think it will be them showing me what a 250 can do.......

Mr Skid
1st August 2004, 20:49
Me showing what a 150 can do??? I think it will be them showing me what a 250 can do.......

TS, I'll show you what my 250 will do if you can still see it in your mirrors after the first 2 corners.. :crybaby:

Firefight
1st August 2004, 20:51
Nuthin bloody wrong with 22 :argh:

F/F :wacko:

aff-man
1st August 2004, 23:25
22 is beautiiiiiiful mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just gotta watch a bit of gravel and those silly wide tracors and she be right :apint:

Kwaka-Kid
2nd August 2004, 10:27
sorry but im still not converted! my stomping ground is the West!.. Just found huia road the other day - or at least refound it and rememberd how much fun it is! whereelse has nice WIDE SMOOTH 50kmph road with tight corners going up hill that you can just play with! ahh so nice... btw made a metal plated knee slider - been experimenting, its pretty weird though, and can grip.

vifferman
2nd August 2004, 11:09
As for having different sized bikes, it's not a concern to myself. I'm just keen to get more bikes on the road as I hardly ever see any! .....The main purpose of this is to get like minded people out on the road enjoying a good ride. After a while a few of us may even look to organise weekend rides, organise accomodation etc.......and basically enjoy riding our bikes.Now that Mrs FS has got the motorcycling bug, I'd be keen to go on a few organised rides that aren't basically road races / pissing competitions, as I don't want to scare the bejeesus out of her now that she's starting to enjoy herself.
So some rides that have a contingent of slower bikes and/or riders would be good.

Two Smoker
2nd August 2004, 17:46
Well im still keen for the Saturday arvo ride, F/S just come along to any KB ride, there is all sorts of riding speeds that are there :niceone: the fast guys always wait and never complain :niceone:

I wont be wearing leathers though, mine are off for repair (see 600's are bad for me :wacko: ) due to the hole in my knee on them from riding MR's bike around pukekohe, you would think knee slider would last more than 20 laps even if you have your knee down at 200kmh...... So wont be as fast as normal.....

And KK, i love that bit of road coming up towards the titirangi roundabout on Huia road, where your doing like 110kmh and nice flowing corners with hot mix...... mmmmmmmmmm corners with hot mix.....

Kwaka-Kid
2nd August 2004, 18:41
whats hot mix? smooth seal?... yeh its all good!

Mr Skid
2nd August 2004, 22:40
TS + KK, I'm keen for a Saturday ride.

SH16 / SH22 / where-ever, rain or shine, I'm in.

Kwaka-Kid
2nd August 2004, 23:02
awww what time saturday? i can do anything up till around 1pm as i got work later.
otehrwise sunday? - and how long have you been riding matey?

Firefight
3rd August 2004, 07:20
TS, I'll show you what my 250 will do if you can still see it in your mirrors after the first 2 corners.. :crybaby:

ah, someone who hasn't ridden with TS, this should be interesting.

F/F :wacko:

Posh Tourer :P
3rd August 2004, 08:36

FF he says he wont be in TS's mirrors after 2 corners.... Or are you suggesting TS is even quicker than that??? :msn-wink: :scooter:

Kwaka-Kid
3rd August 2004, 10:41
I read it that way too PT - ahh well, you cant expect much from far South Aucklanders :P

Yehaw

Mr Skid
3rd August 2004, 13:11
awww what time saturday? i can do anything up till around 1pm as i got work later.
I'm free all day Saturday and Sunday, so can fit in with anyone.

How long have I been riding? *paparazzi checks odometer* err.. 1200km and 0bins so far.. Did Old North > Peaks > SH16 > Wellsford on Saturday and have experience on the open road, but I'm still somewhat cautious heading into corners, until I learn my machine nuances.. (That's my euphemistic way of describing myself as moderately slow )

ah, someone who hasn't ridden with TS, this should be interesting.
You'd think having done a BA I'd have some vague ability with the english language, but alas I'm just vague..

TS, I've read many comments about how you're faster than a speeding bullet, does this mean you need a phone booth to change into your leathers? ;)

Kwaka-Kid
3rd August 2004, 13:19
great paparazzi! sounds awesome, a ride it is, hopefully on saturday morning.

Dont spose by your name that you gotta wicked digi cam or something dude?.. Anyway ill catchya later mate.

Mr Skid
3rd August 2004, 13:54
Wicked digicam? na, I'm ol' skool - Nikon F4 SLR, the sorta camera you can hammer nails with - they were a popular camera with press photogs until all the papers went digital..

..got a point and shoot Sony digicam floating around somewhere though, do ya need some stoppie / wheelie / silly buggers pics taken?

Kwaka-Kid
3rd August 2004, 14:02
well if i could do all those things hell yes! But unfortunatly for now itll just have to be standing by Chris's bike pretending its mine :o

Two Smoker
3rd August 2004, 14:10
Stoppie pics for me, and wheelie ones too see how im coming along with them :niceone: and if im keen some superman fotos etc.....

I cant make the morning, but can do the afternoon...... im thinking about heading out to Kawakawa bay with my old man, so if you want to improve your lines hes the man to follow :niceone:

Nup wont be in my leathers, just dropped them off 30 mins ago..... the guy said "how the hell did you go through that slider???" lol......

Hey KK, i mite be able to do a sunday ride, but only if you ride in jeans too :shifty: will let you know closer to the date :niceone:

Firefight
3rd August 2004, 15:16
FF he says he wont be in TS's mirrors after 2 corners.... Or are you suggesting TS is even quicker than that??? :msn-wink: :scooter:

ah, yes thank you, despite my age I can still read, not sure what you westies are on about, perhaps you need to up your medication.

F/F

MadDuck
3rd August 2004, 20:57

Hey KK

Id been keen for a blast Saturday up 16. Would like to see if I have the bike sorted in a non pressure ride. If not I will go anyways :) because I can!

loosebruce
3rd August 2004, 21:09
Don't talk shit TS
Pukie is and always will be a horsepower track. put you guys on taupo or even dare I say it manfeild and see if he's faster than ya--I bet all the tea in china he wont be.
what you need is rocket assist down the back straight of pukie. :scooter:

Or his superman drafting technique :niceone: TS is onto something though you guys should hook up with the rest of us for weekends rides, anyone is welcome and most of the time there will is a good variety of skill levels and bikes, a couple of guys came out last sat on 250's and i'm sure if you asked them if they had a good ride or not the answer would be that they did.

Kwaka-Kid
4th August 2004, 00:14
Hahah FF your a funny man! (not just funny looking either!)

And Mad Duck sounds alright to me, looks like we will do all the way to Wellsford then, in that case leaving Shell Westgate @ 9am (got work in arvo).

TS dunno bout sunday mate! As much as id love to my bank account doesnt allow me to do as much as many, so i might have to flag it :(

and TS - Have you got GPstars now too? If so then shit man those sliders are stupid - great leathers but shade and i headed out for a short technique ride along old north and both sides got munched, and i swear im not much of a knee dragger more a knee tapper!.. S'all good though, lucky i didnt go thru the leather but did go thru a little bit of the sliders velcro bottom.

Darryboy
4th August 2004, 13:32
a couple of guys came out last sat on 250's and i'm sure if you asked them if they had a good ride or not the answer would be that they did.

Damn straight I did!
Most fun i've had in ages! and I'm super keen for another one.

I know it's a bit late but Thanks everyone, 'twas awesome.

White trash
5th August 2004, 08:23
I'll be riding with the Orc's on Sunday on a 2 Fiddy so someone else come along so's I can keep up!

Kwaka-Kid
6th August 2004, 13:07
Eshk! Sorry guys looks like ive run myself too short of time for fecks sakes! Wont be able to make it unless i somehow pull a few hours from somewhere... Well dont stop because of me! You never know i might find hours somewhere... still thinking.

aff-man
6th August 2004, 14:10
If all goes well i might be out there on new bike. Where we meeting etc etc???

Hey darkdream you comin ??

Zapf
6th August 2004, 18:09
Ok. whats the plan for the weekend? I am keen to come out for a ride.... :msn-wink:

Two Smoker
6th August 2004, 18:35
Hey KK, nup havnt got GPstars, but thinking about the blue ones when i get my next set..... I will be riding with my old man hopefully this saturday arvo.... otherwise, all of you guys just turn up to the Autobahn Papakura at 0930 on Sunday :niceone: should be a good ride :niceone:

Motoracer
6th August 2004, 18:42
Have a look here tomorrow morning at about 8:00AM:http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=74747&posted=1#post74747

Some of us might be doing SH22 tomorrow. Its good fun! :niceone:

Zapf
6th August 2004, 20:25
Am I going to be libiaity on a 250 and being a learner?

Zapf
6th August 2004, 20:32
Ok... for Sunday where is the "Autobahn Papakura"?

aff-man
6th August 2004, 20:49
no there is no such thing as a liability rider on any of the KB rides i have been on. Basically you head south and just after papakura there is the truck stop / filling up garage on the right. They have one of those signs that have like knives and forks on it on the side of the wotorway. Can't miss it :niceone:

Zapf
6th August 2004, 20:51
:) sweet ... You mean that BP station? the solar powered one?

Mr Skid
6th August 2004, 20:58
Am I going to be liability on a 250 and being a learner?

No more of a liability than I will be. Your welcome to join me nana'ing along at the back of the pack.

I wonder if I could get a blue rinse mohawk for my helmet :Punk:

MikeL
6th August 2004, 20:58
Basically you head south and just after papakura there is the truck stop / filling up garage on the right

On the right of what?

Johnno, I hope you get this left/right business sorted out before you get your new bike...
:bleh:

aff-man
6th August 2004, 21:03
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm don't know maybe. NOT BOMBAY where the macdonalds is. Way before that

Zapf
6th August 2004, 21:08
Sweet. I am 95% certian I'll come to the Autobahn. I'll be on a Maroon VTR with silver helmet and black jacket. And most likely a yellow backpack. (ermm... maybe I should get a tank bag)

aff-man
6th August 2004, 21:16
Ok it's on the left (can't use my hands when typing) Thanks mike. HMMMMM should i rip out my mohawk :killingme did the other ride but the drag on my neck was cronic

Kwaka-Kid
7th August 2004, 01:14
guys take it easy tomorrow as weather looks crap!
Everyone wanting a ride to wellsford Shadey is heading it on the CBR250 - meeting at Shell Westgate @ 9am, leaving then i should say... Sorry i cant make it and it does piss me off as i have had too many tease rides only halfway to wellsford but not the whole journey recently that it really irritates me! But Cest la vie.
but its all good as the westie machine will soon be painted in team colours and all :D

Shade
7th August 2004, 08:27
Sorry guys, i cant make it either :/

Hopefully the weather will be all good for you!!

Seu

Mr Skid
7th August 2004, 12:17
Sweet. I am 95% certian I'll come to the Autobahn. I'll be on a Maroon VTR with silver helmet and black jacket. And most likely a yellow backpack. (ermm... maybe I should get a tank bag)

I'll be easy to spot, just look for the guy in a day-glo blue hawaiian shirt lying under a CBR after forgetting to put the side stand down. :wacko:

Zapf
7th August 2004, 20:30
wow what an experience today, rode to dury pass the autobann and back. In gusty head/tail/side winds. On a naked bike.

Is there any tricks/positions to not catch so much wind?

Posh Tourer :P
7th August 2004, 21:10
To catch more side gusts, put on fairings....

Mr Skid
7th August 2004, 21:49
wow what an experience today, rode to dury pass the autobann and back. In gusty head/tail/side winds. On a naked bike.

Is there any tricks/positions to not catch so much wind?

you too huh? I went as far as autobahn, then came back, it wasn't too windy going south, but it seemed that it picked up on the way back. In winds like that you and your bike will act as a sail, and it'll push you around the place. If it's a steady wind you can ride along leaned over into it, and go roughly in a straight line, but gusts are a bit more of a challenge..

To not catch so much wind, think about how to reduce the surface area side / head winds can affect (don't worry about tail winds, 250's need all the help they can get!)

So things like fairings, backpacks, luggage systems, pillions etc will increase your side surface area.. So maybe a tankbag / small backpack / no backpack would reduce the side surface area.. as for headwinds, those expensive bits of tupperware on the front of bikes are actually useful for this.. you could look at a small screen for the VTR if you don't have one already..

I found if I went in for the racer tuck position (chest on tank, chin on top triple clamp) that lowering the total C of G reduced the leverage that the wind had on me. Unfortunately I felt like a dick doing it at 110km/h on the motorway :o

Zapf
8th August 2004, 08:23
Hhahha.. me same. specially when you have cars passing you. Also, I found that wind noise went up heaps when I have my head close to the bike.

DEATH_INC.
8th August 2004, 08:50
Don't pull wheelies on the m/way in strong sidewinds,as soon as the front gets higher than the barrier you change lanes REAL quick.........

aff-man
8th August 2004, 10:17
Buuger it all.Sorry guys forgot to set mu alarm and so did the typical student thing of waking up at 10ish. Sucks oh well might take the bike for a litttle putter around

Two Smoker
8th August 2004, 20:32
Don't pull wheelies on the m/way in strong sidewinds,as soon as the front gets higher than the barrier you change lanes REAL quick.........
LMAO :lol: yep i can vouch for watching that happen LOL.....

Two Smoker
9th August 2004, 17:23
I found if I went in for the racer tuck position (chest on tank, chin on top triple clamp) that lowering the total C of G reduced the leverage that the wind had on me. Unfortunately I felt like a dick doing it at 110km/h on the motorway :oThis is only useful on a small bike when it is extremely windy (ie wind speeds of above 70kmh)

other than that its useless unless you want to make the bike go fast.... head wind is tolerable if you are doing sub 200kmh, but over that speed and you have to duck due to the force of the wind being so strong..... on the RG at 180kmh i can quite happily have my head above the fairing.... ON MR's bike doing 260kmh i HAVE to be behind the blade other wise i will get neck problems and a squashed nose :wacko:

Devil
10th August 2004, 08:38
Bah, I should be able to come out with you guys in a month or so, whenever I can get my thumb out of its brace :(

I think it'll be time to get my restricted then, so that'll be handy.

vifferman
10th August 2004, 09:32

Is there any tricks/positions to not catch so much wind?Having been over the Harbour Bridge in very strong winds more than a few times, and subject to nasty things, I've learnt a little. There are some things you can do that will help.
Keep your weight forward (to weight the front tyre), and crouch a bit to reduce frontal area.
Don't grip the bars tightly; the wind gusts on your arms and shoulders will cause the bike to weave if you're holding the grips tightly. If you ride relaxed, you end up not over-compensating for the wind gusts (and hence weaving all over the road).
If the wind is coming from the side or diagonally from the front, stick out the knee on the windward side.
If you must carry luggage, keep it low and close to you to minimise wind drag.
Avoid travelling near large unaerodynamic vehicles like trucks/buses, vans, stationwagons (decreasing order of turbulence), as the wind velocity and buffeting can increase as the wind goes around these. You can use trucks or buses as mobile windbreaks if you're going directly into the wind, but you need to follow fairly closely, so you're then subject to exhaust fumes, lack of vision (for hazards coming up), and road spray. Similarly, you can ride alongside a bus/truck to get some shelter from a side wind for a bit. Be aware too that a bus or truck has a large bow wave (it takes summat like 10hp for a truck just to overcome air resistance and move a truck-sized block of air out of the way at 60-70kph), and this will be worse in a headwind. As you pass a bus or truck, you'll find just as you're nearly level with the front, it will get harder to overtake (especially on a small bike) and you will tend to be pushed away from the vehicle by the pressure wave.

Riderskills
3rd November 2005, 09:55
I'm up for a run on my GN250 on sunday if anyone is heading out let me know.

InDeSkyz
4th November 2005, 19:49
Please don't think I'm hi-jacking, but those of you that wanted a smaller ride (slow) or closer to home - have one organised for tomorrow: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19655

gah at this being an old thread!

Sparky
4th November 2005, 20:11
just a thought guys, check the date of the last post of that thread, Hmmmm it's a year old!! :whistle: