PDA

View Full Version : Part 4 BMW Home Now

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
16th January 2007, 17:52
Sat 30 December 2006
Arrived at Miranda Motocamp - all new facilities, plus a hotpool which was lovely and relaxing. However, I was next to the Billy Bunter extended family, who had 2 kids under the age of 18 months, and diagonally opposite another screaming 8-10 month old baby. So I got very little sleep. I honestly don't know why parents take such young babies camping. It is certainly no fun for them or the babies or other campers!! Crikey the Billy Bunter mother was trying to get her 8 month old to sleep - I was a fair distance away in the lounge and she totally lost the plot - blimey Supernanny was certainly needed.

I headed off to Auckland, destined for Busa Pete's place - surprisingly enough I got to his suburb no problems at all and Wendy met me at the shops. The hospitality at Mr and Mrs Busa Petes is absolutely fantastic!! I was made to feel very welcome (a big thanks from me) the only problem being that I was overfed!!! lol. Pitched my tent. Met so many other kiwibikers and a great time was had at the New Year's party. I tried going to bed at 1.30am - waste of time lol eventually it was 3.30am!

Left there and stayed with friends for the next 4 nites - I was fairly tired from all the riding and after studying my finances, Kaitaia could not be on the agenda so thought I would just have a leisurely ride back to Napier.

Friday, 5th Jan
Left Auckland and was paranoid that I wouldn't find the right turn-off - I certainly did not want to go the Hamilton way!! God knows how I did it but managed to get on the proper route and rode to Opape - just out of Opotoki. No dramas on the road which is good - stopped and had coffee at a good café in Opotiki however be buggered if I could find it the next morning!! Went to go for a swim at Opape - too bloody cold, so only the feet got wet!

6th Jan
Another beautiful day for riding, had coffee in Opotiki and chatted with an old guy who told me how, in his younger days, he owned a Norton single 500 and other bikes. Got the full run down on how he modified them - like I really understood - Not lol. Did the Wioeka Gorge - I love that road. I really noticed my riding was top notch by this stage and the cornering was sheer joy - at one with the bike for sure and the scenery is outstanding. I did stop at several viewing points - however the phone camera does not cut the mustard for the scenery shots! Lunched at Gisborne. They were having their hottest day!! Certainly felt it in the leathers!

I arrived at Morere and camped the nite there - right beside the river with lovely bush scenery. Didn't get to the hot pools - a refreshing shower was enough.

7th Jan
My trip was coming to an end which saddened me - I could really get use to this lifestyle. Very simplistic, great scenery, peaceful, and so good for the soul. Just me, my bike, tent and nature! The Wairoa road is in good condition I thought - love all the corners. Had to stop at Lake Tutira - look at the swans.

Weds 10th Jan
After viewing the weather forecast - it seemed everywhere was going to have rain from Weds to Sat so I thought I would head for Wellington. At Dannevirke the heavens opened and torrential rain "persisted for an hour" so donned the wet weather suit and left. Crikey at one point I nearly stopped, the rain was so heavy. Anyway by Shannon there was no more rain.

So all in all, it was a fantastic trip, cage traffic was very well behaved, saw very few cops and didn't see many bikers out at all which surprised me! Anyway I did over 3,000 kms.

Now I'm back at work. The most commented upon fact of my journey from colleagues and people I met along the way was "You went on your own - all by yourself?? - weren't you scared camping on your own?" Yet to me it's normal behaviour - I've done it before, this was the longest trip tho - I enjoy my own company, not once did I have an argument with myself lol, I love riding the bike and I'm perfectly capable of pitching a tent on my own and fending for myself.

Next year could well be the south island!! I have done bits of it but hardly scraped the surface really!!:done:

yungatart
16th January 2007, 19:11
Hi BMW, has been good to read of your journey.You certainly have lots of experiences.
Was nice to meet you at Busa Pete's.

Macktheknife
16th January 2007, 19:33
Good on you BMW, great to put face to name too. Sounds like you are living it the way you want to, well done.

Wasp
16th January 2007, 20:40
Good to have you back, I good news too, i have my bike back!

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
17th January 2007, 12:54
Thanks all. Congrats Wasp - hope you have been taking advantage of the weather then and riding!! I'd post some pictures but haven't quite worked out how yet. Brain still on holiday.