PDA

View Full Version : 90 Mile Beach advice

Crisis management
16th January 2007, 19:25
I am joining Zukin (Scott & Carrissa) on their Ride for Life fundraiser early feb and have somehow volunteered to find out how we get on and off 90 mile beach and any other tips on riding up there...
I am assuming we will either go up or down the beach dependant on the tide, high tide on the 8th feb is at 5am and 5.30 pm so I am picking travelling up the beach about 10am (we are starting from Russell). Does this make sense?

I also assume we get on or off the beach at Kaitaia which I vaquely remember as being well sign posted and obvious. I also assume we follow the Te Paki stream out....which I know nothing about.

Thats the basics, assume your dealing with chumps as regards beach riding and please supply any advice you have.

If anyone wants to join us for this feel free....(I think as it is a fundraiser you would be expect to contribute but take that up with Scott, not me)

Advice please....:dodge: :Punk:

merv
16th January 2007, 19:59
Check this out http://ahipara.co.nz/Utils/doc/tepaki.htm

Last time I did it was in my 4x4 and we went in at Waipapakauri ramp and off at Te Paki stream. All nice and easy. On the bikes you could go on at Ahipara end as well if you want to do the whole length. Re-check the tides and sand condition at the time and decide which end suits you best to start on but 10am at the South end sounds fine.

It is all an easy ride so no worries. In the 4x4 it was just set the cruise control and go.

Meanie
16th January 2007, 20:07
Enjoy it but make sure you wash all that horrible abbrasive sand out of everthing when you get off the beach and stay away from that salt water if at all possible

CBobR
16th January 2007, 20:38
Hi,

Yep your timing looks good.
Ahipara is the southern most entry/exit point (about 10km from Kaitaia?), it's quite well signposted.
Slightly better to enter at Ahipara and exit at Te Paki so your bike gets a good wash in the fresh water stream.
Stick to the darker harder sand and you'll be fine.
Bring something to wipe your visor with, gets pretty hard to see through the salt buildup.

Have fun :)

Crisis management
16th January 2007, 20:59
Thanks for the advice so far....is there anything we need to be aware of "not to do" ????

Fat Tony
16th January 2007, 21:01
Mind if I just hijack the thread for a sec? Could anybody recommend a nice campsite in the area? (Checked a couple out online but would rather go off personal recommendations)

merv
16th January 2007, 21:14
Thanks for the advice so far....is there anything we need to be aware of "not to do" ????

Its all easy riding (too easy probably, gets boring unless you fill in your time with a few donuts and the like), but make sure you've got a decent tank of gas so that you will not run out.

tipper
17th January 2007, 07:55
:zzzz: I've done it in a Galant 16L cage, so it's not that scary, just stay away from the incoming waves, at low tide they rush a LONG way up the sand. If you get lost follow the buses

35tickets
17th January 2007, 10:15
Mind if I just hijack the thread for a sec? Could anybody recommend a nice campsite in the area? (Checked a couple out online but would rather go off personal recommendations)

If you're up to it, the Tapotupotu DOC campsite up the very top is fantastic with awesome views. Gravel road though but managable.

Meanie
17th January 2007, 19:50
I have a mate with a place in Hohoura, his folks live up thier too i do hear them talk about 4wd,s rolling and tipping on the 90 mile beach when they hit soft spots in the sand where the small streams come down to the sea from the land so i guess beware of them You should be able to see them
You cant beat local knowledge so have a chat to a few of the locals before heading down the beach they may have some good advice

Fat Tony
17th January 2007, 20:31
If you're up to it, the Tapotupotu DOC campsite up the very top is fantastic with awesome views. Gravel road though but managable.

Cheers for that. I just checked out some photos of Tapotupotu on Flickr... wow! That's a definite then :)

We're in a rental car (not bike unfortunately) so the road should be fine

Bartman10
19th January 2007, 15:14

absolute stunner of a campsite...

34°26'13.98"S
172°42'58.90"E

Do you have google earth?

Otherwise go here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=172%C2%B042%2758.90%22E++34%C2%B026%2713.98%22S&ie=UTF8&z=13&om=1&iwloc=addr

surfer
19th January 2007, 15:46
I am joining Zukin (Scott & Carrissa) on their Ride for Life fundraiser early feb and have somehow volunteered to find out how we get on and off 90 mile beach and any other tips on riding up there...
I am assuming we will either go up or down the beach dependant on the tide, high tide on the 8th feb is at 5am and 5.30 pm so I am picking travelling up the beach about 10am (we are starting from Russell). Does this make sense?

I also assume we get on or off the beach at Kaitaia which I vaquely remember as being well sign posted and obvious. I also assume we follow the Te Paki stream out....which I know nothing about.

Thats the basics, assume your dealing with chumps as regards beach riding and please supply any advice you have.
Advice please....:dodge: :Punk:

Good luck with the ride.

I think you will find that if you head from Kaitaia to Ahipara you will be at the bottom of the 90 mile beach. Kaitaia is about 15km away from the beach. There are lots of access points at Ahipara onto the beach which are all doable on a bike. Be aware though that the sand will be soft here.

The tide does not come all the way in up to the dunes at the back of the beach, unless there is a storm. But the sand here is very soft. Low tide is best as there will be lots of hard sand to ride on with no problems.

The tide goes out quite a way.

Enjoy

F5 Dave
23rd January 2007, 15:32
Last time I did it was on a GS1100 & by that I mean a Suzuki not a beemer. the stream was fine even 2 up, just aim carefully on a big roadbike.

Will have just done it again a few days before you go 2nd or 3rd Feb on an RF900.

Advice:
Easy to ride near (sort of) the water where it is harder, but don't get too cocky as there are some water drain troughs that you don't want to hit too fast, I dunno 70kph would be fast enough to spot them & slow down to 40. Take a squashed can so you can stop 1/2 way & turn inland & park on the soft sand for a picnic. It is worth it for the tranquillity, but I'd only plan to ride one way as you've had enough by the stream, sometimes the stream exit is a bit hard to find, but the beach runs out so backtrack a short way & you will see it.

Obviously go the extra distance to the tip of the country for a gander, ride back on the road, not much gravel.

We stayed at the pub hotel in Kaitaia, closed the gates at night so park around the back.

F5 Dave
23rd January 2007, 15:44
Oh here's a couple of pics, one is the stream & one at the tip.