PDA

View Full Version : Sticky keyhole

rainman
16th January 2007, 19:48
Hi all

Over the last few weeks my key has been progressively harder to put into the keyhole on my 4 month old GN250. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's like it's catching on something sharp, and I have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to go in. Once it's in, it generally turns OK and works fine - only once I've had difficulty getting it to the far left, lock position (even with the bars fully to the left). Possibly this is a part of the legendary Chingzooki quality programme, but I wondered if I could just zap it with some CRC and see if that makes it better. I'm not sure if that's a farkin stoopid idea though (maybe CRC will corrode the elektrikamal thingamies or something) so thought I'd check with the experts. Is there something better I should use? Or does it need a trip to Haldanes for a new one under warranty, maybe when it gets really bad?

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

It's a GN250, just leave the key in it, shouldn't be a problem.

crashe
16th January 2007, 19:54
1. Squirt some CRC into the actual keyhole, and then wipe the area with a cloth.
2. Put the key in and turn it on, turn it off, then remove key from keyhole.

Do Number 2 a few times and then it will work fine.

It may need a extra wee squirt of CRC, repeat number 2 again.

PS: Wipe the key after you have done it... or you could get a bit of oil over your clothes when you put keys into your pocket.

Colapop
16th January 2007, 20:22
Shit a thread about where the key for your bike goes.. not a double meaning thread!! Lube it up good - vege oil does good if you don't have the proper stuff... and then just slip it in...

Mr. Peanut
16th January 2007, 20:24
NO! Only use water based lubricants :)

rainman
16th January 2007, 21:06
It's a GN250, just leave the key in it, shouldn't be a problem.

Hah! Everyone's a critic....

If I could afford it (and the divorce lawyer that'd have to go with it), I'd buy one of them S50s :) Gonna have to keep buying lotto tickets tho.

Ixion
16th January 2007, 21:34
The little plunger things are sticking. Happens, our locks are often exposed to the elements. What woz said about crc , then a drop of 3 in 1.

Yeh it's an alright bike to start on I suppose, I was kicking around on one for a week. It's like anything, everyone takes the piss outta the fugly chicks, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Grub
16th January 2007, 21:47
Its under Warranty ... take it to the shop. They have to make it better.

On the subject of CRC - don't use it in any locks. My mate works for Chubbs and is the dude that services the Reserve Bank Vault so he knows his stuff. They ban CRC but use WD40. He did give me a technical explanation of why (which I hpromptly forgot).

crashe
16th January 2007, 21:53
Its under Warranty ... take it to the shop. They have to make it better.

On the subject of CRC - don't use it in any locks. My mate works for Chubbs and is the dude that services the Reserve Bank Vault so he knows his stuff. They ban CRC but use WD40. He did give me a technical explanation of why (which I hpromptly forgot).

Well its worked fine on all my locks (car locks, front door and back door locks and m/bike locks oh and also padlocks)

Been using it on padlocks, car and house locks for years and years..... never had no problem.

So would be really interested in hearing your mates explaination as to why not.

Grub
16th January 2007, 22:01
All I can remember right now Crashe is that some of the component makeup of CRC is cheap and I think attracts and retains abrasives which eventually gum up and destroy the lock. I didn't believe him when he first told me so he patiently sat me down to explain the facts of locks.

I guess they must know this stuff so I didn't retain the detail, just the "thou shalt not" bit. On the other hand they rave about WD40.

thehollowmen
17th January 2007, 06:06
Graphite powder can work wonders and won't gum up.

Sounds like it has taken a bang like what caused my lock to do the same thing. You might find pulling the key to one side a little helps it but really you need the lock reworked.

imdying
17th January 2007, 08:34
I'm with graphite powder myself, comes in a wee blower, doesn't attract and retain crap. My SV1000 lock was stiff when I first picked it up, after a few months in wore in nicely though.

bugjuice
17th January 2007, 10:13
use less KY or a condom then

vifferman
17th January 2007, 10:26
The technical explanation is complicated, but it's something like this:

CRC is crap.

It has virtually no lubricating properties, and isn't even useful for the other things WD40 is good for, like removing tar and grease from rims/paintwork, cleaning your chain when you're touring, removing stickers, waterproofing electrics, etc. I had to resort to buying/using some when I went around Norflund at Easter and the chain was all cruddy from road spooge and dust from the unsealed roads, and the local servo didn't have WD40. I was absolutely dismayed at how crappy the CRC was, and instantly regretted buying it.

Sis
17th January 2007, 10:32
:gob:

Can't believe that this thread is still on track and hasn't been hijacked

:gob:

ManDownUnder
17th January 2007, 14:19
use less KY or a condom then

Thought you'd never offer... c'mere big boy...

bell
17th January 2007, 20:26
This might be a tad late, as useful advice is not often found after post #4....

I had a bike that lived outside in the rain and cold/heat, all that sunny Nelson weather. The lock got more fiddly to use. It was on a diet of weekly WD40 before I sold it.

Best 'seal' over the keyhole was the lid off a film canister. Fits a lot of bike locks pretty well I imagine as they all look about the same.

Madness
17th January 2007, 20:38
I would like to clarify the CRC thing. CRC 5.56 is absolute crap, 90% kerosene & 10% perfume. The kerosene dries out, leaving a residue behind that is perfect for attracting & retaining dust & shit. It was the Bee's knee's 25 years ago when there was SFA else on the market. CRC now have around 30 different products and around 10 lubricant sprays for different applications. WD-40 has much better lubrication properties, smells delicious, and those who use that kind of stuff on expensive gear like printing presses etc. usually stipulate WD-40 when looking for a general purpose lubricant spray.

For the lock I'd also reccomend Graphite Powder, a small puffer pack will set you back between $5 - $10 and is perfect for jammy locks.

Flyingpony
18th January 2007, 07:55
... It's kinda hard to explain, but it's like it's catching on something sharp, and I have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to go in. Once it's in, it generally turns OK and works fine
A virgin? :shutup:

Back on topic.

Just put some engine/gearbox/differential oil on your key and then put this in/out several times and like wise turn it on/off. Repeat until the lock motion feels smooth. Works really good and you just need to reapply once a year. My magic weapon is SAE 50 Differential Oil.

Just don't forget to clean your key properly before putting it back in your pocket and she'll smell of oil for a few days too ... surely you don't mind that?

rainman
18th January 2007, 20:24
Thanks for all the advice. I tried a wee drop of 3 in 1 (sad to say I don't have any WD40 about me... yet) and it's just like a bought one again. Will get some wd40/graphite for next time :) I like the film canister idea (if you can find one in this age of digital cameras) though the bike doesn't spend a huge amount of time in the rain.... other than when I'm riding it. Garaged at all three ends of my commute.

So... at the risk of fully morphing this into a "CRC is crap" thread: when I was given advice to spray CRC on all the nice shiny chinese chrome on the GN for its long term preservation and rust avoidance, this would have been partially shit advice? Is it good for anything? Are there better chrome protectoring, rust discouraging, shiny-making things I should use instead? I know kero is good for getting off those burnt on bits of road shit that accumulate on the front of the pipes, and CRC isn't (funny, that, if CRC is mostly kero)...