PDA

View Full Version : What clothing on tour???

Idubbs
16th January 2007, 21:01
S'been a few years since I did a bike tour around the S.I. This time we'll be spending 10-14 days in the saddle. QUESTION - If you had the choice of wearing leathers, Gortex, or Air-mesh jackets/ pants, what will it be? How about Draggin' Jeans? - Month will be February, will it be hot, cold, wet?? Obviously, we'll have to be prepared for all kinds of weather, but hell - there's a limit on what we can carry.....! Oh yeah, we'll be stopping in at Levels for a track day..... YOUR THOUGHTS PEOPLE... your thoughts!:scratch:

justsomeguy
16th January 2007, 21:10
Goretex/Airmesh only. Leathers aren't the best unless you can guarantee the weather.

For underneath you could consider some of those nike breathable sports clothing, both the tops and leggings. They are very thin, warm, comfy yet breathable and they fold up quite small.

Since you are touring - I assume you'll want to ride your bike back - so limit yourself to cordura for the trackday as well.

My 2c.

Welcome to the mad house, good luck!!

Quasievil
16th January 2007, 21:15
Leathers and a one piece rain suit, unless you want to cook in cordura
thats my choice.

Idubbs
16th January 2007, 21:22
Yup...that's along some of my thoughts as well...... I dread the shear weight of leathers.They're a bugger if they get wet, and also a bugger to get off after a swealtering hot ride!

Idubbs
16th January 2007, 21:23
Sorry, that last comment was to follow Justsomeguy's

justsomeguy
16th January 2007, 21:31
thats my choice.

Most decent cordura gear comes full of vents doesn't it?? I also find leaving the top zip slightly open fills the jacket with a pocket of cool air while riding.

PS- Off topic - Can you PM me Jimmy's number, he seems to have forgotten bout our Sat appt.

NighthawkNZ
16th January 2007, 21:52
I have done many a tours, both in leatehr and cordura, and would have cordura anyday. It breaths better than leather, and most have vents to open and close. and usually you can take out the lining if it gets to hot.

Its more water proof than leather, (I just rode from Glenorchy to Dunedin in he rain errr not count the queenstown to cromwell leg) and was dry as a bone when I got home. I was only wearing a t-shirt under the jacket and just just undies under the trousers... I was more than morm enough... The only part that was wet was my gloves which is leather they couldn't handle the down poor... My gear was dry within and half hour. Leather takes days to dry and smells... and you have to nugget and dubben the leather... all you do with the cordura is take out the linning and wash...

I also been known to use my inner jacket inning as a dress jacket...

Most leather pants will leak in your crutch area... and if its not a one piece suit you jacket usually rides up exposing your back...

Your cordura gear will be good enough for the track day but may need a better back protector than the built in one.

Quasievil
16th January 2007, 21:57
Each to their Own, My Quasi Vengeance Jacket has breather Zips, a one piece rain suit takes care of the Rain, and once on the track I can actually move on the bike, cordura aint good for knee down action.

skelstar
16th January 2007, 22:00
Ill be doing a Sth Isl tour mid-feb and Im trying to make my mind up regarding this issue. I want to do the tour in quite spirited riding liike I was riding in the weekend, and buggered if Ill be in sub-standard gear. I feel much more protected in leather. Back-protector too probably.

So what if it was 35deg in Murchison last year!

HenryDorsetCase
16th January 2007, 22:09
last week we had every sort of weather they make, and some they were trialling to see if it sucked to ride in ..... a great success.

I have a cheap cordura jacket, with armour (crappy) and a zip out lining, and some vents. I had cordura pants but dont wear them as sweaty balls is only good when you are watching pr0n, and not riding for hours on end. Leather pants and gloves.

this time of year, usually even if its wet, its not tooo cold.

by the way, is cordura track day legal? or are you doing the HRC one at levels on 20 Feb for street bikes only. If so, I should be there.

Jantar
16th January 2007, 22:59
I have done many a tours, both in leather and cordura, and would have leather anyday. It breaths better than any synthetic and usually allows you to remove inner layers if it gets to hot.

Its water proof if treated correctly, (I just rode from Glenorchy to Alexandra in the rain, and after the Little River Rally rode 800 kms down the West Coast in the rain) and was dry as a bone when I got home. I was only wearing a shirt under the jacket and just jeans and undies under the trousers... I was more than warm enough... The only part that was wet was, err, nothing. My gear was dry. Leather does take hours to dry and smells if treated with nugget and dubben. Use beeswax and all it needs is an airing.

Most cordura pants will leak in your crutch area... and if its not a one piece suit you jacket usually rides up exposing your back, but most modern leather suits have a zip attacment between the jacket and trousers...

Your leather gear will also be good enough for the track day.

yungatart
17th January 2007, 09:23
My preference would be leather, any day!
Be careful using Dubbin on your leathers - the stuff rots stitching!

scumdog
17th January 2007, 09:31
My preference would be leather, any day!
Be careful using Dubbin on your leathers - the stuff rots stitching!

Only if the stitching is cotton - synthetic stitching will be o.k.

I use leather jacket/pants out of preference, wear overtrousers if it's raining.

On same trip as Night Hawk I got wet hands (fingerless gloves!) and wet down my front 'cos the water got in around my throat area.

Apart from that I was dry.

But each to their own, cordura WILL dry out quicker.

Paul in NZ
17th January 2007, 09:51
My preference is a decent fabric jacket. I have worn my Spidi NT tour for 3 SI tours and 60,000km and have no complaints. I need to replace my cheapie trou soon (or wash / re proof em).

Vicki has a cheaper jacket and dreadful trou because being petite (short) it was very hard to find anything that didn't have sleeves to her finger tips. The jackets OK on a hot day but the non breathable pants were a big mistake. She has the option of draggin jeans which she likes.

On very hot days we pull out the liners and wear cheapie breathable 'dry skin' tees underneath that wick moisture away from the body and are very happy except if stopped in full sun which can be uncomfortable.

Best feature is we don't stop when it rains (I'm a dumb arse like that) and if the gear gets wet it dries out very fast.

HAVING said that - my next purchase will probably be a leather jacket for casual summer riding and bimbling around Kapiti on the Triumph lookin' fine....

Pixie
17th January 2007, 09:58
In my day,I rode t'stralia under the t'tasman sea in my leathers and was dead of dehydration when I got there.

vifferman
17th January 2007, 10:05
When we went touring Up North at Easter, I wore what I always wear - my Teknic jacket and my (new at the time) Spidi GranTurismo pants. Both of these are textile with leather bits in abrasion zones, vents for warm weather, zip-in thermal liners, etc. The only other allowance I made for different weather was two pairs of gloves - "ordinary" and wet-weather, and a thin woollen top for cooler days.

Paul in NZ
17th January 2007, 10:08
In my day,I rode t'stralia under the t'tasman sea in my leathers and was dead of dehydration when I got there.

Luxury - sheer luxury.... Why, when I were yung

vifferman
17th January 2007, 10:14
thats my choice.
That's what I used to have before I got my Teknic jacket. The suit was friggin' awful - it didn't breathe, hampered my movements, and I slipped around on the seat.
Then I switched to the Teknic jacket, and leather trou with Motoline pants for when it rained. I used to dread wet weather as the pants were still slippery, even though they breathed better and were 100% waterproof. I wore the leather jacket once after getting the textile one, and it was so crap in comparison I sold it.

My ideal wear would be similar to what I've got now. My jacket now has leather on the lower arms and shoulders, doesn't need a zip-in liner for waterproofing, and has a built-in back protector, two layer armour, and 8 vents for summer. The pants are OK, but ideally would have leather on the knees and hips instead of just the seat. Macna pants do, but the fit and armour isn't as good as the Spidi Gran Turismo. I might get Kerrie at MSW to add some leather to these sometime.

vifferman
17th January 2007, 10:20
In my day,I rode t'stralia under the t'tasman sea in my leathers.
Like this?

sunhuntin
17th January 2007, 11:41
when i went south, i took:

2 pairs of jeans [draggins made up one pair and were for travel] the other pair was for walking, or if the draggins got overly wet.
2 tshirts, jersey. my usual double jacket [leather with demin vest over top]
sneakers for walking, cowboy boots for riding. and several pairs of socks. also underwear.

fingerless and also long gloves...

i would also suggest thermals or similar....got a lot colder than i expected and i ended up sleeping in my jeans a few times.

me being a shopper, i used some of the clothes i wasnt wearing to pack some crockery for mum to post them home. made more room as well.

Idubbs
17th January 2007, 16:51
last week we had every sort of weather they make, and some they were trialling to see if it sucked to ride in ..... a great success.

I have a cheap cordura jacket, with armour (crappy) and a zip out lining, and some vents. I had cordura pants but dont wear them as sweaty balls is only good when you are watching pr0n, and not riding for hours on end. Leather pants and gloves.

this time of year, usually even if its wet, its not tooo cold.

by the way, is cordura track day legal? or are you doing the HRC one at levels on 20 Feb for street bikes only. If so, I should be there.

Yup, it's the HRC track day at Levels 20th Feb. I'd like to wear full leathers on that occasion, but it's the other 11 days on tour that's got me figgurin'.. I don't think that they'll be too strict on corduras, as it's a "riders' development" day.:scooter:

NighthawkNZ
17th January 2007, 17:51
On same trip as Night Hawk I got wet hands (fingerless gloves!) and wet down my front 'cos the water got in around my throat area.

Yeah buddy, but you are just a hard knuckle :nya: :dodge: :killingme

Blairos
17th January 2007, 18:26
I too, am heading to the mighty South Island with 2 or 3 others on Feb 17th

I will be taking leathers, and a one-piece rain suit - like Quasi mentioned earlier (sorry I didnt get them from you mate) a large range of leather gear is now vented, plus my jacket zips to the pants, preventing "ride-up"

Looks like a healthy tribe of KB'ers are heading south around the same timeframe - I sense a catch-up could be set to take place somewhere in the mainland :)

Quasievil
17th January 2007, 18:39
like Quasi mentioned earlier (sorry I didnt get them from you mate)

DAMN YOU MISGUIDED FOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nah just kidding, my Jacket is vented (via zip) and pants are vented, so its awesome, throw in a QUASiMOTO one piece rain suit and my kit is dry comfy and safe, cant go wrong really

jafar
17th January 2007, 21:07
I am also going on a tour of the south island in Feb and have been pondering the same question myself . I am leaning towards cordura as we are going in one of the hottest months & cordura does breath a bit better IMHO . Also my dririder gear has the removable linings & the leathers don't.

Quasievil
17th January 2007, 21:34
Im not sure why people think Cordura breaths better? think, if its waterproof and it is, then it isnt going to breath, remember where air goes water goes, it simply doesnt breath.
In the Hotter months think of putting a chicken in a cooking bag and then sticking it in the oven, thats what its does, it is tightly sealed and allows no air to pass through the garment to the rider.
Sure some cordura has zips to allow air but if yours doesnt it will be terrible stuff to wear in summer.
Leather against cordura in summer , leather wins

eeeekk I cant stand the thought, sweaty crutch in tightly bunched up legs no room, hate the stuff, thats why Im selling the lot at $125 a piece, ya can take it people !!!

personal opinions of the author only expressed in this statement, no tests or google searches done to validate any claims made or suggested.
Basically a tired silly prick viocing his opinions to the world, Im harmless:shutup:

Idubbs
17th January 2007, 22:18
Regard it fortunate or not, my cordura jacket is rather loose fitting, especially without the quilted liner. I can ride with it partially zipped to allow air to circulate on a hot day. Unfortunately I can't say the same for my cordura pants which will be ultra hot as it's ultra padded........ For the heat of summer I'm favouring wearing my airmesh jacket and pants which is absolutley fantastic (especially when you're stuck in Dorkland traffic), but the magic disappears as soon as the temp drops below 20 degrees and can only be worn selectively when touring. So......so far there's no real consensus mainly 'cos we don't know what the weather will be like. I'd love to take it all but I'll need a trailer (and I don't ride a Goldwing....)

Krusti
17th January 2007, 22:24
Just bought my Spidi GT pants. Took the liner out tho...slid around a bit much on seat. GT Jacket arriving soon. Have allways worn leather jacket and oilskin vest so will see how the Spidi goes. Bloody Iti sizings tho.....couldn't believe I'm an xxl!

Must be getting old...meon3 and myself have also just got heated gloves.....I know ...pansies. Will have to wait for winter for the true test on these tho...

Devil
18th January 2007, 09:57
I'll be definately using my Cordura gear. Love my Dririder Summit2 jacket and pants. Good vents, good liners, keeps me bone dry.
No contest.

yungatart
18th January 2007, 10:05
I have both leather gear and Cordura...on hot days my Cordura sticks to me so badly that Mstrs has had to help peel me out of the stuff..eek (not that he complains.. LOL)
Leather breathes far more, and is more comfortable, in my opinion.
Having said that, though, my Cordura is not vented at all!

skelstar
18th January 2007, 10:13
I have one of these Shift MotoR textile jackets. Could be an option, but its scary how see through the mesh type fabric is. I guess it would hold pretty well if I hit the deck eh?

90s
19th January 2007, 08:06
Im not sure why people think Cordura breaths better? think, if its waterproof and it is, then it isnt going to breath, remember where air goes water goes, it simply doesnt breath.

Erm Quasi, you might want to examine how goretex works for example? You can pull the patents straight out of the patent database and you will find that materials technology - even for Cordura - allows extremely high hydrostatic (to 'waterproof' level) and high breathability :whocares: . Air is not water to many materials.

... (cue boomerang) having said that my cheap crappo version is not very breathable ...

Chuck me some of your leathers as a marketing freebie and I'll write here about how superior they are ... :innocent:

Idubbs
22nd January 2007, 21:04
As this thread has gone dead, I presume everyone has posted their thoughts. Thank you boys and girls - it seems opinion is quite divided between the merits of both leather and cordura. I guess while you are constantly on the move, it makes little difference which you wear. It's just the stopping/ standing in summer heat that's the killer.......both can be as uncomfortable as each other. If it's cold and/ or wet, cordura is a no brainer..... Now if it's blue sky and temps are >23 degrees right through the tour, then I'd feel the cats whiskers togged up only in airmesh. Trouble is, that we are talking about circumnavigating the S.I and it's most likely we'll get everything going..... Oh well, time to to toss the coin.....!

98tls
22nd January 2007, 21:10
FWIW perforated leathers trou are the way to go in my opinion.....if it rains i always carry a cheap pair of waterproof pull over pants from the warehouse.....good as anything.......for a jacket my choice is a teknic cordura one with vents.

Zapf
26th January 2007, 19:08
Ill be doing a Sth Isl tour mid-feb and Im trying to make my mind up regarding this issue. I want to do the tour in quite spirited riding liike I was riding in the weekend, and buggered if Ill be in sub-standard gear. I feel much more protected in leather. Back-protector too probably.

So what if it was 35deg in Murchison last year!

I have one of these Shift MotoR textile jackets. Could be an option, but its scary how see through the mesh type fabric is. I guess it would hold pretty well if I hit the deck eh?

Due to the heat we encountered last year I am waiting for my Airmesh jacket to arrive. Along with some cargo pants and some armor under neath all that. So hopefully I will be less warm than last year while keeping dry.

skelstar
26th January 2007, 19:16
Like those cargo pants. Which site you get them from? www.motostrano.com?

Zapf
26th January 2007, 22:58
yep. they are quite good.

http://www.motostrano-store.com/alcaripanew.html
& http://www.motostrano-store.com/acr.html

Gmonsta
27th January 2007, 12:21
Gore-tex all the way. Unless you plan on getting your knee down often dont bother with the leathers. No need to worry about changing, stopping or starting and if they are breathable and you can unzip a few bits here and there - bonus.