PDA

View Full Version : VMCC winter series under threat

Bartman10
17th January 2007, 10:41
Due to lack of volunteers there is a real chance that the series will not go ahead this year.

No one has offered to help out after my rant in the oily rag.

http://www.vicclub.co.nz/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=302

Please remember: It's your series. I'm not a racer so I don't care if the series doesn't go ahead. In fact the canceling of the series will give me one more Saturday per month to do other things.

For those that are interested in helping you will receive:

A free trackday after helping out at three meets;
Free lunch on the day;
Petrol vouchers to cover your transport costs;
Free magazines and other goodies;
The chance to meet fun like minded people
The chance to hang around motorbikes...

Helping out doesn't take a great deal of effort. If Clive can do it anyone can :first:

Right - o

ajturbo
17th January 2007, 13:32
WTF????
i have sent an email to the pres.
didn't he pass it on??????

Deano
17th January 2007, 13:36
Typical - I didn't read that bit in the newsletter......

I will ask around. Great idea posting it here Bartman !!

Bartman10
17th January 2007, 14:21
WTF????
i have sent an email to the pres.
didn't he pass it on??????

Thanks AJ. :first:

I'll ask Mr President. In the meantime could you forward it to me? bartman10 (at) gmail (dot) com

Cheers.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
17th January 2007, 14:31
I can help. I have had experience (in the car rally arena national and international), organising rallies, marshalling, Post Chief Start and Finish Crew, mainly Finish tallying up their race times - while they wait for it!! PM me to discuss.

Delboy
17th January 2007, 16:19
Hi AJ

Pres here, i havnt recieved an email from you but great to here you are interested in giving a hand.:rockon:

Derek

ajturbo
17th January 2007, 17:08
Hi AJ

Pres here, i havnt recieved an email from you but great to here you are interested in giving a hand.:rockon:

Derek
hey Del...
i have sent an email to bartman as he asked..
but i cannot find the dam email i sent to you....last year, i thought it was a bit strange that you didn't reply.........

but yer i'm keen for an INTERESTING job,..
but
we have just got a bike for luke, the rg150 streetstock...
can we do both?...
i would like to be there for him when he goes out and comes in...

we should be able to work something out!!!

Nicksta
17th January 2007, 19:19
I would offer, but i want to participate in this years winter series, not just watch!!
it is my main goal for this year.... might have to ask around and find some people to help out... would you offer petrol vouchers for people coming all the way from auckland (carpooling)?

Clivoris
17th January 2007, 21:44
Great idea to post here Bartman.
I've done the grid marshalling thing for a couple of years now and it is suspiciously satisfying. It should come with a warning though...Watch those clowns racing long enough and you might end up thinking you can do it yourself.
Seriously, if you think that you can commit to a weekend a month (you need to be there even if the weather is shit), it can be a real buzz. We run a great race series and if you like making a lot of people happy at once, it's better than dumping ecstacy into the town water supply. No reason why you can't do that as well though.

slowpoke
17th January 2007, 23:32
Having helped out at a couple of meetings in Oz I've gotta say that it's the closest you can get to the racing without climbing aboard a bike yourself.
I guess it's responsible for making me want to have a go myself 'cos it was just electrifying standing so close to the action, seeing, hearing and even smelling things you just don't get to appreciate from the safety of the stands.
There's a great sense of cameraderie amongst the regulars who were only too pleased to have a noobie involved, and there's a sense of satisfaction knowing that it can't happen without you.
If you are remotely interested in bike racing then please give it a try, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain from what I found to be a fantastic experience.

roogazza
18th January 2007, 09:44
This is a great way to get "up close" to the racing. Especially at Manfeild where you are limited to the main straight for spectators. From the middle you'll get a different prospective.
If you are coming up to the winter series for a look , why not offer to help out ? Gaz.

Clivoris
18th January 2007, 13:41
If anyone is interested, check the Vic Club link that Bartman10 has posted. I think that the main need is for people to assist with running the grid, helping with sign on, crash pickup etc. Corner marshalls are another issue but would be greatfully welcomed as well, I imagine.

svs
2nd February 2007, 10:54
bump. we're still needing help people.

steveyb
12th February 2007, 22:43
hey Del...
i have sent an email to bartman as he asked..
but i cannot find the dam email i sent to you....last year, i thought it was a bit strange that you didn't reply.........

but yer i'm keen for an INTERESTING job,..
but
we have just got a bike for luke, the rg150 streetstock...
can we do both?...
i would like to be there for him when he goes out and comes in...

we should be able to work something out!!!

Hey AJ.
Great to see that you are interested in helping out at the meetings and it would be great if there were more people that were.
Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that one cannot be doing anything else and also do the job correctly. There will come a time when you will end up spending more and more time with Luke and the bike and the job will be neglected (ie when he falls off and needs help fixing the bike, or the bike is broken and he decides he doesn't want to come).
Even if one has all the best intentions, this is what will end up happening, it always does.
Of course this can be mitigated if there are heaps of people to help and to cover the jobs, but so far this seems not to be the case.
VMCC really need to know by March that there will be staff on hand. Running around at the end of April to find people is not good enough.
Hopefully a solution will be found.
Cheers, Steveyb (recent VMCC committee member).

ajturbo
13th February 2007, 06:35
There will come a time when you will end up spending more and more time with Luke and the bike and the job will be neglected (or the bike is broken and he decides he doesn't want to come).
if that happens, it would free up my time....fuck him if dosen't want to come!... i have a life that dosen't have to involove him...like the time:innocent: :shutup:

GSVR
13th February 2007, 09:56
I have just been reading Carl Fogertys Autobiography and in his motocross days the riders had to take turns at sitting out meetings to marshall. I could see this system working. Riders could nominate a round they wanted to sit out at the begining of the season and everyone could drop one round. I the event of a rider not having a bike due to mechanical or accident damage they could marshal several meetings and receive credits and do all the rounds the following year and drop their worst round.

Just an idea.

Toast
13th February 2007, 09:59
Damn, I really hope that they can get enough people. I'm planning on doing this series. Racers who aren't currently out could perhaps do a session at one of the stations closer to the pits? I for one wouldn't mind doing that. Not sure if it's desirable, but if it would let the races go ahead, then why not?

bistard
13th February 2007, 10:05
Its my understanding that the Marshalls are not the big issue
Its the manpower required to run the grid/crash crew/clark of the course
& the hours leading up to the event,clearing entries etc

roogazza
13th February 2007, 11:48
Well if they haven't got it sorted by the end of March , I'm booking my fares to Mugello, Catalunya and Misano ! Two motogps and a superbike round in three weeks !!!!!!!! Gaz.

bistard
13th February 2007, 11:51
Well if they haven't got it sorted by the end of March , I'm booking my fares to Mugello, Catalunya and Misano ! Two motogps and a superbike round in three weeks !!!!!!!! Gaz.

Do you need someone to carry your bags
Mr Gazza,me old mate,wink,wink

roogazza
13th February 2007, 11:57
Do you need someone to carry your bags
Mr Gazza,me old mate,wink,wink

You could carry the bags, but you might not like the sex !!! G.

MikeyG
13th February 2007, 12:20
I've put myself foward for it.

I'm told that if you can help out come along to the club night on Tue 20 Feb at the Evans Bay Yacht Club in Wgtn. 7:30pm

Shaun
13th February 2007, 12:22
I have just been reading Carl Fogertys Autobiography and in his motocross days the riders had to take turns at sitting out meetings to marshall. I could see this system working. Riders could nominate a round they wanted to sit out at the begining of the season and everyone could drop one round. I the event of a rider not having a bike due to mechanical or accident damage they could marshal several meetings and receive credits and do all the rounds the following year and drop their worst round.

Just an idea.

Bloody good idea me thinks, everyone gets to take a turn.

I can help out from July on, not before sorry

ajturbo
13th February 2007, 13:07
yes.. luke and i will stand down for one race day if needed...

ajturbo
13th February 2007, 13:11
I've put myself foward for it.

I'm told that if you can help out come along to the club night on Tue 20 Feb at the Evans Bay Yacht Club in Wgtn. 7:30pm
will try and make that.... TRY is the word

madmal64
13th February 2007, 13:23
Both SVS & Clivoris know that Im up for it! Happy to help out.

skelstar
13th February 2007, 15:06
Bartman knows Im up for the job, but am unable to attend the meeting as I will be holidaying in the glorious South!

Clivoris
13th February 2007, 15:14
:banana: :banana: :spudflip: :banana: :banana:
Shit hot people. This is starting to look promising and it is good fun. Many thanks.

Bartman10
13th February 2007, 15:43
Alright folks.

Just summing up, then.

So far we've got :first:

AJ-Turbo (also helping out with pit crew work)
BMW
MikeyG
Madmal64
Skelstar

Maybe or part timers etc
Shawn
dhunt

Slowpoke and roogazza - was that an offer of help? You sound pretty enthusiastic.

Any others? The more people we have the easier it will be for everyone.

I'm going to organise a beer and pizza night for potential helpers in the next few weeks so we can sort out the details. Let me know what night suits etc. That includes you Clivoris. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Clivoris
13th February 2007, 15:57
Sure Bartman. I'm a slut for beer and pizza. I can give them a heads up about what occurs etc. Tips on how to manage the groupies so you don't burn out during the day, and other important stuff. Can we coordinate it with a club night?

Cleve
13th February 2007, 18:17
Slightly off topic but is there any chance of a VMCC SUMMER series.
We have Nationals, PMCC and AMCC (for us in North Is).
Nat's are all over (3 in South Is...), PMCC couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and AMCC run at Puke.

VMCC do a GREAT series (in my limited experience) and spending Jan/Feb/March/April between Manfield and Taupo is much more appealing than: Fielding in winter, Puke at any time, PMCC at most times...

Might help with marshalls to in that in winter sitting at corners is a bitch but in summer would be quite pleasant...

Just an idea.

rustys
13th February 2007, 19:23
We have Nationals, PMCC and AMCC (for us in North Is).
Nat's are all over (3 in South Is...), PMCC couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and AMCC run at Puke.

VMCC do a GREAT series (in my limited experience) and spending Jan/Feb/March/April between Manfield and Taupo is much more appealing than: Fielding in winter, Puke at any time, PMCC at most times...

Might help with marshalls to in that in winter sitting at corners is a bitch but in summer would be quite pleasant...

Just an idea.
Come on cleve, PMCC do the best job they can, with the limited resorces they have , they are a very small club, and are facing the same problems as the Vic Club, and have always had to scratch the bottom of the barrel to get help at running race meetings. Unfortunately i feel most clubs are going down this road, lacking helpers. I have been racing over the last four years doing the full Vic Series, and PMCC, i might even take some time off the racing this year and give these guys a hand, QUOTE : (you only get something out of it , if you put some effort back in ) and i certainly don't want to see the series lost.:rockon:
There would'nt be much racing to be had if we lost the one or even both clubs pulling out now would there !

Clivoris
13th February 2007, 19:41

Just an idea.

Cheers Cleve. We put a bit of effort into trying to have things as professional and affordable as we can. I recently had this same discussion with another committee member, but I was intoxicated at the time and can no longer remember the details:doh: Seems like a brilliant idea to me. A topic for our next meeting.

madmal64
13th February 2007, 20:05
I'm going to organise a beer and pizza night for potential helpers in the next few weeks so we can sort out the details. Let me know what night suits etc. That includes you Clivoris. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Monday & Tuesday nights are not good for me. Anything else I can work around with a little notice.

Clivoris
13th February 2007, 20:34
Monday & Tuesday nights are not good for me. Anything else I can work around with a little notice.

Cool. I can change as long as there is beer.

madmal64
13th February 2007, 20:35
Dont forget about the pizza! Someone did mention pizza!

chanceyy
13th February 2007, 20:49
Hi guys

do you have dates for the winter series ??

I would not mind helping out .. will be there anyway & only 40 mins away

I only work one in 8 saturdays so if i have dates can confirm when i will be there

u4ea
13th February 2007, 21:25
ok at this stage i can offer help....entries maybe ????

Cleve
14th February 2007, 06:59
Cheers Cleve. We put a bit of effort into trying to have things as professional and affordable as we can. I recently had this same discussion with another committee member, but I was intoxicated at the time and can no longer remember the details:doh: Seems like a brilliant idea to me. A topic for our next meeting.

You are welcome. Happy to hear it. Looking forward to more on this in the future.

Cleve
14th February 2007, 07:03
Come on cleve, PMCC do the best job they can, with the limited resorces they have , they are a very small club, and are facing the same problems as the Vic Club, and have always had to scratch the bottom of the barrel to get help at running race meetings. Unfortunately i feel most clubs are going down this road, lacking helpers. I have been racing over the last four years doing the full Vic Series, and PMCC, i might even take some time off the racing this year and give these guys a hand, QUOTE : (you only get something out of it , if you put some effort back in ) and i certainly don't want to see the series lost.:rockon:
There would'nt be much racing to be had if we lost the one or even both clubs pulling out now would there !

This is not the thread to discuss PMCC and I don't want to criticize anymore here. I appreciate PMCC try hard with their limited resources and at a track like Taupo, but they could do a lot better. Happy to discuss ideas that myself and other racers have if you are a member of PMCC.

Clivoris
14th February 2007, 07:35
Hi guys

do you have dates for the winter series ??

I would not mind helping out .. will be there anyway & only 40 mins away

I only work one in 8 saturdays so if i have dates can confirm when i will be there

Hi chanceyy. Follow the link from Bartman's first post in this thread. Somewhere on the vicclub website will be all the info you seek.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
14th February 2007, 14:04

Same here.

MikeyG
14th February 2007, 14:39
I'm going to organise a beer and pizza night for potential helpers

To put it as a cheesy movie quote:

If you buy it I will come

Bartman10
14th February 2007, 15:01
What about a Friday night? To me a Friday seems sensible for beer and pizza.

How about Friday the 2nd of March? Let me know. That way I can clear a beer and pizza budget with the committee.

For the non-wellywood folk, I'll get some details out and you can mull over what you want to do.

Any other takers? It's only 6 or 7 days per year.

I'll keep you posted.

Right-o

chanceyy
14th February 2007, 16:32
Hi chanceyy. Follow the link from Bartman's first post in this thread. Somewhere on the vicclub website will be all the info you seek.

cheers Clive will check with my work roster tomorrow .. but so far most of those dates look do- able ..

Not that I have any experience with race bikes so to speak but quick to learn etc ..

bistard
14th February 2007, 16:37
cheers Clive will check with my work roster tomorrow .. but so far most of those dates look do- able ..

Not that I have any experience with race bikes so to speak but quick to learn etc ..

Mate,you dont need to know anything about bikes at all,see Clive did ok
I helped run the Winter series for years,as long as you are keen,can make a decision & want to learn you will be fine
The Vic Club,has a really good format,that is easy to learn & the more hands,make it easy
By the way,you will get to meet heaps of neat people

chanceyy
14th February 2007, 16:40
Mate,you dont need to know anything about bikes at all,see Clive did ok
I helped run the Winter series for years,as long as you are keen,can make a decision & want to learn you will be fine
The Vic Club,has a really good format,that is easy to learn & the more hands,make it easy
By the way,you will get to meet heaps of neat people

KB has already done that for me mate LOL .. just mean I am not familiar with the tasks needed on actual race days .. but prob not much diff from speedway, horse racing scenes .. ohh yeah did i mention my strong suit is time management & organising .. LOL

shit next i will be sending in my CV lol

bistard
14th February 2007, 16:44
KB has already done that for me mate LOL .. just mean I am not familiar with the tasks needed on actual race days .. but prob not much diff from speedway, horse racing scenes .. ohh yeah did i mention my strong suit is time management & organising .. LOL

shit next i will be sending in my CV lol

You will be perfect,one thing the Vic Club is known for is running a meeting to time

madmal64
14th February 2007, 18:18
What about a Friday night? To me a Friday seems sensible for beer and pizza.

How about Friday the 2nd of March? Let me know. That way I can clear a beer and pizza budget with the committee.

Fridays are fine for me. penciled the 2nd.

Clivoris
14th February 2007, 18:49
:doh: Me simple man. Me help Vic Club. Me like Friday.

chanceyy
14th February 2007, 21:00
:doh: Me simple man. Me help Vic Club. Me like Friday.

friday is a bugger with all the traffic .. buttttttttt it just so happens that I am on a course in wellywood on that day ... might just take me longer to get home due to traffic :shutup:

if its on the way home better still .. will be in thorndon all day .. heading home up the gorge .. so where is the meeting place again .. & what time ..

to tired to read back over the thread again

MikeyG
19th February 2007, 10:24
Bump.

Meeting tomorrow night if you can help out.

If you are worried about cost I read VMCC pays gas for you to get to track and provides lunch, plus you get a free track day at some time or other

Nasty
19th February 2007, 10:47
Meeting details are????

chanceyy
19th February 2007, 19:00
Bump.

Meeting tomorrow night if you can help out.

If you are worried about cost I read VMCC pays gas for you to get to track and provides lunch, plus you get a free track day at some time or other

where is meeting tomorrow nite ?????? & time ?????

svs
19th February 2007, 19:04
VicClub monthly meeting is at Evans Bay Yacht club, wellington. 7:30pm

(committee should be there from 6:30, but that's the boring stuff)

Clivoris
19th February 2007, 19:18
Meeting tomorrow night is the Victoria club committee meeting at 6.30. This tends to be focussed on issues around the organisation of the series and other club stuff. If you like this stuff your probably welcome. 7.30 on is more social if you want to turn up. Back in the day it used to be a bit of a party apparently. Old guys like bistard will know more about that. Bartman10 is organising another meeting maybe on friday March 1st specifically for potential volunteers to assist with the race day sign-on, crash recovery, safety car, grid-marshalling and other bits n pieces. He seems to be planning on showering us with beer and pizza.

chanceyy
19th February 2007, 19:25
Meeting tomorrow night is the Victoria club committee meeting at 6.30. This tends to be focussed on issues around the organisation of the series and other club stuff. If you like this stuff your probably welcome. 7.30 on is more social if you want to turn up. Back in the day it used to be a bit of a party apparently. Old guys like bistard will know more about that. Bartman10 is organising another meeting maybe on friday March 1st specifically for potential volunteers to assist with the race day sign-on, crash recovery, safety car, grid-marshalling and other bits n pieces. He seems to be planning on showering us with beer and pizza.

K well depending on how traffic is getting to wellywood on a fri nite could be a mission ... (apart from no idea where the club is)

any chance of having that meeting somewhere easy for us out of towners to attend ????

MikeyG
20th February 2007, 12:10
bump.

Meeting 7:30 tonight if interested.

I know there is a beer and pizza meeting mentioned but Phil from VMCC asked me to come along tonight if I could so I'm suggesting others that can help out come as well.

Bartman and Clive seem to have a good handle on things so maybe tonight isn't necessary.

Clivoris
20th February 2007, 14:34
bump.

Meeting 7:30 tonight if interested.

I know there is a beer and pizza meeting mentioned but Phil from VMCC asked me to come along tonight if I could so I'm suggesting others that can help out come as well.

Bartman and Clive seem to have a good handle on things so maybe tonight isn't necessary.

Definitely come along tonite if you have the time and the inclination folks. It is always good to put faces to names and check out the Vic Club meetings. I guess I just don't want to over sell it. The least it will be is an opportunity to talk about motorcycles. There is often cutting wit on display as well.:2thumbsup

Nasty
20th February 2007, 14:50
Grub and I will be there .. well that is the plan .. looks like a good night for riding :scooter:

Clivoris
20th February 2007, 15:34
Grub and I will be there .. well that is the plan .. looks like a good night for riding :scooter:

Did I see you up the hill sunday late arvo?

Nasty
20th February 2007, 16:05
Did I see you up the hill sunday late arvo?

Yes .. sitting having a cuppa in the cafe :)

madmal64
1st March 2007, 10:09
Bartman10 is organising another meeting maybe on friday March 1st specifically for potential volunteers to assist with the race day sign-on, crash recovery, safety car, grid-marshalling and other bits n pieces. He seems to be planning on showering us with beer and pizza.

Any news on if this meeting is happening? If so where & what time?

Clivoris
1st March 2007, 12:49
Any news on if this meeting is happening? If so where & what time?

Not sure yet bro. Can anyone suggest a venue? I'm in Palmy tomorrow but should be back in time to head to a meeting if we are having one. Probly take my cage if you want a ride.

Bartman10
1st March 2007, 13:58
Here are the details:

VMCC helpers:

We are going to meet at Mediterranean Food Warehouse for a slice of pizza and a beer to discuss our requirements. I hope this suites everyone.

Time: 7:30
Day: Friday the 2nd of March.

The Pizzeria and cafe is situated in front of the shop/warehouse at cnr Daniell & Constable Sts, Newtown, Wellington.

Please RSVP ASAP.

Cheers.

If you want more details please PM me or Clivoris :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

skelstar
1st March 2007, 14:01
So which corner BMX? Pick a colour :)

Not that it matters I suppose...have registered my RSVP-age.

Bartman10
1st March 2007, 14:06
Hi Skel

The address is

42 Constable St Newtown

The website is:

http://www.medifoods.co.nz/pizza/pizzeriacafe.php

Cheers! :first:

bistard
1st March 2007, 14:06
GREEN,I like green
Good luck guys