PDA

View Full Version : This day 16 years ago... (17 January)

nudemetalz
17th January 2007, 13:15
Well, yes it was the start of the first Gulf War, but it was also the day my beloved Dad left us due to a totally avoidable road crash caused by an old guy.

I know this anniversary should not be remembered but only the good times, however that’s not so easy, as many of you will know..

So all I have to say is " Rock on in heaven, Dad and keep riding like the wind (that being MACH111 wind) !!"

edit: That first pic is my Mum, myself and my wife, Bridget, taken a year ago.

Yeh, those sort of anniversaries are never much fun eh.

toycollector10
17th January 2007, 13:37
A very nice tribute to your father. I'm sure he was very proud of you.

nudemetalz
17th January 2007, 13:42
Thanks, guys.

He's probably thinking "You still not tamed that 'Guzzi yet !!"

Hahah, my old man always wanted to ride, got his license and that, but never managed to keep a bike running long enough to get out on the road.

Now me and my brother both ride, I think he would've liked to see us out and about, just a shame he never got to ride with us.

ManDownUnder
17th January 2007, 13:52
Don't take this as being hugely negative... but you'll remember the anniversary of his death as long as it's important to you... and may that be a long long time...

nudemetalz
17th January 2007, 14:02
I know what youre saying ManDownUnder, unfort I was there to turn off the machine so it will be, maybe not important, but significant.

At times I feel like he rides pillion with me and as he was a roadracer and fine roadrider, he's directing me onto good lines through corners.

Alright I'm starting to sound creepy now !!!

98tls
17th January 2007, 14:37
Great pic.........awsome.....sad day for you but bet you and your mum have some great memories................sounds like a top bloke.

Pwalo
17th January 2007, 14:44
All the best mate. Funny just how much influence your father has on you.

I was up at Mum and Dad's place in Papamoa over the break, and Dad got his old '52 Royal Enfield out and rode around the yard. It felt really funny seeing someone in his seventies doing that.

gixermike
17th January 2007, 15:07
No how you feel.

Sunday was dads 'anniversary' as well. 6 years has gone quickly.

Mike

paturoa
17th January 2007, 15:14
If you want to share, I'd like to hear any stories about the Mach III (H2 750?) and the racing.

nudemetalz
17th January 2007, 15:34
Well from what I remember him telling me:- (it was a long time ago)

The MACH 111 was the first 500 triple (the real deal !!).
He raced it at Ruapuna back in 1970 and 1971 before selling it and getting a Yamaha R5 (the forerunner to the air-cooled RD-350).

(There’s some links here on KB with some of his racing pics I’ve uploaded).

Anyway they used to do Le Mans starts back in those days.
That’s where they run across the track to the bike, jump on and scream off.
OSH wasn’t an issue !!
I remember him telling me once, he did that in a race got the Mach 111 started and put it up into first (they were 5 up !!) couldn’t hear the bike for all of the racing noises around him and dumped the clutch at redline. Resulting effect was big wheel spin followed by rear-wheel hook-up and instant out of control wheel-stand. Managed to tame beast (just !!) and carry on !!.

He told me that cornering was a mission 2-up on the Mach 111 as most of the time the front wheel was in the air and had no effect whatsoever on the bike turning abilites (which were quite limited anyway)!!

Also remember him telling me when him and Mum went on the Kaikoura Trail ('72'ish) (you old fullah’s here will remember that) on the Yamaha R5. Anyway, they fell off on a bridge. He went running straight past Mum and picked up the bike first !!

I’ve got some old b&w pics of him on the Trial which I’ll scan and post when I get a chance.

gijoe1313
17th January 2007, 18:59
Thanks for sharing that - bugger that your dad ain't around with you, but I'm sure hes there in spirit as you say! Sounds hardcase about that Mach111! Nice b&w piccy of the two bikes, old school is cool... :yes:

Meanie
17th January 2007, 19:20
I know how you feel my dad died three years ago but on boxing day so now every christmas i am reminded of my dad passing away, even my children remember boxing day as the day they lost thier grandad :bye:
But hey, he new when to depart so we would never forget him
Thanks for sharing that
Its good you never forget :yes:

Moko Potaka
20th January 2007, 21:49
arohamai bro.i remember almost 20 years ago on the 3rd of feb 87 riding my pride an joy along salesyard rd in otahuhu when this truck decided he could beat me into a driveway,as he was pulling across the road i slammed into the side of the tractor unit,spun under his trailer and because he didnt want to stop,he drove over my upper leg.as he kept driving i pulled my leg free only to be caught by the 2nd wheel.thats when he decided to stop....on my ankle.yelling at him to get off my leg i was also trying to grab him to shake his hand.....(NOT!!)
for those not so lucky and to their familys i wish you all peace.
anniversarys can be a bummer and i have the scars to remind me how lucky i was.on the 3rd of feb 07 the way i will remember that day 20 years ago will be by joining the ride for life team for 2 days at the start of their journey around NZ.a great cause where we can make a difference(if only small) to the quality of someones life.many of my family have been affected by cancer so this is also for them.
be safe and keep those headlights beaming...here we come!!

quickbuck
20th January 2007, 22:05

At times I feel like he rides pillion with me and as he was a roadracer and fine roadrider, he's directing me onto good lines through corners.

Alright I'm starting to sound creepy now !!!

Not at all creepy. All depends in what you believe in.

Sorry to hear your father was prematurely taken, however it is great to hear you have fond memories. Some aren't so lucky.

nudemetalz
21st January 2007, 07:17
Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts.
Todays ride over to Masterton for the Airshow will be in his honour. Will have the pillion pegs down.

Ride one, ride on.....

Edbear
21st January 2007, 08:51
Sorry to hear your father was prematurely taken, however it is great to hear you have fond memories. Some aren't so lucky.

I agree, he sounds like he was a great guy! Anyone who raced a Kawi triple, (and the 500 was my favourite, real style!), had big brave ones!

My Dad died 1 Jan, '89 and I still miss him. I wish he was here to see his Great Grandson growing up and all the stuff that's happened to us all. My Mum turns 75 in Feb and I cherish her!

My Father-in-Law and my wife were very close and he passed away May '99.

It does us good to remember and take stock of how we value our loved ones. Too easy to get caught up in "life" and miss opportunities until it's too late.

Good post, mate.