PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous road condition warning website in NZ

-df-
17th January 2007, 15:09
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any interest in a website where riders can report and get dangerous road conditions and anything else that could cause harm to motorbike riders in NZ?

The information would need to be maintaned by users (e.g. added when they notice something and also put an expiry date against it...something like 5 days for an oil spill, 2 weeks for bad road works etc etc).

Something really good, but wouldn't be there at the start is you type in your start and destination (and maybe fill in where you are going thru etc) and it generates a report giving you all known problems etc...this could take a bit though so would be a later feature.

I've got a project I'm working on until mid march so couldn't look into it until then but just wondering if its even worth my time thinking about it.

unfortunatly it would require payment to get reports etc (anyone could report a problem tho...or maybe not depending how many false ones are generated). I wouldn't be looking for a profit, but would want it to pay for the server space and my time to mantain any issues with the system (recoding etc, not being the admin person)...so guessing it wouldn't cost very much, and the more people that use it the cheaper it would be. It could even get to a stage where advertising from motorbike shops etc would pay for it making it a free site...who knows!!

So...what are your thoughts???

imdying
17th January 2007, 15:10
If it's not free, they won't come.

pervert
17th January 2007, 15:14
It's a good idea...I'd like to submit the entire stretch of road between Dunedin and Oamaru as a potential hazard, especially the Kilmog area and it's giant dips and potholes.

-df-
17th January 2007, 15:15
If it's not free, they won't come.

that unfortunatly is true, but it could be something like $1-$5 for a report (so you only pay when you want the information).

So I also need to know what people would be willing to pay if anything at all.

Either a per report payment, or a monthly type thing...

imdying
17th January 2007, 15:20
The only assest the site has are the contributions. Given that people are going to be donating them, charging them to get others isn't going to endear you to the public. You will need to use the trusty ad revenue model like many others, and give the content away free, like many others, or it won't work.

Sycophant
17th January 2007, 15:25
I'll join the 'it should be free' chior.

Value-added services (txt alerts or something) maybe, but for being able to retrieve the aggregated information that we'd be provide, being charged doesn't appeal.

It's a good idea, and one I've thought about myself... I think it would have to be free to work.

-df-
17th January 2007, 15:32
hmmm...maybe something like free access to all information, but if you want a map printed out with all the locations marked and stuff like that you have to pay...Don't know.

Please throw any ideas you have up here as I'm keen and would love to do it free but I'm not willing to pay for the server space out of my own pocket (as I don't have alot to throw away :whocares: ) and think its something NZ really needs (considering all the threads that keep popping up about offs...bad conditions etc).

imdying
17th January 2007, 15:34
I'm not willing to pay for the server space out of my own pocketYou'll need to construct a workable business model like the rest of us then. See what GoogleAds will bring you in for starters. Potentially, you could sell banner ads and the like for say the AA or Repco for extra revenue. PM Big Dave, he'll have been down this road once or twice in New Zealand.

-df-
17th January 2007, 15:38
note: when I say out of my own pocket I mean after say 6 months as it takes a while to get something like this going.

Cheers for the info imdying.

Beemer
17th January 2007, 16:17
I think most people post info about dangerous bits of road or roadworks, oil spills, etc here so I for one wouldn't be keen to pay for a service that does the same. Doesn't the AA have a similar service - and isn't their's free?

Korea
17th January 2007, 16:40
Sounds like a nice idea.
You could do different membership levels: For (a pretty poor) example...
Free - basic access and upload info'
Bronze - $3 p/month. Standard features, maps download etc.
Silver - $5 extends bronze + txt alerts in your area (or something)
Gold - $10 extends silver + GPS connectivity + a blowie :dodge:

Don't just target it at bikes - get cars et al. involved.
Design the systems to run by themselves, get a viable business model running and sell it for immense profit and... RULE THE WORLD!!! :Punk:

Actually, what I'd really like is a system that gets updated hourly, indicating where all the fixed and mobile speed cameras are, along with HP locations. They've got something like that in UK that connects to your GPS - anything like that in NZ? If not, you know what to do...

Sycophant
18th January 2007, 09:33
Actually, what I'd really like is a system that gets updated hourly, indicating where all the fixed and mobile speed cameras are, along with HP locations. They've got something like that in UK that connects to your GPS - anything like that in NZ? If not, you know what to do...

I've thought for ages that a txt-based service like that would be a money-maker.

You sign up, and indicate what areas you are interested in.

When you spot a speed camera you txt the location in, and the details are delivered to all people who have subscribed for alerts in that area.

You'd get a credit when you texted, but other than that you'd pay to get alerts ($0.50 per alert or something).

However the cops would be displeased, and I hate speeding arseholes in cars, so I wouldn't want to make it happen.

Speed cameras are part of the game. You know the rules, if you break them and get caught then so be it.

Hitcher
18th January 2007, 10:30
There is such a service. It's called AA Roadwatch. It's maintained by the AA, Tranzit and the Police. http://www.aaroadwatch.co.nz/index.html

jetboy
18th January 2007, 13:16
also check out http://www.hauraki.co.nz/timeSaverTraffic/

Finn
18th January 2007, 13:19
But I haven't got internet access on my bike.

McJim
18th January 2007, 13:20

With the value of your bike you should have.

edit - sorry - forgot it's Italian - electrics a no go before you start.

Finn
18th January 2007, 13:22
With the value of your bike you should have.

edit - sorry - forgot it's Italian - electrics a no go before you start.

At least it's not pull start.

Hitcher
18th January 2007, 13:45

The AA Roadwatch service will send info to you via text, fax, email, carrier pigeon or smoke signals. You specify the means of receipt that suits you best for the roads that are of most interest to you. I prefer the tomtoms myself.

Finn
18th January 2007, 13:48
The AA Roadwatch service will send info to you via text, fax, email, carrier pigeon or smoke signals. You specify the means of receipt that suits you best for the roads that are of most interest to you. I prefer the tomtoms myself.

Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of agencies watching the roads, but none fixing them.