PDA

View Full Version : ZX-10R Recall!?

Marknz
31st July 2004, 08:45
Folks,

Not sure if we have anyone on here with a ZX-10R, but you might know someone has. This comes from a very reliable Australian M/C website...

"Heavy rumours of a major recall affecting all ZX-10R Kawasakis for replacement of the front wheel. Stand by for more news as it comes to hand "

I'll post more information here as it comes to hand, but if you own one or know someone who does, I'd suggest that this info is good enough for them not to be using the Kwaka until this issue is cleared up.

DEATH_INC.
31st July 2004, 08:52
Dunno what it is with Kwak lately,their quality control seems to have gone to the dogs....The 12 was recalled for a few stupid little things that should never have got into production too.And there were a few other well known problems that there was no recall for as well...... :bash:

Antallica
31st July 2004, 10:17
Probably trying to push their products before they are ready (and safe!) to counter the competition.

Paul in NZ
2nd August 2004, 17:41
Not that I own one but on the MCN website...

July 30 2004
ZX-10R recall warning
Kawasaki is recalling the ZX-10R and advising owners NOT TO RIDE until they have had their front wheels replaced.
The firm says only three front wheels have been reported as defective, globally, but, "for the reassurance of customers we have decided to replace all front wheels, regardless of their condition, free of charge."
The statement from Kawasaki continues: "We are instructing customers not to use their motorcycle until the front wheel is replaced. We expect the majority of machines retailed in Europe to be modified by early September."
The firm says there is the possibility of loan bikes in "special circumstances".
ZX-10R owners should contact their dealers immediately.

A spokesman said: "Your machine should be transported to the dealer on a trailer or with a van. Shjould this be impossible, the machine should be ridden slowly and carefully to the dealer. However, as a precaution, choose the shortest possible route on well-surfaced roads and if you notice anything strange, stop immediately and call the dealer.

"Do not ride the machine other than to deliver it to the dealer for repair."
Kawasaki says rear wheels are not affected. Kawasaki says it is a "vendor-manufacturing defect in the casting process" that is to blame.

FAQs about this Product Safety Recall:

Q: Do all ZX-10Rs have this defect?
A: No, but all examples built so far are being modified as a precaustion because a visual inspection of the front wheel will not reveal if a potential defect exists.
Q Why is only the front wheel affected?
A: The rear wheel moulds are different to those used for front wheels.
Q: Should I stop using my machine?
A : Yes, we strongly recommend this, for all usage, until the front wheel is replaced.
Q: If I cannot ride my bike, how do I deliver it to the dealer for modification?
A: Preferably your machine should be transported to the dealer on a trailer or with a van. Should this be impossible, the machine should be ridden slowly and carefully to the dealer. However as a precaution, choose the shortest possible route on well surfaced roads and if you notice anything strange, stop immediately and call the dealer. Do not ride the machine other than to deliver it to the dealer for repair.
Q: I do not own a ZX-10R but the wheel fitted to my bike is of the same design. Should I be worried?
A : No. The problem is confined to ZX-10R front wheel moulds only.
Q: My bike is my sole means of transport, I cannot be off the road until it is fixed. What should I do?
A : Please discuss such special circumstances with your dealer. A loan machine may be available.
Q: Why will it take until September to modify all the machines?
A : It is limited by the wheel vendor’s production capacity.
Q: Can I fit a substitute wheel and continue to ride my bike?
A : No, as other Kawasaki front wheels will not readily fit without major modification. Further more, non ZX-10R front wheels may weigh more than the original, which may result in adverse handling of the bike.
Q: How many defective reports have been received?
Answer : Three cases worldwide

Q: Why have defective wheels been delivered from the vendor to KHI?
A : The checking process of the vendor was not precise enough.
Q: What measures will the vendor take in the future?
A : A more precise x-ray check will be made of all wheels produced and casting improvements will be made to eliminate porosity.
Q: Does this problem also occur on the ZX-10R rear wheels and/or other models?
A : There have been no reports received on any other models other than the ZX-10R, nor on the ZX-10R rear wheel. The rear wheel moulds are different to those used for front wheels.

This shit is what happens when you start messing with overhead cams...

Paul N

aff-man
2nd August 2004, 17:56
Well there is a guy out this way that rides one if i see him i'll give him the bad news :killingme

Motu
2nd August 2004, 20:27
''Wheel vendor'' - that means they weren't made by Kawasaki...wanna bet where they were made,you can probably leave Japan off the list....

wkid_one
2nd August 2004, 20:46
''Wheel vendor'' - that means they weren't made by Kawasaki...wanna bet where they were made,you can probably leave Japan off the list....
Made by Kwakasaki???? - I think you will find most bike manufacturers out source the rims. My VTR rims were made by Enkei

Motu
2nd August 2004, 21:11
Made by Kwakasaki???? - I think you will find most bike manufacturers out source the rims. My VTR rims were made by Enkei

Oh no!!! you,you mean they could be like
Harleys !!! not really made by the company with the name on the tank!I'm gunna sell all my Jap bikes and get a Triumph - at least the British are honest!

Ghost Lemur
2nd August 2004, 21:33
Pretty good of them to be recalling the whole lot due to only three incidences.

Motu
2nd August 2004, 22:13
Pretty shit scared I'd call it!

James Deuce
2nd August 2004, 22:16
Dunno what it is with Kwak lately,their quality control seems to have gone to the dogs....

Since Suzuki started making Kawasakis :D

FzerozeroT
2nd August 2004, 22:43
Since Suzuki started making Kawasakis :D

Kawasaki make suzuki's, maybe they have a 50-50 deal

wkid_one
2nd August 2004, 22:49
Pretty good of them to be recalling the whole lot due to only three incidences.
Can you say Public Liability

pete376403
2nd August 2004, 23:29
And the fallout from the Mitsubishi fiasco. An article in Time magazine states that it (the recall scandal) could well mean the end of Mitsubishi as a motor vehicle manufacturer. Sad, but on the bright side - no more Pajeros!

Motu
3rd August 2004, 07:26
Sad, but on the bright side - no more Pajeros!

I'm not going without a fight! I'm taking as many with me as I can when I go.

AMPS
3rd August 2004, 15:42
Harleys !!! not really made by the company with the name on the tank!I'm gunna sell all my Jap bikes and get a Triumph - at least the British are honest!

Sure Motu, buy yourself a 100% pure British made motorbike.
Lou

jrandom
3rd August 2004, 15:47
My VTR rims were made by Enkei

Ditto mine.

Maybe Enkei do the Kwaks as well, and got the FXR and 10R molds mixed up.

vifferman
3rd August 2004, 15:49
Harleys !!! not really made by the company with the name on the tank!I'm gunna sell all my Jap bikes and get a Triumph - at least the British are honest!You're saying this tongue in cheek, right? Knowing that there are a lot of Japanese parts in/on your average modern Triumph?

Cajun
3rd August 2004, 15:55
There are like 6 zx10rs in tauranga, brother in law has one and sold the other 5 before he stoped working at the local kawa dealer.

He has siad ever since i got the bike that the front wheel felt funny when coming down from wheelstands. Just gotta wait and see how nz kawasaki get there ass in to gear, we had a few problems with them a few years ago with over a nother product call they said they did not know anything about, where all you need to do a simple web search and it was there.

wkid_one
3rd August 2004, 15:56
You're saying this tongue in cheek, right? Knowing that there are a lot of Japanese parts in/on your average modern Triumph?
A Lot? You mean there are MORE Jap parts than british parts don't you?

White trash
5th August 2004, 15:38
A Lot? You mean there are MORE Jap parts than british parts don't you?

Triupmh make over 70% of their bike components in the Triumph factory.

Motu
5th August 2004, 17:04
You're saying this tongue in cheek, right? Knowing that there are a lot of Japanese parts in/on your average modern Triumph?

And German,Italian or whoever else puts in the best quote,not to mention a bit of NZ influence in design of some models.Global economy - ''made in ...'' means nothing these days.

Jackrat
5th August 2004, 17:15
Triupmh make over 70% of their bike components in the Triumph factory.

Which makes em' the most domesticaly produced Motorcycle in the world today.Not that there is anything wrong with jap parts anyway.

Q, Why do poms drink warm beer.
A, Joe lucas made fridges too. :msn-wink:

LB
6th August 2004, 05:38
Q, Why do poms drink warm beer.
A, Joe lucas made fridges too. :msn-wink:

I like it!!!