View Full Version : The Perfect Shift

Skyryder
31st July 2004, 23:52
Some of you racy types my be interested in this. The perfect shift

http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7190

Skyryder

wkid_one
1st August 2004, 11:48
I clutchless shifted most times I was accelerating hard - small release of the throttle and she just falls in to gear.

You can do the same on the downshift - however your timing for blipping the throttle needs to be spot on - otherwise you can look like a learner driver trying to change gear - or you can pull the start of a wicked mono if you get too eager

Magua
1st August 2004, 14:35
I've contemplated clutchless shifting, don't think I really need it for the daily commute, just sounds like fun :msn-wink: .

jrandom
1st August 2004, 14:59
I do clutchless upshifts on the FXR regularly. I just figure... why not? And there's nothing sounds better than someone riding past on a Proper Bike and doing a tidy clutchless upshift with the front wheel skimming a couple of inches above the tarmac.

Can't see any good reason not to use the clutch for downshifts, though.

BTW, in that thread they mention the Guzzi Cali engine needing 10000 miles or so to loosen up. That fits very well with comments made by a colleague who rides one; he's put about 8K on it so far and he's liking it more and more as the engine slowly wears the bad machining off into the sump...

Cajun
2nd August 2004, 10:14
i do clutchless shifting always when running hard, i have noticed on our 600 bandit no matter what you doing using clutch on upchanges isn't very nice.

downshift i always use the clutch

dangerous
2nd August 2004, 19:46
BTW, in that thread they mention the Guzzi Cali engine needing 10000 miles or so to loosen up. That fits very well with comments made by a colleague who rides one; he's put about 8K on it so far and he's liking it more and more as the engine slowly wears the bad machining off into the sump...

You'r onto it my 1100i sport dident start feeling right till after 40,000km and every k after that it still felt better/smother its now done over 80,000km and the straight cut gear box has fallin out :buggerd: (they are a week one with a 3 dog slecter set up)
As for bad machining falling off into the sump..... well thats why there is a gauze filter in the sump aswell as the screw in, never did check the gauze one.... to scared.
Guzzi use a Nigusil cylinder lining and they are good for 200,000km's :mellow:

Motu
2nd August 2004, 20:13
After riding my XS1 for more than an hour I've got no choice - I'm just too piss arse weak to pull in the clutch anymore.It hasn't even got a [starter[/I] ,I have to,y'know...kick it! Damn,those guys who rode motorcycles in the 70s must of been tough bastards,bet they were handsome too....and got all the chicks....were rich,could crash in jeans and a DJ without getting hurt,yeah,they were real men alright...