PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Headlight Protectors

Uncle B
1st August 2004, 10:42
On a ride (31/7) with a bunch of KBers....about 13 of us with Linda and her "accessories".
Out the back of Gladstone and beyond, Stonechucker (new member) saw a strait piece of road and went for it.....so I gave chase as you do!!.....both up over 200 (oops) when he ran through a rough patch and showered me with stones.
I immediately slowed down cause I got one on the knee and hand which hurt like hell....anyway I stopped to see if there was any damage and was amazed what had happened.
Headlight protector totally smashed, radiator nearly holed and various dings and chipped paint. :cry:
Hate to think of the cost of replacing a complete new headlight instead of just the $40.00 easy to install protector. Paint chips I can live with, that's just a fact of life...... now also thinking of a radiator guard as I would have been stuffed if that had gone.

Firefight
1st August 2004, 10:57
On a ride (31/7) with a bunch of KBers....about 13 of us with Linda and her "accessories".
Out the back of Gladstone and beyond, Stonechucker (new member) saw a strait piece of road and went for it.....so I gave chase as you do!!.....both up over 200 (oops) when he ran through a rough patch and showered me with stones.
I immediately slowed down cause I got one on the knee and hand which hurt like hell....anyway I stopped to see if there was any damage and was amazed what had happened.
Headlight protector totally smashed, radiator nearly holed and various dings and chipped paint. :cry:
Hate to think of the cost of replacing a complete new headlight instead of just the $40.00 easy to install protector. Paint chips I can live with, that's just a fact of life...... now also thinking of a radiator guard as I would have been stuffed if that had gone.

yeah, same here mate got a radiator guard on order, got a big hole a couple of weeks ago, passing a guy on a back road (sealed) but caught a few of his stones ., had to pull the hole dam :disapint: thing out to get it fixed.

F/F

Motu
1st August 2004, 11:07
Following sports bikes is bloody dangerous alright,their tyres kick up all sorts of shit off the road - you need roost protection.I'd like to repay the favour - but they are to scared to follow me on my roads!

wkid_one
1st August 2004, 11:58
I never bothered with a protector on the R1 - as, like the GSXR's, their headlights are 'supposed' to be impact resistant. If it fails - I would have taken it back to prove the point it wasn't.

Put a protector on the VTR - and then proceeded to have my visor cracked while following a friend riding with an RS2 rear that had a penchant for picking stones up and firing them out at a huge rate of knots.

Other than radiators and headlights - you should be equally concerned out fork staunchions - as chips here will shred your seals.

Also - take your front sprocket cover off now and then as you will be surprised how many stones find their way up in the area around your front sprocket.

MikeL
1st August 2004, 18:32
For the last 3 bikes I've had the first accessory I bought was a headlight protector. Very cheap insurance.

FROSTY
1st August 2004, 18:50
you know FF there might be a little sideline business in this radiator protector thing.
I had a good look at the radiator protector on Devils 250 and its isnt super complicated. It isn't simply a bit of mesh but I think I could build one for any sportsbike out there :2thumbsup

scumdog
1st August 2004, 19:54
Real motor-bikes don't HAVE radiators!!! :bleh:

Paul in NZ
2nd August 2004, 16:47

Thats wot i wus thinkin'.... Just another bleedin thing to go wrong... Same as them overhead cammy thingy ma jobbies. Camshafts should be located low down where nature intended them to be...

Besides, wiv the guzzi, if some miscreant on one of those steam roller sportybikes smashes your headlamp, you just find a rusty old Fiat 127 behind a hedge, give the guy $20 for his headlamp and away you go... (no shit, they are identical)

I lurve my Guzzi....

Paul N (hi tech to the max)

scumdog
2nd August 2004, 16:54
Argh-argh (Tim the Toolman noises here) a man after my own heart - if I wanted somethiing with four cylinfers an engine I couldn't see most of, a radiator, windscreen and ABS I would buy a cage :Pokey:

White trash
2nd August 2004, 17:10

Keep trolling tough guy! :eek:

FROSTY
2nd August 2004, 17:24
yea mate a "real " motorbike You can pull to bits with a hammer and a rusty pair of pliers. -a real motorbike is "tota;lly reliable"
A real motorbike leaves an oily calling card. -
Ohh yea those were the days down in pit,gettin up as you was just goin to bed.baths in the stream beside the house........

Ms Piggy
2nd August 2004, 17:27
Wow! I saw the light protector on Saturday (and your hand - ouch!) but isn't it amazing the damage to the radiator! :crazy:

Paul in NZ
2nd August 2004, 17:28
yea mate a "real " motorbike You can pull to bits with a hammer and a rusty pair of pliers. -a real motorbike is "tota;lly reliable"
A real motorbike leaves an oily calling card. -
Ohh yea those were the days down in pit,gettin up as you was just goin to bed.baths in the stream beside the house........

:Oi: Wadda ya mean WERE the days ya pansy....

Paul N

Mongoose
2nd August 2004, 19:47
:Oi: Wadda ya mean WERE the days ya pansy....

Paul N

Forgot to mention sleeping in cardboard box at roadside, had to be up early to let traffic move.
Found out about no headlight protector on the Cali, the model have has a real odd ball(Yeah, I know, matches the owner) headlght that can be replaced for a mere $380, to which i thru $75 on an aftermarket Jappa light.

scumdog
2nd August 2004, 20:01
Argh-argh (Tim the Toolman noises here) a man after my own heart - if I wanted somethiing with four cylinfers an engine I couldn't see most of, a radiator, windscreen and ABS I would buy a cage :Pokey:

Mind you I was gutted to find out my Sport is a "quad-cam" beastie, bloody rampant modern technology! -sneaks in all over the place! and don't talk to me about electronic ignition or speedos without a proper speedo cable (to disconnect as the need arises!) :wacko:

StoneChucker
4th December 2006, 21:44
I'd give absolutely anything to be able to stone your bike again...

WickedOne
4th December 2006, 21:52
Hang in there StoneChucker!!! :grouphug:

judecatmad
4th December 2006, 22:17
It breaks my heart to see anyone hurting this much :(

Be strong. We're all here for you. :grouphug:

crashe
4th December 2006, 22:23
stonechucker hang in there mate.
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Bend-it
5th December 2006, 08:28
Yeah, we share your pain Chuck... We'll ride together again with ole' Bruce someday...

MSTRS
5th December 2006, 08:31
His passing does not negate all the good advice he gave. Try to let go the anger, and begin to remember the fact that he was a friend to all. Stay strong mate, we still need you too, you know.

Macktheknife
5th December 2006, 09:16
Stay strong mate, we are all here to help, not as good maybe but just as willing. PM if you feel like talking about it.
Mack