PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NZ '07

hindsmk
21st January 2007, 11:21
Hi:

My wife found out that US doctors can work in NZ thru a gov't sponsored program and, to shorten a long story, we're planning to come later this year. I'll probably buy a bike there with hopes to resell when we leave.

I'd like to know if there are any problems in getting parts, service, etc in NZ for particular makes/models. I'll probably buy an older bike as I like to do my own work whenever possible and I'm cheap. Right now I have an 1982 BMW R100RS (runs like new) and a '75 Norton (runs when and how it wants to). I'm especially interested in learning what to stay away from. I'll need a bike capable of taking a smallish wife and a moderate amount of camping gear away for weekends.

Does anyone know about licensing? I visited Australia in 1990 and spent nearly a year riding around the entire continent on an FJ1200. The officials looked at the motorcycle endorsement on my US (Georgia) license and said I was good to go. Similarly, my liability insurance came with the license plate and I didn't have to buy anything extra; is that how it works in NZ as well?

Thanks for your help. I'll be asking more silly questions as time goes by...

Marshall

MSTRS
21st January 2007, 11:39
Hi there...Registration (licence plate, if you like) includes liability (what we call ACC) to persons. Insurance is a seperate issue - full cover for all vehicles involved in an accident OR 3rd party which only covers the other vehicles involved (if accident is your fault). Note - all insurances have an excess applied where the insured has to pay the first xxx$ of each and every claim.

DemonWolf
21st January 2007, 11:41
Gidday hinsmk.. and welcome to KB.. and New Zealand soon!

riffer
21st January 2007, 11:52
Welcome to the site hindsmk.

More doctors in this country will always be welcomed. If your wife is a GP you will find a wealth of smaller towns dying to have her move there. If you can handle having to commute on open roads (damn shame that - NOT) and she can candle the hard work country GPs have to do you will have a great time here.

merv
21st January 2007, 11:53
Like when you travel most places your licence should be good for up to a year in our foreign land. How long you planning on staying?

Quartermile
21st January 2007, 14:17
Welcome to the site

Colapop
21st January 2007, 14:27
Prepare yourself for a different way of life. No, not like Alabama. The roads here have bent bits in them we call 'corners' and you'll have to learn about NZ beer. Apart from that it's not too bad.

Look forward to having you here and welcome to the site. I can't give you any useful help about the bike/s apart from saying that I've never had a problem buying bits. The post gets to here as well as anywhere and we do have the internet. Lots of people (even from here!) buy stuff off the net....

Macktheknife
21st January 2007, 14:35
G'day to both of you and welcome to KB, and shortly to NZ. I have never had a problem getting parts for anything I have ridden, but I guess it depends a little on what you want to ride and where.
If you can give us some clues as to what kind of thing you had in mind we (many knowledgeable folk here) can help you locate some bikes and probably provide some info on parts and points of interest.
We can definitely provide info on areas and routes that you might enjoy.
Good luck

SDU
22nd January 2007, 10:59
Welcome to kb. I hope your planning goes smoothly for your move.
What part of NZ do you think you will move to? Dr's are needed everywhere!

Fatjim
22nd January 2007, 11:35
Your not Muslims are you?

gijoe1313
22nd January 2007, 12:44
Sweet as, nice to hear you're so positive about moving halfway around the world to a place which required Shrek the sheep to put it on the map! Plenty of friendly people here, just try to stay away from the overly friendly ones like...Colapop! :devil2:

Looking forward to reading your posts from a different perspective!

heyjoe
22nd January 2007, 13:28
Welcome to New Zealand. You will find all sorts of characters here on this forum and that is what makes it what it is. Have fun on here and hope your journey over is a safe one.

And yes we do need more doctors here. Especially in the rural towns. They are fairly desperate in some places.

mstriumph
22nd January 2007, 13:39
West Australia needs more doctors too ................ :innocent: and WE won't make fun of your accent!!

Edbear
22nd January 2007, 13:57
West Australia needs more doctors too ................ :innocent: and WE won't make fun of your accent!!

Bet you do!:yes:

Welcome to KB! NZ is a country of petrolheads. Bikes, cars, planes, boats - if it's got an engine, we're into it! You'll be amazed at the variety and availability of all makes and most models here! Generally parts and service are good, as Kiwi mechanics are experienced "fixers", not just "parts fitters". Be it modern, classic, vintage or veteran, someone, and probably lots of people, will know where to source parts, (someone will have a garage full, somewhere!), and who best fixes it!

There are bike clubs galore and Internet dealings are a normal practice.

Yep! We NEED lots of Doctors and Nurses and Ambo's and the Govt has special incentive packages for those who will work in more rural areas which have difficulty finding resident Drs. and especially Locums.

Flyingpony
22nd January 2007, 14:27
My wife found out that US doctors can work in NZ thru a gov't sponsored program and, to shorten a long story, ...
Not wanting to burst your bubble, but,,,

Be prepared to be placed in a small towns such as Reefton, Westport, etc, populations of less than 4000, and they are miles from the big cities. I doubt they'll put you in a city like Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, or Christchurch. It's the small towns which are in desperate need of doctors so that's quite likely where you'll be positioned. You'll also be expected to be on 24hr/7 day call, no extra pay, since after all, you're the sole doctor for miles.

Welcome aboard to Kiwibiker.

Swoop
22nd January 2007, 16:39
You will love it here!

If you like working on bikes then prepare to work!

Look forward to seeing you here ASAP!!!

jrandom
22nd January 2007, 16:44
Be prepared to be placed in a small towns... Westport... I doubt they'll put you in a city like Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, or Christchurch.

Sounds great to me. I'd happily saw off my right pinky finger in exchange for the ability to earn a decent living in a small town.

mstriumph
22nd January 2007, 18:08
Sounds great to me. I'd happily saw off my right pinky finger in exchange for the ability to earn a decent living in a small town.

West Australia needs more lost, violent souls -- there's an election coming up soon ...............:innocent:

Beemer
24th January 2007, 13:17
Hi:I'd like to know if there are any problems in getting parts, service, etc in NZ for particular makes/models. I'll probably buy an older bike as I like to do my own work whenever possible and I'm cheap. Right now I have an 1982 BMW R100RS (runs like new) and a '75 Norton (runs when and how it wants to). Marshall

Hi Marshall, my husband has a BMW R100RS too - think his is 1983 or 1984 so it should be similar to yours. His is also in excellent condition and he gets it serviced (the bits he can't do himself) at Motorad (Wellington) with Michael Dobson. He has always been very happy with the work Michael has done and says he really knows the bike as (I think) he has one himself.

They are ALWAYS seeking good doctors in Levin - it's not a bad place, 110kms from Wellington and 50kms from Palmerston North. Good climate, good schools (so we've heard, we don't have kids), surrounded by market gardens so good veges too.

jrandom
24th January 2007, 13:24
West Australia needs more lost, violent souls...

I should have qualified that statement.

I'd happily saw off my right pinky finger in exchange for the ability to earn a decent living in a small town in New Zealand.

Not that Australia's that bad, really. It's just full of Australians.

Anyway, I'm not really a lost, violent soul. I am, in fact, a hollow man, a stuffed man.

mstriumph
24th January 2007, 13:31
............Not that Australia's that bad, really. It's just full of Australians.

my sentiments perZACTly ... *sigh*