PDA

View Full Version : zzr400 air intakes

alexmat
1st August 2004, 11:27
Hey, would you guys please give me some advice? I saw this guy taking off his air intake or air cleaner, ( :o not good with terms here) off his bike and fitting 4 of those cone air filters straight on. Does it increase the bike preformance? If so whats the goods and the bads, thanks alot

FROSTY
1st August 2004, 14:26
the idea is to increase the air into the carbs.Without a huge speil it is soposed to increase performance.
Trouble is you also need to rejet the carbs to suit and personally I couldnt be arsed with going to all that trouble unless I was consistantly finding the limits of the bike.

geoffm
2nd August 2004, 22:01
Hey, would you guys please give me some advice? I saw this guy taking off his air intake or air cleaner, ( :o not good with terms here) off his bike and fitting 4 of those cone air filters straight on. Does it increase the bike preformance? If so whats the goods and the bads, thanks alot
The answer is a definite "maybe". In the Good Old Days, it was a shore fire thing, as the naff airboxes on the 70s vintage nails choked hell out of the airflow, so free flowing filters were the bollocks
From (say) the mid eightys on, they generally screw your jetting and power delviery up something terrible, and lose power. The airbox provides still air and resonance tuning for the carbs, giving the right mixture and carb signal. Even changing the filter may do things - R1s lose power with K&N drop in filters...
Even if you get more top end, you tend to lose midrange. Exception that i know of - RG500/ 400s with the Rick Lance or Mark Dent filter kits, but these are a special case due to the Heath Robinson inlet plumbing on them.
Yam RDs need the filters spacing back 1" to avoid a monster midrange flat and lean spot due to reversion of the sound waves.
Almost always need bigger main jets, due to the lower vacuum making it harder to suck the gas up out of the bowls. May also need needles and pilot jets playing with as well.
Geoff