PDA

View Full Version : Pukie Track day 21/01/07 - what a day!

Donor
22nd January 2007, 09:56
Well, after picking up Lukas at 7am yesterday, we pootled out to Pukekohe track for the Great Track Day.

Got there to find Steve the honcho from www.kiwitrackdays.co.nz buzzing round like the proverbial blue arsed fly, setting everything up and generally looking cool in the face of impending mayhem.

After realising that I had read the times wrong, and that the riding wasn't actually starting til 10:30am Lukas and I set Daisy and his new shiny Bandit up in a prominent position, so as to let people admire them as they arrived. (Truth be known, we couldn't find anywhere to hide them...)

Before too long, the hoardes began descending upon the track, and it was then that I realised how bloody addictive this biking business is. I was drooling over EVERYTHING, yes, even the Hondas!

Helped a bloody nice guy unload his Guzzi, drooled over a shiny Ducati, bowed before the might and power of a certain 'busa... the list goes on and on...

**FACT** One can never run out of drool it seems - I tried!

Caught up with the esteemed Toymachine on his Bandit 'o sexiness, and admired his lesser shiny markings from a previous attempt at braking using the side of the bike instead of brakes.

Got given no end of shit from Hellraiser for being a complete wimp, and not wanting to put Daisy round the track.

Was mildly humbled by M1cro for his open and frank admission that yes, he was being soft on the track, due to the front of the 'busa not really wanting to stay associated with traction.

...aaaaand watched a lot of classy bikes (including a Yamaha TZ350 that went like a cut cat!) doing lap after lap after lap... oh how I grew so bloody jealous yesterday!

Lunchtime, and me and the boy shot through to Puke township for a scoff of Puke's finest bakery fare. Almost taken out at the end of Manukau Rd by the roundabout by a track rider who changed lanes a little quickly without realising his mirrors were still taped up. Fortunately, I had presence of mind to know I was in a blind spot and kept a distance, so after a frantic apology and me pissing meself laughing, all was good, and I had me pie and sossie roll in a bag hanging off my handlebars.

Got back, ate, and reveled in the noise once again, then noticed the St John guy walking up to me. I've known him for a number of years as I too am a VAO with St John. I knew I was in the shit.

Sure enough, 5 minutes later Lukas and I are in the safety car headed to the hairpin with a radio and a bottle of water, seems there had been a few runoffs and marshal of said hairpin had done a runner to watch overpowered cages whine round and round Taupo circuit.

It's quite boring marshaling on the hairpin you know. We invented games like "Toss the exhaust mount rubber into the marshal point" and "Lob the stone at the piece of broken headlight" ... all very exciting you know...

I must be a good luck charm, apart from one rider deciding to go on a very straight line through the hairpin into the dirt and having to push his bike out, and another fellow running out of liquid go fast, not a lot happened. (I won the games though, go me!)

Kudos to Lukas though, he walked back to the pits TWICE and brought our bikes to the hairpin via the infield. Then we sat on them making broom broom noises, and pretending we were joining in... it wasn't very convincing...

In all, a bloody good day. I met some top people including Steve (who offered us a few flying laps for helping out, but we had to decline as we hadn't signed the indemnity), and a shit load of KBers, M1cro, Hellraiser, Zeocen, and several others whose names elude my fragile memory for now.

Anyway, enough crap form me, let's hear from the blokes that did the hard work, and taught the track a lesson!

Cheers all, ride safe.

zeocen
22nd January 2007, 10:13
Was great to meet you too Donor, I'm fairly shy but you made me feel pretty at home around all the intimidating bikes :)

And I'm still sticking to the tiger story! That's really what happened damnit!

I didn't stay for long but had a blast watching people command such machines around the track and just a general good attitude from everyone who was there, methinks once I step into my full license and get a bike that can beat a turtle I may just have to give it a go myself!

Big respect to the organisers and helpers all over, it all seemed to go very smoothly!

Donor
22nd January 2007, 10:55
methinks once I step into my full license and get a bike that can beat a turtle I may just have to give it a go myself!

Why wait?

Next track day at Puke, I'm planning on being out on the track - whether it be on Daisy, a new toy, with learners, restricted... it's not about the speed, it's about how YOU feel riding round the track.

Most of the slow group weren't too much over road speeds!

So, I'll put you down as a starter for Team N00b then? Good boy... :D

Donor
22nd January 2007, 11:31
A few pics... Toymachine on the grid for his first session, looking cool...

A certain biker, laxing out after a hard sessions riding... *cough*

madandy
22nd January 2007, 12:24
A good read, Donor. Good on you man for staying all day and maning the tower! People like you deserve a bow for watching out for other's interests.
I did a couple of track days on my last bike, a YZF600...what a brilliant experience!!!!
You're right to be so keen to get out there next time!
And yeah, with speed/experience related groups you really can give it a go on anything and build on your skills in a safe, comfortable environment :niceone:

Donor
22nd January 2007, 16:12
A good read, Donor. Good on you man for staying all day and maning the tower! People like you deserve a bow for watching out for other's interests.
I did a couple of track days on my last bike, a YZF600...what a brilliant experience!!!!
You're right to be so keen to get out there next time!
And yeah, with speed/experience related groups you really can give it a go on anything and build on your skills in a safe, comfortable environment :niceone:

Cheers!

Nowt like a good strop to clear the cobwebs, tune the carbs, and generally burn off the accumulated testosterone! :D

Hellraiser
22nd January 2007, 16:34
This was the first TD for me on a bike anyway, and i would have to say its not going to be my last.

When i booked the day i was unsure which group i should be riding in and right up to the point of signing my life away i was still in 2 minds about it, so as all good wimps do i decided to ride in the scenic group, which turned out to be the wrong choice.

We were the last group to go out in the first session and while i was sitting on the dummy grid looking at all the litre bikes around me i was getting more & more nervous by the minute, it had been well over 6 months since my ZX6 had been out of the garage but it didn't take me long to get use to her again. We had to follow a lead rider for the first 2 laps which was good cause it showed me the lines that i should be taking and before long i was getting the hang of it again.

As the day went on and i got comfortable with the bike i got faster and faster, In the first session i was only doing 200km/h down the back straight and about 150 km/h down the front straight by the end of the day i was doing 260km/h down the back straight and 198km/h down the front, at the start of the day i was coming around the corner on to the back straight at 80km/h compared to 110km/h in the final session.

All in all it was a great day well organised and i got to meet a lot of people.

Things that i have learnt:

Don't be a pussy and ride in the medium group as it get boaring laping the field.

Release the throttle when breaking into the hair pin it helps you slow down faster and stops your arse puckering.

Track Days are fun.

And finally

1000cc VTwins are slower than a 600cc Inline 4

Can't wait till the next one.

Leong
22nd January 2007, 17:35
.......release the throttle when breaking into the hair pin it helps you slow down faster and stops your arse puckering.

Yeah, I've done that a few times too... not good eh!

Glad you had a good time, John. Tracks days ARE fun, (and terribly addictive!!!)

Prof - R
22nd January 2007, 18:13
hey donor

thanks for been at the hair pin ... the day was really good enjoyed it be good to see you out on the track next time too, just to let you know that my break down in the last session was not because of gas as i thought (had someone waiting with more gas in the pits) the battery had gone flat .... now just waiting for the next one:Punk:

zeocen
22nd January 2007, 18:25
Why wait?

Next track day at Puke, I'm planning on being out on the track - whether it be on Daisy, a new toy, with learners, restricted... it's not about the speed, it's about how YOU feel riding round the track.

Most of the slow group weren't too much over road speeds!

So, I'll put you down as a starter for Team N00b then? Good boy... :D

It's more of a concern about destroying my only mode of transportation, I'd rather put something that can take a beating on the track than my current one :P

To be honest just hanging about around all the bikes and watching the pro's speed past was enough to warrent an enjoyable day for me!

Donor
22nd January 2007, 18:42
hey donor

thanks for been at the hair pin ... the day was really good enjoyed it be good to see you out on the track next time too, just to let you know that my break down in the last session was not because of gas as i thought (had someone waiting with more gas in the pits) the battery had gone flat .... now just waiting for the next one:Punk:

Hey man, no worries!

Sorry about the forced ride on the back of the Gary-mobile, they made me do it, I swear!

Glad the beast will be up and gagging for the next trip out. :scooter:

Donor
22nd January 2007, 18:44
It's more of a concern about destroying my only mode of transportation, I'd rather put something that can take a beating on the track than my current one :P

To be honest just hanging about around all the bikes and watching the pro's speed past was enough to warrent an enjoyable day for me!

Meh, that's the joy of a track day though, you start off pootling at speeds you are familiar and comfortable with. Then once you have found your groove, and learned the lines, you can take it up a half a notch every now and then until you reach your comfort level, and just enjoy not worrying about those damnable disco lights roaring up behind you! :Police:

HDTboy
24th January 2007, 17:56
Did you get any photos of me at the hairpin (blue and white GSX-R)? Steve seemed to think I was looking good coming in there. Hope to see you out on the track next time

M1CRO
24th January 2007, 20:42
Was mildly humbled by M1cro for his open and frank admission that yes, he was being soft on the track, due to the front of the 'busa not really wanting to stay associated with traction.
Maybe you could convince the organiser (Steve) to have a pillion session.. AND maybe you could volunteer to prove to him that its safe because it would greatly assist in the Busa's stability :yes:

Was great to see ya, and as mentioned in other threads, it was a great day! I certainly learnt alot :done:

M1CRO
24th January 2007, 20:50
A certain biker, laxing out after a hard sessions riding... *cough*
Yes, looks very relaxed imho lol :innocent:

boomer
24th January 2007, 20:51
Yes, looks very relaxed imho lol :innocent:

As if you don't get enough rest when riding that couch :whistle:

M1CRO
24th January 2007, 20:59
As if you don't get enough rest when riding that couch :whistle:Is that a hint of jealousy? Are you really wanting to be on the couch with me? Or is it that the front wheel gets higher than yours :innocent:

boomer
24th January 2007, 21:13
Is that a hint of jealousy? Are you really wanting to be on the couch with me? Or is it that the front wheel gets higher than yours :innocent:

The latter is true, however you and teh bike are all TOO much for this little white boy ;)