PDA

View Full Version : MI2 trick

Marmoot
5th June 2003, 16:14
Who thinks that the notorious Mission Impossible 2 stunt (the 180 degree turn while doing stoppie) is possible without any camera trickeries? :)

wkid_one
5th June 2003, 16:43
I am sure I have seen something similar to it been done on a stunt video.  Trials riders complete similar moves to this all the time in pursuit of the perfect run.

I love that movie and they way he goes from road to dirt and mirraculously the tyres change from road tires to enduro without even stopping.  And the way he can slide the bike under the truck and still change gears after it.

It is like those car chase movies where they seem to have mobile panel beaters fixing the damage before the car comes to a stop at its destination and is as pristine as it was when it left.

It is also like the way in the movies - computers take 2 secs to boot up - and every thing only takes like 2 key presses to do? 

Antallica
5th June 2003, 17:26
I've seen something damn similar but not on a road bike I think.

I was asked that same question the other week.... ;)

NhuanH
5th June 2003, 17:47
Hell, he can ride that speed triple through a just-exploded car to a hard rock soundtrack!  That fool must be able to do anything.

I don't think it is quite a 180 degree pivot during the stoppie, but he gets bonus difficulty points for shooting his pistol while pivoting the bike, hitting the fuel tank with a few precise shots, with the force from the explosion flipping the poor old Falcon (often maligned car).

I like the age long burnie though, along with surviving a shunt from a Stupidly Useless Vehicle (SUV).  Dainese shoulda got a product placement deal on his boots, for them to survive a high speed slide-alongside-the-bike effort.  The magic tyre change to knobblies has already received an honourable mention.

Ahh, the magic of Hollywood eh?  Don't get me wrong though, it was another Cruise 'vehicle' (Top Gun) that partially contributed to getting me on 2 wheels - go the GPz900!  And 'Highway to the Danger Zone' - that fuels me in my head when I'm riding.  Sad but true

:D

SPman
5th June 2003, 20:29
180 deg.rotations on stoppies - can be done. You've just got to be f**king good at it! I've seen  about 150 deg stoppies. :niceone:

Marmoot
5th June 2003, 22:31
I have a video from the internet on this one crazy yankee on a GSXR750 (I think) doing 180 stoppie.
I didn't believe it was possible at first, but he did it a few times as well (with only one perfect).

Those who'd like to see it, message me.

It's rather big, I'm affraid. Around 1-2 MB

Marmoot
5th June 2003, 22:37
or you can see it from here:

http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000089/

Coldkiwi
6th June 2003, 12:41
last issue I got of Australian Motorcycle has a picture of AC Farias pulling a BIG stopped stoppie right infront of a chick. Because he's got a half face helmet on he actually gives her a kiss (it looks pretty delicate too!) while he's hanging up there.

I dunno if Tom can do 180 stoppies but I doubt it would be past mr Farias if he has that much precision! I can't think of any reason you couldn't do it (other than the obvious skill limitation)

But hey.. Charlie Sheen had good bike stunting skills in Hot Shots too right? :)

Antallica
6th June 2003, 13:22
I got the vid... I wouldn't say it's complete 180* but still damn mean... his balance is excellent!

Damn! :D

NhuanH
6th June 2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
But hey.. Charlie Sheen had good bike stunting skills in Hot Shots too right? :)

Yup, but only in homage to the original, Top Gun.  Can ya tell yet how highly I consider this contribution to thespian history?:D

Hoon
6th June 2003, 18:19
Here is the best example of a 180 Stoppie I can find in my collection done by a D-Aces guy who stunts on a TL1000s.

http://202.27.76.118/test/d-aces001.wmv

750Y
9th June 2003, 10:36
Top Gun eh?
ahhh... but Nhuanh, Can You roll Your pen over Your knuckles like the ice-man? that was real cool, I practised it for days(pathetic eh?) I love that dangerzone song, a real 'energizer'. only problem is when I sing songs while riding i have to keep stopping to wipe the spit off the inside of my visor 8-).
anyways.180 deg stoppies are often done by USA stunters. Those guys are a different breed.

Mitch
9th June 2003, 11:08
180 degree stoppie is definately possible!!!! BUT in MI2 (If my memorie serves me correctly) half way through Cruise removes his right hand and swings a gun around.  I don't think even the great AC Farias could pull that one off without his front brake on.  :o  

Coldkiwi
9th June 2003, 13:15
ahhh... well spotted! it wasn't his left hand was it?

that would be pretty tricky!.. unless the terrorists had a thing for reversing clutch and brake levers on their machines?