PDA

View Full Version : Traveling long distance - what must I check?

caesius
22nd January 2007, 16:55
I've semi-decided to take my bike with me to Wellington (4hrs away) next month, I'll be coming back for the first couple of weekends too, so thats almost 1000km+ of traveling on my little 250 2-stroke in a month!

I'm wondering what are the vital things I need to make sure are in working order so that I don't konk out in the middle of nowhere halfway between home and Wellys!

I've already thought of -
1. Chain (good cond.)
2. Rear sprocket (teeth all good)
3. Oil levels (no-brainer)

What else should I be thinking about?

Thanks all.

The Pastor
22nd January 2007, 16:57
getting your licence susspended for 40 over the limit 500k's from home.

caesius
22nd January 2007, 17:18
getting your licence susspended for 40 over the limit 500k's from home.

Thanks. That's one I had mentally factored in also.

beyond
22nd January 2007, 22:00
Always Tyre Pressure mate :)

Never forget those tyre pressure checks. I make a habit at least once a week or before every longish ride.

nodrog
22nd January 2007, 22:06
...What else should I be thinking about?

if you can peddle a "Diamond Back Mountain Bike" that far.

Ixion
22nd January 2007, 22:21
Uh, this isn't the KR1-S we're talking about is it?

caesius
22nd January 2007, 22:31
Uh, this isn't the KR1-S we're talking about is it?

LOL yup it is.

Big Dog
22nd January 2007, 23:13
Too tired to type it all again.
The following was posted at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41504.
There are some other common sense tips there too.
================================================== =======
If your going to book a rookie ride that far I suggest you also orgainise some beds in advance that anyone who finds it too far when it is too late to turn back has some where to stay.

Many has been the ride where I felt fresh at one stop then deathly at the next. There has also been many a day that I pushed on because of expectation then made really dumb decisions.

Those days are fewer as I age because I care less what others think but you kind of have to kill a few KM's before you know the difference between pushing a bit and taking a risk.

I will not be able to make it due to my next exam being scheduled for that day.

A longer ride is a great idea for learning what works, just take care to provide for those not as fit as they think.

Anyone in Tauranga able to offer a bed / floor / couch if needed?

Tips for those who have never ridden that far.
- If you don't normally ride with a pack rack get some kms down before you load one.
- Keep as little weight as possible on your back.
- Bungy your back pack to your pillion seat if you can.
- Take a hot drink if you will be out after dark, the heat and sugar help a lot in the sudden drop of temp.
- Start out taking a break every 45 mins and stretch that out by 10 mins at a time until you find your fitness.
- Fill up at your first stop / the start.
- Fill up 10% earlier than you think you need to, out of Auckland many gas stations close at odd hours some as early as 4:30.
- Stretch at the beginning and at every stop.
- Take on water and low GI food at every stop ( a mouth full of food eg 1/4 of an apple, and at least 250ml of water.)
- Adjust all your controls that bug you before you leave, if it is annoying on a short trip it is a pain in the **** at long distance.
- Get a good nights sleep - lay off the alcohol and caffeine.
- Earplugs - best 50c you will spend on a long trip.

Before you leave, have you got / done:
- Enough gas money? More than you think you need?
- Numbers to call if you get laid over for the night?
- More water than you think you can drink or the means to buy more?
- WOF and REG?
- A bike likely to last the distance?
- The tool kit that came with the bike or similar?
- Checked your cold tyre pressure within 24 hours of departure?
- Checked your fluids?
- Battery in good order?
- Bulbs all going?
- Someone who knows where you are going and when you are likely to get back?
- Your drivers license?

Think this is too much, perhaps it is. Most of us can counter for one less than perfect situation for 250kms, but no one wants to.

If the objective is to learn from your ride team up with someone of similar skill and someone of higher skill and debrief after each stage.