PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Butt 1,000km adventure ride

Pages : [1] 2

cooneyr
23rd January 2007, 09:10
There was some talk of people being keen on having ago at a 1000km in 24 hr adventure ride a little while ago. It would most likely be as much good gravel road as possible and sealed road to make up the difference. It has been suggested that we should do a 1000 miler but I suspect that 1000km in a day would be a good start?

The route discussion focused around the Rainbow and Molesworth with some other bits around Malbrough and Tasman districts. There is potential for about 500-600kms of gravel. I reckon there would also be fuel about every 150-200kms.

I think if we are going to do this, it should be before daylight savings ends on the 18th of March. I also think it would be nicer in early March cause the weather would be cooler i.e. 4th/5th or 11th/12th.

Are people still interested in having ago? What dates suit best? Any ideas on a route?

Cheers
R

PLUG
23rd January 2007, 15:02
Are people still interested in having ago? What dates suit best? Any ideas on a route?

Cheers
R

I'm keen, either weekend would suit. (3-4 or 10-11 of March)

A route ??? ... Nelson (dawn start ???) - Maungatapu - Queen Charlotte - (Picton/Port Underwood/Rarangi may be) or stright to Blenheim after Queen Charlotte & Taylors Pass.

Molesworth - Hanmer - Rainbow - St Arnard - Porika Track - Breaburn - Murchison - Matakitaki - Maruia Saddle - may be Springs Junction or hang a ueee after Maruia saddle & reverse track back to St Arnard & black top to Nelson.

That should be around the 1000K mark & there is gas at regular intervals.

Thats my 10 cents worth to the idea ... so far

cooneyr
24th January 2007, 12:36
Right you are with the dates. Lets make it Saturday the 10th unless some "major conflict" with other event as March Hare on the 3/4th.

I've refined Plugs route a little. Doesn't appear to be quite long enough measuring from topomap. Attached is an image of the route and and my calcs of distances (including fuel intervals) and times. I've allowed a 10 min break about every 100km.

Few points about the route
1 - Uses the Matakitaki West Bank road from Murcheson
2 - Uses the West Bank Road between Maruia and Springs Junction
3 - Uses the Tadmore Glenhope Dry weather road and Sherry River Road on way to Tapawera.
4 - Uses the Motueka River West Bank Road between Tapawera and Mt Arthur/Riwaka.
5 - Goes up to Mt Arthur carpark as should be good views at that time of day and should be interesting ride.
6 - Uses the Waiwhero Road and Thorpe Orinco Road between Motueka and Thorpe.
7 - Uses the Wakefield Woodstock Road between Thorpe and Wakefield.

All up I recon around 15 hour trip, leave at 6 back at 9 and daylight is roughly 7 to 8 at that time of year so first hour and last hour in dark. About 550km of gravel/dirt in route. Generally interval between fuel about 200km.

Cheers R

XP@
24th January 2007, 15:03
Hmmm... I was thinking about thinking about riding it, next year perhaps but I'm out of gravel practice at the moment. Would be an awsome hardcore ride!

What ever the case, From the Rusty Nuts 1000 milers,
a 19 hour run will see you total average of about 85km/h (including short stops)
or 95km/h moving average with 2 hours stopped (6 mins stopped per hour).

Whilst it is possible to go faster on an adventure bike this kind of pace is not easy to keep up. In reality it translates to riding at a minimum of speedlimit +10kmph through busy areas and "keeping the pressure on" for the rest.

450km of sealed roads @ 83kph = 5.5 hours
550km of gravel roads @ 60kph = 9.5 hours

I'm a tad out of practice on gravel, so I think 60km/h average would be a tad optimistic for me.

Ruralman
24th January 2007, 15:42
I think you've got a great idea here and you should keep developing it. As you will be aware a group of us are doing the Sth Island Passes trip in early Feb which will cover about 2500km with much of this on gravel backroads - but we are taking 5 days and we reckon that will still require pushing on to achieve. That does mean I won't be a starter this year but definitely interested if you/we can make it an annual event.
Strikes me it could be the sort of thing best done by a club? (as per Chatto Creek club and the 1000 miler) so that you have a team helping and can organise badges etc. Is there an existing bike club up there that might be interested?
Anyway good luck with your first ride.

cooneyr
24th January 2007, 16:00
450km of sealed roads @ 83kph = 5.5 hours
550km of gravel roads @ 60kph = 9.5 hours

This is a useful and interesting way of looking at it. There are not a whole heap of townships along the sealed sections and from riding some of the knarlier bits already I think the 83kph average on seal should be "doable" but open to advise. As for the 60kph average on gravel that is hard to day one way or the other. The Rainbow and Molesworth road have long sections where 100kph is not a problem. The likes of the Porika track is a first gear (30-40kph) steep climb for about 1/4 of it. All up I have no idea if 60kph is achievable or not.

Either way I don't think it is really a problem as we still have 9 hours out of 24 so even if really slow in the dark ???? Guess one way to find out!

That does mean I won't be a starter this year but definitely interested if you/we can make it an annual event.
Strikes me it could be the sort of thing best done by a club? (as per Chatto Creek club and the 1000 miler) so that you have a team helping and can organise badges etc. Is there an existing bike club up there that might be interested?
Anyway good luck with your first ride.

I'm personally keen just to have ago first time round. If there is enough interest then maybe we could get a club to pick up and organise annually. I dont need a badge to say I'm a stupid bugger for trying to do this type of ride! LOL

Cheers R

warewolf
24th January 2007, 17:12
An official club run is a neat addition but can't think of any club that would be interested.

3rd-4th no good for me, 10th-11th is my only free weekend for about 2 months!

If you are worried about time and the focus is gravel, then I would go Pelorus to Blenheim on SH6, forget about Queen Charlotte Drive; it will kill your average speed. Plus, you have to go to Picton which is the long way round. Instead take the partly gravel road on the north side of the Wairau that cuts across to Tuamarina.

If dead-ends are acceptable (looks like it) then you can add a lot more gravel. For example, from Owen River there is the East Bank Road; from Tuamarina (using the route I suggested above) you could scoot up the coast on the gravel as far as the seal which starts when the road leaves the coast to go over the hill to Waikawa (pretty crappy bit of road, IIRC); rather than go in to Murch, head south on the Matakitaki(?) Road (would be great to join that to the Mariua Saddle road).

Watch your estimates on the Rainbow & Molesworth roads. There's actually not that much that you can do at 100km/h (i.e. out of 160km, there's a helluva lot more that is slow). With a pillion I was doing 60km/h for about half the Rainbow due to surface conditions, and there's only a few shortish bits on the Molesworth where you could really wind it up. Speeds solo are much better, but given the wide range of abilities of the group I wouldn't plan for much above 50-60km/h average (thus allowing for stops). Molesworth closes 7pm to 7am so allow that in the plan.

Getting behind schedule is more stressful than getting ahead.

I'm all for it!! :Punk:

Transalper
24th January 2007, 18:32
I'm in while it's a trip between friends... if it was a club affair then i'd be less inclined to go.
Any date suits, i'd do this over the March Hare or such events anyday.
Avoiding Queen Charlotte would be good, as for me it be a long slowish ride on a tight SEALED road that i do not enjoy if rushed. On a scenic ride the road is nice, but this ain't going to be a look at the trees and things ride.

Zukin
24th January 2007, 20:07
I am probably a starter:yes:
If I finish my trip around NZ in Feb, and if I have any funds left:shit:
I would need to do a bit of a rebuild though.

I will do it on a 250, so theres the challenge lads:laugh:

Like the others have said I would prefer it not to be run by club.
Could it start in Belnheim?
Just means less travelling for me?
I wont have any more leave left to take any more time off work:gob:

Cheers

Ghost Lemur
24th January 2007, 20:11
Unfortunately I doubt the CRM will be back together by then, so I'm not going to be a show this year. Hope it works well, I'll certainly be following this thread to see how it goes. I'll be in next year.

Zukin
24th January 2007, 20:16
I forgot to add to my earlier post

That...

I am not sure about dead end roads??
Knowing there would be other mad riders on the road, would it be a recipe for disaster.....??

Just a thought

cooneyr
24th January 2007, 20:31
Seems we are generally not inclined to involve a club so I think that is out. Also seems that 10th/11th is preferred at this stage.

Re Grove Track - I hear the comments about not being a nice road for this type of trip. I would tend to say the same about the Port underwood road (I assume this is what you are referring to WW?). It is so tight that you would spend most of the time looking out for vehicles coming the other way. Therefore I'll revise the route to be Havelock to Blenhiem using SH6 and the the Tuamarina Road.

I'd agree with the Rainbow Road at 60kph with a pillion but I was managing about 80kph+++ in mid Jan from the Lake Sedgemere huts to Jack pass solo although there was the odd "bump". I might be a little optimistic with the speeds through the Molesworth and Rainbow so I'll revise tomorrow and see what it does to total time.

Starting in NN means that the hour that we go through the Molesworth and Rainbow is fine (see the bold times in the right hand column). The other benefit of starting in NN is there are beds for the Friday and Sat nights and more convenient for most I think than Blenhiem.

Plug and I check out the a bit of the link between the Tutaki and Matakitaki rivers during out 3 day Buller Ride. It is defiantly "doable" according to the cocky but we didnt manage to complete it due to being naffed and the depth and speed of the Matakitaki river. I think best leave that alone for the Dust Butt.

Zukin has a good point about dead end roads. Maybe we should leave them alone too. I think that takes out the Mt Arthur leg and maybe we should revise the route so it runs back up SH6 from Springs. I dont really like the Springs leg as it feels like a km grabbing trip rather than part of the route. Will have to think more about that.

I wouldnt worry about the 250 Zukin. I bet by the time you have done the round NZ thing you'll be cranking.

Will look more and the route and post again later. Thanks all for the helpful comments.

Cheers R

miSTa
24th January 2007, 21:01
Sounds a very interesting ride, put me down for a maybe (I need to get get the seat on the GS sorted, it quite literally is a pain in the arse...and the hamstring, and the knee..for any long distance riding). If so it could be two up.

warewolf
24th January 2007, 22:23
I'm in while it's a trip between friends... if it was a club affair then i'd be less inclined to go.Makes absolutely no difference to me, why does it to you? (I'm curious)

Avoiding Queen Charlotte would be good as for me it be a long slowish ride on a tight SEALED road that i do not enjoy if rushed. On a scenic ride the road is nice, but this ain't going to be a look at the trees and things ride.Eh? Of course it is. You shouldn't be rushed: it is an endurance event, not a sprint...you have to ride at a sustainable pace, which means time to look around. These rides are about FUN which is why we ride in the first place.

The trick is to minimise the time off the bike and maximise the rests (i.e. frequent shorter stops) to keep your average up...not pushing it. If you are going hard enough not to enjoy the ride, you're in crash territory, either now or at km 999 when you've run out of energy or concentration.

I would need to do a bit of a rebuild though.Why, how many tens of thousands of kays are you going to rack up around NZ in a short space of time? The DR-Z will do 40-60,000km before it needs anything other than routine servicing.

I will do it on a 250, so theres the challenge lads:laugh: Good on you! :yes: Doing the 1000 miler on mine was something I really wished that I'd done.

I am not sure about dead end roads??
Knowing there would be other mad riders on the road, would it be a recipe for disaster.....??Shouldn't be, it will not be a closed course, you will at all times have to be prepared for an errant 4wd violating your right of way, as you normally do. Rusty Nuts regularly use return sections (one year was almost all returns, out and back from Turangi 5 times, that really mind-fucked a few people into withdrawing), it's never a problem.

Re Grove Track - I hear the comments about not being a nice road for this type of trip. I would tend to say the same about the Port underwood road (I assume this is what you are referring to WW?). It is so tight that you would spend most of the time looking out for vehicles coming the other way.The Port Underwood road is fine from Waikawa up and over the hill to the coast, as it is all sealed and apart from a couple of slips is two vehicles wide. The gravel along the coast to Tuamarino is snotty, bumpy, rocky, corrugated, tight and slow... which is fine by me but I wouldn't be upset if we didn't do it.

One of the things Lee always says at the Grand Challenge: ride to the conditions! There is plenty of time. If you don't like riding at night, or your bike's light is pathetic, or it's wet and you don't like riding in the rain, then SLOW DOWN! Take lots of rests at those times. Make up the time when conditions improve...you have LOTS of time.

Oh yeah, another thought: don't head mostly west at sunset!

Just trying to keep it real! :scooter: :sunny: :dodge:

warewolf
24th January 2007, 22:42
Just looking at some of the numbers on your fabbie chart, Ryan - nice work! Some refinements:

Nelson-Maungatapu-Pelorus is sub-60 mintues, 45-50 springs to mind.

Havelock-Picton as mentioned previously is 30 minutes. Speed 100, time 18 minutes, hello Slighty can I have your autograph?

Rainbow Skifield to SH63 (17km) is not 100km/h, more likely 75.

St Arnaud-Howard Valley-Porika-Braeburn-Longford-Murchison, better than 50km/h. Lots of good seal or good gravel in there. The slowest bit is the Porika and much of that is 50km/h or so. The worst of it is only short distances, just up and over the range into Rotoroa.

But I guess there's no point changing your data for less than 10-15 minutes change.

cooneyr
25th January 2007, 07:01
Good luck MS getting the seat sorted. The more the merrier. The only parts of the route that could be interesting is getting up the Porika and the Mangatapu with a pillion. In saying this the Busa Petes have just gone up the Mangatapu pillioning on a 1150GS so can be done.

I agree with your comments WW regarding taking it easy. I think it is better to take it easy and finish rather than push it and ?????. I have played with some of the speeds you mention and by the time you speed up the some sections and slow down the others it makes 10's of mins difference. This an interesting point for all. I just has a look and it seems that a 60kph speed on all legs including stops will give us a a ~17.5 hour ride time. This is worth keeping in mind as there is no rush to get it done in 24 hours.

Using the table above we will be heading north up the Motueka valley at sunset so should be OK.

I hear what you are saying about not being a closed course WW and agree but still think it would be nice to keep away from the dead ends. No need to introduce the risk if not necessary. Only would have to drop Mt Arthur from the route but it is steep and tight enough that speed shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Maybe we leave the Grove Track/Port Underwood road in for now. We are not after instantaneous speed records and this is an adventure ride. We will just have to take it easy through there. I have some ideas for other routes but they are just as wiggly so not much point in changing.

Serious thought - how do we manage safety in such a large group. We cant all stay together cause sill mean lots of time waiting for all to turn up at each stop due to spreading out for dust. Do we make up groups of two or three of similar speeds and each group must stay together. That way hopefully if anything goes wrong there is somebody able to go and get help.

Anybody up for doing some artwork that we can make into stickers for the ride? Cheap as chips to print.

Cheers R

Zukin
25th January 2007, 07:10
Why, how many tens of thousands of kays are you going to rack up around NZ in a short space of time? The DR-Z will do 40-60,000km before it needs anything other than routine servicing.

I mean I would need to put on new tyres, a full service, maybe even fit some aux lights??
I wont have much time, if its the 10/11th then that is a bit better for me to prepare

cooneyr
25th January 2007, 07:11
Rainbow Rage is on the 17th of march so doesn't clash with it - thank god cause 2000 cyclists coming at you !! Not good.

Cheers R

magicfairy
25th January 2007, 07:18
The only parts of the route that could be interesting is getting up the Porika and the Mangatapu with a pillion. In saying this the Busa Petes have just gone up the Mangatapu pillioning on a 1150GS so can be done.

Do you mean the BusaJims? We did it on the 1150GS Adventure earlier this month, I posted a story about it.
Yep it can be done, bit hairy at times - don't take a nervous pillion !

cooneyr
25th January 2007, 07:43
Do you mean the BusaJims? We did it on the 1150GS Adventure earlier this month, I posted a story about it.
Yep it can be done, bit hairy at times - don't take a nervous pillion !

My apologies - yes you guys. Link here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42251

Wanna come join us then?

Cheers R

magicfairy
25th January 2007, 08:01
My apologies - yes you guys. Link here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42251

Wanna come join us then?

Cheers R

Actually there is a very good chance we will join you.
Have to work out logistics but we will probably come over from Wlg on ferry Friday night, stay in Nelson that night and the Saturday.
Thanks for the invite.

cooneyr
25th January 2007, 08:17
Now in the calender. See here if you want to sign up. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1135&day=2007-3-10

Cheers R

PLUG
25th January 2007, 12:11
... in & out roads ... to me the reason given for not using them is weak ... after all it's a public road ... one of the aims of this challenge is to make as much dust as possible ... another, is to explore ... besides, there is always interesting stuff along these roads ...

XP@
25th January 2007, 14:23
... besides, there is always interesting stuff along these roads ...
Would hazzard a guess that in the case of an endurance ride the interesting thing is the road and the next corner. After a 1000 miler there is precious little i can remember that was more than 10m away from the side of the road.

PLUG
25th January 2007, 16:09
...endurance ride the interesting thing is the road and the next corner.

... sounds like it's a chore for you ... not for me though ...

Transalper
25th January 2007, 18:06
Makes absolutely no difference to me, why does it to you? (I'm curious)
Why i'd prefer it not a club run event... hard to give an answer anyone else might get. I guess the best answer is that it be a trait of quiet, possibly introverted personality. I used to do all the big event and party things but went right off crowds a while ago. If a club was running it then I'd think of it more as a big event and that's a turn off. Am well aware that that's a minority point of view.

Eh? Of course it is. You shouldn't be rushed: it is an endurance event, not a sprint...you have to ride at a sustainable pace, which means time to look around. These rides are about FUN which is why we ride in the first place.Talking about Queencharlotte Drive etc... You were the one who suggested avoiding it. As for the rest of that quote, I've done about a dozen big runs like this, mostly on sealed roads and personally i run out of 'fun' at about the 750km mark just about every time so would prefer not to waist my energy there, rather if there's an option I'd skip Queencharlotte and move on to the next dirt patch. Don't matter to me if i don't do all the kms.
BTW, there's no way i'd do a 1000 MILER, it just wouldn't be safe for me, a micro sleep would get me.

Rusty Nuts regularly use return sections (one year was almost all returns, out and back from Turangi 5 times, that really mind-fucked a few people into withdrawing), it's never a problem.'It's never a problem', apparently it was for the people who withdrew. However, I'm ok with using return sections.

Hope that sort of satisfys your queries on my earlier post.

warewolf
25th January 2007, 22:52
Carl, I see where you are coming from on each point.

I'm not keen on a crowd scene myself, nor having a ride captain and lots of silly rules & badges. I doubt you are in a minority, either. But I reckon the dual-purpose community is probably small enough and anarchistic enough not to get to the point of "it's not fun anymore." Even if a club provided some back-end services and/or publicity, it would still only attract small numbers of people like us...err, maybe that is a problem? :sunny: If we have ten starters we'll be doing well.

I was suggesting avoiding Qn Charlotte because it will kill your average speed, not because it wouldn't be fun or would be hard work...purely a numbers game there and our objective is dirt not seal. We'll sacrifice speed for dirt but nought else if there are other options.

The GC route that mind-fucked people was not a problem in terms of safety regarding oncoming bikes. Sure it was a problem for people who couldn't mentally comprehend the point of it all and/or couldn't hack repeatedly coming back to their bed - but we were talking safety, and it wasn't an issue. Lee was finally allowed to use that route because too many people were saying "it's too easy". It's actually better because the constant oncoming traffic reminds both parties to 'play nice'.

The thing with these events (and any long trip) is to avoid the boring straight sections like the plague. That's what gets you. Riding in the twisties/rolling countryside keeps your concentration and awareness up, plus keeps you physically active on the bike thus avoiding soreness from sitting still too long. Riding across the Canterbury Plains near kills me, 30 minutes of that and I'm almost out of my tree...like a child with ADD...

warewolf
25th January 2007, 22:57
I mean I would need to put on new tyres, a full service, maybe even fit some aux lights??If it suits your schedule, feel free to do it at my place (minor service, not valve clearances unless you can do it yourself) I could even collect oil/filters/tyres locally for you. Still have all my notes, torque values etc from my DR-Z.

The chaps at Cycletreads Nelson are very helpful, bought all my tyres from them over the last 18 months.

warewolf
25th January 2007, 23:26
The only parts of the route that could be interesting is getting up the Porika and the Mangatapu with a pillion.My first time on the Porika was with a pillion, in mid-winter, in misty rain, with a road tyre on the rear. :stupid: Not my smartest of plans.

Serious thought - how do we manage safety in such a large group. We cant all stay together cause sill mean lots of time waiting for all to turn up at each stop due to spreading out for dust. Do we make up groups of two or three of similar speeds and each group must stay together.Definitely should have a manned (or womanned) communications base, everyone is given that number to call (landline & txt), particularly in case of withdrawal. They have a list of names & numbers to call as necessary - entrants and maybe next of kin. Eg if a CHC rider has a mechanical dnf near Hanmer, no phone coverage, another rider could pass the message back to base and have them contact the dnf's next of kin for arranging a recovery ex-CHC...that sort of thing. It's just easier if you have all the info at hand. But requires a volunteer or two.

Probably do it solo 'officially' but with people teaming up to suit themselves. If people checked in with base at each stop then we'd be able to keep tabs on everyone. Dunno, maybe I'm over-complicating things? :grouphug:

PLUG
26th January 2007, 07:41
Definitely should have a manned (or womanned) communications base, everyone is given that number to call (landline & txt), particularly in case of withdrawal. They have a list of names & numbers to call as necessary - entrants and maybe next of kin. Eg if a CHC rider has a mechanical dnf near Hanmer, no phone coverage, another rider could pass the message back to base and have them contact the dnf's next of kin for arranging a recovery ex-CHC...that sort of thing. It's just easier if you have all the info at hand. But requires a volunteer or two.

Probably do it solo 'officially' but with people teaming up to suit themselves. If people checked in with base at each stop then we'd be able to keep tabs on everyone. Dunno, maybe I'm over-complicating things? :grouphug:

Good idea WW ... a simple, common sence based contingency plan ... a must i fell ...

cooneyr
26th January 2007, 07:50
The Qn Charlotte wont be the fastest but riding from Havelock to the Wairau is on seal and relatively straight so is it really that much better. Since it seems we are not to worried about the in and out routes I'm sure we can find something more interesting to do than the Qn Charlotte drive. Will look into it.

Talking about loosing the plot. This is one thing I like about the route in that the last 300km are all within about 1.25 hrs ride of Nelson (Murch). If people are really struggling then can bail - but I didnt say that :innocent: What I means is the last 300kms are not traveling through the Molesworth/Rainbow where the is no choice but to finish.

A phone/txt in base is another idea and it is a good one. Only problem I have with it is that if you have an big off and the next person behind you is 30 mins away then your kinda in trouble. We don't need to have official groups just need to know that there is somebody looking out for you along the route. This especially applies to tail end charlie. The phone/txt stops would probably coincide with fuel stops and there is 200ish kms between so lot of ground to cover if you disapear into the bush and nobody sees it. We need to think about this some more.

Anybody arty in this thread. Still looking for something to make into a sticker. I'm a number crunching engineer so if I end up doing it you wont want to put it on your bike :sick:

Cheers R

XP@
26th January 2007, 08:10
... sounds like it's a chore for you ... not for me though ...

It's just this thing I have about looking where I am going :-)
Not a chore :-)

RedKLR650
26th January 2007, 12:52
Right you are with the dates. Lets make it Saturday the 10th unless some "major conflict" with other event as March Hare on the 3/4th.

I've refined Plugs route a little. Doesn't appear to be quite long enough measuring from topomap. Attached is an image of the route and and my calcs of distances (including fuel intervals) and times. I've allowed a 10 min break about every 100km.

All up I recon around 15 hour trip, leave at 6 back at 9 and daylight is roughly 7 to 8 at that time of year so first hour and last hour in dark. About 550km of gravel/dirt in route. Generally interval between fuel about 200km.

Cheers R

I'm a starter as long it's the 10th or 11th..... ( I've put my name on the list ) As for your map, for some reason when viewing, it all shows until the GIF changes to add the route lines then the bottom 1/2 of the map disappears ???

Cheers, Stu

cooneyr
26th January 2007, 13:54
I'm a starter as long it's the 10th or 11th..... ( I've put my name on the list ) As for your map, for some reason when viewing, it all shows until the GIF changes to add the route lines then the bottom 1/2 of the map disappears ???

Cheers, Stu

Hi ya Stu. Glad your keen and I really don't see the date changing now. Not sure what is happening with the GIF. Try downloading and viewing with the XP fax and photo viewer (assuming you have XP) or some other software.

All
Following some suggestions I'm currently investigating further refinements to the route that would enable us to remove the Qn Charlott and Port Underwood leg and include more around the Blenhiem and Tapawera/Wakefield areas. Will hopefully get our gravel percentage up. Will post more when more certain of details.

Cheers R

Balrog
26th January 2007, 16:31
We're in :)

MagicFairy and I booked our ferry sailings last night. We're arriving in Picton
about 9pm on the Friday night and we'll head straight over to Nelson.

Looking forward to meeting you all

Zukin
26th January 2007, 18:14
We're in :)

MagicFairy and I booked our ferry sailings last night. We're arriving in Picton
about 9pm on the Friday night and we'll head straight over to Nelson.

Looking forward to meeting you all

Hmmm
I wonder if I will have funds left after our ride??
I should book too

I wont be able to check on this much after the 3rd Feb so keep all the info coming and I will check when I can.

Cheers Scott

cooneyr
29th January 2007, 13:10
We are getting pretty close to having a route sorted short of checking access with forestry management in Nelson. Checking access is purely to make sure the roads are not locked and there is not logging in the area that would be an issue. We are planning on staying on haul roads or better i.e. there will be no forestry "trails".

I think a route roll chart is going to be necessary as parts of the route are complicated. I will provide the charts in electronic format once the route has been finalised. You will need to cut and stick the charts into a strip so you can put it into a holders. An example of a roll chart holder is here http://www.heeters.com/enduro.shtml
Roll chart holders can easily be made from the smallest click clack boxes. I'm yet to make one but if anybody has one they could take a pic of and put up it would be appreciated. The chart will be around 70mm wide depending on how you cut it i.e. you need to make sure the holder is wide enough.

The starting place will be the carpark next to the information centre (recently rebuilt) on Trafalgar Street near the Maitai River. The shell garage less than a block away is open 24 hours for the final top up before we start.

I'll put up maps, route roll charts and details later on.

We have 8 people signed on the calender up so far which is awesome.

Cheers R

magicfairy
29th January 2007, 14:11
Big thanks for all the organising effort going into this. BusaJim and I are off on Wed for 10 days, to go down the Murray River in a houseboat with a bunch of friends. So we won't be checking KB till the 12th Feb for any updates.
Just to let you know we are still "in"

Zukin
29th January 2007, 17:43
Hey

Just put me down for a maybe rider.

I wont have long after our big trip to organise things for another, but I will do my best, as this sounds like me :yes:

Is there a way you can load waypoints (using topomap) then I can load them into my gps, that way that roll thing is one less thing to make

Keep me posted.

warewolf
29th January 2007, 20:31
Big thanks for all the organising effort going into this. BusaJim and I are off on Wed for 10 days, to go down the Murray River in a houseboat with a bunch of friends. So we won't be checking KB till the 12th Feb for any updates.
Just to let you know we are still "in"
Hope there's enough water, carrying canoes is a b!tch, but carrying a houseboat must be a m*therf*cker!!!

warewolf
29th January 2007, 20:45
Roll chart holders can easily be made from the smallest click clack boxes. I'm yet to make one but if anybody has one they could take a pic of and put up it would be appreciated.They were invented by our very own 4skins, search here (and advrider.com (http://advrider.com)) for his Capital Coast Adventure threads, I think he put details on there.

far queue
29th January 2007, 21:16
Roll chart holders can easily be made from the smallest click clack boxes. I'm yet to make one but if anybody has one they could take a pic of and put up it would be appreciated.Here (http://www.adventurerides.co.nz/rsholder.htm) you go guys.

Looks you'll have a fun weekend ... and sore arses at the end of it :shake: I wouldn't mind tagging along, but too far in one day for me. I prefer to take my time, and stop to enjoy the view and take a few pics when I get the urge. Anyway have fun ... I'll revert to lurk mode now.

Ghost Lemur
29th January 2007, 22:17
Here (http://www.adventurerides.co.nz/rsholder.htm) you go guys.

Not the best of instructions, doesn't mention tensioning or how the bolts are fixed to the click clack. Saw some good ones on the Canty Rides ride, but didn't take a close enough look at enough to see the different particulars individuals had used.

Me, I want the Dakar system. Button controlled motor rolls on the chart... mmmm Sexy. Excessive, but sexy. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a smaller version (the Dakar one's are huge) given someone with the right skills.

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 06:56
Here (http://www.adventurerides.co.nz/rsholder.htm) you go guys.

Looks you'll have a fun weekend ... and sore arses at the end of it :shake: I wouldn't mind tagging along, but too far in one day for me. I prefer to take my time, and stop to enjoy the view and take a few pics when I get the urge. Anyway have fun ... I'll revert to lurk mode now.

No need to lurk FQ. Could tag along and ride as much as you want We are never too far from somewhere with accommodation. Thanks for the link.

I made a holder last night but have not put the little bars across in the top corners so not quite finished. Not overly happy with the mounting location re the nadds but I figure if they get that close to the handle bars then I probably got problems anyway. Doesnt touch the fuel tank (about 10mm gap).

Cheers R

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 07:11
Hey

Just put me down for a maybe rider.

I wont have long after our big trip to organise things for another, but I will do my best, as this sounds like me :yes:

Is there a way you can load waypoints (using topomap) then I can load them into my gps, that way that roll thing is one less thing to make

Keep me posted.

I know I can create waypoints but you need to let me know some more details of format, reference system etc. I've never done it for real before only mucking round. Also where do you want the waypoints at the same locations as the roll chart instructions i.e. intersections where turning into a new road?

Good luck with the big trip.

Cheers R

Zukin
30th January 2007, 07:24
Hey

Dont worry too much if its a hassle?

If you are using Topomap, just add a waypoint before a turn and then again just after the turn (that way you know which way to turn), also add them in on long stretches, that way you also know you havent gone off track :)

I can do it if I know where we are going? Would I be able to understand where we were going just by reading the route sheet?

Cheers Scott

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 07:40
Hey

Dont worry too much if its a hassle?

If you are using Topomap, just add a waypoint before a turn and then again just after the turn (that way you know which way to turn), also add them in on long stretches, that way you also know you havent gone off track :)

I can do it if I know where we are going? Would I be able to understand where we were going just by reading the route sheet?

Cheers Scott

You will probably struggle to understand from the route chart without being there and having the odo set. I'm planning on putting together a set of maps using different scale maps for different parts depending on how complicated that part of the route is. Should be able to figure out the route from that. I'm happy to do it just not sure I'll have time to do it before your ride so you can test it. I'll try and get the maps done over the next couple of days but still need conformation from forestry management re access (onto this today).

Cheers R

Zukin
30th January 2007, 07:56
Hi

Dont worry about it, I would hate for you to do it all and then me not make it:gob:

I will just have to figure it out myself :yes:

Cheers Scott

magicfairy
30th January 2007, 08:06
Hope there's enough water, carrying canoes is a b!tch, but carrying a houseboat must be a m*therf*cker!!!

Apparently the section where the houseboats travel NEVER runs out of water even in a drought. Apparently.
We agreed to this trip about 10 months ago, - back then it seemed a long way away.
To be honest we'd rather be riding our bikes while on holiday, doing our own thing and not mixing with the crowds, but sometimes you just have to make the effort to be socialable and mix with ordinary folks.

Transalper
30th January 2007, 09:03
...I made a holder last night but have not put the little bars across in the top corners so not quite finished. ..Looks like a neat job, did you use long bolts as the axles?
The clickclack i used is the .04Litre one. Its inside dimensions are about 75mm wide, 110mm long and 50mm deep.
I used 8mm dowel and some handles drilled and glued to one end. Then a little tape raped around the axles inside the click clack and outside between the handles and clickclack so as the axles dont spin freely. That stopped the routesheet turning thru engine vibration etc. Others used rubber bands to stop the thing winding freely but the two sides turn at a different rate so that didn't work so well.
The little bars in the corners i used a small tent peg. Cut it up and slid it thru one side, then thru a straw and into the other side and just glued it in place. The straw turns freely so the route sheet doesnt snag (this is my mk2 design).
The bracket to mount on bike is just screwed on to the click clack. I used a kinda s or z shaped bar and mounted it above the handlebar off to one side bolted to a handle bar mount bolt.
To finish i put wide tape over the right side axle ends to help make it water resistant.
The only problem i have now is that when either side is full of routesheet, it gets stuck against the little bars in at the same end. So in mk3 i will move the axels with the handles on closer to the middle (and each other) to give more clearance to the bars with the straws on.
Lastly when cutting and joining the routesheet before installation, take your time and be neat and tidy and get the overlap the right way around. I used a bit of tape on both sides of the joins and never had a tear.. unlike others.

All photos are obviously with the lid off and routsheet not tensioned. So far it's survived two adventures so am fairly satisfied with it.

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 11:10
Looks like a neat job, did you use long bolts as the axles?
The clickclack i used is the .04Litre one. Its inside dimensions are about 75mm wide, 110mm long and 50mm deep.

I used the .04 litre one as well. The axles are long bolts I had lying around. Guess they are M6's about 90 or 100mm long. The red "knobs" are the very high denisty foam from inside my mountain bike forks. It is a spare piece from a rebuild kit. I drilled 10mm holes into the foam and left about 3mm of 3 or 4mm hole at the box end. I though about using coke bottle lids and gluing them on but surprise we didn't have any for once. The bolts are pushed into the foam only (should glue them for security) as the head of the bole is slightly larger than 10mm so it friction fits nicely. I have nylock nuts so don't have to worry about loosing them but also allows me to adjust the length and hence friction of the foam on the box so they shouldn't turn while riding. I like like the idea with the straw so will have to make some modifications over the week.

The mounting plate is a flat piece of 1.5mm steel with two holes for handlebar mount bolts and two holes for the bolts through the box. I'm thinking about leaving the plate on as it doesn't protrude much more than the mounts behind the handle bars and just removing the box when not in use.

Cheers R

warewolf
2nd February 2007, 13:26
Me, I want the Dakar system. Button controlled motor rolls on the chart... mmmm Sexy. Excessive, but sexy.Get a KTM 640 Adventure, open wallet, exchange fun vouchers for factory-option road book, including mounting frame and handlebar-mounted controls, all just plugs/bolts into the bike, the fairing is designed for it. Muchos bling!!

Not overly happy with the mounting location re the nadds but I figure if they get that close to the handle bars then I probably got problems anyway. Doesnt touch the fuel tank (about 10mm gap).Usually they mount near or replace the LHS mirror. You don't want to compound any potential problems by not having any nuts (or "bolts") left afterwards...:gob:

The straw turns freely so the route sheet doesnt snag (this is my mk2 design).Excellent addition, dude! That's one of the problems with mine: drag on the end pins. Will have to mod mine, too.

NordieBoy
7th February 2007, 17:57
Nelson to Pelorus via the Maungatapu is 30km (about half of what was on the route sheet).

Transalper
7th February 2007, 18:42
Nelson to Pelorus via the Maungatapu is 30km (about half of what was on the route sheet).
Shhhh.. don't tell them that, now they r going to go try and find another 30km to tack on our soon to be sore butts somewhere.:shutup:

NordieBoy
7th February 2007, 19:12
Shhhh.. don't tell them that, now they r going to go try and find another 30km to tack on our soon to be sore butts somewhere.:shutup:

Oops...

So I shouldn't mention names like Jacob's Ladder then?

cooneyr
7th February 2007, 19:17

Yep the first version has some errors. I have a revised version and I'm checking things further as I put together the route charts. Lots more checking to do yet. Will need this sort sanity check from others when I get first revision of the route charts completed.

Cheers R

cooneyr
8th February 2007, 07:02
Oops...

So I shouldn't mention names like Jacob's Ladder then?

Missed this one last night. Already included Jacobs Ladder. I don't want to put up the detailed maps yet in case the forestry sections dont come through and there has to be further revision of the route. I'm chasing Forestry Management at the moment so as soon as I get the all clear I'll post the maps.

Cheers R

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 08:01
See Post Number 63 for changes since this was posted.

Starting to get some traction (as my colleagues would say). Basically we have a route sorted and I have arranged to get access to the Rainbow.

The maps attached show the route on 262 series maps and include references to the detailed maps I will attached to the next posts. Basically I got a rather short sharp no to getting access through the forests around Wakefield so had to revise the route again. I went to Nelson last weekend to see inlaws so took half a day and went driving around Thorpe/Nagimoti to come up with a suitable alternative. I've also added in the road to Palmer/Newcombes south of Springs Junction to get the km's back up. It is a relatively straight road gravel but am guessing not many have been there. Remember we are going Nelson, Blenhiem, Hanmer, Murcheson, Springs Junction, Murcheson, Tapawera, Wakefield, Nelson.

All up we are now in the order of 1020 kms as roughly measured from the 262 series Topomaps. I'm now going to put together the roll charts using the more detailed 260 series Topomaps so will confirm that distance. Attached to next post is updated calcs for the route distance's and times. DR650 and similar riders should note the distance between Blenheim and Hanmer - we are going to need to carry fuel.

Have talked to DOC south Malbrough to get a feel for the Molesworth dryness re possibility of an early closure. I couldn't get any comment from the DOC lady so no further ahead on that front other than she said it isnt on the cards at this stage. I need to check back on this closer to the time. I also found out that the Rainbow closes on the 4th of March so I've arranged to get a key this weekend (back off to Nelson this weekend). I'll be given a liability waver form when I pick up the key. Each rider needs to sign it before we go into the Rainbow. I think the best way to do this is for me to scan it and put it up here. Each rider then needs to print it, sign it and either rescan and email it to me (PM for private address) or fax it to my work - 03 366 9870 re Ryan Cooney. I'll get them to the station manager before we go through.

With regards to costs for the ride - with the exception of your own fuel, food etc the only fixed cost at this stage is $10 for access to the rainbow. I'll confirm the cost this weekend and we will pay money with return of the key when we go through.

There is a possibility of a video of the ride being made by one of our members. If this was to be done I think it is only fair that we pay for the DVD which it will be supplied on and a little extra to cover some of his time and equipment costs. The work is very good and the video would be in the order of an hour or so. I for one would love to have such a video, however he is non committal at this stage. If such a video was made available at say $30 how may would be interested. If there are enough we may be able to convince him to get the gear sorted for the day.

Think this covers everything to date. In summary we are looking good to go at this stage - we have a route, we have access to the roads needed and we have enough kms.

See additional posts for detailed maps and route km and time details.

Cheers R

P.S. I think a 5.30 start would be best so we can use as much of the dawn as possible. Sorry all you late risers.

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 08:06
Route details and first 5 of 13 detailed maps.

Cheers R

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 08:09
6 to 11 of the detailed maps.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
15th February 2007, 08:13
Looking good.

When I told my brother about this ride his first reaction was "hypothetically, what would I need to do to the Nordie for this ride?".

:yes:

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 08:14
12 and 13 of the detailed maps.

Also a couple of options for stickers to put on bikes if people are interested. I told you all they would sux - somebody else must be able to do better! (or should I just flag the idea?)

Cheers R

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 15:57
Post number 63

OK - I contact the fuel station in Tapawera and they close before we get there. I've also pretty much finished the Roll Charts which means I've measured more accurately. I have found that with the more accurate measurements we were closer to 1100 kms and the last leg between fuel stops - Murcheson to Nelson - would have been closer to 270kms. This is getting awkward for the DR650's with about a 200km range i.e. have to carry about 4-5 extra litres.

Sooooo - the route between Tapawera and Nelson has been changed. This has kept the last leg from Murch to Nelson down to around 235kms which is much more manageable i.e. coke bottle of fuel. We are still looking at around 1050kms total.

As a result I've pulled all the incorrect maps and the incorrect details off my previous posts (all marked with red text "see post number 63") and have attached new maps. Therefore all maps and details from post number 58 till this one are the current maps. I'll check over the roll chart and post shortly.

Cheers R

PLUG
15th February 2007, 16:19
TOP effort there CR ... bring it ON

NordieBoy
15th February 2007, 17:33
My sister lives in Wakefield on the main drag just as you get on to the straight back to Nelson.
Could be used as a emergancy fuel dump?

pevs
15th February 2007, 20:42
Are these any use to ya?
1000k's on gravel huh? Brave souls indeed. The Waimak is about as far as I trust my old DR.

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 21:25
My sister lives in Wakefield on the main drag just as you get on to the straight back to Nelson.
Could be used as a emergancy fuel dump?

Given that the last leg is now down to 236kms and the Blenhiem to Hamner leg is the same I'll just carry an extra 2.25 litres which will easily get the extra 40 ish kms over standard range. Thanks for the offer though.

Are these any use to ya?
1000k's on gravel huh? Brave souls indeed. The Waimak is about as far as I trust my old DR.

Some would say 1000kms is easy and that we should be doing 1000 miles. I thing 1000 kms is enough punishment for now LOL. Your not keen?

Dude those are awsome, thanks for the effort. I like the first one. Look way more professional than my "efforts".

Cheers R

pevs
15th February 2007, 21:48
Anytime Cooneyr
Let us know if you'd like them changed or if you want them layed out on a bigger sheet to get them printed somewhere.
I'm no whizz kid at design.. but i'll give it a whirl.
100k's from Belfast to the gorge and back usually has me walking funny for days.. haven't done it for yonks tho.. no fun in the dry weather tho.

cooneyr
17th February 2007, 18:02
Looking good.

When I told my brother about this ride his first reaction was "hypothetically, what would I need to do to the Nordie for this ride?".

I'm a bit slow on the uptake of this one. You've got a DR with a big tank havent you? Nicely shaped seat now and all.

You going to let him (play nice)?

Cheers R

cooneyr
18th February 2007, 17:15
Hi all. Attached is the Rainbow access disclaimer form. We all need to have filled out and signed a copy of this form and faxed it to the Station before we go through. Please fill it out and either rescan it and email it to me (PM for address) or fax to me at work on 03 366 9870. I'll forward to the station.

I'll like all the forms back by the Wednesday before we go through i.e. the 7th March.

Oh yeah - I obviously have a key now too. Anybody wanting to go through the Rainbow on the way up on Friday the 9th I'll pass the key onto either Plug or Transalper. Please make contact with them regarding timing etc for the 9th.

The access costs $10 and is effectively for a 24 hour pass, so if you go through on the 9th you dont have to pay again on the 10th.

Cheers R

Transalper
18th February 2007, 17:54
Have PM'd PLUG to check his intention and assuming he's going via the Rainbow, to synchronize with his time schedule.
Personally I can start heading up anytime from about 1:30pm on Friday.
I will have J in tow on the Friday so speed will be relaxed.

Transalper
18th February 2007, 21:39
Plug and I have confirmed an intended departure from Christchurch of 1:30pm at the latest on Friday 9th intending to travel to Nelson via the Rainbow ready for the Dusty Butt.

PLUG
19th February 2007, 19:33
what time do you norfilanders need to be on the boat ??? be nice to have a bit of a socialise in the morning ...

Transalper
19th February 2007, 19:41
Morning... on the Sunday... after the ride... ha ha ha. I don't think i'll be out of bed until lunch time on Sunday.

NordieBoy
20th February 2007, 07:10
I've already booked the Chiropractor for Monday :D

cooneyr
20th February 2007, 07:49
Morning... on the Sunday... after the ride... ha ha ha. I don't think i'll be out of bed until lunch time on Sunday.

I've already booked the Chiropractor for Monday :D

You bunch of cinical namby pamby old buggers! LOL :dodge: At least you to have "comfy" seats. My fat arse squishes the foam to the seat pan and no a sheepy doesn't help.

I'm going to have to trailer the bike up and back and have a driver (wife) to get me back down on Sunday hehehe. There will be space for another bike at least for the trip back to chch on Sunday.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
20th February 2007, 08:02
My fat arse squishes the foam to the seat pan and no a sheepy doesn't help.

The secret is not using the whole sheepy, just the skin.

cooneyr
20th February 2007, 08:31
The secret is not using the whole sheepy, just the skin.

Doh - I though something was a bit funny when I saw Plug put his "sheepy" on. Though what he did with it when he wasn't sitting on it was the interesting bit LOL :shutup:

Cheers R

pevs
20th February 2007, 17:17
Hiya Cooneyr
Have a squiz at these (4 versions in file).
Dimensions are now 100x60.
Still able to tweak if ya need it.

cooneyr
20th February 2007, 18:00
Hiya Cooneyr
Have a squiz at these (4 versions in file).
Dimensions are now 100x60.
Still able to tweak if ya need it.

Thanks for that Pevs. I'm liking the second one so will go with that.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers R

pevs
20th February 2007, 19:57
Imposed 6up 0n A4
Have fun!

Transalper
20th February 2007, 21:05
I wonder if the wording would sound better as Upper South Island instead of having people not paying attention and seeing the word northen then thinking it said Nothern Island. Some people are silly like that. Reading what they think it says instead of what is actually written.

pevs
21st February 2007, 17:02
OK.. upper it is.
Jpeg is just for viewing purposes.. pdf is 600dpi print quality.

Transalper
21st February 2007, 17:46
Well done, I like it better that way. Cooneyr, Plug, any comments/thoughts?

pevs
21st February 2007, 18:04
All this talk about adventure riding has got me seriously thinking about buying one! That and a recent brush with the law.. (oh my did the JP frown when the copper read out "exceeding the posted limit by 58 kmh") and watching LWR.. that program should come with a warning!!

RedKLR650
21st February 2007, 23:15
All this talk about adventure riding has got me seriously thinking about buying one!

Well I know where a good 1 owner KLE500 happens to be for sale :-)

Cheers, Stu:scooter:

Steam
21st February 2007, 23:33
Well I know where a good 1 owner KLE500 happens to be for sale :-)

You selling? I am interested. Please do tell.

magicfairy
23rd February 2007, 07:29
Hi all. Attached is the Rainbow access disclaimer form. We all need to have filled out and signed a copy of this form and faxed it to the Station before we go through.

Faxed this morning. Couple of questions - how are we to pay the $10 ?
When we went thru at Xmas it was $10 per vehicle, assuming that hasn't changed, but there won't be any ranger to collect the $
If the group gets really split up .eg. we may be a fair way behind travelling 2 up and on a big bike, how are we going to get through gate, if keyholder has long since ridden on.

Thanks
Marie

Transalper
23rd February 2007, 09:30
Usually in the Rainbow there are two locked gates to pass. I'm thinking the only way it will work would be a big regroup at each gate. I don't think unlocking them and going on assuming the last bike will lock it again is wise. There would have to be some sign whether the gate was actually closed and locked for starters. What if someone else comes along and locked it again.

PLUG
23rd February 2007, 11:15
The times I've been through "out of season" there has been only one locked gate & that's been Hells gate. The one on the StArnard side of Island saddle where the road is right by the river & carved out of a rock face. It would be easy enough to set up a dump spot for the key if we are that spread out. In the scheme of thing this is not a biggie to over come.

magicfairy
23rd February 2007, 12:00
It would be easy enough to set up a dump spot for the key if we are that spread out. In the scheme of thing this is not a biggie to over come.

That sounds like an idea, I guess last one thru brings the key back. We dont want to hold you guys up if we fall behind.

cooneyr
23rd February 2007, 12:39
Jeeze - I'm away two days and look what happens. Number of points to respond to so

1 - Thanks very much Pevs for the sticker. I'm personally really happy with it so am going to investigate printing some more over the weekend. (Pevs - go get yourself a venture bike and join in - you know you want to (get the bike that is) :innocent: )
2 - Cost - yes it is $10 still. I'll collect money on the Saturday before the ride and hand it over with the key as we go through the Rainbow (homestead is near the Nelson end just of the road).
3 - Three people have returned the access disclamer forms - just a reminder to the others.
4 - As far as I'm aware there is one gate. This is the steel tube gate slightly on the Nelson side of the old homestead.
5 - Regarding the key and spread out riders. Warewolf's suggestion (which I agree with) is that each rider waits at the gate and hands the key to the rider behind. This is a safe way to do this so there is no confusion where the key is hiding etc and getting stuck behind a locked gate. I'm keen to return the key with the money so am happy to be last away from the gate.

I've had a go at the Roll Charts and have asked Plug and Warewolf to have a look at it as this is my first attempt at putting one together. I've been given a number of points to work on so I'm currently working on revision two. Subject to a second look from P and WW I hope to have this finished and posted sometime next week. This should given you plenty of time for the newbies to understand how they work and ask questions where necessary.

While talking of roll charts - if you make your own holder, my tip is to make sure the rollers are not too hard to turn. Paper is not that strong in tension and turning the roller with the paper, to loosen the tension, before rolling it onto the next will be a pain. Remember the rollers need to have just a little resistance or else they will move with the vibrations when riding.

Cheers R

Transalper
23rd February 2007, 12:57
3 out of 4 trips i've done off season only one gate was locked. On the 4th trip two gates were locked.
Either way, passing the key along to the next rider until the last one comes through works. If the second gate is locked it just means a forced regroup until the key catches up.

RedKLR650
25th February 2007, 00:55
You selling? I am interested. Please do tell.

Check out the following post :-)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=43070

If you're interested, give me a buzz on 0274 342 372

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

NordieBoy
25th February 2007, 07:47
So...
Anyone in Nelson willing to teach "Gravel riding techniques" to a total gravel wuss?

I'd ask my brother but know his response and I'm not fond of the idea of winding it out fully open on gravel corners :rolleyes:

RedKLR650
25th February 2007, 09:37
So...
Anyone in Nelson willing to teach "Gravel riding techniques" to a total gravel wuss?

I'd ask my brother but know his response and I'm not fond of the idea of winding it out fully open on gravel corners :rolleyes:

Gee Nordie, looking at your wee Avater photo, wuss probably wasn't the first description that sprung to mind :shutup:

Stu :scooter:

NordieBoy
25th February 2007, 13:34
Well today I was called a wuss, a nanna and several others as I was pootling my XR250 round a MX fun day track.

Usually incorporated into sentences like...
"Wind it open you ......"
"Just crank it in the corners you ......"
"Go faster you ......"

Unfortunatly it's usually my brothers girlfriend who is saying these hurtful things.
If I ever catch up to her I'll tell her off big time :D

Orangedog
28th February 2007, 21:24
Hi, when is the cut-off for rego ? Just found out about the ride, sounds like fun although a sheepies may be a definite.
If your needing to get labels printed let me know (I have a label company)

cooneyr
28th February 2007, 21:44
Hi, when is the cut-off for rego ? Just found out about the ride, sounds like fun although a sheepies may be a definite.
If your needing to get labels printed let me know (I have a label company)

There is no cut off re joining us. Only thing I need is for people to fill out the rainbow disclamer so I can fax it to the station before we go through. We can probably fax it from somewhere of the day if desperate.

Bugger about the labels - I just went and organised printing today. They are going to cost $3 each and I'm getting 20 printed. They will be proper bumber stickers and will be laminated so should be pretty durable.

I'd say youre going to need a very good sheepy on a KLX400 -narrow hard seats have they (say with a yoda voice - makes much more sence LOL)

Cheers R

cooneyr
1st March 2007, 09:27
Righty - I have "finished" the roll charts. First 6 of 10 are attached. Sorry about the size for those on dial up but I wanted to make sure they werent too pixelated for printing. Number of points about them : -
1 - These are not field tested. As a result the drawings of the intersections may be slightly wrong and the distances will be wrong.
2 - The intent of intersections drawings should still be correct i.e. first left at intersection etc.
3 - The distances need to be treated with caution as they have been measured from electronic topographical maps and it is likely that most bikes will read differently. If we treat the distances as + or - about 10% we should be OK. This means 1km error in 10km or 5km error in 50km.
4 - To try and deal with the distance problem I have lots of resets. Where there is a "RESET" in a cell with an turn and distance instruction this means Zero your Trip Meter at that location. The following cell is always "RESET Zero Trip Meter" which is a reminder should you forget.
5 - The * next to the distance in the lower right of each cell means that the next instruction is within 1km or less. Basically if you see an * then roll to the next instruction ASAP or even before you have completed the current instruction.
6 - Emergency contact number to be sorted but will get you to write it in before we start.
7 - To make sure we do 1000+ km I've left a space for start and end km readings from you Odometers.

Fingers crossed these work but if you all have a rough idea of the route the charts should only be reminders or for detail on unfamiliar roads. Just try and remember the general direction you are trying to head if the charts get confusing on the day.

Tips for putting the charts together: -
A - The faint lines either side of the cell are cut lines so that the chart is not to wide for a small click clack. You may need to check the width before cutting for a different box.
B - When sticking the strips together make sure they are square else the roll of strips may end up to wide for your roll chart box.
C - Stick both sides of the strips with tape so there are no loose edges to get caught and the whole roll is stronger and doesn't pull apart.

Cheers R

cooneyr
1st March 2007, 10:12
This is sheets 7 to 10 (total of 10 sheets).

Though some might be interested in a pic of Jacobs Ladder which is between cells number 126 and 127. Good gravel on this section of road :Punk:

I'm away from the office on Jury Duty next week so would appreciate Rainbow Disclaimers by tomorrow night.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
1st March 2007, 13:19
Though some might be interested in a pic of Jacobs Ladder which is between cells number 126 and 127. Good gravel on this section of road :Punk:

There is another thing about Jacobs Ladder :D
Beside the road for quite a distance is a clay surface, wider than the road and BIG sweeping berms in the corners :D

cooneyr
1st March 2007, 13:45
There is another thing about Jacobs Ladder :D
Beside the road for quite a distance is a clay surface, wider than the road and BIG sweeping berms in the corners :D

Yes yes but we are responsible and dont go off into forests when we are not suppose to though aye :msn-wink: :msn-wink: :innocent:

Was going to mention at some stage. From memory some of the corners are seriously off camber though i.e. 30 degrees the wrong way. Drag the pegs going round a corner at 10 kph. :gob:

Cheers R

NordieBoy
1st March 2007, 17:23
Yes yes but we are responsible and dont go off into forests when we are not suppose to though aye :msn-wink: :msn-wink: :innocent:

Was going to mention at some stage. From memory some of the corners are seriously off camber though i.e. 30 degrees the wrong way. Drag the pegs going round a corner at 10 kph. :gob:

Just go on that bit to the right of the road in the pic :D

cooneyr
1st March 2007, 22:01
Rang the Rainbow Station tonight re the locked gates. There are two locked gates so any idea of hiding the key or handing it back to the person behind is not going to work. I think the way to do it is to get the first person to unlock the gates but shut (not lock) them when through and the last person shuts and locks the gates. I'd still like to get my hands on the key before I leave the last gate so want to last away from it.

One more thing - check your head light alignment. Went for a blat tonight in the dark and it made a diferance between feeling uncomfortable at 60kph to comfortable at 80-90 kph on a gravel road. Definatly worth the trouble.

Cheers R

Transalper
1st March 2007, 22:20
I'd still like to see a regroup of sorts especially if you want the event on video otherwise we might never see everyone on the tape after the start. I'd hate to have just the same two or three bikes in front of the camera the whole way.
And how do we know that someone who knows the gates are supposed to be locked wont come through, discover the first unlocked gate and lock it again while the last of the group are still coming thus stranding them on the Hamner side.

Transalper
2nd March 2007, 00:49
Here's both gates as recorded on 31st March 2006 travelling South toward Hamner, including the open area just south of Hells gate that Cooneyr and I spoke of while testing our bike lights...
3pUlBDkxu3s

cooneyr
2nd March 2007, 07:36
I'd still like to see a regroup of sorts especially if you want the event on video otherwise we might never see everyone on the tape after the start. I'd hate to have just the same two or three bikes in front of the camera the whole way.
And how do we know that someone who knows the gates are supposed to be locked wont come through, discover the first unlocked gate and lock it again while the last of the group are still coming thus stranding them on the Hamner side.

Good point about potentially locked gates TA and there is also potential for others going though and getting locked between the two gates.

Looking at the the "schedule" I had included a 10min stop at the Old Rainbow Station (before I knew the gates would be locked). Therefore seems TA is right in that might be best then if we regroup at each gate. It is about 22 kms between the gates so shouldn't be too spread between the gates. I'm guessing we are going to meet at each of the refuel stops (or more often) else it will be a lonely long day.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
2nd March 2007, 07:54
One more thing - check your head light alignment. Went for a blat tonight in the dark and it made a diferance between feeling uncomfortable at 60kph to comfortable at 80-90 kph on a gravel road. Definatly worth the trouble.

"Comfortable"
"80-90 kph"
"Gravel"

Are not words I like to see together in a sentence.

PLUG
2nd March 2007, 10:59
Rang the Rainbow Station tonight re the locked gates. There are two locked gates Cheers R

Can we pick up another key on the way through Friday ???

cooneyr
2nd March 2007, 11:13
Can we pick up another key on the way through Friday ???

I'm sure you or TA could try to. Is that what we want to do though? Passing the two keys back at each of the gates would defiantly work.

Bugger it - one of you two see if you can get a second key (you two sort out who is going to go to the station). If we get a second key then all good, else we can decide on a process during the briefing on the day. /Bugger it

R

Transalper
2nd March 2007, 12:25
Someone please explain to me why a regroup at the first gate then passing the key on to the next person at the second is such a bad thing.
Like i said it'll do wonders for the video to have the group reform.

The solution if you continue to be stubborn... Key arrives at first gate, waits for second person, then key goes on to second gate while second person guards the first gate.
Third person reaches first gate and guards waiting for next rider while the second rider moves on to relieve the first rider now at the second gate. The first rider can then go on if he feels he has to.
It's a relay similar to before but with an extra person guarding the first gate making sure it's not locked again untill we're all through... that's if you really insist on not regrouping.

cooneyr
2nd March 2007, 14:14
... Key arrives at first gate, waits for second person, then key goes on to second gate while second person guards the first gate.
Third person reaches first gate and guards waiting for next rider while the second rider moves on to relieve the first rider now at the second gate......

That is defiantly a workable solution with one key. Thanks for that TA.

Lets leave it till the day and see how the group interacts before we make a call about regrouping or not. We know we can get through with the resources we have and we also know that a regroup would be nice. If the group stays somewhat together then lets make a gate a regroup point. If we get strung out so the first person is 30ish mins ahead then maybe we wont regroup. See how we feel on the day.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
2nd March 2007, 16:51
How long does the last person wait for if they don't realise they're last :Oops:

cooneyr
2nd March 2007, 17:55
How long does the last person wait for if they don't realise they're last :Oops:

Designated tail end nana :zzzz: i.e. me for that leg.

Cheers R

warewolf
4th March 2007, 20:48
"Comfortable"
"80-90 kph"
"Gravel"

Are not words I like to see together in a sentence.Unless there is also "KTM" :Punk:

:Pokey:

NordieBoy
4th March 2007, 21:11
Unless there is also "KTM" :Punk:

:Pokey:

Hey CaveBoy, didn't something on your bike break recently?

:scooter:

warewolf
4th March 2007, 21:14
The solution

... is a good one.

Lets leave it till the day and see how the group interacts

Ditto.

My biggest concern is that confusion over an unattended gate causes a PR disaster, either because something is left unlocked or someone is locked out. I strongly recommend any gate unlocked by us is attended by us until it is locked by us. Don't forget we don't have exclusive use; someone else who finds the gate unlocked may lock it.

If we do get spread out prior to the rainbow, it would be nice to regroup somewhere comfortable (ie with a barista) while we wait. For that, I suggest a cafe in Hanmer, everyone (who needs to) should gas up first, then meet at the cafe for a break (lunch?) then head off at short intervals (to avoid dust). Have I used enough parentheses (brackets) in that last sentence??

We'll be in Hanmer kinda in the middle of the day, right? Even if we do get spread out during the morning, a lunch regroup followed by a bit of a convoy section through Rainbow would be fine, surely?

(PS Sorry been offline out bush since Thu arvo.)

warewolf
4th March 2007, 21:18
Hey CaveBoy, didn't something on your bike break recently?Yebbut, it wasn't a showstopper (actually broke some time ago), and it was still comfortable! :sunny:

Transalper
5th March 2007, 07:50
Alright, so i guess it's time to print that routesheet and feed it to my holder.

NordieBoy
5th March 2007, 08:09
I've been busily making waypoints to create a route for my eTrex and it was going well until #40 Black Birch Track which I couldn't find :(

cooneyr
5th March 2007, 08:10
I have rung DOC to confirm the Molesworth being open for Sat which it is. It is likely to close on Sunday though due to fire risk. We need to be very careful going though the Molesworth!

Hopefully everybody is managing with the roll charts. PM me and I'll see if I can help if you are struggling.

So far I have Rainbow Disclaimer forms from 6 DB participants but there are 9 signed up on the calender. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2007-3-10&e=1135&c=1
Can we please either send in the Disclaimer (fax to 03 366 9870 or PM for email address) or update the calender. Would really like to know exactly who is and isn't coming before Sat so we don't leave you behind. Departure time is 5.30 on the dot from the Information Center carpark on Halifax Street in Nelson. See attached pic for location.

Not fuel is available from Shell Helifax (open 24 hours) so you can top up before you start i.e. at 5.15AM. Shell Helifax is visible from the start location - see the roll charts for more info.

At this stage the WX is looking good but early days.

I'm possibly on Jury Service this week (find our in about an hour if I'm called) so wont be online throughout the day.

Cheers R

cooneyr
5th March 2007, 08:12
I've been busily making waypoints to create a route for my eTrex and it was going well until #40 Black Birch Track which I couldn't find :(

I'll see if I can help tonight. I think I can get something out of Topomap to send to you.

Cheers R

cooneyr
5th March 2007, 17:59

Got some corordinates for you.

First set in NZMG
Before the turn off (from Blenhiem) - 2,580,320 E / 5,937,600 N
Just onto track - 2,580,165 E / 5,937,735 N
Just after track (from Blenhiem) - 2,580,015 E / 5,937,585 N
Top of Altimarloch - 2,574,535 E / 5,939,040 N

Second set in WGS 84 (ddd mm.mmm) (these are not quite the same locations but close enough)
Before the turn off (from Blenhiem) - 41 45.936 S / 173 50.763 E
Just onto track - 41 45.859 S / 173 50.643 E
Just after track (from Blenhiem) - 41 45.943 S / 173 50.554 E
Top of Altimarloch - 41 45.188 S / 173 46.576 E

Hope these work for you. Can't do any other coordinate systems but if you look on the http://www.linz.govt.nz/apps/coordinateconversions/index.html you might beable to convert to other systems.

Cheers R

PLUG
5th March 2007, 20:52
5 more :zzzz: ...

NordieBoy
5th March 2007, 21:16
Sleep?
Who can sleep at a time like this!
I'm just starting to wind up the panic levels a notch.

-----------------

Getting there...

Errata?
1km past Cell 75 in Murch. near end of Fairfax Street should be left onto Matakitaki Road which then goes on to the Maruia Saddle Road?

Got the route sheet cut, taped and now just have to make a box thing...
The Plastic Box in Nelson dosn't have 400ml click-clacks :(

NordieBoy
5th March 2007, 22:10
We also have a couple of spare beds available Friday night if needed.
For bikes and riders.

Balrog
5th March 2007, 22:49
Sleep?
Who can sleep at a time like this!
I'm just starting to wind up the panic levels a notch.

-----------------

Yep
I'm not worried about parking the GS
In a tree ...
Half way up the Mangataupu ...
In a pitch black forest ...
In the middle of the night ...

Noooooo sir reeee. :sick:

RedKLR650
5th March 2007, 23:27
We also have a couple of spare beds available Friday night if needed. For bikes and riders.

Hi there Nordie, what's a contact # for you, as I'd be keen to take you up on the offer of a bed ( or even some floor space for a sleepingbag ) on the Friday night ( actually Saturday too if that worked.... ) for the Dusty Butt ride. I'm hoping to come up with the others on Friday afternoon at this stage. Cheers, Stu 0 3 688 5050 :scooter: :Punk:

cooneyr
6th March 2007, 07:48
.......Errata?
1km past Cell 75 in Murch. near end of Fairfax Street should be left onto Matakitaki Road which then goes on to the Maruia Saddle Road?.......

You inadvertently raise a good point that I forgot to mention.

Not every intersection along the route is shown on the roll charts. This is because the charts would be too bit to physically fit in the holders. I have only mentioned turning onto (and therefore off) each road.

I have attached a map of the turn from Fairfax St onto Maruia Saddle Road to clarify I have understood what you mean i.e. the intersection circled in blue? it is very obvious which way to go at that intersection from memory. We drove that road three weekends ago and I don't remember there being a straight ahead option.

The funny thing is Wises actually has a online map of Murch!!!! All four roads! LOL.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
6th March 2007, 07:57
Hi there Nordie, what's a contact # for you, as I'd be keen to take you up on the offer of a bed ( or even some floor space for a sleepingbag ) on the Friday night ( actually Saturday too if that worked.... ) for the Dusty Butt ride. I'm hoping to come up with the others on Friday afternoon at this stage. Cheers, Stu 0 3 688 5050 :scooter: :Punk:

03 548 1787
Friday night there'll be 2 single beds, 1 double bed and a double bed fold-out couch available.
Saturday, 1 single and the fold-out couch.
Oh, and the hammock on the deck.
Carport will take 4-5 bikes no problem.
End of a dead-end street with little traffic.

2km from the startoff point.

Also have a shed full of tools inc. compressor and waterblaster :D

NordieBoy
6th March 2007, 08:10
Hopefully I'll be able to get a little p&s digicam to use on the ride.

What sort of tools/spares should I be taking?
Zip ties, gaffer tape and enough tools to remove both wheels?
Spare tubes?

Panic!

cooneyr
6th March 2007, 08:31
Hopefully I'll be able to get a little p&s digicam to use on the ride.

What sort of tools/spares should I be taking?
Zip ties, gaffer tape and enough tools to remove both wheels?
Spare tubes?

Panic!

Must have spares -
spare tube (I carry either a 19 inch and plan on using it either end in emergency),
Chain lube,

Nice to have spares -
Set of spark plugs,
Few links of chain and a couple of clip type master links,
Zip ties,
Tape,
Electrical wire and connectors,
Lacing wire,
assortment of nuts and bolts,
tube patch kit,

I know I have a pretty decent roll of tools as do a couple of others. If there is any tool that is specific to your bike - talking to the GS BMW and KTM here - then worth looking into the appropriate tool. Otherwise I don't think panic buying is necessary. There is no need for all of us to carry a 14mm spanner - a couple for the group is sufficient.

A couple of us will have things like chain brakers, spare lengths of chain and clips etc. So we should be pretty well covered.

Worst comes to the worst I have a tow rope :shutup:

Cheers R

Transalper
6th March 2007, 08:35
Of course if we don't regroup here and there and all the good tools piss off up the road, that might leave a tail end charlie in need (just stirring)

Zukin
6th March 2007, 16:21
Hi there

I wont be coming on this ride now, I just couldnt get organised in time :(
Have fun and ride safe
Cheers Scott

cooneyr
6th March 2007, 16:32
Hi there

I wont be coming on this ride now, I just couldnt get organised in time :(
Have fun and ride safe
Cheers Scott

That sux. Suspect you have had enough long distances on bikes for a bit anyway. Next time aye. Thanks for letting us know.

Attached is a couple of pics of the stickers that I got back this afternoon. Look really cool and are laminated to protect from oil water, petrol etc. Ended up with 24 of them for $60 so hope you want a couple each (doesn't matter if you don't). The lady who served me (co-owner of the place) wanted to keep one as she though it was kinda unique!

Looking very much like we will have 9 people and 8 bikes.

Cheers R

Balrog
6th March 2007, 16:44
Marie and I are all good to go.

Just got the GS back with some new tyres (TKC80 ).
Picked up an extra repair kit
Some tubes and tyre levers ( which I hope I never have to use )
Spare fuses

If I can just find an iron arse, I'll be sweet

Just been over all the maps, roll sheets etc
Superb effort from all you guys doing the organising, its obvious you've put in
a ton of work to get it this far.
Much thanks, I can hardly wait for the weekend to come around.

I'm a bit worried about slowing everybody up, I've been out practicing as much as possible, but I'm no Motocross rider.

If worst comes to worst, we'll volunteer to be the tail end charlies

:)

NordieBoy
6th March 2007, 18:00
Just made my route sheet holder and am putting together a sheepy.
Looks like a 250ml container will just do :D

cooneyr
6th March 2007, 19:19
....Just been over all the maps, roll sheets etc
Superb effort from all you guys doing the organising, its obvious you've put in
a ton of work to get it this far.
Much thanks, I can hardly wait for the weekend to come around.

I'm a bit worried about slowing everybody up, I've been out practicing as much as possible, but I'm no Motocross rider.....

Those maps look awsome LOL. When I was flatting I use to have a whole heap of old 260 series topos that covered most of the Lewis to Arthurs Pass areas and slightly south on the wall. What a geek I was!!!!

Dont worry about being slow - this is not a race - just ment to be a fun ride that challenges you. I really dont care if it takes me 18-20 hours to complete it - I just want to complete it.

Cheers R

cooneyr
7th March 2007, 07:44
Not wanting to tell you how to suck eggs but something for you to think about. This ride is likely going to take the better part of 16 hours and the weather is predicted to be clear i.e. warm to hot. Keeping energy levels up and keeping hydrated is going to be very important.

Most of you probably know what works for you but for those who don't you should try to drink and eat regularly i.e. every stop. Doesn't have to be much, but drinking a little often is much better way to keep hydrated than lots infrequently - you tend to pee it out if you drink lots infrequently. The same applies to food. Eat things like muesli bars that are slow release energy. Chocolate/candy bars are nice to eat but you get normally get a quick sugar rush and thats it - not a great idea.

I've done 24 hour orienteering and climbing trips and have seen what can happen i.e. people get absolutely buggered to the point of being unable to continue and your mental state deteriorates to the point where you don't think clearly. A mate and I got seriously confused trying to navigate at 5am one morning after starting at 10am the previous morning and thought valleys on our map were ridges - took about 20 mins to figure out what was going on.

Sorry if this is mothering.

Cheers R

PLUG
7th March 2007, 12:00
Dont worry about being slow - this is not a race - just ment to be a fun ride that challenges you. I really dont care if it takes me 18-20 hours to complete it - I just want to complete it.

Cheers R

DITTO ... a race, it is not ... although at times you can fang it up if the mood takes you ... which is what I'll be doing from time to time ...

MyGSXF
7th March 2007, 12:04
Hope you lot have a ferken AWESOME day out !!! :Punk: Look forward to the after event write ups!!!! :yes:

Safe trip everyone!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Jen :rockon:

NordieBoy
7th March 2007, 12:49
DITTO ... a race, it is not ...

Phew!

:scooter:

warewolf
8th March 2007, 10:29
It's an endurance event, not a sprint. You need to travel at a comfortable pace you can do all day.
Average speed counts way more than peak speed. You keep your average speed up by keeping the stops short.
Many short stops are better than fewer big ones. Don't gas up, eat, drink, smoke, take a piss all at once. Spread them out as separate (short!) stops, but do combine some as efficiency dictates.
Elaborating on Ryan's comments: Camelbaks are great for hydration. I've heard if you drink more than about 250mL of water at once, the excess goes straight to the bladder. Regular sips is considered the most effective.
Move your arse on the seat every 10-15 minutes tops. Moving your arse 10mm slightly changes the angles of all your joints (esp. arms & legs) reducing strain, soreness etc. Don't wait until you are sore from sitting in the one spot for 2 hours - too late!
Put your warm gear on before you get cold, not after.
Try to keep to your usual routine. Eat more at mealtimes, drink coffee like you would normally. Changing your diet/routine will be just one more thing your body/head will have to deal with.
Relax, enjoy, and look out for each other. It's the journey, not the destination. If for some reason it all craps out and it has to be aborted, so be it. Who cares! Don't stress about it. The last leg from Murch to Nelson is near 300km by Ryan's devious route, but an easy 125km by the main highway. Look for such things as an 'out' if it all gets too much.

I've done plenty of the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenges with nary a problem. Twice on the KTM on TKC80s or similar, once with a sheepskin seatcover, once without. Now try to convince me the thing vibrates like a jackhammer and has an uncomfortable seat!! And it's not just the 1600km in 24 hours: most times I ride back to Auckland afterwards, most times I come from Auckland or further afield on the Friday night. So we're talking up to 2500km in 48 hours here. Many, many people do it this way.

Sure, the DB involves gravel roads, but what I'm saying is: this thing is doable. It's not a major horror. Take it steady and keep your wits about you.

NordieBoy
8th March 2007, 14:42
So we're talking up to 2500km in 48 hours here. Many, many people do it this way.

But not usually for their first time :D :scooter:

Transalper
8th March 2007, 18:07
TV1 and TV2 both report :sunny: sunshine:sunny: all over on Saturday, Friday and Sunday look good too.:soon: not long now

Ruralman
8th March 2007, 19:02
Just made my route sheet holder and am putting together a sheepy.
Looks like a 250ml container will just do :D

My ex[erience with my sheepskin on the Passes ride was that after a while it started forming lumpy ridges which were a worse pain than the seat without it - I reckon the way to avoid this would be to sit on it skinside up - ie don't sit on the woolly stuff. The exception is for proper fitted sheepskin seat covers that can't move around and form the ridges - but these things would be a pain on wet days and I rather have something I can just chuck on when I want it.

Have a great ride you guys - sounds like a great idea and adventure and I will certainly be a starter at a future one if you do it again.

warewolf
8th March 2007, 22:07
The exception is for proper fitted sheepskin seat covers that can't move around and form the ridges - but these things would be a pain on wet days and I rather have something I can just chuck on when I want it.The custom-fitted sheepy on my Triumph never comes off - rain, hail or shine. Why risk a sore arse on top of potentially being wet and cold?? I'd remove a sheepy from an adventure bike if I was going for a serious play in the mud, but not just for rain. It's probably quicker to remove a custom-fitted job than a universal that has lots of fiddly anchoring to try to avoid wrinkles.

mazz1972
8th March 2007, 23:10
Too all of you who are heading out on this awesome adventure....stay safe...have a ball....and stay upright! Look forward to reading about it next week

PLUG
9th March 2007, 06:20
see ya-all in 22 hrs 11mins & 38 seconds ... 22hrs 11mins 35seconds ...

cooneyr
9th March 2007, 07:59
Updating -
Rainbow forms are sent for all.
Molesworth is defiantly open tomorrow but will be closed on Sunday so we just made it!
WX is still looking good for tomorrow.

See you all tomorrow at 5.15ish so we can be ready to leave at 5.30.

Take care all on your travels to NN today. See you tomorrow.

Cheers R

cooneyr
9th March 2007, 08:05
P.S. - Make sure you all bring a tenner for the rainbow access!!

Cheers R

Zukin
9th March 2007, 09:11
Hey all

Have fun ( I am sure you will), I really wish I was there I cant!!
Ride safe and I look forward to the trip reports when you have all recovered :yes:

Cheers Scott

NordieBoy
9th March 2007, 10:15
Liftoff in...

T -19hrs

Transalper
9th March 2007, 10:42
Just a quick thought...
Am thinking of taping a small torch to the left lower side of my helmet to read the routesheet in the dark. Or it is possible that all the other headlights and hopefully bright moon may be enough.

Transalper
9th March 2007, 11:17
Ok logging off now, c u there.

SDU
9th March 2007, 12:37
Have an AWESOME RIDE everyone.:rockon:

Hey TA any chance of a movie night so we can have a taste of what we missed out on.

magicfairy
9th March 2007, 12:41
I'm taking a movie camera, will be pillion so hopefully get some good pics

SDU
9th March 2007, 13:06
I'm taking a movie camera, will be pillion so hopefully get some good pics

cool So there is no excuse for you lot not to taut us with how much fun we missed out on! :yes:

cooneyr
9th March 2007, 13:06
Have an AWESOME RIDE everyone.:rockon:

Hey TA any chance of a movie night so we can have a taste of what we missed out on.

TA is planning on taking his camera so hopefully between him, MF and RedKLR650's stills somebody can put together a decent show.

Cheers R

Garry.W
9th March 2007, 15:43
see ya-all in 22 hrs 11mins & 38 seconds ... 22hrs 11mins 35seconds ...

But who's counting, right :yes: :yes: Have a great trip, be safe, take Colin's advice (it's all good) and bring back some brilliant photos to post. Oh, and have lots of fun :rockon:

NordieBoy
9th March 2007, 16:07
T -12 hrs

and counting...

far queue
9th March 2007, 16:14
Good luck guys and have a great one

Zukin
9th March 2007, 18:30
Hey guys

OK

I have a prize to offer those riders and pillions that are on the Dusty Butt 1000 run this weekend. :yes:

I want to see the photos of this weekends trip on this topic thread.
The photos must be posted by 6pm on Thursday 15th March

I will select 3 photos that I feel fits into any of the following themes of adventure riding;
Isolation
Friendship
New Zealand Beauty

I will then pass them by a panel of judges and they will decide who wins the prize.
The prize is a Huttons Sizzler BBQ (small portable charcoal)
The prize is only open to those participating in the Dusty Butt 1000km Challenge

Good luck & please pass this on to the other riders that wont have access to their PC's tonight

Cheers Scott

RedKLR650
9th March 2007, 22:56
T -12 hrs.... and counting...

Hi Fran and the others,

As most of you know, circumstances here have precluded my participation in the event this year :whocares: ( cooneyr, I need a wife to drive me up as you did :-) :zzzz:

No amount of excuses is going to stop the piss taking by those of you who are completing the event, but believe me, if it was down to willpower, I'd be there already :Punk:

Keep the rubber on the ground, and hope to hear all the great stories soon :scooter:

Cheers, Stu

NordieBoy
10th March 2007, 03:36
No amount of excuses is going to stop the piss taking by those of you who are completing the event, but believe me, if it was down to willpower, I'd be there already :Punk:

I hear you broke a nail and couldn't get a manicurist after hours :innocent:

RedKLR650
10th March 2007, 08:12
I hear you broke a nail and couldn't get a manicurist after hours :innocent:

It's bloody hard to find a manacurist that's really dedicated nowdays :argh:

Best of luck guys

You should have completed the first couple of hundred k's by now

Stu

NordieBoy
10th March 2007, 09:15
Made it to Blenheim with only 1 puncture so far.

:D

NordieBoy
10th March 2007, 10:50
Mt Altimarloch 1696m

Another puncture.

Hmmm. Both bikes had Conti TKC 80's

NordieBoy
10th March 2007, 16:43
Finally made it to Hamner.
Only 5 hours behind schedule...

NordieBoy
10th March 2007, 21:20
A few of us had to pull out at St Arnaud at 9pm tonight.
Half way and we'd been on the road/gravel since 5:30am.

A bit to much to ask for a novice like me :bye:

RedKLR650
10th March 2007, 22:25
A few of us had to pull out at St Arnaud at 9pm tonight. Half way and we'd been on the road/gravel since 5:30am. A bit to much to ask for a novice like me :bye:

Bugger Nordie, good effort though. Pity about the punctures. What time did the others finish ? Any idea ?
I should have been there, I could have given you a tow ;-):scooter:

Cheers, Stu

NordieBoy
11th March 2007, 09:35
Rear puncture for Alfonz on the 650GS going through the Onamalutu and a front puncture/gash for BusaJim and MagicFairy coming down Mt Altimarloch.

Breakfast at Lambrettas in town to find out what happened to the rest of the insomniacs.

warewolf
11th March 2007, 13:15
I didn't have any thermals (poor planning on my part), figured we take until 6-7am to finish, so I pulled the pin at St Arnaud and cruised in to Nelson with Nordieboy, Busajim and magicfairy. :bye:

The other chaps enjoyed the Porika track but found visibility was a problem on what should have been fast open gravel. Another puncture by Murchison, tiredness had set in, so they too pulled the plug (not The Plug) and dawdled in to Nelson by about 2:30am.

All up a fantastic day's ride, Mt Altimarloch was simply stunning, but keeping the pack together really killed our average speed. Everyone is keen to do it again, plenty of big grins this morning at brunch. :second: We all have ideas how to make it happen and are keen for it to be so. Nordieboy and myself will do the second half ex-Nelson at some stage in the coming months.

Big ups to Ryan for all his organisation esp. sorting the route and the route sheets. :rockon: Thanks everyone for your company on the day.

RedKLR650
11th March 2007, 19:59
Big ups to Ryan for all his organisation esp. sorting the route and the route sheets. :rockon: Thanks everyone for your company on the day.
Hear, Hear Colin, although I was unable to make it in the end, I watched incredulously over the last few months as Ryan beavered away working on this trip. :rockon: I still have the most amazing set of roll sheets made up ready to go, so will maybe have a punt at the accessable bits over winter ( obviously not Molesworth etc due to it shuting today ). Probably not in one day though, based on the teams comments. Although the outcome wasn't quite as expected, you are all to be commended for your stirling efforts for the cause, and as for me being the only no-show for the event, I owe each and every one of you a beer the next time we meet ( even those of the team I haven't met yet ). :Punk:

Hoping everyone got back to there respective homes OK today

Stu

cooneyr
11th March 2007, 22:09
Hi all - thanks for the comments about organising. It was a learning curve for me but I really enjoyed it. The day was awesome too - great bunch of people, great road and scenery.

Alfonz got another flat just before Murch - definatly something rubbing the tube in the tyre. We thought about carrying on from Murch but come leaving time it was decided that we had better call it a day. Final total - 730km in 21 hours = 34kph average.

More later when I have had some sleep.

Cheers R

MyGSXF
11th March 2007, 22:15
Final total - 730km in 21 hours = 34kph average.

That's one hell of an effort guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk: Well done!!!!! :clap:

(think I saw Transalper & another bike, riding past The Kohatu Pub on their way home this avo.. bout 3.30ish???)

Transalper
11th March 2007, 22:17
Did the Maruia Saddle on the way home today. Very nice.
Got home about 9:30pm.
Was good to meet some more adventurers and had a great weekend.
Thanks to R for the mapping/ roll chart effort and Pete for his bit in organising too.
Now where's my bed... it's going to be a long day at work tomorrow.

Transalper
11th March 2007, 22:21
think I saw Transalper & another bike, riding past The Kohatu Pub on their way home this avo.. bout 3.30ish???If it was a yellow DR650 then yep may have been us, got away from Nelson near 3pm. Not sure what pub that be.

Transalper
11th March 2007, 22:24
Final total - 730km in 21 hours = 34kph average.

That kinda sucks as an average speed, guess that what happens with flat tyres and all the other down time included. I wonder what the actual average speed was once stops are subtracted from the time taken.

MyGSXF
11th March 2007, 22:27
If it was a yellow DR650 then yep may have been us, got away from Nelson near 3pm. Not sure what pub that be.

Yep. :yes: The pub on corner where ya turn off to go down the Motueka Valley.. you should remember that road!! :dodge: You must be shattered.. go to bed! :yawn:

NordieBoy
12th March 2007, 06:38
That kinda sucks as an average speed, guess that what happens with flat tyres and all the other down time included. I wonder what the actual average speed was once stops are subtracted from the time taken.

My GPS has got 38.6kph Overall Avg Speed and 56.2 Moving Avg Speed over the 600km total I did.

RedKLR650
12th March 2007, 07:50
My GPS has got 38.6kph Overall Avg Speed and 56.2 Moving Avg Speed over the 600km total I did.

Now you guys have a good grasp of the principals of moving average speed, ponder this...... During the infamous Helen Clarke speeding fiasco from Waimate ( Down past here ) to Christchurch airport to catch the flight to a rugby game, in order to cover that distance in that time, she had a moving average of 140kph. Now considering she had railway crossings to dog-leg over and towns to pass through, think what her top speed must have been...... And to think her officers give US tickets !!!!!:Oi:

Stu :scooter:

Transalper
12th March 2007, 08:40
Thanks for that, you have some cool toys to go with that DR of yours... and having the technology to post here while actually on the side of the road was brilliant, those little update posts have made the thread for me. An accurate account in real time of how the plan came apart.
I think i'll revise Rs original timetable with average speed as 56.2 km/hr and add his stops as 10minutes and see what it looks like plus lunch and tea as 30minutes. Then have a tolerance at the end of two hours for repairs.
I stopped quite a bit, often to get video, often longer than i should have.

far queue
12th March 2007, 08:41
Well, done guys. How are all the sore arses and so on today?

Transalper
12th March 2007, 09:31
Sore shoulders :yes: , Legs were a bit gelly yesterday, better now. Ass got kinda sore but never really got worse, I just kept changing position like Warewolf suggested and it seemed to work quite well. I did not use a sheepskin.

Next time i'll go with a view to spending a few hours asleep at the side of the road and take a bed roll to keep me in that frame of mind. Just wasn't really siked to do that this trip, hadn't thought of it as an overnighter. Kinda wish i had now, sorry Plug.
Oh well, until next time :rockon:

warewolf
12th March 2007, 10:27
Arse was starting to get sore while on the bike at the end of the day, but that stops as soon as I get off the bike. Noticed it more on the trip home on the smooth tar than anywhere else. No sheepy, std seat. Also, I started the day with the rear shock tuned for two-up so it was too firm and chattering in the rough (even on the tar), set it back to solo settings at Blenheim and the comfort returned.

Ankle/lower calf muscles Sunday morning knew they'd had a workout. Apart from that, no aches or pains.

magicfairy
12th March 2007, 10:39
Just want to say a huge thanks to all you guys for a great day. I thorougly enjoyed it. (Except for the odd scary moment, like nearly being tipped off the bridge :shit:)
And your support of BusaJim and me was awesome, sorry we had to hold you guys up.
The highlight for me was going to the top of Mt Altimarloch, the lowpoint - getting the puncture on the way back down.

Plug - you were awesome helping us sort that out. I promise I didn't video you with your pants off. :innocent:

Cooneyr - What can I say, amazing amount of work went into the preparation, those route sheets were brilliant.

And all the rest of the crew, huge thumbs up, thanks again.

Anytime anyone needs a bed in Wellington, just give us a yell.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about the biking community, the really great people you meet and how fantastic bikers can be helping other bikers. :niceone:

SDU
12th March 2007, 12:14
Welcome back folks. Sounds like extra kip in order after that haul. Good on ya all! Look forward to seeing the vids/pics

cooneyr
12th March 2007, 12:17
The day started really well - all arrived on time. The trip over the Mangatapu in the dark was heaps of fun. Only one incident where BusaJim and Magicfairy had an oppsie on a bridge with no guard rails. Well done saving that one! From there it was quick run to havelock then fog to the start of Onamalutu Rd. Got our first puncture along Onamalutu Rd. Then wound our way to Blenheim via Tuamarina. Quick stop for fuel (both bikes and humans) then over Taylors pass to the Awatere then along the seal to the start of Black Birch Range Track. Absolutely magnificent views from the top at 1696m (highest road in 4x4 books). Could see Waihopi, Port Underwood, North Island, Grassmere, Cape Cambel, etc etc. If you have the inclination to go up there it is not a bad track and is defiantly worth the time. Had our second puncture on the way down.

From there was a run to and through the Molesworth to Hamner. Only 46 degrees at the Molesworth according to a car thermo. Time was marching on so after another quick fuel and food stop was off through the Rainbow. Our process of whoever opens the gate shuts the gate worked really well as the faster guys opened and shut the gates by passing the slower ones. Meant everybody got the travel close to their preferred speeds and yet the group stayed together. Was starting to get dark as we got to St Arnaud (1/2 way point in kms) so some decided it was time to bug out. The mad few decided to keep going.

We headed off for the Howard Valley and managed to overshoot it in the dark. After a little back track was off up the Howard to and over the Porika Track. The Porika was fun in the dark as with the lights could see the rocks to avoid so was reasonable pace still. Comming down the steep section into Lake Rotoroa we all stopped and turned our lights out. Once our eyes adjusted we could see the lake, bush line and ridges. Also saw the most stars I've seen for a long time. From Lake Rotoroa we went over the Breaburn track and out to Murcheson. Was frustrating on the gravel sections as I've travelled them at 80-100 kph during the day but was maxing about 65kph at night. Couldnt see the wheel tracks or central ridges of gravel or corners very well.

Once at Murcheson we had another flat so we were down to three. Plug the slave driver was keen to continue, and the other two (me included) were wavering. We decided it had got to the point that we were going to struggle to complete it in 24 hours and we were knackered. We decided to call it quits and run for NN (1.5 hours away). With a few stops on the up we managed to get back to NN around 2am.

All in all an awsome day in terms of weather, scenery, friendship, and fun. Would love to have another go and see if I could complete it - would have to be a very hard out day though. Didnt get overly sore, butt was a little uncomfortable but with the stops was perfectly managable - standard (read old and soft) DR650 seat with no sheepy. Worst thing for me was slight dehydration (drank 3.5 litres over 21 hours) and numb hands. I now have puffy hands and am damn tired.

Started with an almost new (500km old) Shinko R244 rear tyre that is almost half cut now so kinda hard on it but had heaps of fun hanging it out.

In conjunction with Zukins very kind offer regarding the photos, Nordieboy have given me a brand new pair of sixsixone (I think) medium black motocross style gloves to give away. So I have decided that we should get feedback from the participants to decide which participant is most deserving of them (kinda arrogant but - no point nominating me as my hands are too big). Nominations can be serious or silly.

My nomination is for Magicfairy for two reasons -
1 - Having to put up with Pete running round in his gruts while helping BusaJim fix the flat and ;
2 - Having to put up with BusaJim's arse in her face while he was standing on the trip up the Mangatapu.

My photos all suck as the phone camera doesn't cut the mustard and I was too slack to take. I've attached the best one from up Mt Altimarlock. You can just make out the north island in the background and lake grassmere is down to the right.

Everybody got home safe last night.

Cheers R

Transalper
12th March 2007, 13:04
I only had video equipment with me so no photos here.

warewolf
12th March 2007, 14:38
Our process of whoever opens the gate shuts the gate worked really well as the faster guys opened and shut the gates by passing the slower ones.And somehow the key carrier ended up first to each of the two locked gates. Who planned that?

My nomination is for Magicfairy for two reasons -
1 - Having to put up with Pete running round in his gruts while helping BusaJim fix the flat and ;
2 - Having to put up with BusaJim's arse in her face while he was standing on the trip up the Mangatapu.
3 - They'll provide that expert touch when massaging BusaJim's butt when he stands;
4 - They'll help if she has to climb out of a ravine if BusaJim throws her off a bridge;
5 - She'll be guilted into riding her own bike on the next one...

warewolf
12th March 2007, 14:53
Fuel economy was pretty good, better than I expected. Worked out at 5.14 L/100km (19.5 km/L) for the stretch from Blenheim to Nelson: Taylors Pass, Black Birch up Mt Altimarloch, Molesworth to Hanmer, Rainbow and home to Nelson. Just shy of 500 kays to a tank.

That's better than what I typically get road riding, but marginally worse than a two-up trip from St Arnaud through Rainbow-Hanmer-Molesworth-Taylors to Blenheim.

Balrog
12th March 2007, 14:58
Cheers R

LOL,
Yeah, Big Black and Dusty not much of a view there I'm afraid :)

Great weekend guys. I just want to go back and try it again.
( I'll pass on the wasp stings next time )

Its hard going back to work when you have this kind of entertainment
in the weekend.

When are we doing it again?

:2thumbsup

NordieBoy
12th March 2007, 15:55
This is just a test unnerstand but...
If you load THIS (http://photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/files/Dusty Buttcheek 500 - inc photos.kmz) up into Google Earth you may get the Dusty Buttcheek 500 track and some photos.
As I add more photos they'll appear like magic at your end.

Possibly...

Oh and I'm not condoning this at all but if one were to accidentally spill some CRC on a rag and try to remove it by wiping vigorously on Ryan's handiwork on your Dusty Butt sticker it may accidentally come clean.
Or so I heard :shutup:

PLUG
12th March 2007, 16:42
I plan on heading back to knock the bastard off over Easter ... camp up the Friday night in St Arnard either @ the DOC camp or the back packers & head away bright & early Saturday morning ... any takers from the inaugural DB crew ...

Transalper
12th March 2007, 16:43
This is just a test unnerstand but...
If you load THIS (http://photostorage.nelson.geek.nz/files/Dusty Buttcheek 500 - inc photos.kmz) up into Google Earth you may get the Dusty Buttcheek 500 track and some photos.
As I add more photos they'll appear like magic at your end.

Possibly...
Indeed, save target/link as then run it with google earth and all will be revealed...
Or for just the photos if you don't have the bandwidth to happily run google earth.. http://www.panoramio.com/user/267697

NordieBoy
12th March 2007, 16:54
I plan on heading back to knock the bastard off over Easter ... camp up the Friday night in St Arnard either @ the DOC camp or the back packers & head away bright & early Saturday morning ... any takers from the inaugural DB crew ...

Bugger.
Going to be down in Wipara over Easter.

Transalper
12th March 2007, 17:10
I plan on heading back to knock the bastard off over Easter ... camp up the Friday night in St Arnard either @ the DOC camp or the back packers & head away bright & early Saturday morning ... any takers from the inaugural DB crew ...I'd prefer a week or two after Easter... hoping to own my own DR soon (got one lined up, just need a small loan and for owner to take possession of its replacement) and thought you had other plans in the pipeline for Easter. Either way I may be riding blacktop on the coast Karamea kind of direction with J and some others... over Easter.

Balrog
12th March 2007, 18:38

Hey Plug,

I'll be in if you're doing it over Easter.
Marie probably won't go pillion, She'd come down to St Arnard on her bike
and camp but head back to Nelson on the road.

Are you planning on doing the whole butt again with a break in the middle
or just finishing off the last cheek :)

NordieBoy
12th March 2007, 18:45
I'd prefer a week or two after Easter...

Oh yes please...

:scooter: :yes:

PLUG
12th March 2007, 19:15
Hey Plug,

I'll be in if you're doing it over Easter.
Marie probably won't go pillion, She'd come down to St Arnard on her bike
and camp but head back to Nelson on the road.

Are you planning on doing the whole butt again with a break in the middle
or just finishing off the last cheek :)

Aeee gsjim... the second cheek starting @ St Arnard ... based on a 50k/h average at best, it'll be a days work ... if there is a bit of time at the end, up & over the Mangatapu might be in order ... & i promise to keep me pants on this time ...

PLUG
12th March 2007, 19:51
Shit hot work on the roll sheets Ryan ... was amazed at the accuracy of the distances ... you sure know how to read a map & transpose the info ... thanks for all your work, making the whole thing possible :rockon:

warewolf
12th March 2007, 20:01
I plan on heading back to knock the bastard off over EasterNo can do for Easter nor 21-22nd April.

cooneyr
12th March 2007, 20:27
Oh and I'm not condoning this at all but if one were to accidentally spill some CRC on a rag and try to remove it by wiping vigorously on Ryan's handiwork on your Dusty Butt sticker it may accidentally come clean.
Or so I heard :shutup:....

I'm sure meths would work just fine. The marker was a old fasion OHP marker. Thats partly why I gave you guys the extra stickers. Other was cause what the hell was I going to do with 10ish extra stickers

I'm really keen - keen to try a camping trip on the bike. Sister in-law expecting an addition to the family from around that time on so not sure. Will confirm closer to the time.

Thanks for the comments about the roll charts P.

Cheers R

Transalper
12th March 2007, 20:36
No can do for Easter nor 21-22nd April.
How about we aim for Saturday 14th April, would that work for Nordieboy too? (That's for those who are not able to join the Easter run with Plug)

NordieBoy
12th March 2007, 21:16
14th April works for me.

Dusty Butt part 2 - Turn the other cheek.

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 07:01
How about we aim for Saturday 14th April, would that work for Nordieboy too? (That's for those who are not able to join the Easter run with Plug)

The 14th is basically the due date for sister in law so thats even more unlikely for me. You never know about these things though. Will have to see how things are closer to the time.

Cheers R

Transalper
13th March 2007, 08:26
Why do you want to be there, it's not your baby. Guess your just too much of a family man, i never attended my brothers child being born, and hes my brother not an inlaw.
Maybe since this was more your project than anyone elses i'll wait for your suggested date which would be when?

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 08:56
Havlock by fog light...

The summit of Mt Altimarloch...

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 08:58
Coming down Mt Altimarloch...
Molesworth and Rainbow...

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 09:10
Why do you want to be there, it's not your baby. Guess your just too much of a family man, i never attended my brothers child being born, and hes my brother not an inlaw.
Maybe since this was more your project than anyone elses i'll wait for your suggested date which would be when?

I think I'll answer this off forum, but basically I'm too much of a family man is the easy answer.

Sorry to be a pain but I have to do this. I'd love to ride the rest with the crew but if I can be there don't wait for me. There will be another time.

Cheers R

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 09:19
Coming down Mt Altimarloch...
Molesworth and Rainbow...

Did anyone else notice the irony of the signs to the right of TA. Big one on the left says the river feeds a community water supply, hunters don't leave dead animals in the river etc etc. Second sign says 1080 droped in the area be wary of etc etc. Glad I didnt fill up with water from that water supply!!!! :gob:

Cheers R

Balrog
13th March 2007, 09:23
Marie and I can't do the 14th sorry.
I've got a software release that weekend and will be required at work ( sigh )

Still keen on Easter though. I appreciate you guys have other commitments.
Let us know if anybody else is good for Easter

Cheers Jim

Transalper
13th March 2007, 10:52
Plug sounds fairly comitted to Easter.
CooneyR...you didn't have to justify yourself but Family man was all you had to say to satisfy my curiosity... what about the next few weekends? ie 24th March or 31st March... or heaven forbid this coming one.

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 11:40
Plug sounds fairly comitted to Easter.
CooneyR...you didn't have to justify yourself but Family man was all you had to say to satisfy my curiosity... what about the next few weekends? ie 24th March or 31st March... or heaven forbid this coming one.

The 17/18th and 24/25 are out for me. 31st is ok as far as I know at this stage.

TA - sometimes it is just easier :yes:

Cheers R

Transalper
13th March 2007, 12:43
Nordie and Warewolf...anyone else... would that suit you guys?... Saturday 31st March?
Once cooneyr has a more definite confirmation i'd be prepared to go with that... restart the routesheet at St Arnaud if the sun shines or reguardless?

PLUG
13th March 2007, 12:53
Easter Saturday is my plan for " it's the turn of the other cheek" subject to the WX ... also plan to have a bit of a hunt around this general area on the way up Friday as well as Sunday & on the way home Monday ... Alfs keen as well ... may end up staying at the Murch pub ... $30 per night

SDU
13th March 2007, 13:03
Beautiful places you lot have been. Those photos are awesome Nordie

warewolf
13th March 2007, 13:37
Nordie and Warewolf...anyone else... would that suit you guys?... Saturday 31st March?Sorry, can't do that either.

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 15:13
Beautiful places you lot have been. Those photos are awesome Nordie

:D

Most of them were taken at 50-90kph.

Now to take the camera back to the shop for a refund saying I didn't like it.

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 15:13
Nordie and Warewolf...anyone else... would that suit you guys?... Saturday 31st March?
Once cooneyr has a more definite confirmation i'd be prepared to go with that... restart the routesheet at St Arnaud if the sun shines or reguardless?

Just about anything except Easter.

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 15:16
Just over the Maungatapu Saddle and into the...

Balrog
13th March 2007, 19:30
Easter Saturday is my plan for " it's the turn of the other cheek" subject to the WX ... also plan to have a bit of a hunt around this general area on the way up Friday as well as Sunday & on the way home Monday ... Alfs keen as well ... may end up staying at the Murch pub ... $30 per night

Sounds good to me,
Marie and I will probably head down to Muchesion on the Friday.
We'll head down via St Arnaud & I'll do the Porika and Breaburn ( need to make up those ks ) and meet her in Murch.

I'd better look at getting those ferry tickets booked.
Not sure if we'll do the pub or the camping thing :confused:

Transalper
13th March 2007, 19:57
Porika in the dark was very similar to the Maungatapu in the dark, all steep and chunky so hopefully you have another rider with you just in case. That said I think you'll be right especially if you have no passenger.

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 20:23
Dubious honour guys but this thread is the bigest in the Adventure riders forum in terms of posts and views!

Anyway - any further nominations for the Sixsixone gloves?

Cheers R

NordieBoy
13th March 2007, 20:28
Well it's probably narrowed down to TA or MF as they're the only ones that the gloves'll probably fit :D

"You have a girls hands m'lud"

Transalper
13th March 2007, 21:02
Well it's probably narrowed down to TA or MF as they're the only ones that the gloves'll probably fit :D

<blackadder>"You have a girls hands m'lud"</blackadder> :doh: I got a girls jacket too :shit: the armour fits me better in that size, took a bit to get used to that bloody backwards zip though :shutup:

Did i mention that my current mx gloves have holes in the thumbs.

far queue
13th March 2007, 21:32
:doh: I got a girls jacket too :shit: the armour fits me better in that size, took a bit to get used to that bloody backwards zip though :shutup:I bet you can fit lots of stuff in the breast pockets though :dodge:

magicfairy
14th March 2007, 08:54

OK - hint taken.
My vote goes to Transalper, he'll get A LOT more use out of the gloves than I will, and I have 2 pairs already.

NordieBoy
14th March 2007, 09:05

I have cut the tip out of the thumb on most of my MX gloves :D

cooneyr
14th March 2007, 10:55
OK - hint taken.
My vote goes to Transalper, he'll get A LOT more use out of the gloves than I will, and I have 2 pairs already.

Yer but that was a little bit un-subtle. Maybe we should just wait and see what the quality of the videos are from you both and decided on that LOL :dodge:

Damn it Nordie why did you put me in this position! LOL.

Cheers R

magicfairy
14th March 2007, 11:33
Then he definately wins. The quality of my videos is dubious, due to hitting wrong buttons with gloved fingers.
Got some good short ones at the first puncture and our puncture. Went downhill after that.
Left the video filming the inside of my bag for about 20 mins. :Oops:
Filled up disk and I never got round to putting in another one.

Pathetic effort.

Transalper
14th March 2007, 11:43
i got 3 hours 16minutes of stuff to sift thru, some with way too much dust or fog on the lens, other thats just a waste, some nice stuff in there though, got some on the pc last night.

cooneyr
14th March 2007, 11:50
Then he definately wins. The quality of my videos is dubious, due to hitting wrong buttons with gloved fingers.
Got some good short ones at the first puncture and our puncture. Went downhill after that.
Left the video filming the inside of my bag for about 20 mins. :Oops:
Filled up disk and I never got round to putting in another one.

Pathetic effort.

Any effort is a good effort. TA has a little more equipment that you though!

i got 3 hours 16minutes of stuff to sift thru, some with way too much dust or fog on the lens, other thats just a waste, some nice stuff in there though, got some on the pc last night.

Maybe we should use the gloves as an incentive for TA to get the video done
quickly. There are plenty of other videos in production that have taken a few months - hint hint :dodge:

Cheers R

NordieBoy
14th March 2007, 20:16
2007 Dusty Butt 1000

When I first heard about this ride I thought I'd better do some potential damage limitation and build a nice seat for the DR.
Surprisingly it looked and felt like it'd do the job.
Some Mitas E07's went on for footware.
Next was the routesheet holder. Who was to know Nelson was out of 400ml click-clacks?

Friday rolls around and there's panic buying of spare tubes, water bladders and food.
RedKLR650 had to pull out as he ended up not being able to leave Timaru until 7 pm which left it a bit late to get to Nelson with any comfortable margin. I think he just broke a nail and couldn't get to an after-hours manicurist.
Alfonz rocked up at about 11pm.
Strangely enough I got an uninterrupted sleep as it's usually broken by me waking up and checking the clock every half an hour to see if I've missed the alarm.

Ryan (CooneyR) was already at the Nelson Information Centre when Alfonz and I arrived at about 5:15am and the rest trickled in over the next 10 minutes or so.
The lineup was CooneyR (DR650), TransAlper (Cute little DR650), Plug (F650 GS Dakar), Alfonz (F650 GS Dakar), BusaJim and MagicFairy (R1150GS), WareWolf (KTM 650 Adventure) and NordieBoy (Mighty DR650).

I didn't think much of the suggestion that as locals, I should lead off and Colin (WareWolf) be Tail-End-Charlie, me? lead?.

First time I've ever done steep rutty stuff in the dark.
Fog, lotsa fog down the other side.
Jim (BusaJim) and Marie (MagicFairy) dropped the big BMW on the wet bridge after a steepish downhill and tight right.

Cruised through Havlock and on to Northbank Road in thick fog. At times you couldn't see the bike 20m in front.
Going through Onamalutu and Alf punctured his rear TKC80.

Over the Kaituna-Tuimarina and Bush Roads and on through to Blenheim fuelling up with pies and petrol.

Over Taylors pass and turning off at the gate (not deer gate) up Black Birch Track (No! Turn here Jim!).
Looong climb up to the 1690m summit of Mt Altimarloch with stunning views.
Alf set off first and the rest followed at intervals.
On the way down Carl, Colin and myself were waiting near the bottom when Ryan came down and informed us that Pete was helping Jim and Marie with a puncture.
We decided they were in dodgy but good hands so went a bit further on to find some shade.
After a couple of days Ryan went back up the hill to see what was happening.
A week later and we decided to follow him up and see if there were any survivors.
As we got to the scene they were pulling their gear on ready to head down, everything fixed.
Apparently it was a bit of a gash in the sidewall of the front TKC80.

Off down the Awatere Valley to the Molesworth.
Nice flowing gravel with these strange "J" shaped marks on most corners. Seems they're known locally as "Colin marks".
Lots of vehicles as the track was closing on Sunday but most vehicles pulled over a bit and slowed down to let you pass but some...
I followed one 4WD for about 20m off his bumper for 6km before he let me pass. There was a gate 1km further on and he went through as I held it open. Luckily it wasn't much further to the Acheron Accommodation House.
My shoulders were getting a bit sore from carrying 5L of fluids on my back.

Nice going down Jollies Pass but my engine cut out and took a few minutes to get going. Plenty of fuel left so may have been the kill switch or possibly the fuel tank breather blocked?
Fuelled up at the servo just out of Hamner and realised how far behind we were when Ryan said he expected to be in Murchison for the second time by now (5:30pm).
Some of the lads bought a 10L fuel can to stash outside Murchison if the petrol station didn't have an afterhours pump.

Jim and Marie scooted off through the Rainbow first followed by myself and the rest probably went to the pub first before heading off.
I was down to 2L of drink now so put it in the bike pack instead and it made a BIG difference.
Colin didn't take long to catch up and I followed him through 3 fords before I realised that there were bridges as well.
More lots of traffic.
The road conditions were great with only the occasional rock to avoid at 70kph and the some steeper rutted corners and washboards to sap your power and speed.

Ryan and I dropped the key off at the managers place and we were off into St Arnaud where we met up with Alf again.
It was 9pm by now and we were half way!
Ummm, only half way?
Bugger...

Marie was a bit worried about the Porika Track in the dark especially as Jim's eyes were swelling up from a wasp sting and Colin didn't have any thermals and I wasn't very confidant about surviving gravel in the dark for lots more hours so we decided to head off back to Nelson.
The rest of the hardy adventurers decided to push on especially when Ryan found that the Murch petrol station had an after-hours pump.

Colin lead off with me following and Jim and Marie bringing up the rear.
We stopped by the side of the road when we lost the BMW's lights for a while and when they caught up I lead off which was not as much fun as following someone with good lights and as we got closer to Nelson I got faster as I started recognising things.

Seems like the boys got through the Porika and Braeburn tracks OK but a bit slower than expected and then Alf punctured again (must be something rubbing on the inside of the tirewall) and they decided to pull the pin.
Alf stayed the night in Murch and the rest headed back to Nelson getting in about 2am.

We all met up at Lambrettas in town for brunch and bullshit and as Jenni and I pulled up just as Pete was pulling off his helmet we saw Colin had already cleaned the KTM, but it didn't look right beside the obviously hard ridden BM and DR :D

Much was eaten, much was drunk, much was said but as much was drunk, I don't remember much of it :(

Cheers guys!
We've smacked the first cheek and after a gap we'll take a crack at the other one.

Transalper
14th March 2007, 21:56
Nice report... couple of things... it was actually 6pm at Hamner not 5pm. By 6pm we should have been passing Murcheson for the second time having already visited Springs Junction.
You've swapped Colin for Ryan when you left St Anuard..."Ryan lead off with me following and Jim and Marie bringing up the rear."
All good otherwise.

cooneyr
15th March 2007, 07:02
Was thinking this is bad - they finally managed to clone me! Pitty the world there is two of me! :innocent:

Cheers R

Zukin
17th March 2007, 09:38
Does anyone else have any pics?
Otherwise Nordieboy wins the BBQ?

NordieBoy
17th March 2007, 12:37
Can it be here by dinnertime?

Zukin
17th March 2007, 13:06
Can it be here by dinnertime?

Yep no problems :yes:

Dinner time next Sunday

NordieBoy
17th March 2007, 17:20
But I'm hungry now :(

Transalper
20th March 2007, 16:54
Jeeezzzz, just watching the Race to Dakar.... it makes our little one day trip look rather pathetic. They like do our trip over and over with sweet f-all sleep, early starts and much much rougher tracks. I'm enjoying this DVD much more than the Long way round, and am iching to get out with all my new hindsight and go again.

Zukin
20th March 2007, 18:31
Jeeezzzz, just watching the Race to Dakar.... it makes our little one day trip look rather pathetic. They like do our trip over and over with sweet f-all sleep, early starts and much much rougher tracks. I'm enjoying this DVD much more than the Long way round, and am iching to get out with all my new hindsight and go again.

Where can you get this from?
I have been looking for it everywhere!

Cheers Scott

cooneyr
20th March 2007, 19:19

Can I borrow the DVD some time - please please please????

The whole 1000km in one go this time?

Cheers R

NordieBoy
20th March 2007, 20:34
I got it off BitTorrent.

Transalper
20th March 2007, 22:26
I bought it here at Real Groovy for $45 (http://www.realgroovy.co.nz/dvds/search/title?searchstring=race+to+dakar). It's 2 DVDs including 7 episodes of the TV series ( I don't think its been here yet) and a bunch of extras like the crash reel, outtakes, epic montage (havent watched that yet), footage of the bike build, an interview and photo gallery.

I'd love to have another go at the whole 1000km, but would have to approach it a little more selfishly (if you're ahead of me and broken down i'd help, if you're behind then hopefully someone else can help, also i'd only stop when i was ready for a stop) and with better food and nights sleep before. Sorry BusaJim you'll have to leave the Magicfairy off your back seat if you seriously intend to finish the whole 1000km trip in one day next time. Nordie, you said you were not totally comfortable on shingle and were indeed quite easy to catch up to in places so keep up the practice.
We'll also need a little more good luck in the Flat Tyre department and as for my (J's DR650) headlight issue, it looks to have been the wires in the headlight plug getting knocked about, it's been fine ever since the Murchison adjustment.

Now it's just a pity the Molsworth is closed until the end of December, so we need a new route for winter R !!!
Oh well, i guess doing the second cheek last 500km in a good time, say 9 hours, or even 8 hours since it will probably be daylight the whole way, will have to do for now.

magicfairy
21st March 2007, 06:27
Sorry BusaJim you'll have to leave the Magicfairy off your back seat if you seriously intend to finish the whole 1000km trip in one day next time.

LOL - I already told him once was enough and the next one he is doing on his own - I'll do a "Not so Dusty Butt" on my road bike. And meet up in civilization somewhere.
Sitting on the back, with only Jims arse for a view, whilst roaring up the Managatapu, in the dark...I don't mind missing that.

We'll save the 2up for the more leisurely and shorter Adventures.

Transalper
21st March 2007, 08:06
Would have been a great scenic trip with a few more keen attendees if we had two days and accommodation half way at St Arnaud waiting for us.
Careful magic, you run the risk of being loaded up with food, drink, shelter and spare parts then being called a two wheeled support fairy:whistle:

I'm thinking we do the whole thing, same route again when the Molsworth AND Rainbow are open. We would have no gate key issues then, down side is could be more traffic.
Roll on the second half...:calm:

cooneyr
21st March 2007, 08:46
Would have been a great scenic trip with a few more keen attendees if we had two days and accommodation half way at St Arnaud waiting for us.......

I also agree but I've done all parts of the route before so would rather go somewhere else for the scenic rides.

........I'm thinking we do the whole thing, same route again when the Molsworth AND Rainbow are open. We would have no gate key issues then, down side is could be more traffic.
Roll on the second half...:calm:

Next time I do the route it will be when they are both open and I'll be hanging it out. I really want to see If I can do the 1000km in a day. Minimal stops and fast as possible.

Cheers R