PDA

View Full Version : Fuel-tank vent

elle-f
23rd January 2007, 17:27
if that were clogged would it cause my bike to go through petrol really quickly? I am only getting about 90kms per tank but its meant to do double that. and how much of a job is that to fix?

thanks in advance

Elle

surfer
23rd January 2007, 17:42
if that were clogged would it cause my bike to go through petrol really quickly? I am only getting about 90kms per tank but its meant to do double that. and how much of a job is that to fix?

thanks in advance

Elle

My understanding is that your fuel tank vent is there to stop a vacumn forming in your tank which would prevent the fuel from flowing as it is gravity fed (usually) into the carbs.

What kind of bike do you have?
Did you notice the consumption change or have you read something that would indicate that your bike should do more?
What kind of consumtion are you getting now?

surfer
23rd January 2007, 17:46
Ooops, assuming it is the bike on your profile and the tank is doing 90km this does seem a bit on the low side. How many ks to the litre is that?

Have you checked for a petrol leak? If you have a leak you should smell the petol.

Is your bike locked up at night? Is someone likely to be helping themselves to your petrol, you never know.

Still like to know whether you have noticed the consumption change.

Trudes
23rd January 2007, 18:15
It's cause you're a hoon!

elle-f
23rd January 2007, 19:31
*Gasps* i am NOT a hoon MrsK. I stick to the speed limit like a good girl should!

What kind of bike do you have?
I have a Yamaha Radian600

Did you notice the consumption change or have you read something that would indicate that your bike should do more?
I spoke to a Motorcycle mechanic and he thought it might be the o-rings and the carbs needed cleaning but i asked a second opinion and that other fella said something about the thingy clogged! i forgot the title now *L* I asked because it was just really odd that i could hardly get more than 100kms from a tank - 18 bucks from empty - the red stuff!

What kind of consumtion are you getting now?
During the weekend from the tank it was 90kms BUT admittedly i was going a bit faster due to the speedy people i was with who were going over the speed limit and i was trying to catch them to tell them NOT to!

Ixion
23rd January 2007, 19:36
No, a blocked fuel vent will not cause excessive fuel consumption.Like as not your carburettors are worn out.

elle-f
23rd January 2007, 20:43
Thanks for that. Let's hope its not too expensive

surfer
24th January 2007, 14:41
Just a thought you might want to check your oil as well.

If the level has gone up or if the oil feels gritty and thin then you have petrol leaking into the engine through the carbs. In which case you should change the oil as this will place lots of wear on the engine and if left uncheked will eventually seize (been there and almost done that).

Change the oil and the oil filter, sort out the carbs.

yungatart
24th January 2007, 15:04
It will be the weight of that custom shield that you have on there- causes waaay too much drag and markedly alters the aerodynamics, and therefore the fuel consumption of your trusty steed.....

davereid
24th January 2007, 17:06
Do a proper service - spend some money and get it right ;

1 - Balance the carbs this will make a great difference
2 - New aircleaner, bike will lean out
3 - New oil and filter (try a motorcycle specific synthetic like Total 4T or a 20-50 diesel rated oil)
4 - New plugs, spend an extra $ and get iridium ones
5 - check fuel filter

You bike should do 200km before reserve, if it not leaking, its going through the engine !

Neat bikes them yamahas,

Jantar
24th January 2007, 18:22
It definitiely needs to be sorted before you come down south. Its more than 90 kim between fuel stops in many places. :yes:

elle-f
25th January 2007, 05:53
Actually ya know Jantar - that might not be a bad idea heading off down South

elle-f
25th January 2007, 05:54
It will be the weight of that custom shield that you have on there- causes waaay too much drag and markedly alters the aerodynamics, and therefore the fuel consumption of your trusty steed.....

HAHA That shield - is kinda light. I know it looks incredibly flash and ironlike - but it's not ya know! I think last night there were many people trying to steal it too. They will all deny it and some might even say they didn't notice it!