PDA

View Full Version : Paekakariki Hill road

Panther
24th January 2007, 12:18
Just went for a blat over the Paekakariki hill, and i have to say it's one of the most fun and close roads to have a thrash on.
I find the 250 way more fun on this road than the 600.
I can flick over the 250 with a whole lot more ease than lugging the heavy 600 around the road.
then there is the added excitement of cages on the wrong side of the road cos they can't drive/take corners.
what an awesome way to start the day!!

merv
24th January 2007, 12:26
I find any bike fun on this road being one of my local roads and all.

Panther
24th January 2007, 12:29
there was a pig on the road today, i was surprised i assumed they would only go around the bottom, what are they gonna catch going up the hill?

Beemer
24th January 2007, 12:32
there was a pig on the road today, i was surprised i assumed they would only go around the bottom, what are they gonna catch going up the hill?

Since they lowered the speed limit to 80 (or is it 70?), you often find cops patrolling this road. Probably the boasts of some on this site that they can do the road at about 180 didn't help.

Grub
24th January 2007, 12:50
I commute this road twice a day - I obviously pleased the gods once.

There are 157 corners between Grays Rd in the south and the stop sign on SH1 at Paekakariki, a journey of 11.1km's. That's
- 14.1 corners per km, or
- a corner every 70.7 meters

My definition of a "corner" for counting purposes (from remaining on the correct side of the carriageway)
- Requires a movement from or through the vertical
- cannot be taken by straight-lining it
- A two-radius corner where you don't come vertical at some point in it is one corner, not two
- A two-radius corner where you *do* come vertical at some point in it is two corners, not one

Who cares ... it's just a barrell of fun and does gangbusters for your riding. I am past trying to do it at light-speed and now work on holding a constant speed (80kmh) for the whole road. That's not quite possible as rthere's one 25 and one 35kmh corner but man it focusses the mind and hones your techo skills.

Other KBers I know of who do the same thing are RG100! and Sparky Bills from Motomart who do it north-south. There are others I'm sure, lets hope we don't "meet".

Brett

Panther
24th January 2007, 16:44
yes it'd be awesome to take it 80kms through those tight little turns but i think i'd end up in the bushes/off the edge!
one time my bike broke down and i counted 10 different bikes that went past, no one stopped either :(

Sparky Bills
24th January 2007, 16:49
Gotta love the hill!!

Cant say enough about it!:Punk:

Sparky Bills
24th January 2007, 16:50
Speaking of which....

Im heading over there in about 5mins!:innocent:
Nice dry, warm piekok hill road!

cowpoos
24th January 2007, 16:57
Speaking of which....

Im heading over there in about 5mins!:innocent:
Nice dry, warm piekok hill road!
on a honda!! be a slow safe trip home eh!

Coyote
24th January 2007, 17:29
It might be slower, but at least it won't fall to peices along the way

cowpoos
24th January 2007, 17:33
It might be slower, but at least it won't fall to peices along the way
that hurt bro....that hurt :(

Coyote
24th January 2007, 17:39
that hurt bro....that hurt :(
Sorry bro

But like, the other day when I had finished riding the RG ended up like this: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51722&d=1169501204

merv
24th January 2007, 17:42
OK CFWB reckons the new 800 MotoGP Suzuki is just the gears but while we are talking about Hondas being slow let me see Mr Poos, how many Grand Prix championships have Suzuki won since KRJR won in 2000? Oh yeah it wasn't many was it, and Honda won how many? Really that many, that's a lot in comparison eh! Divide Honda number by Suzuki number and the answer is infinity being that they have been infinitely better. Is there much else to say?

cowpoos
24th January 2007, 17:46
Sorry bro

But like, the other day when I had finished riding the RG ended up like this: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51722&d=1169501204
thats why you only keep them to the warrenty runs out!!

Coyote
24th January 2007, 17:55
...Is there much else to say?
Yeah. They suck

Jokes. All the Honda's I've had have been great bikes. I wouldn't mind getting a VFR400 sometime this year

merv
24th January 2007, 18:00
Yeah. They suck

...yeah a lot of air down their intakes and turn it into raw power!!

Hitcher
24th January 2007, 18:25
Ahh. The Goat Track of Death. Frosty knows all about it...

Panther
24th January 2007, 18:50
stilllll awesome!

Coyote
24th January 2007, 20:10
Akatarawa road is the goatiest of all goat tracks

R6_kid
24th January 2007, 20:16
macktheknife had me fully bracing myself in the passenger seat as he got his little Mitsi RVR goin full tit over that hill with the tyres squeeling... probably the most scared i've been in a while.

Apparently mikey did a similar job on texmo, rumour has it that it is the first time texmo has actually really feared for his life.

cowpoos
24th January 2007, 20:36
OK CFWB reckons the new 800 MotoGP Suzuki is just the gears but while we are talking about Hondas being slow let me see Mr Poos, how many Grand Prix championships have Suzuki won since KRJR won in 2000? Oh yeah it wasn't many was it, and Honda won how many? Really that many, that's a lot in comparison eh! Divide Honda number by Suzuki number and the answer is infinity being that they have been infinitely better. Is there much else to say?
shame honda don't put that sorta money into making road bikes...and BTW there ain't many people worldwide that privateer race honda's in the main classes...think there might be a reason for that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ to make the blessid machines fast!!! coz HRC shit ain't cheap...and hondas ain't fast stock!!

Hawkeye
24th January 2007, 20:47
shame honda don't put that sorta money into making road bikes...and BTW there ain't many people worldwide that privateer race honda's in the main classes...think there might be a reason for that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ to make the blessid machines fast!!! coz HRC shit ain't cheap...and hondas ain't fast stock!!

What do you mean, not fast stock! My CBX does 0-100 in at least 2 mins and if I push it, I can get it up to 120 down hill with a tail wind. Slow.... Ph!

cowpoos
24th January 2007, 20:54
What do you mean, not fast stock! My CBX does 0-100 in at least 2 mins and if I push it, I can get it up to 120 down hill with a tail wind. Slow.... Ph!
good point....I reckon I could get it up to atleast 200mph if I throw it out of a plane with a rocket mounted on the back of it [suzuki power rocket of course] ;)

Hawkeye
24th January 2007, 21:06
I commute this road twice a day - I obviously pleased the gods once.

There are 157 corners between Grays Rd in the south and the stop sign on SH1 at Paekakariki, a journey of 11.1km's. That's
- 14.1 corners per km, or
- a corner every 70.7 meters

My definition of a "corner" for counting purposes (from remaining on the correct side of the carriageway)
- Requires a movement from or through the vertical
- cannot be taken by straight-lining it
- A two-radius corner where you don't come vertical at some point in it is one corner, not two
- A two-radius corner where you *do* come vertical at some point in it is two corners, not one

Who cares ... it's just a barrell of fun and does gangbusters for your riding. I am past trying to do it at light-speed and now work on holding a constant speed (80kmh) for the whole road. That's not quite possible as rthere's one 25 and one 35kmh corner but man it focusses the mind and hones your techo skills.

Other KBers I know of who do the same thing are R100! and Martin from Motomart who do it north-south. There are others I'm sure, lets hope we don't "meet".

Brett

Hold on a minute. 80kph. Even I can do that on the CBX. Mental note to myself - give Pikak hill priority next time I'm out for a blast...

Panther
24th January 2007, 21:57
i reckon its under rated....its half an hour from all the cool places (like levin) and with that amount of corners packed into that much road...
did i mention the cages that cut blind corners?
:Punk:

riffer
24th January 2007, 22:16

Yep. There's nothing like watching a good mate do the inverted starfish up the road straight towards the cliff to give you a respect for the road again.

Tell you what though, the next time he went over that road he was all over it like a rash - I gave up trying to keep up... :yes:

Panther
24th January 2007, 22:28
does any one have pics?

merv
25th January 2007, 07:30
Hold on a minute. 80kph. Even I can do that on the CBX. Mental note to myself - give Pikak hill priority next time I'm out for a blast...

You've only got to do 70 from Battle Hill as that's all its posted at from there.

Hitcher
25th January 2007, 07:45
Tell you what though, the next time he went over that road he was all over it like a rash - I gave up trying to keep up...

It's amazing how well somebody else's bike can perform...

Deano
25th January 2007, 07:49
Paekak Hill used to be my favourite bit of road. Not anymore - I must be getting old but I don't like cars crossing into my lane when there is bugger all room to move.

You just don't get anywhere near the number of lane crossers on the Taka's - maybe because of the trucks that use the road a well.

You're a broken record mate. How's my trailer ?

DEATH_INC.
25th January 2007, 07:52
I've done it in a 4wd mitsi van and a landcruiser.....one day I'll get up enough courage to do it on a bike.......:shutup:

Riff Raff
25th January 2007, 07:54
I've done it in a 4wd mitsi van and a landcruiser.....one day I'll get up enough courage to do it on a bike.......:shutup:
You had bikes on a trailer when you went over - should've jumped on one of them while Draco drove!!!!!!

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 08:10
You're a broken record mate. How's my trailer ?

whats this MY bussiness...lol..well...the trailer....is on the side of my driveway coz the frickin wheel fell off about !km from me house on the way back from auckland on tuesday...but it'll be all fixed and good for your pie-rower outting...be sweet mate!

u wanted the gen too? anything else?

Deano
25th January 2007, 08:54
whats this MY bussiness...lol..well...the trailer....is on the side of my driveway coz the frickin wheel fell off about !km from me house on the way back from auckland on tuesday...but it'll be all fixed and good for your pie-rower outting...be sweet mate!

u wanted the gen too? anything else?

Cool mate - no need for the gennie though - will make sure my tyre pressures and battery are all good before I leave.

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 08:56
Cool mate - no need for the gennie though - will make sure my tyre pressures and battery are all good before I leave.
sweet....take it ya don't want to borrow the warmers either then...

skelstar
25th January 2007, 09:01
....its half an hour from all the cool places (like levin)...
Lets face it, anywhere half an hour out of Levin is pretty cool...

Panther
25th January 2007, 10:00
no where is far enough away

KLOWN
25th January 2007, 10:20
i just may have a go at this road, I have never heard of it and I live in palmy so i'm assuming its not too far away from me. Can anyone give me more specifics on where it is?

skelstar
25th January 2007, 10:28
When you ride through Paekakariki (heading South) you'll pass the Railway Station (on your right) and its the lefthand turn just before the Service Station. You'll end up at Pauahatanui on the Pauahatanui Inlet.

limbimtimwim
25th January 2007, 11:12
shame honda don't put that sorta money into making road bikes...and BTW there ain't many people worldwide that privateer race honda's in the main classes...think there might be a reason for that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ to make the blessid machines fast!!! coz HRC shit ain't cheap...and hondas ain't fast stock!!Okay, I'll bite. http://www.msttiming.com/sbkpoints.asp?table=63904ptssbk&round=round13.gif

Honda dominates British Superbike. Despite Ducati winning the most points :)

Panther
25th January 2007, 11:30
i just may have a go at this road, I have never heard of it and I live in palmy so i'm assuming its not too far away from me. Can anyone give me more specifics on where it is?

you know where all the accidents are down the bottom along the foreshore and they've put up that wire barrier and a speed camera and you're only allowed to do 80....well its the alternate road to that, up the top

http://encounter.kapiticoast.govt.nz/pdfs/map11.pdf

Deano
25th January 2007, 11:48
sweet....take it ya don't want to borrow the warmers either then...

Tyre warmers are for homos.......:shutup:

We leave our bikes in the sun before a race.....Piston Broke styles

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 12:08
Okay, I'll bite. http://www.msttiming.com/sbkpoints.asp?table=63904ptssbk&round=round13.gif

Honda dominates British Superbike. Despite Ducati winning the most points :)
them bikes hav massive $$$$$$$$ backing...and are full of ten kate and hrc bits and bobs....wsbk and bsb bikes are almost same spec

merv
25th January 2007, 12:28
them bikes hav massive $$$$$$$$ backing...and are full of ten kate and hrc bits and bobs....wsbk and bsb bikes are almost same spec

Unlike the Ducatis and Suzukis that are just rolled off the show room floors, have their lights taped up and are raced in BSB, AMA, WSB and MotoGP. The new Suzuki MotoGP 800 has the Boulevard V twin engine putting out around 60hp and is going to kick butt, Hopkins, a distant relative of Mr Poos from the Yrapa, has been quoted as saying "just see what I could do if I had a real bike like Hayden has".

Last seen they had all given up in disgust and had gone towards Mangatainoka looking for those hot chicks and some Tui beer muttering "yeah right!!" to themselves.

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 12:41
Unlike the Ducatis and Suzukis that are just rolled off the show room floors, have their lights taped up and are raced in BSB, AMA, WSB and MotoGP. The new Suzuki MotoGP 800 has the Boulevard V twin engine putting out around 60hp and is going to kick butt, Hopkins, a distant relative of Mr Poos from the Yrapa, has been quoted as saying "just see what I could do if I had a real bike like Hayden has".

Last seen they had all given up in disgust and had gone towards Mangatainoka looking for those hot chicks and some Tui beer muttering "yeah right!!" to themselves.
lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do feel like a tui now....hmm

what I was meaning was privateers as in what makes up the bulk of club racing and mid pack national racing in NZ and else where... there was a bloke...can't remeber his name...big fella...died a lil bit ago...took a stock gsxr1000k1 out on the IOMTT practise laps and did a 123mph lap...STOCK BIKE!! ;)

SPman
25th January 2007, 12:42
Its a great road - just got to be a little careful, 's all.

Oh well, I can still look at it on Google earth...:angry:

Deano
25th January 2007, 12:55
what I was meaning was privateers as in what makes up the bulk of club racing and mid pack national racing in NZ and else where... there was a bloke...can't remeber his name...big fella...died a lil bit ago...took a stock gsxr1000k1 out on the IOMTT practise laps and did a 123mph lap...STOCK BIKE!! ;)

Just because Honda doesn't choose to make the fastest road bike.........the road ain't a race track bro.

Did you beat Rob Jackson anywhere last year ? :shutup:

merv
25th January 2007, 13:00

Yeah just joking, know what you mean. Are you talking about David Jefferies? IOM is a bit different in that they race Production Superbike as well as modifieds don't they? Anstey won the Production race didn't he a few times - they seem to call it Superstock now. Here's his IOM record http://www.iomtt.com/TTDatabase/Races.aspx?meet_code=ALL&ride_id=4310

In the end the issue is down to sponsorship isn't it - if Suzuki sell more cheap bikes and they are fast and they support guys racing them then they do race them. That seems to be the pattern as Suzuki have had sharp pricing for years.

p.s. Honda gave Kenny Roberts engines, that was pretty decent of them eh!

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 13:03
Did you beat Rob Jackson anywhere last year ? :shutup:

nope...probally more the rider at fault in that case...dispite him having a ex jared love fireblade with shit loads of HRC gear in it...and 190cc more....but he did get learnt by a certian rider on a 600 suzuki...totally learnt!!

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 13:14
Yeah just joking, know what you mean. Are you talking about David Jefferies? IOM is a bit different in that they race Production Superbike as well as modifieds don't they? Anstey won the Production race didn't he a few times - they seem to call it Superstock now. Here's his IOM record http://www.iomtt.com/TTDatabase/Races.aspx?meet_code=ALL&ride_id=4310

yeah thats the bugga...and yeah this was in a practise....it was a stock bike...the production bikes have limited mods [suspension,few breathing mods etc] the one he rode even had a stock can

In the end the issue is down to sponsorship isn't it - if Suzuki sell more cheap bikes and they are fast and they support guys racing them then they do race them. That seems to be the pattern as Suzuki have had sharp pricing for years.

suzuki like all brands support there top riders in NZ [bar kawasaki i think]....in auz they suzuki hav started some sort of payment scheme for race results right down to club level...and I reckon pricing is really pretty similar in the grand scheme of costs... but as for the size of the company it is by far the smallest motorcycle company in japan...

p.s. Honda gave Kenny Roberts engines, that was pretty decent of them eh!

thats coz yamaha was winning and the feild would hav been smaller without lease loning engines...didn't yamaha do the same thing???

cowpoos
25th January 2007, 13:17
and just for the record....I acctually preffer kawasakis....with suzuki a close second!!!

Deano
25th January 2007, 13:20
nope...probally more the rider at fault in that case...dispite him having a ex jared love fireblade with shit loads of HRC gear in it...and 190cc more....but he did get learnt by a certian rider on a 600 suzuki...totally learnt!!

Didn't everybody....

Grub
26th January 2007, 22:52
Out of curiosity ... how did a Paekak Hill Rd thread become a MotoGP one?

Sparky Bills
26th January 2007, 23:02

Actually, on the CB it is rather slow. Too big and not enough ground clearence for that hill.
Still fun regardless.:innocent:

Panther
27th January 2007, 07:14
damn it all! its raining otherwise that hill would have been mine!