PDA

View Full Version : Big single in a RGV frame

Eddieb
2nd August 2004, 16:32
Just an idea thats been rattling around for a while.

Anyone know what would be involved from a legal/mechanical certification point of view in putting something like a RGV250 framed DR600 or similiar on the road.

I'm not in a position to do it now, but down the track if resources allowed I'd be very keen to give it a go. It sounds like fun

Powerwise the single would probably put out a little less than the RGV I would have thought. I don't know if that sort of thing is taken into consideration. It would be Torque galore in a tiny wheelbase.

pete376403
2nd August 2004, 17:49
I was (and still am) considering building a sidecar for my bike. It was suggested to me that joining the Constructors Car Club (yeah I know a car club) would be worthwhile, as they have a lot of resources in connection with certification. Certification from an engineers point of view is a minefield, as basically they are being asked to guarantee someone elses workmanship and so on, and probably be held responsibile if it goes wrong. Naturally, therefore, they are going to be (should be, anyway) extra finicky over every little thing. The CCC can get you onside with people who know what you can and can't get a way with, etc., before you start.

FROSTY
2nd August 2004, 17:53
there is one rattling round auckland somewhere -all legal beagle like. and another one sitting in Takinini wreckers all but finished waiting to have the final touches done

dangerous
2nd August 2004, 19:58
Well I cant answer your question off the cuff but a mate has 4 TZR250 framed super mono's with XT 550 motors and a SRX600 powered mungrel aswell only one is curently road worthy the others are race bikes.
So any questions you have I can ask him as hes well up with all this kinda info.

ps: he also had a Bimoto BB1 (BMW F650 motor) this bike is one bloody amazing single, what a weapon.

Badcat
2nd August 2004, 20:17

Anyone know what would be involved from a legal/mechanical certification point of view in putting something like a RGV250 framed DR600 or similiar on the road.

I'm not in a position to do it now, but down the track if resources allowed I'd be very keen to give it a go. It sounds like fun

Powerwise the single would probably put out a little less than the RGV I would have thought. I don't know if that sort of thing is taken into consideration. It would be Torque galore in a tiny wheelbase.

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/XRG660.html

thumperpage is brilliant - loads of resources, vendors and images.
last single i had was a 2001 ktm supermoto .
next one will be a mongrel like that i think...
k

geoffm
2nd August 2004, 22:05

you will have to get a cert for it, adn I don't know who can certify bikes. They must be around with some of the Harleys (well that is what they started life as) around.
Big problem you will have will be vibration shaking everything to bits, and cracking everything else.
I have seen this exact mod as a Singles racer, and it was a tidy job. New engine mounting frame and mounting plates, exhaust, etc.
There was also a yellow one in Leading Edge Tyres in Febuary getting new rubber. Road bits on it.
Geoff

Motu
2nd August 2004, 22:39
While I was on the thumper page I found this - um,it's quite big I think,like a 70mm inlet valve!

http://www.classic-motorrad.de/winni_2002/2l-bike/2literbike.htm

pete376403
2nd August 2004, 23:25
Go to http://www.lvvta.org.nz/ and check the pdf file of LVV certifiers. You're looking for someone who can certify class 2A and/or 2B

Kickaha
3rd August 2004, 10:40
While I was on the thumper page I found this - um,it's quite big I think,like a 70mm inlet valve!

http://www.classic-motorrad.de/winni_2002/2l-bike/2literbike.htm

Interesting,Pete Jones in Invercargill has plans to build a big single (1300cc I think) using a cylinder from a Lycoming plane engine,making his own crank etc and putting it in a RZ350 frame.

dangerous
3rd August 2004, 19:11
Interesting,Pete Jones in Invercargill has plans to build a big single (1300cc I think) using a cylinder from a Lycoming plane

How about the LANZ tractors with there 6L singles, weird sound them

grantman
3rd August 2004, 22:30
thumper page was interesting
seems like he got it right

Its funny how you have these idea's in your head

I always wanted to fit a CR500 motor into a NSR250 frame

thought that would be fun

Cheers

Rodders
4th August 2004, 01:46

I bought an 89 RGV 2 years ago which had a Yamaha SRX600 engine in it. It was in bits so I reassembled the engine and fixed up the engine mounts and tidied a few things up - Mine was (sold just before) the yellow one seen at Cycletreads. It hadn't been registered so I got it certified by a guy from West Auckland -very helpful $250 yhen it was just a case of getting it vinned and a WOF. You should be able to find out from LTSA, ON ROAD or VTNZ of any low volume vehicle certifiers in Wellington.
It was alot of fun to ride - handled well kept up with everyting in the twisties, sounded great with a loudish custom made stainless/carbon exhaust system. Incredibly economical -29km/l at 120km/h. Bit heavier than 250 but loads of tourque. People have put all sorts into the RGV frame - you will need to change the front springs to suit the extra weight.
Good Luck. I'm putting an RG500 engine into a 92 RGV frame at the moment - not to many around so should be unique!!
Let me know if you have any questions!!