PDA

View Full Version : Car wreckers?

SwanTiger
24th January 2007, 16:03
How many of you buy or have bought used parts from a wrecker?

If you were aware of a wrecking service which had an inventory of parts, or if your local workshop mechanic who perhaps was working on your car suggested it, would you give more consideration to a used part than a new part?

Please provide your comments, PM if you want me to elaborate on my reasons.

If any of you own, operate or work in mechanical workshops, I would apreciate your comments more so.

Essentially I am testing the water before I pay two arms and a testicle for a marketing research company to find the facts I want.

I will reward your participation with Green Rep and for a select few an engrossing hug where your face is pressed firmly against my man tits (refer to avatar image).

The Stranger
24th January 2007, 16:10
How many of you buy or have bought used parts from a wrecker?

If you were aware of a wrecking service which had an inventory of parts, or if your local workshop mechanic who perhaps was working on your car suggested it, would you give more consideration to a used part than a new part?

Please provide your comments, PM if you want me to elaborate on my reasons.

What parts are you talking about man?
I buy parts from wreckers not infrequently, however it depends on the part.

Used clutch anyone? what about used piston rings?
Surely it would have to depend on the part in question. If it's a big job to replace the part I tend new, if the part is not subject to much wear, or easily re-replaced I tend second hand - if the price is right.

Do I get to hug your man tits????

The Stranger
24th January 2007, 16:13

Surely it would have to depend on the part in question. If it's a big job to replace the part I tend new, if the part is not subject to much wear, or easily re-replaced I tend second hand - if the price is right.

Damn, I am slow.
So you are going into business. You collect all the cars Skidmark wrecks and make a profit selling them for parts - should keep you in business for a while I expect.

SwanTiger
24th January 2007, 16:14

Any parts at all, off the top of my head (the one with hair) I'd say lights, windscreen, panels, engine parts, radiator, ignition, etc.

Thanks for your participation!

Disco Dan
24th January 2007, 16:15
You collect all the cars Skidmark wrecks and make a profit selling them for parts - should keep you in business for a while I expect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonny Rotten
24th January 2007, 16:16
it depends on what the part is a head light,tail light,alternator,body pannels... engine's,brake calipers.....all depends on the condition of the part and if it was through a machnic id hope they would check that the part was in good working order before using it....... got my windscreen from strong for honda cost me 100 bucks versus the 600 bucks i was quoted for a new one...you do the math

SwanTiger
24th January 2007, 16:19
Damn, I am slow.
So you are going into business. You collect all the cars Skidmark wrecks and make a profit selling them for parts - should keep you in business for a while I expect.
Correct.

Yep, so long as there are woman drivers and Mark has a license I'll be in business.

onearmedbandit
24th January 2007, 16:22
Obviously depends on the parts. Also it would be of more benefit to those with older cars that are not covered by any manufacturers or aftermarket warranty, like old 323's, Telstar's, Falcons etc.

crashe
24th January 2007, 16:22
Depends on what part you want/need.

I once upon a time had a 1973 Toyota........
I needed a indicator cover as the original one was broken....

Anyways I rung a wrecker = $20
I then run Toyota on Lincoln Rd = $8 brand new

Huh !

So I ordered the new one.
Arrived overnight from Palmerston North.

So why would I buy the second hand one when I could get a new one for under half the wreckers price.

But now in saying that........ I always let my fingers do the walking.
Ring wreckers, Repco and the car model distributors to see what prices each three will charge.

Beemer
24th January 2007, 16:24
Oi, watch the woman drivers cracks - or I'll thump you!

My husband often checks out wreckers for parts for his older cars/bikes. Especially if he has to pay for them himself - not an insurance job. So if there was an inventory rather than having to ring them all up and try to hunt down parts he needs, I'd say he'd be as keen as mustard.

ManDownUnder
24th January 2007, 16:26

You may not hug my man... and please stop calling me tits.

Re the 2nd hand parts. I'll buy anything non wearing from 2nd hand... engine mounts, wheel rims etc. If there is a significant price drop on wearing parts and they're not hard to replace (coil etc) then yes,

Otherwise new probably

Motu
24th January 2007, 16:54
I replied to your PM,but here is more.I use maybe 25% used parts,stuff that is not stocked and very expensive from dealers.Things like lamps,window regulators and motors,wiper mechanisms,mirrors,window switches etc.I want competance on the phone - ''Yes we have it,it's on it's way''....and I have it in my hand less than 2 hours later.I don't want an exhaust manifold delivered at 4.00pm,that's too late to get the job out the door.Most of my customers want to pick their car up the same day - I want to order all my parts for the day before 10.00am,and I want them all delivered before 12.00.

imdying
24th January 2007, 17:00
Motor Parts Data has the New Zealand market pretty well sewn up for that... they've been at it about 10 years now, started with magazines, now online as well.

imdying
24th January 2007, 17:02
Obviously depends on the parts. Also it would be of more benefit to those with older cars that are not covered by any manufacturers or aftermarket warranty, like old 323's, Telstar's, Falcons etc.Not necessarily so... try finding out who in NZ has an electric seat for a 92 Toyota Soarer :lol:

-df-
24th January 2007, 17:07
I generally always use parts from a wreaker for my car, unless its things like engine internals, but have purchased engines before without problems and been happy.

Also depends on price, if I'm only saving a few dollars then its not worth it. I generally think...how long does this part last for and use that to weigh up whether to purchase new or second hand.

Motu
24th January 2007, 17:10
Strong Bros have set the NZ standard for over 20 years,they changed wreckers to dismantlers.Check out their opperation,as someone who uses second hand parts daily,no one comes near them.

SwanTiger
24th January 2007, 17:34
Strong Bros have set the NZ standard for over 20 years,they changed wreckers to dismantlers.Check out their opperation,as someone who uses second hand parts daily,no one comes near them.
Strong are definitely the primary player in the dismantling industry, for now.

yungatart
24th January 2007, 17:39
We have put used parts in all our vehicles - last one from memory was something to do with the aircon in my Holden, my mechanic looks after me, and wouldn't put a second hand part in if it looked dodgy. I trust his judgement and he stands by what he says - you can't ask fairer than that, now can you?

El Dopa
24th January 2007, 18:00
Enough of this car stuff, who's good for bikes?

I want:

1) Online searching.
2) Up to date inventory.
3) A centralised database for the whole country.

I'm not interested in phoning 20 wreckers in NZ only to be told 20 times that they don't have it. I want to search online, then phone the one that does have it.