PDA

View Full Version : Glen’s Ruapuna Nats Report

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 18:04
Glen’s Ruapuna Nats Report

Yeeha!

What a weekend aye!!

Ruapuna is an awesome track. So much more technical than Manfeild, and not very fun to learn to race on in the wet!!

Practice 1: Saturday

I got out in the front trying to find some people to show me around the track. Nail it out of the dummy grid and come into turn one for the first time, I decided to follow a bright yellow bike (Yellows makes everything faster, so thought I better follow him) So anyway, we come into turn one, Wow, this corner is a lot tighter than what I was expecting, it really caught me out quite bad! It must of really caught the guy in front of me out too, as about mid turn, im now watching his bike go sliding down the track!! Wow, what a great introduction to the track!!
The race was red flagged so we went back into the dummy grid, and waited for the bike to be removed from the track. As we were sitting there, the heavens opened, and drenched the track for us. Great. I don’t do so great in the wet!! Never mind shit happens.
Got back out there, realized its gonna take a while to learn this track. Sorta muffed about, got passed by a few guys. Got 8th in that practice. Not the best, but plenty of room to improve

Practice 2: Saturday

It was still wet, but I had sat down in-between races and thought about what I needed to do improve.
I felt a lot smoother, and felt like I had improved a fair amount. Starting to get the hang of the track now.
Unfortunately, the bike that I was riding had a known fueling issue. And it came to rear its ugly head in this practice. About half was down the straight the bike would loose power, as if it was running out of fuel. Bugger
Got back in. I had improved my times by 3seconds a lap, but so had every other bugger, so still in 8th

Race 1: Saturday

Thankfully, the track had dried out, so I was really wired up for this race.
As known I had qualified 8th, so I had to start from 8th place. Hmmm.
Never mind.
Get out in the warm up lap, went hard and got my tires nice and warm, was the first to the grid.
Took ages to get all 40 bikes into there grid positions.
Anyways, after a year or so, the red flag is taken out and the lights come up. I held the bike full pin. WTF!! The damn thing revved up to 10k, then just started spluttering and dropped down to 6k.
Lights go out, and I get swamped. The bike sortta spluttered away, then came right(ish) I was back in around 14th for the first turn. Hmm, not pretty!
I passed about 4 guys at turn one, under brakes. Far out!!. 2 passed me back down the back straight. Through the kink, flat out yee haa! Coming into the hairpin, Everyone leaves the door WIDE open on the inside!! A bit of a heroic braking maneuver up the inside got me up 6 places in one move. Nuts!
The next turn I came into a bit hot, and the front end said C-ya later. Managed to stand it up before the inevitable low slide. Into the grass. Look behind me, the guys are a little way behind, keep it pinned, NEVER give up my motto. Back onto the track. Sweet. Got off the hook on that screw-up! Followed a couple of guys through the rest of the track, till the dipper. Where they all looked like they were stopping!! What are you doing!! You can rail the dipper…. Its got so much chamber!! So I slingshot it past them. The dipper is an awesome corner on the 150. As it has SO much chamber, you can carry so much speed through it peg down. The KR I was riding had a funny rear tyre on it, and when peg sliding, it would like to start moving around the track, so as I’m coming out of the dipper, over the crest, the back wheel would ever so lightly drift sideways out of the corner. It felt great!! In the end, I started using the sliding to help me, as the rear tyre re-gripped, it would help me flick the bike over, preparing for the faster left hander after it!! Gotta love that corner!!
So anyway, I get into second place, but by that time, first place had buggered off completely!!
Had a bit of a play with third place, he would pass me down the front straight each lap, then I would pass him back at either turn 1 or the hairpin! Great fun!!
Second overall, with a 1:59 laptime

Scrub In: Sunday

Used this to get a feel for the track before the race… pretty boring, just setting up reference points and brake markers for myself.

Race 2: Sunday

Once again, I went fairly hard in warm up… I wanted to get a nice amount of heat into my tyres.
We grid up, which was a lot faster than Saturdays effort, then I try my bike on full throttle again. Nope its still gonna splutter and slowly die. So what I tried, what leave the throttle off, and hope, that I would be able to match the lights a rev it at just the right time. Haha, I wish! Bogged it down as the lights went past and got monstered off the start. Damn. The Fuel issue was still there
Ahh well, I put my head down and get to it. Past three or four guys at turn one, then another 4-5 at the hair pin. 1 at the dipper, which put me into second. I could see 1st place ahead of me, and really tried to catch him. I was faster through all the right hand turns, (My home track, is a predominantly right hand track vs. Ruapuna, which is a lefty) and just as fast through the slower left hand turns, but, he was a rocket through the sweeper. ( and the straight in comparison to my bike) On lap 3 I see his bike leaving the track, just as I was coming out of turn one. He had run off through the kink. Bugger. I though maybe he had a moment and went off, but as he didn’t come back onto the track, I figured it was a mechanical fault, which it was I found out later, it was
Anyways, due to his misfortune, I won that race, and got enough points to put me in front of him to take the win for the weekend!!
How much fun was that.
1:58.1 was my fastest time VS his 1:55. He’s got skill.

Pretty good weekend, I wish I had some more track time, as with only 20 laps, its hard to get to lap record pace, and on a problematic bike.

Thanks to Pete Jones for the bike, wouldn’t have been able to compete with out it. Cheers heaps mate
No thanks to Andy, for the super gay birthday hug…. Poofter

And thanks to SNIPER, for putting us up for the nights!! Totally awesome man!!

And finally, THANK YOU so much to the Victoria Motorcycle Club for helping me and paying for my entry fee. It was such a help, and i would not have been able to afford it without thier help

Can’t wait till manfeild, I will be there on the 125GP… SO LOOK OUT, for #47, bright yellow.

Later

-Glen

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 18:15
The first photo of the weekend.

Thats me on the far right.

Panther
24th January 2007, 18:34
Well done, you'll be catching that guy next time!
hope ya get ya sprocketing sorted out on your yellow machine, c u at the track!!!

Buddha#81
24th January 2007, 18:49
The first photo of the weekend.

Thats me on the far right.

Strange I thought it was a homo riding that bike.:bye:

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 18:53
haha. Na spud.

There were a couple out there playing on FXRs though :p

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 18:58
Well done, you'll be catching that guy next time!
hope ya get ya sprocketing sorted out on your yellow machine, c u at the track!!!

Cheers Sall

You coming to the Minefeild Nats??

Skunk
24th January 2007, 19:13
Good stuff RG.

kiwifruit
24th January 2007, 19:16
well done that man! :rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 19:21
Cheers Guys :niceone:

Goblin
24th January 2007, 19:30
Top effort Glen! All the very best for the N.I. rounds. :headbang:

k14
24th January 2007, 19:33
Awesome stuff bro, was impressed. Will see ya at manfeild.

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 19:33
Cheers Goblin!!

I wont be doing Puke, Due to both $$$ and That i dont like that track 1 bit. It so bad, its not worth riding there.

But hey, that new reace track is only like 3 years away!!

MadDuck
24th January 2007, 19:38
Good on ya Glen

I just wish I had a camera when you picked up your trophy. The grin was worth capturing. Will watch your progress with interest

Sketchy_Racer
24th January 2007, 19:42
haha, yeah i was a pretty happy chappy when i got my cup!

Made my night :D

babyB
24th January 2007, 19:57
cool write up
way cool, way ta go and good on ya

JayRacer37
24th January 2007, 20:36
I wont be doing Puke, Due to both $$$ and That i dont like that track 1 bit. It so bad, its not worth riding there. the man rode like a deamon all weekend. hard to belive hs first dry lap of the track was the warm up lap for race one (a race he finished 2nd in, with all the local riders!!)

Glen, how can you say Puke's that bad when u've never seen it??
It is NOT as bad as often made out to be. The wall's can be close, but it's no worse then the wall at Higgin's, (thats an easy one to headbutt if you go straight-belive me....my back's never been the same-god bless Spool backprotectors) or the sweeper at Manfeild, or the wall out of the dipper or onto the front straight at Ruapuna. Actually, it would only be over the bump's in the middle of the mountain, where you will hit the wall if you crashed, that I would consider excessivly dangerous at Pukekohe. But then maybe I don't look or don't see the walls!! :done:

Panther
24th January 2007, 20:57
Cheers Sall

You coming to the Minefeild Nats??

Gaa depends when/how much/what bikes i have....
and i demand to be protected from a certain fourteen year old
and a certain guy who is liberal with his 'tomato sauce'

Goblin
24th January 2007, 21:01
Cheers Goblin!!

I wont be doing Puke, Due to both $$$ and That i dont like that track 1 bit. It so bad, its not worth riding there.

But hey, that new reace track is only like 3 years away!!

That's a shame dude. I'm sure a "whip 'round" to cover your costs would sort the $$$ side of it...you've shown more than enough talent, dedication and the right attitude to go far in racing here. I'd like to think KB would come to the party for you.
I'm going through my own personal battle with not liking Puke but I figure if I want to have a crack at the nats next year, I will just have to face the fear and give it my best shot. As Jay said, maybe its just a case of not seeing the walls. I found the tyre chicane at Taupo to be my fastest part of the track because everyone else seemed intimidated by the tyres where I just went balls out through there. It's all in the mind young grasshopper! ;)

Ivan
24th January 2007, 21:27
yip that tire wall was pretty close haha

I nota Armco fan heard of too many people getting paralyzed there

Sniper
25th January 2007, 07:47
Awesome write up man, well done!

ajturbo
25th January 2007, 08:51
I found the tyre chicane at Taupo to be my fastest part of the track because everyone else seemed intimidated by the tyres where I just went balls out through there. ;)

so balls out ya lost them???

Glen’s Ruapuna Nats Report

No thanks to Andy, for the super gay birthday hug…. Poofter

than's not what you said at the time dear:sunny:

And finally, THANK YOU so much to the Victoria Motorcycle Club for helping me and paying for my entry fee. It was such a help, and i would not have been able to afford it without thier help

Goblin
25th January 2007, 09:21
so balls out ya lost them???
Not lost...just misplaced.:blink:

Sketchy_Racer
25th January 2007, 18:14
the man rode like a deamon all weekend. hard to belive hs first dry lap of the track was the warm up lap for race one (a race he finished 2nd in, with all the local riders!!)

Glen, how can you say Puke's that bad when u've never seen it??
It is NOT as bad as often made out to be. The wall's can be close, but it's no worse then the wall at Higgin's, (thats an easy one to headbutt if you go straight-belive me....my back's never been the same-god bless Spool backprotectors) or the sweeper at Manfeild, or the wall out of the dipper or onto the front straight at Ruapuna. Actually, it would only be over the bump's in the middle of the mountain, where you will hit the wall if you crashed, that I would consider excessivly dangerous at Pukekohe. But then maybe I don't look or don't see the walls!! :done:

Cheers dude!

And cheers for the offer to try the Continetal tyre... :rockon:

As for puke, i dont like riding 100% on the Rumitakas, due to the armco (and cars), but I guess i would still be keen to try it out....

Cant see it being much fun on the 125... looks like a bit of a drag race. But, i could be (and probably am) Wrong

-Glen

k14
25th January 2007, 19:09
Cheers dude!

And cheers for the offer to try the Continetal tyre... :rockon:

As for puke, i dont like riding 100% on the Rumitakas, due to the armco (and cars), but I guess i would still be keen to try it out....

Cant see it being much fun on the 125... looks like a bit of a drag race. But, i could be (and probably am) Wrong

-Glen
Actually its quite fun on the 125. Just comes down to who's bravest on the brakes at the end of the back straight. Just keep going deeper and deeper till you crash, then go back one lap to that marker :Punk:

Coyote
25th January 2007, 19:21
Too many words

Brief summary of events?

Sketchy_Racer
25th January 2007, 19:23
Actually its quite fun on the 125. Just comes down to who's bravest on the brakes at the end of the back straight. Just keep going deeper and deeper till you crash, then go back one lap to that marker
hahahah,

A bit like wrenching on 125s aye, keep tightening it, till it strips, then back half a turn ;)

Sketchy_Racer
25th January 2007, 19:25
Too many words

Brief summary of events?

I qualified 8th, in the wet. Was disapionted.

First dry lap was warm up lap, for race one. Got second. Went MotoX'ing

second race i won.

I came home

Coyote
25th January 2007, 19:41

second race i won.

I came home
See, that's all that needed to be said :p

Well done man

Buddha#81
25th January 2007, 20:03

second race i won.

I came home

Ooooooooooh so cutting the corners on the grass is the way to good race results.

Buddha#81
25th January 2007, 20:09
Nats photos are up on sportzfotoz.co.nz

Sketchy_Racer
25th January 2007, 20:20
Heres a couple of Pics from www.sportzfotosz.co.nz

I plan on buying them, so dont hark at me for being cheap :sunny:

Great photos !!

Coyote
25th January 2007, 20:25
Haha, you look pretty massive on that KR

Both photos are awesome

Sketchy_Racer
25th January 2007, 20:27
lol, now think about what i look like on the RS :gob:

Meekey_Mouse
25th January 2007, 21:08
Haha, I've only seen this thread now! Man, am I slow :slap:

Any hoo, Congrats Glen :first: You totally deserve it!! Thanks for the awesome report :rockon:

JayRacer37
26th January 2007, 16:58
Actually its quite fun on the 125. Just comes down to who's bravest on the brakes at the end of the back straight. Just keep going deeper and deeper till you crash, then go back one lap to that marker :Punk:

I like your style Kirk...I'm sure your painter does too!!
Puke's neat on a 125, the brave can get thru turn one flat, and the 'patch' is a viable exit off the mountain!! Choice.....:rockon:

k14
26th January 2007, 17:58
Puke's neat on a 125, the brave can get thru turn one flat, and the 'patch' is a viable exit off the mountain!! Choice.....:rockon:
I think the hill flat is a given. The first corner totally depends on suspension setup for those 3 big bumps and the line you take.

Sketchy_Racer
26th January 2007, 19:17
Cool, it sounds ok then

Whos gonna splash out for me to come??

Jay, you must be getting a few $$$ now, your shout.... ;)

Kickaha
27th January 2007, 15:33
Top effort on a track you hadn't even ridden before

you're right It's a fucking shithole and unfortunatey I will be racing at it

Ivan
27th January 2007, 18:04
Cool, it sounds ok then

Whos gonna splash out for me to come??

Jay, you must be getting a few $$$ now, your shout.... ;)

You bludging bugger pay for it yourself like I am with Manfield not people off kiwibiker bud:done:

Sketchy_Racer
27th January 2007, 21:10
Thats great that your paying for it yourself now.

Now you know how hard it is to cover racing expenses.

But dont come into my thread and call me a Bludger.

If i am offered help from people, Im not going to refuse it. But I will not and never will, ask of one person to help me out thier own pocket.

Ivan
27th January 2007, 22:45

If i am offered help from people, Im not going to refuse it. But I will not and never will, ask of one person to help me out thier own pocket.

Have a look mate, there was a big smiley face meaning it a joke dont get upset mate:rockon:

JayRacer37
27th January 2007, 23:06

oh, everyone's getting snitchy snitcy...
and your wrong glen, i havn't got a cent to my name. The only way I can race at all is through the masssive generosity of my sponsors, Museum Hotel Wellington, Continental Tyres, and Darbi Accesories. Cheers to all above!!!!:rockon: