PDA

View Full Version : Pre 89 racing rule question.

sedge
2nd August 2004, 16:59
Hi all,

Quick question, would a 1986 bike with a Hagon shock and fatter rear wheel be elligible for pre 89 or does the original suspension/wheels have to be there ?

Cheers,

Sedge.

Hooks
2nd August 2004, 17:06
Hi all,

Quick question, would a 1986 bike with a Hagon shock and fatter rear wheel be elligible for pre 89 or does the original suspension/wheels have to be there ?

Cheers,

Sedge.

I'm not entirely sure but I think that the suspension has to be original as do the wheels but I think that the tyres are open to interpretation ie. slicks or not .... What are you looking at doing it with ??

White trash
2nd August 2004, 17:07
Hi all,

Cheers,

Sedge.

The wheels and shock can be after market, as long as they're period.

So you can use any wheel you like, provided it was available before 1989. You cannot use outrigged sprockets to suit wide wheels however. So there will allways be a limit.

As to the shock, the rules state "open" provided you don't change the configuration. Eg no transforming a twin shocker to mono shock.

Hope this helps.

FROSTY
2nd August 2004, 17:33
I was gonna say the same as WT .You can fit 6pot calipers,smaller/bigger wheels and different forks PROVIDED that exact part was available for sale in the period concerned. So as long as that rear shock was origonally available pre 89 you'll be fine.
I know that for example cbx1000 front brakes were quite sought after by the postie guys because they were the best brakes available in that period.
Say WT---are you sure about the outrigged sprocket? I thought front sprocket mounting was covered under "open" in the rule book

sedge
2nd August 2004, 19:00
Thanks all,

I was thinking of an 86 GSXR 750, it's got a Hagon shock though, do you mean by 'period part' that Hagon supplied them before 1989 ? or by 'open' does it mean whatever ?

Actually, when it comes down to it I've got a lot of questions...

Would it still be elligible if it had an 89 GSXR1100 engine ? }:>, I'm guessing not, heh heh, probably never happen anyway.

Are aftermarket plastics allowed ? eg race fairings, custom built subframe and single seat unit ? (originals too expensive to drop on)

I know some classes have rules about not changing the look of the bike, like 'you must retain the original fairing layout' etc, what if want to change where the exhaust runs or run it naked ?

I've got a commuter bike now but I really miss my old sports bike, I want a toy for the road and a little weekend track time and these seem like an awesome amount of bike for the money, I'd really like to able to fit modern rubber though.

How would the handling compare to my ex bike, 89 ZXR750 ? (maybe I should ask this somewhere else)

Hmm, is there a site I can go to and find out this stuff for myself, I trawled around MNZ and couldn't find anything about pre 89 ?

Thanks for your help,

Sedge.

LB
3rd August 2004, 05:40
Sedge: if you want, send me an email at lblair@linz.govt.nz and I'll send you the contact details for the Post Classic guys in Auckland. Can also send you the rules.

White trash
3rd August 2004, 07:43
I was gonna say the same as WT .You can fit 6pot calipers,smaller/bigger wheels and different forks PROVIDED that exact part was available for sale in the period concerned. So as long as that rear shock was origonally available pre 89 you'll be fine.
I know that for example cbx1000 front brakes were quite sought after by the postie guys because they were the best brakes available in that period.
Say WT---are you sure about the outrigged sprocket? I thought front sprocket mounting was covered under "open" in the rule book

My Pre "89 rules may be different to yours.

Mine says.

"Six pot callipers, not allowed"

You can't fit upside down forks unless they're original to the bike.

FROSTY
3rd August 2004, 15:49
ahhhh I see--he says looking at his zxr 400 front end-Bugger
I need to see the new rule book It seems.
Mind you heres a point --the class is so young/small arent they encouraging anyone to enter?

Kickaha
3rd August 2004, 17:08
ahhhh I see--he says looking at his zxr 400 front end-Bugger
I need to see the new rule book It seems.
Mind you heres a point --the class is so young/small arent they encouraging anyone to enter?

I don't think there is a proper rule book as (correct me if I'm wrong) pre89 is not an official MNZ class

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 23:02
Ok guys Ive just got back from AMCC
Ive been talking to the postie guys
A pre89 may have for example a 1100engine in a 750 frame EG gsxr but both must be period.
As WT said NO 6 pot calipers or upside down forks With the exeption of those bikes that came out with them--eg zxr400
You can use aftermarket fairings but they must retain the stock profile of the bike.
Engine cases at this stage must be stock.
Aftermarket internals are allowed in front shocks.
Aftermarket rear shocks are allowed.
Wheel change is allowed .
We;ll im all excited now--MY zxr is allowed to race -woopeee

mouldy
25th November 2005, 12:52
Hi all,

Cheers,

Sedge. To put an end to so many people speculating as to what they may think is the rule situation with the pre'89's and pre 82's and pre'72's, as President of the N.Z.P.C.R.A. you are more than welcome to contact me at LNK@PARADISE.NET.NZ and get the story straight the first time instead of a whole lot of people bandying things around in circles and still not knowing what they are talking about. Frosty, you know who I am, so stop talking shit to people and contact those who actually know. That is what we do so much work for in the first place to make the class happen.

Cheers,

LINDSAY PINKER.

gav
25th November 2005, 18:55
You do realise that was posted 15 months ago??? Just coz you race bikes from the past, doesnt mean you have to live in the past. How about posting the rules on here?

ajturbo
26th November 2005, 18:45
sooooo...when i get another bike i could race my turbo????:banana: :2thumbsup

TonyB
26th November 2005, 19:16
Lindsay, why not just post the main points here. Like a few others I'm considering MAYBE doing this some time in the future. I really don't want to waste your time asking stupid questions- I reckon a few others feel the same way.

One of my main questions is to do with the wheels. My 1989 FZR1000 is the EXUP model- as far as I know it's the first open class bike to use 17" wheels that can take modern rubber. I thought this might give the old girl a bit of an advantage. Can owners of bikes with 'odd' wheel sizes (like the GSXR1100 of the time with it's skinny 17" front and 18" rear) upgrade the wheels? Or do they have to use what it came with?

gav
26th November 2005, 19:50
Your FZR wouldnt qualify would it? The class is pre 89, so thats before 1989, dont think it includes 1989 though........

TonyB
26th November 2005, 20:03
Your FZR wouldnt qualify would it? The class is pre 89, so thats before 1989, dont think it includes 1989 though........
Pretty sure it's upto and including

k14
26th November 2005, 20:58
Pretty sure its upto and including. Also pretty sure that wheels are open for the pre (whatever) classes. Know they are for pre 82.