PDA

View Full Version : NZ Couriers SUCK

Quasievil
25th January 2007, 09:15
Had to send two Pirrelli Corsas down to Kicking Zebra for the nationals last week in Christchurch and got pinged $107.50 for it !!!!!! thats like 5 interisland tickets
FFS I can fly from Auck to CHCH for $99 !!!!
I of course spoke to them about it and they said basically to bad, thats the charge cant ( or wont) do anything about it
I noted to them that there is a large hole in the tyres and requested to find out if they had put anything inside this hole thereby double charging out my space which I had payed for.........there was no reply

Thats it for those fuckers I will stick to using Fastways!!!!

crazybigal
25th January 2007, 09:32
hahah fastways! run the risk of never getting it or at best in a week!
I had a trials bike (pedal kind) sent down from napier, took 4 days to get to wellington. Freight to the south island is expensive full stop! blame the interislander or bluebridge!
you could try castle parcel, south island ticket to chch is $12.95/ 10kg .005m

Had to send two Pirrelli Corsas down to Kicking Zebra for the nationals last week in Christchurch and got pinged $107.50 for it !!!!!! thats like 5 interisland tickets
I of course spoke to them about it and they said basically to bad, thats the charge cant ( or wont) do anything about it
I noted to them that there is a large hole in the tyres and requested to find out if they had put anything inside this hole thereby double charging out my space which I had payed for.........there was no reply

Dooly
25th January 2007, 09:35
Fuck Fastways too.

Bastards broke our Tapley brake meter when we sent it away to be tested and wont pay for it, after humming and haaing for 3 months. $1000.

Got us on a technicality as we signed for it as you do, on return, but they eventually said they wont pay because we should of unwrapped the parcel, inspected the item before signing for it.
As if you do that in a busy workshop and the courier drops stuff and runs.
Actually, who in a business unwraps their courier parcels and makes the courier wait while they minutely inspect the item for defects in transit?

Quasievil
25th January 2007, 09:35
Fastways are good, sent a squiilion packs around the country in the year I have used them, they are about one day slower than the big guys but they charge half as much and have never lost anything, what else do ya want ?

vifferman
25th January 2007, 09:37
Come to that, a lot of couriers don't wait for signatures for parcels requiring one.

Dooly
25th January 2007, 09:37
what else do ya want ?

The fuckers to pay for their mistake for starters.
We've used them since they started here, but customer loyalty meant zilch.

crazybigal
25th January 2007, 09:38
next time you get a courier, make him stand there while you slowly unwrap it. that will fuck em! do it for a week and see what happens!

Fuck Fastways too.

Bastards broke our Tapley brake meter when we sent it away to be tested and wont pay for it, after humming and haaing for 3 months. $1000.

Got us on a technicality as we signed for it as you do, on return, but they eventually said they wont pay because we should of unwrapped the parcel, inspected the item before signing for it.
Actually, who in a business unwraps their courier parcels and makes the courier wait while they minutely inspect the item for defects in transit?

Firefight
25th January 2007, 09:42
just like bad bike shop service eveyone has a bad courier story or two..

have had equally bad service from Both NZC & Fastway.

just out of interst Bret, how much did fastway qoute you for the same item ?

F/F

GR81
25th January 2007, 09:44
lastways!

we use courierpost... they are the lesser of all the evils.
altho we spend over 1/4 mil with them a year lol

crazybigal
25th January 2007, 09:44
i think it depends on the branch, wellington is shocking!
we ditched them as they lost stuff, didnt turn up to pickup some days. new drivers every few months, so you have to put up with all sorts of crap.
With nz couriers i used to send e40 packets to queenstown every week and it would be picked up at 5pm and deliverd in qtn by 10am. cant get any better than that!
Yes they can be expensive but you can haggle a deal on your rates if you do enough volume. if your a casual customer you will pay big time!.

Fastways are good, sent a squiilion packs around the country in the year I have used them, they are about one day slower than the big guys but they charge half as much and have never lost anything, what else do ya want ?

pervert
25th January 2007, 09:45
I use Fastway's daily as well, I had a few issues 2 or 3 years back with stuff not arriving for weeks. But they sorted that and I've been very happy ever since.

magicfairy
25th January 2007, 09:56
?

I used to work with someone who always wrote "Goods not inspected, condition unknown" when they made her sign and were in a hurry. Not sure of the legal status, or how you do that if signing on an electronic stuff but she was pretty sure of her stuff.

Chaosmage
25th January 2007, 10:01
[QUOTE=Quasievil;910630]Had to send two Pirrelli Corsas down to Kicking Zebra for the nationals last week in Christchurch and got pinged $107.50 for it !!!!!! thats like 5 interisland tickets
QUOTE]
Just wondering was this overnight or there "standard" south island ticket's which are "two day" inter-island? Sounds like an overnight charge to me.

Pretty sickening anyways

Quasievil
25th January 2007, 10:02
Fast Ways $18.95 FF

Firefight
25th January 2007, 10:05
Fast Ways $18.95 FF

wow ! what a differnce, why did you use NZC ?

F/F

R6_kid
25th January 2007, 10:06

the short answer is yes. whether it was packed at a warehouse into a mailing crate (done this job) or put in the belly of a plane as a loose item with other mail items (done this job for Air NZ who handles NZ/Courier post)... we always utilised space wherever possible, and putting a box or three inside the tyres we used to get from Forbes & Davies was always done.

KLOWN
25th January 2007, 10:07
I used to work with someone who always wrote "Goods not inspected, condition unknown" when they made her sign and were in a hurry. Not sure of the legal status, or how you do that if signing on an electronic stuff but she was pretty sure of her stuff.

at the bottle store I work at when we get a delivery we can't check all the goods, it would take to long, so we sign but write "yet to be checked' I don't know if about it legally but it is pretty clear you haven't inspected the goods.

imdying
25th January 2007, 10:15
Fastways are hopeless. I've tried all of the major couriers in NZ, and sent 50 packages a day every day via them, and I'll happily pay the extra for NZC.

You cannot fly that for $99 at zero notice.

Why didn't KZ take the tyres with him in the first place?

imdying
25th January 2007, 10:17
at the bottle store I work at when we get a delivery we can't check all the goods, it would take to long, so we sign but write "yet to be checked' I don't know if about it legally but it is pretty clear you haven't inspected the goods.

I always sign STI (subject to inspection). A freighter (not a courier, PBT iirc) bitched about this once (the driver). I told him that that was fine, help yourself to a coffee because I'll be about 2 hours checking them. Moaning stopped, problem solved.

imdying
25th January 2007, 10:18
have had equally bad service from Both NZC & Fastway.Yep, both have lost and broken stuff for me. Difference is, NZC it was the exception and with FW you always felt uneasy that was going to happen 'again'.

Quasievil
25th January 2007, 10:19
wow ! what a differnce, why did you use NZC ?

F/F

Had a interisland ticket for NZC so thought I would use it up, big mistake.
Anyway thats the second thing like that to happen, I spoke to their Branch manager a few hours back and no result. Im moving elsewhere for urgent stuff ie same day next day etc

imdying
25th January 2007, 10:21
Im moving elsewhere for urgent stuff ie same day next day etcJust my opinion, but if you were dead set on moving couriers, I would leave them for urgent stuff as they seem to be more reliable for those sort of jobs, and move to a cheaper but takes longer courier for everything else. Cause when it's urgent, it's urgent ;)

Quasievil
25th January 2007, 10:32
Just my opinion, but if you were dead set on moving couriers, I would leave them for urgent stuff as they seem to be more reliable for those sort of jobs, and move to a cheaper but takes longer courier for everything else. Cause when it's urgent, it's urgent ;)

I hear you, Im a bit of a loyalty freak, use the same people for years and years both in Business and personally ie insurances, banks, bike shops etc. I guess its largely the attitude or the lack of willingness to empathise with the problem that NZC had displayed. I dont move easily and do think about such things, but at the moment Im gutted with NZC and Im considering changing to Courier Post or my urgent stuff, dependant on the deal maybe all my (small) business will go that way.
Will see what happens

phantom
25th January 2007, 10:36
We use Fastways but had to demand a different courier driver as she would only pick up at midday and was a grumpy cow. I think Fastways is variable as it is a franchise operation so will be better or worse depending on where you are. We use PBT for big lots as they are really cheap and haven't lost or broken anything yet ( still time though )

imdying
25th January 2007, 10:40
Im considering changing to Courier Post or my urgent stuff, dependant on the deal maybe all my (small) business will go that way.
Will see what happensCP is a good choice, especially if you were moving everything over.

Lias
25th January 2007, 10:44
Have to agree that courierpost is the lesser of the the evils, having tried fastways, nz courier and courierpost over the years for both business and personal use.

Also worth noting that fastways have NO INSURANCE.
As per their conditions of carriage.
http://www.fastwayfms.com/WWSM/images/0003/CofCarriageNZ.pdf

5. Insurance
Insurance of the goods is the responsibility of the Consignor not of the Carrier.

ynot slow
25th January 2007, 17:17
i use post haste for my parcels when i sell items on the net site named flog me,usually get there quick,i.e parcel left friday for sth island there monday morning,also they use a local car dealer as depot so open saturday mornings to,i asked nzc and slowway for price to send 4 mags and tyres on from tauranga to hawera $56 - 65 each,used effecient transport picked up door to door $80plus gst,moral use transport companies takes maybe extra day,mags picked up tauranga then to auckland monday at my door wed 10.30am

NighthawkNZ
25th January 2007, 17:22
hahah fastways! run the risk of never getting it or at best in a week!

We have used Fastways at work for the past 4 years and send out maybee 20 parcels a day and not had a problem.... :scratch:

LXS
25th January 2007, 19:35
I always sign STI (subject to inspection). A freighter (not a courier, PBT iirc) bitched about this once (the driver). I told him that that was fine, help yourself to a coffee because I'll be about 2 hours checking them. Moaning stopped, problem solved.

good on ya, bloody good idea..cos at the end of the day the onus will be on you if you've signed for the goods in 'good condition' & in reality they're water damaged

Titanium
25th January 2007, 19:38

Dude ..... I would have taken them for nicks ..... should have screamed out ........ or freighted them for nothing ........

scracha
26th January 2007, 15:46

Fak, I pay less than that importing most stuff from Australia through TNT (wonderfully helpfull company).

FWIW, I guess it depends on the area you are in. I wouldn't touch Fastaway with a bargepole. Their customer service is $hite, their tracking system tells lies and a lot of their couriers are quite frankly, lazy with rural deliveries.

Courierpost have no "unexpected charge" either. You just stick the tickets on the items yourself and then phone up (or put the sign on the door) for the courier to pickup?

kickingzebra
26th January 2007, 19:39
Why didn't KZ take the tyres with him in the first place?

Tyres take up lots of space. I have tiny trailer. And Baby. No spare room. Nationals eat many tires. I am poor now.

Thanks heaps for that Quasi, saved my bacon!!!

Fatjim
31st January 2007, 11:07
The local courier post driver must be a lazy bastard. Apparently he couldn't deliver a package this morning at 7:16 when I was home, so now it's at the local post shop which is never open when I'm around. Maybe if he got out of the van he might have had more luck.

I rang the help desk and they need to open an "investigation". I said I was happy to ring the guy myself for some on the job training. They're not even meant to start delivering until 7:30, and the dip shit put 7:16 on the tracking note. Doh.

Deano
31st January 2007, 11:28
Have to agree that courierpost is the lesser of the the evils, having tried fastways, nz courier and courierpost over the years for both business and personal use.

Also worth noting that fastways have NO INSURANCE.
As per their conditions of carriage.
http://www.fastwayfms.com/WWSM/images/0003/CofCarriageNZ.pdf

I understand they are still liable for the first $1500 per unit as it is carried at limited carriers risk, under the Carriage of Goods Act. Certain exceptions apply.

bert_is_evil
31st January 2007, 16:17
I ordered a flashdrive over the internet a few years back, the company sent it via PBT. After a week of it not having arrived I called PBT who said I'd come and picked it up. This surprised me muchly - on further investigation we discovered that the courier had come to my house at time specified to find me not at home (not correct, I was home but we lived at the end of a 50m driveway so the lazy f*cker obviously couldn't be bothered driving up it). Any way on finding me "not home" he/she left the ticket in "the correct mailbox" (not mine). The person who belonged to whatever box he stuffed it in then clearly thought "cool, free stuff" and duely took the ticket to the courier depot and picked up the item, no ID required just signature in the form of a scribble. PBT advised it was not their policy to require any ID, just the ticket left by the courier and refused to take responsibility. Any one else see a problem with this system?

About a year later I couldn't go home for xmas because of work so my family kindly sent me a quite large box of goodies about 1mx1mx1m a fortnight before xmas. The PBT courier left the box (signature required with none obtained) on a random doorstep two streets away. After a week I received a phone call from an angry home owner saying that my parcel had been on their doorstep for a week (only a couple of metres from the road) and they had been calling PBT on a daily basis, and could I come and get it as it was pissing them off. I called PBT several times as I was at work at the time and they flat out refused to come and get it and even hung up on me for my troubles.

Moral of the stories - don't use PBT couriers

kro
31st January 2007, 16:45
Normally I'd disagree, as they treat us pretty well, but the last two parcels I have sent out, have taken 4 days to arrive, despite being ticketed for an overnight service.

I guess consistency is the best you can ask for, so I will just have a small whinge, then go back to liking them again.

scracha
31st January 2007, 21:20
PBT advised it was not their policy to require any ID, just the ticket left by the courier and refused to take responsibility. Any one else see a problem with this system?

They're hopeless. Item posted to me from Hamilton. PBT left the "you were not in thingie". Rung them up, courier had taken item back to Hamilton. Useless. There's a @$ng phone number and alternative delivery address on my front door specifically for couriers but they obviously couldn't read that.

scracha
16th February 2007, 15:26
Hmm. Phoned Ingrahm Micro to find out where the hell a customers VPN router has gotten to. They'd posted it on Tuesday afternoon. Rung up New Zealand Couriers and true to their usual form they have no idea where the hell it is. How the hell are these courier companies still in business? :mellow:

bert_is_evil
16th February 2007, 15:36
People seem to have the strange perception that couriers are faster and safer. Sooooo wrong

scracha
16th February 2007, 15:58
People seem to have the strange perception that couriers are faster and safer. Sooooo wrong

Lo...and as usual after phoning up their offices the parcel arrives within 30 minutes. I have to do this nearly EVERY time. My guess is that they're giving the courier guys & gals too much to handle and not enough time to do it in.

scracha
16th April 2007, 19:58
A blingy thingie wot does multimedia that I'm hoping to sell with my NAS thingie appears to be stuck in courierland.

Eastern seaboard (New Jersey) via California to Auckland in under 3 days. It's been stuck in Auckland ( < 100 miles away) since Friday afternoon.

"delivery attempted" my arse. They phoned me two hours later to ask me where I wanted it delivered. First time I've used DHL over here and I'll be on the blower again to them tomorrow to tell them to change their local courier company.

Yes I'm ranting. I'm bloody furious. I'm in the correct forum.

To make the start of this week complete, for the 5th time I've to spend an afternoon at home waiting on Transco to yet again no doubt tell me they can't fix my phone line. I'm < 250m from the exchange repeater station.

FFS, what the @#ck is it with @#$@#ng service in NZ? How do you guys put up with it? How the @"ck does anything get done in this country? What do people who are really "out in the sticks" do? I'm off to smoke some of the lovely locally produced plantlife to calm me down.

The_Dover
16th April 2007, 20:10
this country sucks balls.

except for the local plantlife.

i'm gonna move home and take some seeds with me to plant in my dads greenhouse

cowpoos
16th April 2007, 20:13
this country sucks balls.

except for the local plantlife.

i'm gonna move home and take some seeds with me to plant in my dads greenhouse
good.....coz you smell!!

NighthawkNZ
16th April 2007, 20:13
Moral of the stories - don't use PBT couriers

I would agree there... at work have have had nothing but trouble with them

Jantar
16th April 2007, 20:30
18 months ago I had to send a snowboard to my son in Auckland. CourierPost didn't want to know about it. Fastways weren't sure as I wasn't a registered customer, they'd get back to me. NZC no problems, but it would cost $108.
PBT, "Sure we'll take it, that'll be $9.80 please." I did warn them that there would be no-one at home in Auckland to receive it, and described where to leave it. It arrived safely 3 lays later.

NighthawkNZ
16th April 2007, 20:39
18 months ago I had to send a snowboard to my son in Auckland. CourierPost didn't want to know about it. Fastways weren't sure as I wasn't a registered customer, they'd get back to me. NZC no problems, but it would cost $108.
PBT, "Sure we'll take it, that'll be $9.80 please." I did warn them that there would be no-one at home in Auckland to receive it, and described where to leave it. It arrived safely 3 lays later.

I will admit that my tent arrived the day after they said they sent it...

Steam
16th April 2007, 20:50
We used to send out electricity disconnection letters with a certain independent courier company which shall remain nameless. The letters would arrive TWO WEEKS late, and people would call us upset that they'd arrived home from work to find no power. I think the courier company was fined a hellovalot and then ditched, as we were a huge company and had a rather fearsome contract with them.

geoffm
16th April 2007, 20:56
Fuck Fastways too.

Always sign "subject to check" on the ticket - always pisses them off, otherwise make them wait (and tell the driver why) as you unwrap it. They will soon get the message.
Fastways has always been slow, but cheap. NZ Couriers was slow and expensive back when I had to send stuff out.
G

scracha
16th April 2007, 21:01
A certain courier company keep dropping off "signature required" packages in my letterbox without me signing for them. One of these days someone is going to go walkies with an expensive piece of IT equipment from my letterbox and the courier will get his arse spanked. My driveway is umm..20m long so they've no excuse to do this when I'm in the house

The_Dover
16th April 2007, 21:04
maybe they're scared of your guard horse?

Steam
16th April 2007, 21:04
One of these days someone is going to go walkies with an expensive piece of IT equipment from my letterbox...

Give yourself a christmas bonus and do it yourself. No way they can prove it, it wasn't signed for, you are totally in the right. Apart from theft.:third:

scracha
16th April 2007, 21:09
Give yourself a christmas bonus and do it yourself. No way they can prove it, it wasn't signed for, you are totally in the right. Apart from theft.:third:

Unfortunately I have the "honest gene". How my friends laughed when I wouldn't even steal the sweeties out of Woolies. I'd best translate, "how my mates laughed when I wouldn't even steal the lollies out of The Warehouse"

scracha
16th April 2007, 21:12
maybe they're scared of your guard horse?

Indeed it must be scary. So far two kiwibikers have done the "I can ride thing". I then (actually, come to think of it the girlfriend said it to one of them) pipped up with "ok, lets get the saddle out". Both made their excuses. Pussies.

peasea
16th April 2007, 21:36
I had a quiet chuckle to myself when I read the gripes about courier companies. I have had some inside experience, starting with manifesting freight in Wellington ('Fragile' means throw it underarm) and having family rising through the ranks. How far? Try 2IC for NZ Post, GM of NZC etc etc, then there are old mates who run the B-trains full of their freight and so on. It really doesn't matter who you use, they all screw up, regularly. They are somewhat incestuous in that one company will use another to carry parcels to various spots and the reverse applies. Many different companies are owned by the same people, Trevor Farmer owns a fair slice and squeezes operators like ripe lemons, so they need to deliver more parcels per day to make the same money they did last year etc etc. Linehaul drivers work their arses off, clocking up more hours than is safe, some working two books (Scummy might know about this) and while I wouldn't want to say too much there might be just a hint of something among the night life that's there to keep them going.

If you've got a half-decent courier, stick with him/her. They are like mechanics in dealerships; pressured to feed fat cats and they're only human.

I don't bitch too hard when things are late in arriving; it's rarely the foot soldier who's to blame. Parcels get mis-directed and even when it's on the right truck, or in the right van, the guy who's dropping it off is usually tired and running for his life; literally.