PDA

View Full Version : RANT: F*&#ing Cagers who park in bike spaces.

Ghost Lemur
2nd August 2004, 19:40
Well I'm in the mood for a rant.

This has happened twice in the last week.

First time the prick had absolutely no excuse as there was three, count 'em three free (well metered) parks right next the bike spot. But no he parked in the bike park. This was at ~8am. There was a scooter that had to park in front of the car just on the verge of the bike park. So I decided instead of parking at the next nearest bike park I'd cover his ass. Bet petty (and probably would have been silly too if my bike had been worth more than it is). Took down all the details of the car incase I found my bike having a nap after course.

But incase that was a freak occurence today I go to visit the gf working in town. Go to the nearest bike spaces, and there is a freaken 4wd, so I decided to go around the block and come back to find a completely different vehicle parked there now. Worth mentioning this second one is right outside a dairy type place so it seems ppl are using the spot as a 5min loading zone. Even though there is one of those one the other side of the street.

Seriously both times I wished I could park my bike on their roofs. Hell if they want the free parking all they have to do is start using two wheels like the rest of us. It's just one of the many advantages.

/RANT.

*takes deep breath* :D

Mongoose
2nd August 2004, 19:50
You will find that these are the same people that park in the strawberry ripple only parks.
And, being as to how it is *only* a bike park, who farkin cares anway, not the ticket people that I have seen so far around here.

SpankMe
2nd August 2004, 19:55
Yep, I get totally pissed of at cagers parking in OUR free parking. :angry2:

So, could we call the toweys to come tow them away for illegal parking?

k14
2nd August 2004, 20:27
Yeah nearly had a similar incident to sensei on devon st np at the start of the year. I pulled up to the bike parks and this guy has his van parked there, being in a slightly "irritated" mood due to earlier incidents i just yelled out to him "Move your fu$%#ng van." This big maori guy jumps out of the van and comes up to me (at this point i realised i shouldnt have done that) and thinking the guy was going to have a not very nice reaction I found a change of underwear was probably required, but he just said sorry and moved the van 15m up the street to a vacant car park.

Learnt my lesson there, but still it is a pain when people do that.

Mr Skid
2nd August 2004, 20:41
Last Friday some twit parked their cage in the motorcycle parking at uni, taking up roughly 5 bike parks. I did contemplate interfering with the car until I noticed the ticket under the windscreen wiper..

Funny how traffic wardens were my worst enemys when I had a car and are my best friends now I have a bike..

GL, have you thought about telling council parking services about these idiots? Surely they'd be as keen as you are to 'reeducate' offenders?

Wenier
2nd August 2004, 20:47
Yea parking wardens would love them as they can ticket them quite a reasonable amount i think since it isnt a car park. I think they would class it like a loading zone and a $40 fine in order.

wkid_one
2nd August 2004, 20:50
Yup - call I towie - I do it all the time to people who park in the bike park outside Les Mills on Taranaki St.

Stinkwheeler
2nd August 2004, 20:52
It's happened to me twice. One time the bloody articulated tin box came after I had parked. When he climbed out (eventually, being a tad portly) I said "that's a pretty big bike you've got there." Of course yours truly being 15, and riding the rustbucket T250 at the time, the git ignored me.

I personally wouldn't hesistate to park on the roof if I had a trailie bike or something. It would be a bit difficult with a 4wd though, do you think they purposely buy them so we can't do it?

Bob
2nd August 2004, 20:53
The other thing that gets right up my nose is when they leave the shopping trolleys in the bike-space in the supermarket carpark. We get ONE space (two if we're very, very lucky and it is a really big carpark)... so they all leave their trolleys in there, instead of walking maybe 20 or 30 yards to put the trolley in the proper place.

I popped in to buy something the other day... and came out to find a trolley left IN FRONT of my bike! Red mist came down and I lobbed it into a car space... and someone in a car got irate! Not a good idea when an already irate biker is in mid-fume! If I was in a red mist, the air turned blue with my reply!

And all of that really clashed with my yellow bike...

FROSTY
2nd August 2004, 21:04
hmm maybee we need like a text link. KBers en mass decend on the parking spaces and park em in.
all stand around whisling -ohh -yea and have the traffic wardens on speed dial

Jackrat
2nd August 2004, 21:15
LOL',park in the things every time I go to Mt eden MC.
Bikers don't like it ? none have ever had the balls to say anything and until they do I'll keep doing it.

Zapf
2nd August 2004, 23:02
Hello, have a question on the same topic... (being a new bike owner)

:not: Are bikes allow to park in car spaces?

Ms Piggy
2nd August 2004, 23:16
A similar thing has happened to me often in Mercer St here in Wellington. I am parked there b/c it's close tro work. I finish at 6.30 or 7pm and some nights it's full of cars. One night a car was really close & I'm sure they would have touched my bike to get out of their car!

Although to day I had to shake my head in disbelief - I had just pulled in to the Mercer St park and a pedestrian walks out directly behind me as I'm backing back to the kerb!! She must have been in la la land b/c the bike was till running as well as moving back into her!! :2guns: She just floated off into the traffic & didn't even look at me as I was glaring at her! :sneaky2:

Mr Skid
3rd August 2004, 00:01
Are bikes allow to park in car spaces?

As a motor vehicle, I can't see any reason why you can't park a bike in a car park, though I'd be concerned about someone backing into it.. I usually look for motorcycle parks on the street, park in a council parking building or park on the footpath next to a large pole to chain the bike to..

In the Auckland City Council car parks (Civic, Downtown, Fanshawe, Victoria and maybe K'rd?) there is designated bike parking, just nip around the side of the barrier to get in and out. In their parking buildings you'll get grief from security if you park in a car park, but as long as you park in the designated areas it's ok. Oh and did I mention it's free? :niceone:

Location of ACC car parking buildings (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/guide.asp#map)

Location of Auckland CBD motorcycle parking (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/motorcycle.asp)

BTW the number for the Auckland City Council call center is (09) 379 2020, and they are interested in dealing to illegally parked cars..

moko
3rd August 2004, 01:15
Plymouth City Council supply loads of free bike parking and even have just installed rails in a lot of them so you can chain your bike to them.(typically very few do)Been a bit of a problem with cars parking there,Council response was an instant £50 fine for offenders($130 or so)and one of their little Hitlers will shift fast enough to win a gold in Athens,ticket book in hand if you tip them off.You can park in the car bays here if for some reason you want to but you`ll have to pay the same as a car using the same space or you`ll get done,all designated bike parking is free.Biggest problem is dickhead Scooter riders who dont seem to realise that the lines are there to park between and if you park your shitheap across 3 bays you`ll upset lots of people.
I dont know the legal situation with this but when I was in N.Z. me and a mate once stuck both our bikes in one parking bay,one ticket.Traffic Warden had a real good look(we were watching from a burger Bar across the road)and moved on,so is the ticket per vehicle or for the parking space?

madandy
3rd August 2004, 06:24
I almost always have to shift a scooter or two any time I park at the Library or supermarket. They just park them willy nilly like no-one else is likely to wanna park their bike there, or they forget that a bike is a little bigger and not so easy to manouver in a tight space as a scooter is.Lucky you can pick them up and shift 'em around like the bar stools that they are.
As for cages parking in M/C spaces.... :2guns:

SPman
3rd August 2004, 07:21
...Traffic Warden had a real good look(we were watching from a burger Bar across the road)and moved on,so is the ticket per vehicle or for the parking space?
Perhaps he was amazed that bikes actually paid!

gav
3rd August 2004, 09:16
I think its OK to park in a m/c park in a car, if youve left your bike at home, you know, m/c parking, yep, got one of them, thanks. And all 3 vehicles I own are Hondas, 1 CBR600, 2 civics he he he.

Posh Tourer :P
3rd August 2004, 09:16
As a motor vehicle, I can't see any reason why you can't park a bike in a car park, though I'd be concerned about someone backing into it.. I usually look for motorcycle parks on the street, park in a council parking building or park on the footpath next to a large pole to chain the bike to..

In the Auckland City Council car parks (Civic, Downtown, Fanshawe, Victoria and maybe K'rd?) there is designated bike parking, just nip around the side of the barrier to get in and out. In their parking buildings you'll get grief from security if you park in a car park, but as long as you park in the designated areas it's ok. Oh and did I mention it's free? :niceone:

Location of ACC car parking buildings (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/guide.asp#map)

Location of Auckland CBD motorcycle parking (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/motorcycle.asp)

BTW the number for the Auckland City Council call center is (09) 379 2020, and they are interested in dealing to illegally parked cars..

Similar info here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2406)

I parked in K'Rd recently and just tucked in behind a pole where no car would ever use the space. Got a few laughs from the people going in the other in-lane as I snuck round the barrier arm

Posh Tourer :P
3rd August 2004, 09:20
cagers always park in the bike parking on Alfred St and Symonds St at night. I was returning to my bike one evening and a guy was trying to squeeze in between bikes. I told him he'd never make it and he proceeded to pick up a scooter and move it sideways to get in. I dunno how you feel about this, but if anyone moved my bike around so they could fit a car in, I'd be pretty annoyed. Its *mine* damnit and other people might damage it...... Still I suppose it better than knocking it over....

Mongoose
3rd August 2004, 09:41
cagers always park in the bike parking on Alfred St and Symonds St at night. I was returning to my bike one evening and a guy was trying to squeeze in between bikes. I told him he'd never make it and he proceeded to pick up a scooter and move it sideways to get in. I dunno how you feel about this, but if anyone moved my bike around so they could fit a car in, I'd be pretty annoyed. Its *mine* damnit and other people might damage it...... Still I suppose it better than knocking it over....

Thats like people that insist on sitting or letting their kids sit on a M/bike, go sit in their car and move it out of a bike park and watch the reaction :kick:

Big Dog
3rd August 2004, 16:17
I parked in K'Rd recently and just tucked in behind a pole where no car would ever use the space. Got a few laughs from the people going in the other in-lane as I snuck round the barrier arm
I park in K'road every day. My company has a season pass.
after being attacked by the barrier arm a few times and complaining about it the official response was "we are not equipped to handle motorcycles, just drive around the barrier." & "if your not going to pay try not to use a parking space" So I use it when I have to bring the cage but generally just lend it to my staff. According to the staff if youy want your bike in one piece don't ever use the proper spaces, as people have been known to use their cars to push bikes out of the way when They can't find thier own space.

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 19:18
for fun one day park your bike in the biggest nicest cage park, and then sit back and wait for them to knock it over for some new fairings and paint for free!! I am sure your size would convince them fairly quick.!

rodgerd
4th August 2004, 14:53
Seriously both times I wished I could park my bike on their roofs. Hell if they want the free parking all they have to do is start using two wheels like the rest of us. It's just one of the many advantages.

This happened a lot in Wellington on weekends and evenings. It's beginning to tail off, though, because the council have started sending traffic wardens out on the weekend - I almost clapped with glee when I watched one wander down the bike park outside the old Dominion Building and ticket the row of cars.

rodgerd
4th August 2004, 14:58
Hello, have a question on the same topic... (being a new bike owner)

:not: Are bikes allow to park in car spaces?

So long as you stick the money in for pay spaces, yep.

Beemer
4th August 2004, 17:15
Wellington is pretty bad for dodgy parking - the taxi drivers really get on my nerves and I have had some yelling matches with them for parking without paying while waiting for fares in Waring Taylor St. Rang parking enforcement last time I was in the car, at least it made them all pay up, and one left so I had a space anyway! I parked my bike in Hunter St once and a truck parked less than a foot in front of the bike parks. There were heaps of bikes there and I couldn't get out around them, so I asked a large bloke walking along to help me lift my bike onto the footpath and I rode off from there!

I say let down two of the tyres of the mongels' cars that are parked on bike parks. One tyre is a nuisance (they usually have a spare), but two inconveniences them so much they may get the message!

moko
4th August 2004, 17:36
Seems to be a blind eye turned towards bikes being parked on the pavement here as well.It`s illegal but as a lot of our pavements are wide as long as you dont act like a prat and use a bit of common sense you`ll get left alone,i.e. tuck it in next to one of the flower beds e.t.c.also the council recently installed big hoops for cyclists to chain their bikes too,they`ve kind of got pushed out by bikers.My bike was parked right outside the entrance to the market last Saturday afternoon,next to the wall and not in anyone`s way so no ticket despite being on the pavement in one of the busiest parts of the city.

bgd
4th August 2004, 19:46
Seems to be a blind eye turned towards bikes being parked on the pavement here as well.It`s illegal but as a lot of our pavements are wide as long as you dont act like a prat and use a bit of common sense you`ll get left alone,i.e. tuck it in next to one of the flower beds e.t.c.also the council recently installed big hoops for cyclists to chain their bikes too,they`ve kind of got pushed out by bikers.My bike was parked right outside the entrance to the market last Saturday afternoon,next to the wall and not in anyone`s way so no ticket despite being on the pavement in one of the busiest parts of the city.

Sounds like you have a pretty enlightened council - shame they're not more of them

moko
5th August 2004, 03:57
Sounds like you have a pretty enlightened council - shame they're not more of them

Yes,they`re definately pro-bike,maybe because of the Mega-ride charity run which is a massive event here every year,6000 bikers and many times that number of people that come into the city to watch and spend loads of money while they`re here.It would be very easy to shift the whole thing just down the road to Exeter,who`d dearly love to have it,if our council pissed off the bike clubs that run it.On-pavement thing started a few years back with foreign bikers doing it,think it`s legal in France,now it`s pretty well accepted and bikers dont abuse it and use their common sense so basically we get left alone.I think the fact that the allocated bike parking,and there`s loads of that too,gets used helps,if no-one used that and was just dumping their machine on the pavement to save a short walk then it would be different.If there`s a space in the bike park that`s where the guys park up,if not somewhere causing no obstruction,good example of a bit of common sense on both sides making life easier for everyone.

SPORK
11th August 2004, 21:09
Thats like people that insist on sitting or letting their kids sit on a M/bike, go sit in their car and move it out of a bike park and watch the reaction :kick:

What the hell! If anyone ever did that to one of MY bikes, i would want to key their cage! :2guns: :angry2:

Some people have so much nerve! I wonder if it would be safe to just leave a bike at my school; 2 teachers do, one has the bike I am getting :) So I wonder if the stupid white trash / wiggas / bogans, that attend my school would leave it alone... I want a flame-thrower security alarm :Pokey:

Well, that made me feel better

Redstar
11th August 2004, 21:56
yeah but theres nothing to stop us from parking in a cage space? there no bike only spots here. I used to feel guilty parking in a cage spot but don't we pay more rego and thats it. if you park pathment you risk a fine.