PDA

View Full Version : My helmet shopping experience

Slingshot
25th January 2007, 16:29
I decided over Christmas that it was time to upgrade my HJC CL-14. The first step was to learn a bit about what was currently available so I spent a bit of time looking at the major manufacturer's websites. Quite quickly I figured out that the websites all basically say the same stuff.

So off I went to actually try some helmets on, I quickly figured out which ones I didn't like. The Shoei's & Sharks didn't seem to fit my head and the KBC didn't feel right either.
I tried on an Arai which was great when compared to the others but they were rather pricy, after talking to Mrs S she convinced me that we couldn't afford it...right I said, I'm going to sell that R/C plane that I've flown once and I'll use the funds from that to buy a helmet.

I did keep looking in the mean time though and tried on an AGV GP-Pro, like the Arai it seemed to fit very well...problem was I couldn't find a dealer that stocked both the Arai & the AGV.

The next problem was the AGV GP-Pro was only imported in two different designs and I wasn't keen on either...it was also bloody expensive at $1100 (although I'm sure I would have got a discount if I had asked).

So at this point in time...I give up on the idea, the two helmets I like are out of my price range and I don't have the cash until I could liquidate some assets.

Then, Mrs S gives me my birthday present...a homemade voucher for a helmet up to $800 value! She'd been planning it for ages apparently. So back into shopping mode!!!

I happened to come across a thread about importing helmets and someone had mentioned about buying off eBay...onto to eBay I went and quite quickly found 3 eBay stores that sold the American version of the AGV GP-Pro (XR2) and they had designs that weren't available in our market!!!
After a fair bit of comparison between the info on the US & Rest of the World versions of the AGV website I decided that it was worth assuming that a ML helmet would fit, so I ordered it (and a dark smoke visor & a mirrored visor).

All up, it cost $552.09NZD for the helmet, 2 visors and shipping.

8 days later and it's arrived, and it fits...although I haven't yet ridden in it for very long but at this stage I'm most happy. It also cleared customs without incurring GST!

The eBay store I brought it from was THE Rider Superstore (http://stores.ebay.com/THE-Rider-Superstore), it certainly pays to email the seller for their cheapest price as these guys came back and discounted an already cheap price. These guys were also very good at replying to emails and the whole process was a piece of cake.

I'll do a write up on the helmet in a few days, once I've worn it a bit.

shafty
25th January 2007, 16:43
Good write up Mate - and a great tip on buying lids!

quickbuck
25th January 2007, 17:02
Well done.
I hope you enjoy the new helmet.

Nice one.

skelstar
25th January 2007, 17:02
Ya havent got a pic have ya?

Slingshot
25th January 2007, 19:22
Ya havent got a pic have ya?

Pics from the AGV website:

skelstar
25th January 2007, 19:26
Looks cool bro. Enjoy the ride tonight?

Krusti
25th January 2007, 19:35
Just as an aside..Hamilton mc had a couple of $1000 agv helmets for $500 that had a broken vent clip....just for your info

MD
25th January 2007, 20:00
That's a sharp looking lid Slingshot. Buying from offshore via web sites seems to be catching on. I wonder how long before we can order new bikes over the net at 70% of the local price?

Coyote
25th January 2007, 20:11
That's a sharp looking lid Slingshot. Buying from offshore via web sites seems to be catching on. I wonder how long before we can order new bikes over the net at 70% of the local price?
70% would be pushing it. A new 1000 from overseas would be the same price as a 600 locally though

www.nilin.jp
These guys seem good. I might be serious in dealing with them if/when I'm looking for a 400. Don't know how much shipping over would be

Slingshot
25th January 2007, 20:53
Looks cool bro. Enjoy the ride tonight?

Yeah...it wasn't bad, where were you???

skelstar
25th January 2007, 21:01
Didnt really feel too hot. Next time maybe.

sels1
25th January 2007, 21:25
I promised myself a new lid for Xmas too, and had quite a bit of trouble finding something I liked. Didnt get a lot of help from some of the bikeshops either (the usual culprits)- you would think if someone came into your shop, looked around your helmets for a while, read the labels and tried a few on, might actually want to buy something and would like some help/service? Ha. Walked out of that shop with my money still in my pocket.
In the end Kerry at TSS was rather helpful, after not having anthing I fancied (that I could afford) on the shelf, he got out the catalouges and found something I liked, then ordered in a couple of sizes, one of which was a good fit and I duly bought it at what I thought was a favourable price.

One thing I found was the variation in sizes between manufacturers - I am a L in one brand, an XL in another, and even if they sort of fitted some were the wrong shape for my head - and that could put me off buy a lid over the net. I have got a jacket and gloves from the net but at least you can use a tape measure for those.

enigma51
25th January 2007, 21:36
I promised myself a new lid for Xmas too, and had quite a bit of trouble finding something I liked. Didnt get a lot of help from some of the bikeshops either (the usual culprits)- you would think if someone came into your shop, looked around your helmets for a while, read the labels and tried a few on, might actually want to buy something and would like some help/service? Ha. Walked out of that shop with my money still in my pocket.
In the end Kerry at TSS was rather helpful, after not having anthing I fancied (that I could afford) on the shelf, he got out the catalouges and found something I liked, then ordered in a couple of sizes, one of which was a good fit and I duly bought it at what I thought was a favourable price.

One thing I found was the variation in sizes between manufacturers - I am a L in one brand, an XL in another, and even if they sort of fitted some were the wrong shape for my head - and that could put me off buy a lid over the net. I have got a jacket and gloves from the net but at least you can use a tape measure for those.

I know what you mean wanted a AGV a few years ago but no matter what size just could not get one to fit just right :rockon: so im a little stuck for choice between a shoei and a shoei :shit:

Darkman
25th January 2007, 21:39
had a look at it tonight....looks awesome dude. AGVs are great helmets and for that price, well..its making me cry for buying my helmet in NZ.

slowpoke
25th January 2007, 22:56
For those of us doing the odd competition event I was curious about what standards would apply 'cos I thought they had to carry the AS/NZS sticker, but I was wrong as per usual. This from the MNZ rule book:

COMPETITION HELMET STANDARDS:
All new helmets available in New Zealand are manufactured overseas. These are made to various standards. The following standards acceptable for helmets for us in MNZ events.

Road

Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’
Japan JIS T 8133 : 2000
USA SNELL M 200 or M 2005

Only helmets of single shell construction are permitted for road racing events. Two piece or flip top helmets may be used for have-a-go or track introduction days.

Off Road

Europe ECE 22-04 or 22-05, ‘P’, ‘NP’ or ‘J’
Japan JIS T 8133 : 2000
USA SNELL M 2000 or M 2005

Well done mate, good to see you weren't prepared to sacrifice quality even if you did get it at a great price.

Henk
6th February 2007, 07:58
Another thing to watch if you're buying a helmet for racing is the date of manufacture. MNZ also states it has to be under 5 years old. At the ISDE it was less. A bunch of foreign visitors had to charge off and buy new lids as the ones they had bought with them either didn't have the correct standards or had expired.
The kart guys have it even togher, two years I think. There are brand new helmets on dealers shelves that are older than that.

j_redley
12th February 2007, 11:54
Cheers for the right up, I'm actuall in search of my first ever helmet at the moment. If I can find my size, could be worth looking at something overseas then.