PDA

View Full Version : Back protectors under suits/jackets

L.L. Cool M
26th January 2007, 14:25
Hello and good day,

I have now got a separate, proper, back protector [applause]. I have a leather suit and a cordura jacket that already have their version of a back protector in them that are removable. Is there any reason to not wear both at once (eg: one in the outfit and the separate one)? I notice people seem to say take the one out of the jacket/suit and just wear the proper back protector, but they never give a reason why. Surely two are better than one? I don't see one interfering with the other.

Comments?

bert_is_evil
26th January 2007, 14:29
I can't think of any reason not to

Pumba
26th January 2007, 14:40
I can't think of any reason not to

Would you mind expanding on that, I dont quite follow your reasoning

L.L. Cool M
26th January 2007, 14:44
This may sound silly, and no doubt it is, but I could wear the one from the jackets/suit at the front as a chest protector. I'm doing it now. It doesn't effect my typing skills. I should be quite safe when typing at least.

It makes me feel very impenetrable, in so much that I don't want to be penetrated.

bert_is_evil
26th January 2007, 14:48
Would you mind expanding on that, I dont quite follow your reasoning

If you wear two back protectors you will look like the hunchback of notre dam, hence the picture of Quasimodo (not Quasimoto)

bistard
26th January 2007, 14:55
you should remove the back protector from your jacket/leathers,as I assume the new on you have goes over your shoulders or has a velco thingy around your stomach,this will sit in place much better than the ones standard in the jacket/leathers & should also be of better quality

Pumba
26th January 2007, 15:57
If you wear two back protectors you will look like the hunchback of notre dam, hence the picture of Quasimodo (not Quasimoto)

Sorry its friday arvo and my brain aint working at full speed

DMNTD
26th January 2007, 16:07
I have a so-called back protector in my jacket plus a Quasimoto one too...and I don't have any Quasimodo prob's.
Having a chest protector is a good idea too....chat to Zapf re this

bert_is_evil
26th January 2007, 16:19
I have a so-called back protector in my jacket plus a Quasimoto one too...and I don't have any Quasimodo prob's.
Having a chest protector is a good idea too....chat to Zapf re this

Hmm, must just be my hunched back then. Would explain being run out of town by an angy mob carrying pitchforks and flaming torches.

El Dopa
26th January 2007, 18:04
their version of a back protector in them

Is their version of a back protector a piece of foam padding?

Most jacket manufacturers will call a thin piece of padding in the back of a jacket a 'protector'. It will protect jack shit any time it's actually needed (i.e. when you come off your bike).

Leaving it in or taking it out probably won't really make much difference either way, but it might help absorb some impact. Only take it out if it interferes with any of your other safety gear.

paulj
26th January 2007, 19:00
Ahhhh - please overlook my ignorance - so a back protector is used to protect one's back during a can out? - one slides along on it (if possible) and the friction is taken up by the protector.

Are they any use for protecting ones spine during the acrobatics of trail and MX riding?

Paulus
26th January 2007, 19:32
Ahhhh - please overlook my ignorance - so a back protector is used to protect one's back during a can out? - one slides along on it (if possible) and the friction is taken up by the protector.

Are they any use for protecting ones spine during the acrobatics of trail and MX riding?

Something that thin will never be able to absorb much energy. The best you can hope for is to spread the impact force over as large an area as possible and away from the spine.

After seeing a friend paralyzed in an accident first hand I'll never ride without one. It might not have saved him but now he'll never know.

scracha
26th January 2007, 20:02
Something that thin will never be able to absorb much energy. The best you can hope for is to spread the impact force over as large an area as possible and away from the spine.

After seeing a friend paralyzed in an accident first hand I'll never ride without one. It might not have saved him but now he'll never know.

Yep, I always wear mine, hunchbacked or not. Paralysis is one of the few fears in life I have.

klingon
26th January 2007, 22:03
I find that the protector in my jacket shifts around and I don't know how much good that would be if I actually needed it. (It stays put better when I have the lining in the jacket but obviously in summer I don't.)

The separate back protector has a wide elasticised adjustable waist-band thingy and I would feel much more confident that it wouldn't move if I was doing aerobatics (or roadobatics) in it.

I find I'm removing all the armour in my jacket piece by piece and replacing it with stuff that is actually strapped onto my body rather than attached to the jacket. The shoulder pads are the same (moving around instead of firm against my shoulders) but I don't know what to replace them with.

L.L. Cool M
27th January 2007, 00:58
The shoulder pads are the same (moving around instead of firm against my shoulders) but I don't know what to replace them with.

Have you considered bubble wrap?

Pumba
27th January 2007, 12:59
Have you considered bubble wrap?

:clap: well done that man

El Dopa
27th January 2007, 19:23
a back protector is used to protect one's back during a can out? - one slides along on it (if possible) and the friction is taken up by the protector.

NO! That is the job of your jacket (leather or cordura). A back protector should be used...

...to spread the impact force over as large an area as possible and away from the spine.

My one has a hard outer layer (facing rearward) and a thick, semi-rigid foam/airbubble inner layer sitting against my spine, both acting to help absorb/spread the impact. They are worn inside the jacket. Over/under T-shirt/vest/whatever - doesn't really matter as long as it is comfortable and stays in place

Mental Trousers
27th January 2007, 21:48
Hmm, must just be my hunched back then. Would explain being run out of town by an angy mob carrying pitchforks and flaming torches.

nah it was the dribbling, hair do and bung eyes that you got chased out of town.

I used to end up wearing both just because I couldn't be arsed taking the soft, foam protector (haha) out of the jacket. As far as I can tell it won't do any harm to have both and the extra padding it offers may *possibly* help cushion things a bit more. I eventually ended up taking it out though, I think it was to show my girlfriend the difference between a decent one and a pretend one.

vagrant
29th January 2007, 09:06
I find that the protector in my jacket shifts around and
I find I'm removing all the armour in my jacket piece by piece and replacing it with stuff that is actually strapped onto my body rather than attached to the jacket. The shoulder pads are the same (moving around instead of firm against my shoulders) but I don't know what to replace them with.

I have seen an armoured mesh type underjacket. It had CE hard armour for the shoulders and elbows. Just googled and found this one,
http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Racing_Komodo_Jacket.htm

With a set of under trousers to match, you could go racing in a suit, that would raise some eyebrows:gob:

El Dopa
29th January 2007, 13:55
With a set of under trousers to match, you could go racing in a suit, that would raise some eyebrows:gob:

I still think you'd need an outer layer that was abrasion resistant (i.e. leather or cordura).

If you didn't have an outer layer, one of the joints or edge portions on that vest could catch on the road and rip away.

NordieBoy
29th January 2007, 14:08
I have seen an armoured mesh type underjacket. It had CE hard armour for the shoulders and elbows. Just googled and found this one,

I got an XL version (Biko brand but identical) 6 years ago and found the kidney belt did up around my lower ribs.
I need to drop the back protecter down about 10-15cm lower.
You do feel snug in them though :D

For road use I unzip the back protecter and just use it under my cordura jacket.

Zapf
29th January 2007, 14:29
chat to Zapf re this

I'll wear one of these and then just need any jacket that will stop the abrasion... E.g Mesh jacket or leathers

Either one of these
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Protection_Jacket/pd/np/170/p/650655.html

Or
http://www.tpro.co.uk/
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50674&d=1168508278

El Dopa
29th January 2007, 14:48
I'll wear one of these and then just need any jacket that will stop the abrasion... E.g Mesh jacket or leathers

Did you buy yours in NZ, or did you order online?

I prefer to be able to try something on before I buy.

terbang
29th January 2007, 14:55
I took the pad thingy out of my jacket and wear a Quasi back protector underneath. My jacket couldn't accomodate both, but maybe thats because of my "Hump".

Yeh may, spray it black and you've got yourself a batman costume right there.

Either one of these
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Protection_Jacket/pd/np/170/p/650655.html

Or
http://www.tpro.co.uk/
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50674&d=1168508278 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50674&d=1168508278)

Yeh that looks pretty good, I'd imagine it'd be a lot cooler than leathers too...

avgas
29th January 2007, 15:30
i wear both cos i like walking.....but thats up to you.
My bike has 2 sets of brakes.......but i only use the front ones every now and then - should i dissconnect the back one?
Same question really.