PDA

View Full Version : What sort of bike should I get?

McDuck
26th January 2007, 17:32
Hay Guys just got my learners this afternoon. i don't have a bike yet and would like something that can manage gravel and sealed road good. i will only have about 1.5k-2k, plus it has to be 250 cc etc. is there anything that meets these? also i am a heavy bugger, probably over 150 when wearing gear.
Thanks for your help
Mcduck

slinky
26th January 2007, 17:49
honda xr250?
not too sure of prices though, but they are a road legal dirt bike.
also not sure about power on them.

McDuck
26th January 2007, 17:59
and they are at the top of my price rage with being up to about 4k, will have a look around town at various bikes as i thing the price on TM might be a bit inflated. thanks.

JimO
26th January 2007, 18:07
remember what i said .......they ARE all trying to kill you......check out my profile mcduck its my old V8 coon

kevfromcoro
26th January 2007, 19:01
go for the xr..good bike.bit tall ..hope u have long legs....good all round machine.....ride safe KEV

McDuck
26th January 2007, 19:12
go for the xr..good bike.bit tall ..hope u have long legs....good all round machine.....ride safe KEV
is 6.6 tall enuff lol

eastlight
26th January 2007, 20:49
I'm also looking for a decent bike, took a 2001 XR250 for a test yesterday, wasn't road legal but they are a great bike. Enough poke to get you around and user friendly. You sound like a bloody big guy but a bike like a XR would handle you ok, just check the suspension first, you dont want you feet dragging on the road, waste of shoes! Good LucK (I agree with your comment re TM, some of those prices are WAY overboard!)

McDuck
26th January 2007, 21:30
and looked at a new one, i dont know if it was that xr250 but the new price he could do for me was 3.9. why would i pay 3+ for an old one lol

Henk
27th January 2007, 08:25
Consider the DRZ250 as well, bit heavier than an XR but electric start.
I don't think there is such a thing as a good cheap 250 these days, too much demand from the L plate brigade. I guess the positive side is that unless you completely wreck it resale will be about what you paid for it.

McDuck
27th January 2007, 09:19
So if i was to buy it new there is a good chance i would be able to recover moast of my money?

Henk
27th January 2007, 14:47
Buying new you always wear the worst of the depreciation. Buying good second hand and looking after it you should get most back. You've been looking at second hand bikes so you've probably got a better idea than I have at the moment.
I tend to buy bikes and ride them until they are ready for the miniskip so not much personal experience.