PDA

View Full Version : What gear would somebody need when

McDuck
26th January 2007, 19:18
starting out for road/dirt? (i know this is my second threed, sorry :) ) would you guys be able to help me out with a list of gear i will need and approx costs give or take a bit?
Thanks again guys.

JimO
26th January 2007, 19:37
decent helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants..all availiable on tard me at a reasonable cost:scooter: :scooter:

98tls
26th January 2007, 19:43
Some may disagree but for my money make sure jacket/pants have Armour.Dont buy shit gloves....pay a bit more and they will last years.......FWIW i have in 25 odd years of road riding yet to buy a pair of fully waterproof boots...and for that matter gloves...........

McDuck
26th January 2007, 19:57
i am of a rather tall sature and of a rather round shape, and big feet. i dont even know if the local shops would have my sizes of stuff. if you know off any size 15 boots that they do not use i would be happy to buy them. i think they will be the hardest to get.

Drum
26th January 2007, 20:00
Helmet $150 to $500 (excluding real flash ones)
Jacket $199 to $500 (excluding real flash ones)
Gloves $50 to $120 (excluding real flash ones)
Pants $150 to $500 (excluding real flash ones)
Boots $199 to $300 (excluding real flash ones)

McDuck
26th January 2007, 20:05
should be enuff to get me safe riding. thanks.

Drum
26th January 2007, 20:37
A lot of dealers will do a starting out road package for around $800 (cordura gear). You can always replace individual pieces of gear later with better/ more stylish stuff.

If you're short on cash then at least get a good helmet - and remember no second hand ones!

Welcome to the site by the way.

Zukin
26th January 2007, 20:37
Cheap investment really, after all it could be life saving equipment!

Depends on what you are doing.

Have a look around Motomail online or even better if you are in Aucks go in and have a look. Heaps of sizes to fit everyone.

Cheers Scott

98tls
26th January 2007, 20:39
yea..........forgot that..as drum said...Welcome........

Drum
26th January 2007, 20:39
.......... yet to buy a pair of fully waterproof boots...and for that matter gloves...........

Amen brother!

Ruralman
26th January 2007, 20:46
If you go into a bike shop and buy the full set up you'll get it all for a good price - I spent $1200 and got a Dririder Summit jacket (worth $500 and very bloody good with removeable thermal linings, body armour where it counts and meant to be 100% waterproof), RJay pants (waterproof and armoured) worth about $160, RJay Boots which I am really pleased with once I added a pair of woolen insoles (the boots were also about $160 I think), gloves which are generally about $80-90 retail, and an HJC Flipfront Helmet and mine was the more expensive of the two models available and I think it was around $400.

Since then the panst have been replaced by a better set of RJays at no cost because the first ones leaked in the crutch, and I have bought a pair of summer gloves because my first ones are just too hot and the linings then stick to your hands.
I had thought the helmet is prone to more wind noise than others but I think this is more due to the turbulence coming off the top of my high screen - I wear plugs anyway so that takes care of that problem. The convenience of the flipfront helmets is great especially for adventure riding.
I think you're probably right - at your size you'll probably have to buy new and order in advance. I wear size 12 boots and usually thats the biggest ones they have.
BUy a 250 that will sell again readily - at 150kg it will struggle so as soon as you can you'll want to flick it for something bigger. For the riding gear - buy the best you can 'cos you'll have it a long time and poor gear will annoy you.
cheers
Bruce

98tls
26th January 2007, 20:56
And dont forget the cheapest item of riding gear of them all........keep 2 new world bags for long trips........forget the advertising.....if it starts pissing down put them over your socks and ride in the rain all day........and still have dry feet..............

McDuck
26th January 2007, 21:06
you recon it is worth a trip up to AK to get the gear? i would be going up to Tauranga anyway for gear, not much in whakatane. well saveing i shall go i gess :)

Crisis management
26th January 2007, 21:30
This is rather an oblique question / answer......coming to off road from a road riding environment I have found it hard to choose the right gear.

If I was just going to ride 90% road 10% off then road gear is ok, but as I am interested in learning dirt riding ie. trail rides & getting covered in crap type rides (admitedly mainly because I have a lot of sudden gravity moments) then I need gear that is more enduro / trail type. I've tried the Dri rider pants / cordura jacket and I sweat like a pig, I should really be wearing enduro / light gear & armour. Same goes for helmets, gloves & boots, road type gear doesn't cut it.

So....as I am still figuring out what type of riding I am doing I have found that maybe some of my gear choices have been wrong.

If my situation is typical then should we be advising new riders to take their time, sort out their riding with minimal gear buying initially rather than getting a pile of stuff that may not work?

Now, I don't know the answer here and I hope some of you lot do. I raise the point only in the hope that the advice we give can be of the best use to the newby.

Feedback welcome.....:dodge:

McDuck
26th January 2007, 21:34
well to the comment of buying as little gear as possible i would say one thing that i know. you crash the moast when you are lerning.

Zukin
26th January 2007, 23:12
I have the full set of Dririder gear
Rallycross Evo Jacket and Pants.

I can say they are great.
They are waterproof, and when it gets hot I simply take out the liners.
The breeze then goes straight through, without risking safety as the armour stays inside the garments.

Bloody brilliant

I have also tried them in a howling Southerly, head on into for 2 hours, and still stayed dry :)

Worth every penny.

Cheers Scott