PDA

View Full Version : Summer jacket

disenfranchised
26th January 2007, 22:41
Can anyone recommend a good summer weight jacket?

I've removed the lining on my one, but its still a hefty sucker, and coming home in the evenings can be almost unbearable.

I don't fancy riding round in a tshirt like I see others doing.
It doesn't strike me as safe

Gremlin
27th January 2007, 02:13
DriRider makes a jacket called the Dri-Mesh, also goes by the name Climate Control.

Basically, the outer jacket is close to mesh, with armour in elbows, shoulders, and foam back protector. Two liners, 1 is waterproof, the other is the warmth one. You can also either use both liners, or one or the other.

I find it a really practical jacket for summer, but most people doubt how well it will stand up to a crash... I can't tell you yet either ;)

Couple of pics below, but there may be a newer model out now. Anyone that sells DriRider should have access to the jacket.

redeye40
27th January 2007, 11:03
Can only reitterate what Gremlin said,I love mine as it adapts to pretty much any situation,heat,cold,rain,but it's bloody brilliant with the thermal and waterproof liners out on a hot Canterbury day,highly recommended

disenfranchised
27th January 2007, 14:15
Cheers guys, I went out and picked one up today...the ride home was a hundred times cooler than the ride out.

It was bloody hard to find though.
In fact finding any kind of summer gear prooved harder than I expected.
I case anyone else out there is in the same boat as me...here's my experience from a days shopping in central Auckland.

I sarted at Motomail. They had a very nice Revit jacket with separate thermal and waterproof liners. Luckily they had my size, as apparently there's a really long wait on new stock. Was a definite contender, but at $500 was really beyond my budget.

Went to Red Baron next. They pretty much had nothing except an end of run Teknic jacket, which has strange sizing. Found one that fit, and just couldn't find anything that special about it. And for $300 was still more than I wanted to spend.

Ended up at Mt Eden motorcycles. It was here I found the Dri-Mesh, but it was the last one, and happened to be my size. Seems they don't make them anymore. This did mean I picked it up for $200, which was pretty much what I'd expected to spend.
There is a new jacket from Ixion, which felt like it would have been cooler overall...however when the XL was too small and the XXL was waaaay to big I gave up on it.

So all up, not the easiest item to find. Surprised me quite a bit given the current sticky heat we've got.

One thing I heard from all the shops is that summer style jackets are incredibly unpopular here in NZ, so they either stop making them, or stop importing them....I blame those people you see riding round in tshirts. They've removed an important product from NZ stores....shame on you all.

silverado
27th January 2007, 14:38
Go and see Jono at Motomail outlet store. He said there is a new shipment coming in.

These are priced at $180.00 down from $350.00. Apparantely made for American market but didn't sell too well.

The company then tried to sell them here and Aussie for around $350.00. It didn't work out either. So Motomail outlet got them.

I did have Shift jacket from Motomail. They might still have them for $199.00 at the main store. Flick mine off cause it got too big for me. Excellent jacket.

http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=4404

Gremlin
27th January 2007, 18:15
mmm the one thing I should have mentioned. You will notice the size of the jacket will vary dramatically, according to how many liners you have in it etc.

Winter for me is quite a snug fit, but good for keeping you warm. Mesh only is a tad loose, not the best, but can't really be helped.

Back Fire
27th January 2007, 18:53
mmm the one thing I should have mentioned. You will notice the size of the jacket will vary dramatically, according to how many liners you have in it etc.

Winter for me is quite a snug fit, but good for keeping you warm. Mesh only is a tad loose, not the best, but can't really be helped.

and that loverly sparkle just matches your silk liners and purple bike daaaarlink

Back Fire
27th January 2007, 18:58
re summer jacket, I use a ICON Timax jacket... had it 2 years, and lowsided wearing it... held up brilliantly, you wouldnt even know

Gremlin
27th January 2007, 23:43
and that loverly sparkle just matches your silk liners and purple bike daaaarlink
you really are obsessed with those points... its a little worrying you have nothing else to think about. Please tell me the point of having a black summer jacket while sitting at the traffic light? And anyhoo, the silver is pretty subtle.

The liners keep my gloves cleaner... its called practicality over posing... urrr... no excuse for the purple tho, it came like that :whistle:

Back Fire
28th January 2007, 12:31
Please tell me the point of having a black summer jacket while sitting at the traffic light? And anyhoo, the silver is pretty subtle.

last time I checked the other main ingredient in you're jacket was black...

re: the rest of what ever you said... those liners might work... if they did fall apart :p... and how are people not supposed to notice when you take sooo freakin long putting those camp liners on...

Hitcher
28th January 2007, 13:49
Can anyone recommend a good summer weight jacket?

I've got a Shift mesh jacket. Just the trick on a hot day. Has good armour in all the right places -- I road-tested my first one...

Idubbs
28th January 2007, 14:00
Can only reitterate what Gremlin said,I love mine as it adapts to pretty much any situation,heat,cold,rain,but it's bloody brilliant with the thermal and waterproof liners out on a hot Canterbury day,highly recommended

Ditto with the Dri mesh jacket - excellent for commuter riding. I'm willing to take mine touring, except I have to find a waterproof liner first. I'll check out
Motomail outlet as someone suggested.

Crazy Steve
28th January 2007, 14:11
I've got a Shift mesh jacket. Just the trick on a hot day. Has good armour in all the right places -- I road-tested my first one...

Ive got one of those to...

Wondered how well it would do at 200kph plus..??

Crazy Steve..