PDA

View Full Version : De-baffling a GSX250?

MidnightMike
27th January 2007, 21:25
Ive been thinking about debaffling the exhaust on my bike. ( Mainly as a cheap way to make it a bit louder.) :rockon:

I was wondering what effects this will have on the bike other than sound?

boomer
27th January 2007, 22:08
Make it lighter?

xwhatsit
27th January 2007, 22:16
From what I've gathered from research I did on it to do it on my bike, it might make it run lean and you may need a re-jet; although (do correct me if I'm wrong), you may not need to re-jet, just adjust the pilot mixture and adjust the needle, as that would take care of the bulk of throttle situations.

I have heard on larger bikes there's a possibility it might take a chunk out of the lower register, due to less backpressure. Would be interested to know whether the same applies for small capacity engines, with 250cc or (in your case) 125cc cylinders.

Paul in NZ
27th January 2007, 22:38
Argh mate - listen close 'cos I'm a fuggin hexpert. I've been baffled since 1965...

The cheapest way to make me noisier is to give me a few glasses of cheap red wine. I do run a bit rich in the morning mind you! I'm told my performance does suffer a tad but then it's pretty bloody devastating to start with so it's a bit of a blessed relief....

;-)

Ooosp

erm

Oooops

Of to bed then (hic)

Motu
27th January 2007, 23:19
It's a wonder you haven't been arrestord.

ZeroIndex
28th January 2007, 09:55
Ive been thinking about debaffling the exhaust on my bike. ( Mainly as a cheap way to make it a bit louder.) :rockon:

I was wondering what effects this will have on the bike other than sound?

just chop the exhaust off next to the footpeg, then you can blend in well with two of the dumbasses in hamilton that think they have uber-streetfighters and then you can take off the rest of your fairing, get motocross handlebars, and then you can become the 3rd member (especially considering it's a GSX250) of the Wheels of Fire :rofl

sorry dude, just a pisstake that I hope Carver, Sayam5 and a few other Hamilton riders will read...

hamie1
28th January 2007, 21:13
You are just so looking for a fight!

MidnightMike
28th January 2007, 21:23
Well, that was a waste of time, just one non shit answer. :finger:

hamie1
28th January 2007, 21:26
And you expected?

MidnightMike
28th January 2007, 21:30
And you expected?

That they would have got all of those shit hyosungs of the road by now :shutup:

hamie1
28th January 2007, 21:32
Why do you want to make it sound lounder any way?
Is it even worth doing to a GSX?
Is it so your mum and dad can here you coming home from the boy friends place?

xwhatsit
28th January 2007, 21:37
Why do you want to make it sound lounder any way?
Is it even worth doing to a GSX?
Is it so your mum and dad can here you coming home from the boy friends place?

It's only got two cylinders, so they are 125cc cylinders, so it won't sound too terrible. A debaffled four cylinder 250 tends to sound like shite (IMHO, don't throw tomatoes) because the cylinders are so small it ends up sounding like a small pea-shooter. Single cylinder 250s of course sound reasonable -- I haven't heard mine yet with nice pipes, don't know how it would sound, but there's plenty of fairly grunty sounding XR250s and the YZF250 sounds wicked even with the stock pipe.

A GSX is, of course, a Suzuki, so time may tell whether debaffling it will result in the engine blowing up or handlebars falling off.

98tls
28th January 2007, 21:39
Forget it.........just accept that shes right..........yes you do have a small dick........not like its the end of the world eh..........just dont show anyone.....:innocent:

ZeroIndex
29th January 2007, 02:48
seriously, de-baffled / de-exhausted GSX250's sound uber-gay..... ask Carver

MidnightMike
29th January 2007, 12:25
Fuck it then.

xwhatsit
29th January 2007, 12:54
Fuck it then.

Nah, do it. Fuck the rest of them.

Poor form, KB, poor form.

BTW, what on earth was the `small dick' comment about? Wrong thread?

Of course it's not going to sound like a Ducati with Contis, but it'll probably sound substantially better than the small sewing machine valve clatter you can hear now.

MidnightMike
29th January 2007, 12:57
Nah, do it. Fuck the rest of them.

Poor form, KB, poor form.

BTW, what on earth was the `small dick' comment about? Wrong thread?

Of course it's not going to sound like a Ducati with Contis, but it'll probably sound substantially better than the small sewing machine valve clatter you can hear now.

Yeah, where did that dick comment come from :rofl:

imdying
29th January 2007, 13:29
If the bike is in good nick, you'll only hurt the resale value by modifying it. Bide your time, wait till you've got a long termer is mess about with.

As for the noise... think of all the 1.5L boom tish Civics with loud exhausts running about... think of how much you think they're retards because they're all noise, no go... you're proposing to do the motorcycle equivalent, which is why the guys are ragging on you and giving you a hard time ;)

ZeroIndex
29th January 2007, 16:23
Fuck it then.

that's the way :)

MidnightMike
29th January 2007, 18:14
If the bike is in good nick, you'll only hurt the resale value by modifying it. Bide your time, wait till you've got a long termer is mess about with.

As for the noise... think of all the 1.5L boom tish Civics with loud exhausts running about... think of how much you think they're retards because they're all noise, no go... you're proposing to do the motorcycle equivalent, which is why the guys are ragging on you and giving you a hard time ;)

I get it now. Might as well get a honda hornet sooner rather than later then. :yes:

carver
29th January 2007, 18:26
I get it now. Might as well get a honda hornet sooner rather than later then. :yes:

yeah, the GSX dont look good done up,but if you like it buy my GS 500

Denniso
29th January 2007, 20:33
If you want more noise I've found it easer to get into Suzuki mufflers from the inlet end . get a metal holesaw that will go in and an extension and you can drill through the flat plate that holds the baffle bypassing it the second baffle can be harder to get to but can still be done . Do one at a time to check noise levels. Having said this I personaly prefer a quiet bike coz it's easer to sneak away from cars with party lights and you dont get pulled over so often. As for jetting get it set up properly , if you cant do it yourself get someone who can , dyno's are good for this if you can find a good operator. (dont just throw in a bigger main it may be rich not lean get it right it'll be good get it wrong you'll hate it):done:

Mr. Peanut
29th January 2007, 21:45
Leave it be.

imdying
30th January 2007, 08:34
I get it now. Might as well get a honda hornet sooner rather than later then. :yes:Bide your time well, Hornet 900 would sound good without a baffle :yes:

surfer
30th January 2007, 09:49

Failing debaffling your exhaust to make it louder you can make a noise like this grrrrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrr

avgas
30th January 2007, 10:10
Pour mineral turps into the exhaust and soak. It wont debaffle it - but it will remove the horrible packing shit.
Plus it makes cool flames when you start the bike up again.

hamie1
30th January 2007, 11:28
Do this... it sounds fun, dangerous and... take pictures.