PDA

View Full Version : Help - whats a DR200 worth?

Shadows
28th January 2007, 08:10
As above. Apparently it is a 1996 model, quite tidy, seems to run okay if not a little like a sewing machine.

Should it have more poke than a sewing machine.. or is that normal? My XL185 used to leap off the line, but this does not.

Road legal but rego has run out.

What sort of price range am I looking at?

Anything I should watch out for?

Crasherfromwayback
28th January 2007, 08:14
They're an ok wee bike mate....you might find the XL vs the DR could simply be down to gearing....just make sure it ain't rattling or smoking.....it's a 10/11 year old trail bike now....so no more than $1500-2000 if it's pretty tidy.

They were well cheap when new....

I'll happily come and have a look at it for you if you want....'cept you'll have to take me there.....another story.....

Shadows
28th January 2007, 08:46
They're an ok wee bike mate....you might find the XL vs the DR could simply be down to gearing....just make sure it ain't rattling or smoking.....it's a 10/11 year old trail bike now....so no more than $1500-2000 if it's pretty tidy.

I'll happily come and have a look at it for you if you want....'cept you'll have to take me there.....another story.....

Thanks for that Pete. It has no rattles or smoke (not only does it run like a sewing machine but it sounds like one too!), it just seems to be leaking a wee bit of oil from the front of the top cover so may need a new gasket up there. Yeah, I thought after I posted that it may just be a sprocket thing.

$1350 sounds pretty reasonable then.

Crasherfromwayback
28th January 2007, 09:55
$1350 sounds pretty reasonable then.

Yeah.......

bistard
28th January 2007, 10:01

So Pete,whats the other story??
What have you been doing,have you been naughty??

Madness
28th January 2007, 10:06
Are you looking to trade up Shadmeister??

Crasherfromwayback
28th January 2007, 10:12
So Pete,whats the other story??
What have you been doing,have you been naughty??

No....I've been framed......it wasn't me.:scooter:

merv
28th January 2007, 10:43
The DR200 was quite a soft trail bike with nowhere near the grunt of an equivalent Honda XR200R back then and it has only a five speed gearbox not a six speed, but if in good nick should be a nice little bike all the same.

I never ever owned one of them but if you say it is sluggish I wonder if its running restricted as so many trail bikes these days come ex the factory with carb manifold restrictors, airbox restrictors and sometime rather closed down exhaust outlets all in the name of keeping them quiet for initial certification so than can stamp the so many decibels label on them.

Your old XL185 dates back to an era where everything was supplied full power.

So have a careful look at stuff like that and maybe you can open it all out which may then just require some jet changes.

Shadows
29th January 2007, 09:02
Are you looking to trade up Shadmeister??

Hehehe... yerp, I'll be trading up every time I get back on the sporty!

chris
30th January 2007, 09:50
Don't regard it as a trail bike and you'll be fine. Makes a great adventure bike for those of a shorter stature.

Crasherfromwayback
30th January 2007, 10:00
Don't regard it as a trail bike and you'll be fine. Makes a great adventure bike for those of a shorter stature.

Eh??? That's EXACTLY what it is! A TRAILBIKE. Not an ENDURO bike, not a MOTO-X bike....but A trailbike.

chris
30th January 2007, 10:06
Eh??? That's EXACTLY what it is! A TRAILBIKE.

Suzuki market it as a dual purpose bike and that is what it is.

merv
30th January 2007, 10:19
Which us old fellahs call a trail bike, just like my 1973 XL175 was.

Crasherfromwayback
30th January 2007, 10:24
Suzuki market it as a dual purpose bike and that is what it is.

And that's not a trailbike then?
Please tell me in your expert opinion exactly WHAT a trail bike is then??