PDA

View Full Version : Fuses?

wildpudding
29th January 2007, 10:28
Howsit?

Tried another CDI on the bike the other day, only ran on 2 cyclinders so threw back on the original one, and now it only runs on 2, where it was going ok before.

As far as I can tell the right hand coil isn't recieving any power. Tried some working coils on that side, and they didnt work, so the original coil must be ok. I'm wondering if I have blown a fuse somewhere, a mate of mine told me there are fuses for the engine, but I can only find the main 20A fuse. Is this likely to be the problem?

Cheers

surfer
30th January 2007, 12:45
Good place to start is inspecting the fuses as usually this is the simplest thing to do. The hard thing wioll be if it pops again as you'll need to figure out why.

idb
30th January 2007, 13:11
Howsit?

Tried another CDI on the bike the other day, only ran on 2 cyclinders so threw back on the original one, and now it only runs on 2, where it was going ok before.

As far as I can tell the right hand coil isn't recieving any power. Tried some working coils on that side, and they didnt work, so the original coil must be ok. I'm wondering if I have blown a fuse somewhere, a mate of mine told me there are fuses for the engine, but I can only find the main 20A fuse. Is this likely to be the problem?

Cheers

If the main fuse is blown then nothing will work.

Start from your problem and work your way back.

Take your spark plugs out (or connect a spare to the leads) and rest them on the engine.
Turn the engine over and see if they spark.
If not then put a voltmeter across the PRIMARY side of the coil - that's the side with the skinny wire - and see if there are voltage pulses there when you turn the motor over.
If not, then work back further into the circuit.

Get yourself a circuit diagram to work from too, it makes it so much easier.

Good luck.

wildpudding
2nd February 2007, 19:41
Tested the right coil with a multimeter, the resistance on the primary and secondary circuits seemed normal(about 1.5 ohms and about 15-20k ohms), so the coil is fine. Though it won't make a spark. Connections look all ok, and I'm pretty sure the wires haven't shorted(wrapped in heaps of shrink wrap)....so it has to be the CDI? Yes?

Cheers

Motu
2nd February 2007, 19:58
It appears your bike was running on 4 cyls until you played around with it,then it ran on 2 cyls.I think it's obviously something you have done,don't go around inventing faults.Double check everything you touched and make sure it was put back correctly.

wildpudding
4th February 2007, 19:15
Pretty much exactly what I've done, re-set the bike to how it was and obvioulsy checked over everything a number of times...

So I can only conclude somehow the CDI is faulty, which I think it was anyway(had some funny probs when the bike got hot), so i'm starting the hunt for a replacement.

Cheers for the advice

idb
6th February 2007, 07:47
Tested the right coil with a multimeter, the resistance on the primary and secondary circuits seemed normal(about 1.5 ohms and about 15-20k ohms), so the coil is fine. Though it won't make a spark. Connections look all ok, and I'm pretty sure the wires haven't shorted(wrapped in heaps of shrink wrap)....so it has to be the CDI? Yes?

Cheers

Are you getting voltage on the primary?

Henk
6th February 2007, 11:08
This may be stating the obvious but have you changed your plugs since you started having problems. One faulty plug will stop two cylinders from firing and high temp failure is one of he signs of a plug starting to let go.

wildpudding
6th February 2007, 16:22
Are you getting voltage on the primary?

Ah not too sure how to set that up, what multimeter setting and where to probe. Any help would be useful!

This may be stating the obvious but have you changed your plugs since you started having problems. One faulty plug will stop two cylinders from firing and high temp failure is one of he signs of a plug starting to let go.

The plugs are pretty new, probably done about 500ks or so. Would say it is unlikely they are the problem, but if this aftermaket CDI I have orderded doesn't fix it, then may try that.

Cheers,

Stefan