PDA

View Full Version : Working in the bike industry

rok-the-boat
29th January 2007, 12:15
I just quit my job as a teacher and am weighing up my options. What would it take for me to become a bike mechanic? As I understand, I would have to find a job, then do some kind of apprenticeship (I did an engineering related one years ago). I am also considering boats, rather than bikes. How does it all work?

Basically, I am no expert but have 'fiddled' with a lot of bikes over the years and can put anything together that I take apart.
And, what kind of salary do mechanics get? Am I wasting my time?

Motu
29th January 2007, 12:36
You'll be better paid and appreciated as a teacher,and have a lot more holidays.Then you'll get a thread all about what a useless mechanic you are by people who can't fix their own bike.There are few less thankful professions than a tradesman.

SixPackBack
29th January 2007, 12:44
Completing an apprenticeship will be the beginning of your learning experience. Competent Tradespeople require years of 'hands on' to be truly useful.

rider 07
29th January 2007, 13:50
Ive been doing a lot of looking into it as well. weltec offers a 2 year course in motorcycle mechanics. Ive seen a few jobs advertised and salary varies from $20,000 to $40,000 a year

Brian d marge
29th January 2007, 13:57
Boats would be a better option , as there is big money there ... bikes while fun wont feed the family

Also after a few years ,,changing tyres aint all its cracked up to be ... Set your sights higher ...do the MC course then go into Engineering ,, the experience comes from doing ,,so spend a little money on doing it ( buy a MX bike ora small rr bike , learn about it inside and out )

Design get parts made , stuff them up , do it again ,,learn ,,,

Hang on all that for 40 k ,,stuff that ...

Stephen

Ive been doing a lot of looking into it as well. weltec offers a 2 year course in motorcycle mechanics. Ive seen a few jobs advertised and salary varies from $20,000 to $40,000 a year

Bwhahaha

I'm a phone monkey at a major new zealand employer and I get 40k standard, and I don't even have to get my hands dirty!

imdying
29th January 2007, 14:20
I'm a phone monkey at a major new zealand employer and I get 40k standard, and I don't even have to get my hands dirty!The difference is your job means you need your wages to buy mates, where as everyone wants a motorcycle mechanic for a friend ;)

The difference is your job means you need your wages to buy mates, where as everyone wants a motorcycle mechanic for a friend ;)

Got any problems with your phone lines?

You have now... :nono:

moko
29th January 2007, 14:32
When I was a kid I was mad on cars,spent all my money on mags,went to Brands Hatch club meetings most weekends,had pictures all over my wall.Got an apprenticeship and did the first 2 years,should have stuck it out and completed it because I was doing very,very well,on course to being the best qualified mechanic in the place in fact but by then was so hacked off I jacked it in,got a job in a local factory for 50% more than the foreman in the garage was earning.Got fed up with the job,once you know what you`re doing it all gets as repetitive as anything else,tools are very expensive and will batter your pay packet by a lot more than you probably think right now,live by your tools and nothing but the best is good enough,anything else will break or wear out very quickly.I got fed up taking money from customers who`d paid for 2 skilled mechanics to work for 5 hours on their cars when me and the other apprentice has whipped through the work in 3,plus they were geting stuffed on oil and parts.Whole thing left me totally disillussioned to the extent that I never even took my car test and have never owned a car.Bike shops aren`t a lot different,guy who services mine left our local 3 branch multi-franchise dealership because they wouldn`t let him do his job,they got 2 hours to do a service and whatever happened the bike had to be out of the workshop and the next one wheeled in to avoid getting pulled into the office,who`d blame the mechs if an irate customer complained his bike still rattled despite paying for the valves to be checked or whatever.The motor industry is full of sharks no matter how many wheels,the handful of good bike shops here have waiting lists,one guy of 3 months,the cowboys can always book you in within a few days but unless you cant manage an oil-change and a wipe over with a damp rag yourself you`re better off not bothering with them.You can make money working for yourself but from what I`ve seen locally you`ll need to get yourself a good rep while working for someone else first,which too often can be an eye-opening experience you`d rather not have had.If you think you`re good enough how about buying cheap bikes,doing them up and selling them on at a profit,you can do it in your spare time while you do something else to pay the bills and if it takes off expand from there,you`ll be earning,learning and more importantly getting yourself known and testing the water.

Finn
29th January 2007, 14:33
Completing an apprenticeship will be the beginning of your learning experience. Competent Tradespeople require years of 'hands on' to be truly useful.

I wish the bike shops new this.

imdying
29th January 2007, 14:39
Got any problems with your phone lines?

You have now... :nono:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you worked for Telecom, not Telstra :lol:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you worked for Telecom, not Telstra :lol:

My powers are many :yes:

imdying
29th January 2007, 15:01
My powers are many :yes:
Who do you think writes the software that gives you that power :rofl: :innocent:

SixPackBack
29th January 2007, 15:57

Peanuts....good ones can earn a good deal more.

rok-the-boat
29th January 2007, 16:50
Hey, to get thru university I bought 'failed' cars, got them thru their MOT (UK Wof), and sold them on at a small profit. Never had to do a lot to them - was careful about what I bought - but I can do whatever needs to be done, just might take a little time. Was a regular at the scrap yards in those days. Bikes are far easier, and as someone above pointed out, boats may be the way to go. I love fiddling with engines, and I wouldn't let a bike shop near mine.

I got 40K as a teacher but it was in a private school with a mad-as-a-hatter totally corrupt Asian boss with NO HOLIDAYS. I will also look into martial arts teaching as I have done that for 25+ years but bikes are still attracting my attention as they are just so much fun. I have never ripped anyone off and never will so would probably do quite well. I have rebuilt a few already.

Motu
29th January 2007, 17:32
Customer expectations are high,and as we regually see on KB,you dare not tell them their bike is old,worn out and not worth fixing...you just have to do it and charge very little.Some little 20 year 250 4 cyl that several owners have ''fixed'' themselves,but now appears to be running ''a little rough'',will keep you happy a whole 8 hour day....but don't try and charge that you rip off bastard,an hour and a half is all it should take.

rok-the-boat
29th January 2007, 21:09
Customer expectations are high,and as we regually see on KB,you dare not tell them their bike is old,worn out and not worth fixing...you just have to do it and charge very little.Some little 20 year 250 4 cyl that several owners have ''fixed'' themselves,but now appears to be running ''a little rough'',will keep you happy a whole 8 hour day....but don't try and charge that you rip off bastard,an hour and a half is all it should take.

Point taken, but I dare to tell the whole truth.

Dodgyiti
30th January 2007, 16:44
Teacher or Motorcycle Mechanic?

Oh boy, you must really hate being a Teacher!

By the time you are qualified to be a bike mechanic, the bikes will be so complex electronically, it will only be brakes, tyres, lubes and WOF stuff unless you are trained in a dealership or done your electrical papers as well, and even then....

Enjoy your extended holidays man! Work on your own bike, or get a basket case to play with while your off work, do a night class.
And we are running low on Teachers.

gav
30th January 2007, 19:19
And we are running low on Teachers.
Especially male teachers, most the schools down here are run and staffed by women. Not that thats a bad thing on its own, but I've a mate who's a male teacher and he chucked it in for awhile. He's since been tempted back and loves it, and he had a huge pick of job options too. Maybe you need to swap your school, rather than your job?

Motu
30th January 2007, 19:23
By the time you are qualified to be a bike mechanic, the bikes will be so complex .

Too right - when I started my apprenticeship I was told it was pointless being a mechanic because we'd soon all be driving sucky blowy things.

Pumba
30th January 2007, 19:41
and as someone above pointed out, boats may be the way to go.

Im no expert but I have been on the fringe of the boat industry for a number of years though waterski racing and offshore power boat racing, as well as having a flat mate that has been trying to get a mehanics aprentiship (sp) for the last year and half.

If you are going to go into the boating industry go boat building, far more scope for employment,any boat mechanic shops that work on anything interesting are old boys clubs were you can only get ahead by knowing the right people, otherwise you will end up doing fitting up fishing boats for a living and trust ne that is not exciting.

o and you can kiss your Xmas holidays away for the rest of your working life as well, cause guess when everyone pulls there boat out of the shed for the first time in almost a year and wants every thing done now!!

rok-the-boat
30th January 2007, 20:04
Hey thanks guys - it is all good advice.

Motu
30th January 2007, 20:06
In our family you were either into boats or trucks,and of the 5 male cousins in our generation 3 became mechanics and one a sailmaker.Guess which one comes back home every couple of years and buys atleast half a dozen houses to get rid of some overseas money?

Dodgyiti
30th January 2007, 20:18
Too right - when I started my apprenticeship I was told it was pointless being a mechanic because we'd soon all be driving sucky blowy things.

Too true, most of the new cars either suck or blow, but not in the good way:shit:

Drum
30th January 2007, 20:40
Rok-the-boat, your communication skills are too good to be a bike mechanic, and you don't seem bitter or prone to self pity either. Maybe you're not suited?

Why did you chuck in being a teacher?

gijoe1313
30th January 2007, 21:45
As a fellow sado-masochist of the teaching profession I can respect you needing a "Sea change". How long did you go for before burn-out? I'm in a public school and while you have your moments and of course, your moment moments, I still love teaching with a passion. Try casting your net adrift into the bounty of positions that are wide open to you (ever thought of getting into primary school?)

You're a grown-up, you decide what you're going to do - just remember, it always helps to do something you really enjoy! (After all, who'd be a teacher! :lol: )

rok-the-boat
12th March 2007, 21:23
Well, I have given up on retraining to be a mechanic. I am now on a teacher training course to become a teacher (my overseas quals do not work here). Will be back in the classroom next year. Would still like to do something related to bikes though ...

rok-the-boat
22nd November 2007, 13:15
Just to catch up on an old thread. I have now completed my teacher training and am looking for a job as a teacher. I have also been helping out at a local marina fixing outboards - my new direction, and quite interesting. And, I also enrolled on an evening workshop course (lathe/mill). Getting somewhere - but not sure where as yet ...

Katman
22nd November 2007, 13:22

Amen to that.

breakaway
22nd November 2007, 13:44
good to hear, teaching is a good carrer.

I don't know if that was on purpose or not but :clap::clap:

gijoe1313
22nd November 2007, 14:09
Gah! Only 16 more school days to go ... :doh: Students are acting up since its only juniors (the seniors are all in exam mode), a few more bits of student work to get in and reports to be written ... can't wait till end of the school year so I can do the most important thing...

Ride my bike! :scooter:

But yes, good on you for trying to work out what you want in life! Heaven knows, all I want to do is ride!

pritch
22nd November 2007, 14:33
I have some sympathy for the young guys who are starting out as bike mechanics these days. Sorry, motorcycle technicians...

Before they actually start they probably envisage themselves working on a succession of 1098 Ducatis, CBR1000RRs, and even, if times are tough, the odd GSXR :whistle:

Out here in the rural rump the reality is that the next few years are spent on, in, or under, cow shit encrusted farm bikes. :puke:

The bike mechs best tool these days is the high pressure hose...

jade
22nd November 2007, 18:48
its threads like these that make me feel lucky
just completed my boatbuilding apprentiship 2 weeks ago
and with 2 tnz boats to my name I think im set..
I want to get into formula 1 and moto gp tho..
doesnt pay as well as boatbuilding tho..

HTFU
22nd November 2007, 19:18
I am in a similar position. Quit fulltime teaching last year and now do it part time (yes gijoe the little shits are giving everyone grieve now they are the big fish). I also work in a cycle shop part time and the school hostel part time. And now have time to go fishing/riding, golf, cycling, coach a few teams and relieve my 5 year olds teacher of half her class in the afternoon for a bit of sport. Plus school holidays mean we spend all of January at a DOC camp by the beach.

Not going to make me millions but like I have been saying to the people questioning my approach, I am living today like I would want to when I retire 35 years from now, difference is today I have my knees. Got too many people I know in retirement that are broken, overweight, depressed and lonely but most of them are loaded (shit little good it does them).

Hope the weather is fine in Rotorua tomorrow - good day for a mtb. Work ?:rolleyes:

Coyote
22nd November 2007, 19:24
Out here in the rural rump the reality is that the next few years are spent on, in, or under, cow shit encrusted farm bikes. :puke:

Amen to that. Got an afterschool job at the bikeshop here, mainly get farm quads and dirtbikes in. My job is too clean them :p

The waterblaster makes light work of everything though, got to watch out for graphics peeling off though.

By the way, my Dad is a secondary school english teacher. It's his hell

NordieBoy
22nd November 2007, 20:14
I have some sympathy for the young guys who are starting out as bike mechanics these days. Sorry, motorcycle technicians...

Before they actually start they probably envisage themselves working on a succession of 1098 Ducatis, CBR1000RRs, and even, if times are tough, the odd GSXR :whistle:

I thought it was all well looked after farm quads with no rust, cow shit, mud and have never been upside down in the river?

Storm
22nd November 2007, 20:56
Just to catch up on an old thread. I have now completed my teacher training and am looking for a job as a teacher. I have also been helping out at a local marina fixing outboards - my new direction, and quite interesting. And, I also enrolled on an evening workshop course (lathe/mill). Getting somewhere - but not sure where as yet ...

Good on you for keeping your options open- the teaching will keep food on the table while you work at the other directions. Best of luck finding the perfect job!