PDA

View Full Version : Glove advice wanted

V4ME
29th January 2007, 14:43
I've been browsing google to see what type of gloves are the best etc - found one site which recommends that only the best will do (sales hype of course) - However the 'best' gloves according to this site, are the ones with the pinkie/small finger webbed together with the next finger. apparently this is to keep the small finger from breaking off if crashing - makes sense .
On looking around for good bike gloves in New Zealand - I have yet to find such gloves. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or is this not so important after all? I'm preferably looking for sports riding gloves that can also handle colder weather.
Any comments?

onearmedbandit
29th January 2007, 14:59
Alpinestar GP range have the webbed finger. My last two pairs have had them, thankfully not had to find out if I needed the webbing or not!

sinned
29th January 2007, 15:06
A good fit and shape is the most important and it is hard to know that buying without trying. I have an expensive pair of Revit gloves that bunch up around the grip. This makes holding the throttle difficult. Try on plenty first and test them on a bike grip. I am looking for another pair of gloves.

bistard
29th January 2007, 15:06
There are so many different types of gloves,are you after everyday/waterproof/summer/winter or race replica ones??
I have a set of Clover race rep ones,tecknic do a good range
Go to the local shop & describe what you want,the internet will just
confuse things,as half the stuff you cant get here anyway

avgas
29th January 2007, 15:24
i dunno if i like the webbed ones - for now i will stick with the standard.
Have a chat to Quasi - he sells em from recall.

V4ME
29th January 2007, 15:32
A good fit and shape is the most important and it is hard to know that buying without trying. I have an expensive pair of Revit gloves that bunch up around the grip. This makes holding the throttle difficult. Try on plenty first and test them on a bike grip. I am looking for another pair of gloves.

Yes I think you are right - I will try on quite a few. Some that I have tried on are just not right - even though they are expensive. - Thanks

V4ME
29th January 2007, 15:37
There are so many different types of gloves,are you after everyday/waterproof/summer/winter or race replica ones??
I have a set of Clover race rep ones,tecknic do a good range
Go to the local shop & describe what you want,the internet will just
confuse things,as half the stuff you cant get here anyway

Yeah - the internet does confuse the issue. - I really want all of the above - Clover ? - I must have a look. Ideally I want something that looks good but is warm in winter and not too thick so that I can 'feel' the throttle properly but will protect properly 'if' I should ever come off. - I suppose it's what everyone wants. - Someone mentioned Quasimoto - I'm going to check them out as well. - Thanks :scooter:

V4ME
29th January 2007, 15:38
i dunno if i like the webbed ones - for now i will stick with the standard.
Have a chat to Quasi - he sells em from recall.

Thanks avgas - I will - they do look pretty good.

MSTRS
29th January 2007, 16:43
Quasi's gloves are good. As good as anything twice the price. But you won't get 'everything' in a single glove. I would recommend that you get a sport glove with armour knuckles and a wrist strap for general riding and a cordura/leather mix for wet/cold conditions.

tipper
29th January 2007, 17:17
Alpinestar GP range have the webbed finger.

won't work with my webbed fingers:rockon:

98tls
29th January 2007, 17:23
Bought a pair off Quasi and yes very pleased.............

pritch
29th January 2007, 20:26
But you won't get 'everything' in a single glove.

Absolutely! Ive got four pairs of different types and am yet to find a real winter pair that let me feel the grips... Still looking....

vagrant
29th January 2007, 20:47
I been thru so many sets of gloves, trying to find something that works for me. I finally got a set of Dri-rider gloves from Cycletreads, they have all the buzz words like kevlar stiching, carbon fibre impact bits, waterproof/breathable linner etc. they look all right too:cool:
Like most things biking, its a compromize to get what you want for most of the time, if your gloves are warm and waterproof in winter, they will be way too hot for summer.
I went for a lighter glove for summer, when I do most of my riding anyway, and then I got some thermal undergloves for winter time.
Going on group ride is a great way to check out what gear other people have, and find out where they got it, way faster and less confusing than searching the net.

V4ME
29th January 2007, 22:16
I been thru so many sets of gloves, trying to find something that works for me. I finally got a set of Dri-rider gloves from Cycletreads, they have all the buzz words like kevlar stiching, carbon fibre impact bits, waterproof/breathable linner etc. they look all right too:cool:
Like most things biking, its a compromize to get what you want for most of the time, if your gloves are warm and waterproof in winter, they will be way too hot for summer.
I went for a lighter glove for summer, when I do most of my riding anyway, and then I got some thermal undergloves for winter time.
Going on group ride is a great way to check out what gear other people have, and find out where they got it, way faster and less confusing than searching the net.

Thanks Vagrant - I'm thinkin thats the best way to go - have a variety of gloves for different reasons and seasons. Mind you I'm thinkin the same way about bikes at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice - will catch up with some more thoughts on a few group rides - good idea.

Lou Girardin
30th January 2007, 05:52
Do you want race gloves?
Touring gloves?
Light summer gloves?
Waterproof?
Vented?
Leather?
Textile?

V4ME
30th January 2007, 15:29
Do you want race gloves?
Touring gloves?
Light summer gloves?
Waterproof?
Vented?
Leather?
Textile?

All of the above - - No seriously - I'm thinking I'm going to get a few pairs for various conditions - seems the only way to go - Mind you I have to start somewhere - so probably Race gloves to start with.

Cheers

vifferman
30th January 2007, 15:37
YIdeally I want something that looks good but is warm in winter and not too thick so that I can 'feel' the throttle properly but will protect properly 'if' I should ever come off.
Me too.
I found that the only glove I tried on that met this criteria was the Spidi Sport Comp H2Out: thinnish palms/fingers, but waterproof, armoured, and padded enough on the back to keep the cold out (I've heated grips, so don't need or want the undersides padded). Unfortunately, having found these, I went and bought summat else that was a better deal (the Spidi Raven - excellent glove, but the cuffs are too short, and it's less protective than the Sport Comp.)

I've had all sorts of gear over the years, and I've decided now I'm going to stick to 'name' stuff, after having to put up with some "almost OK" stuff like AGV, Dri-Rider, etc. Decide what your criteria are, then STICK to them. Something will turn up that meets them. Anything that's almost but not quite right will piss you off sooner or later and is wasted money.

V4ME
30th January 2007, 15:43
Me too.
I found that the only glove I tried on that met this criteria was the Spidi Sport Comp H2Out: thinnish palms/fingers, but waterproof, armoured, and padded enough on the back to keep the cold out (I've heated grips, so don't need or want the undersides padded). Unfortunately, having found these, I went and bought summat else that was a better deal (the Spidi Raven - excellent glove, but the cuffs are too short, and it's less protective than the Sport Comp.)

I've had all sorts of gear over the years, and I've decided now I'm going to stick to 'name' stuff, after having to put up with some "almost OK" stuff like AGV, Dri-Rider, etc. Decide what your criteria are, then STICK to them. Something will turn up that meets them. Anything that's almost but not quite right will piss you off sooner or later and is wasted money.

Thanks vifferman - bloody good advice, - I'm gonna try these Spidi out. Cheers

phoenixgtr
30th January 2007, 16:08
Question: are most race rep gloves cool enough for summer? I only have a pair of winter gloves and they stink from sweat during summer, so I need some lighter gloves and I like the race rep style, but was a little worried they'd still be too hot

V4ME
30th January 2007, 16:16
Question: are most race rep gloves cool enough for summer? I only have a pair of winter gloves and they stink from sweat during summer, so I need some lighter gloves and I like the race rep style, but was a little worried they'd still be too hot

Good question phoenixgtr - I'd love to know the answer too.

vifferman
30th January 2007, 16:21
I dunno 'bout race-replica gloves (although I suppose my Dri-Rider gloves are sorta RRs, given they have kevlar knuckle guards and whatnot), but they're not too hot. If the gloves aren't padded, they're usually not bad. Some of the race-rep gloves have vents in the back of them anyway, which probably helps.
I've got lots of gloves, but I reckon you need only two pairs: a pair that is waterproof and a summer pair. If you choose the right waterproof gloves, they'll do you summer and winter. In fact, I wear summer gloves all year round, and wear the other pair only when it rains or I ride somewhere with cooler temps than D'Auckland.

Hitcher
30th January 2007, 17:30
Today my favourite gloves were Dririder Drimesh. When it's colder and wetter I toss up between my Spidi H2Outs and Clover ST-03s.

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 18:10
I have so many pairs of gloves its not funny anymore, I must have real odd shaped hands or something, but I have a lot of trouble getting gloves to fit properly and comfortably. Had a pair of SIDI's which were great until I popped my thumb through them, have a pair of alpinestars which are ok. Had a pair of NAZRANS and they where useless.

Can't remember the other makes, mostly european and not available here anyways

One good thing about riding in auckland is that race gloves are perfect all year round, not like the UK where I had a different pair of gloves for each season ..... good old NZ

Oh so the only advice I can suggest is, try on loads of pairs, sit on you bike with them on and grip your handlebars and check out the sizing etc and don't be a cheap skate - your hands are the first thing to touch down (usually) and there ain't alot of skin on them to start with....

Mr. Peanut
2nd February 2007, 19:23
Don't forget gloves can be tight when you first wear them. Got Quasi gloves and I could barely move my hand, but after a few rides they were great.

Insanity_rules
2nd February 2007, 20:12
Got a pair of heavy duty dri riders for the wet and cold and a pair of spyke simply's for everyday. The spykes are the BEST gloves I've ever had.

Deano
2nd February 2007, 20:29
However the 'best' gloves according to this site, are the ones with the pinkie/small finger webbed together with the next finger. apparently this is to keep the small finger from breaking off if crashing - makes sense .

Any comments?

Harden the F*#k up, you've got two pinkies darling !!

Just wrap insulation tape around the two small fingers, save yourself a few hundred..........Piston Broke Styles.

V4ME
2nd February 2007, 21:04
Harden the F*#k up, you've got two pinkies darling !!

Just wrap insulation tape around the two small fingers, save yourself a few hundred..........Piston Broke Styles.

Damn you're right of course - it's only a little finger at the end of the day - mind you I'd hate to lose my left hand one as I enjoy playin my bass guitar.

I once knew a biker called Pinkie - and that's cos he lost both of his at different times.

lots of good advice - thanks to all who've posted.

pritch
3rd February 2007, 09:11
Gloves are like fishing reels, you always need more.

I have: motocross gloves (Fox) for round town in summer.
A "heritage" pair of road racing gloves (Castre) in reserve
Motard gloves (Held) for out of town rides in summer.
Sport touring gloves (Held) for when I'm doing that.
Spidi H2 Out for when it's colder.

Still looking for a winter glove that will let me feel the grips...

dawnrazor
3rd February 2007, 10:42
Still looking for a winter glove that will let me feel the grips...

ah the holy grail...

0arbreaka
18th February 2007, 03:03
Im happy with my shift gloves, theyve got all the bells and whistles eg. carbon knuckles etc etc.

Dafe
18th February 2007, 06:03
Clover - For Cold/Wet days. (Good warth)

Spidi Sport Composite - For Commuting/weekend/touring riding. (Very good freedom of movement & comfort - Best glove I've come across by a mile, Only issue - Not waterproof. Also good for racing. The only glove I'll buy now. You should at least look at a pair before deciding.

Aplinestars GPtechs - For Racing (Too stiff for everyday long ride comfort)

Metalor
13th March 2007, 08:02
Hey, I'm needing to buy some gloves before I start riding. I'm looking at a pair i like on trademe but they're a large and I tried a medium on in a shop the other day and they were a tight fit but comfortable. Is it likely a large will fit me? Or will they a bit too loose?

pritch
13th March 2007, 14:19
. Is it likely a large will fit me? Or will they a bit too loose?

It depends... I take a size 8 (medium) in German brand gloves but my Spidi gloves are Large. Buying gloves off Trade Me would be a bit of a gamble.
After all you really do want them to "fit like a glove".

Overseas suppliers usually have size charts and instructions on how to provide the measurements they need, but Trade Me???

Metalor
13th March 2007, 21:30
It depends... I take a size 8 (medium) in German brand gloves but my Spidi gloves are Large. Buying gloves off Trade Me would be a bit of a gamble.
After all you really do want them to "fit like a glove".

Overseas suppliers usually have size charts and instructions on how to provide the measurements they need, but Trade Me???

Ah ok, looks like I'll be getting gloves from the shop then. Cheers for the advice!

0arbreaka
13th March 2007, 22:48
Dont be afraid to spend the money on the gloves, what would you prefer? Chunks missing out of your hands or chunks missing out of your bank statement.

Metalor
14th March 2007, 09:03
Haha, yea fair enough! Just me funds are running a bit low.. got a good deal at the bike shop yesterday on wet weather gear and some draggin jeans though.

Hitcher
18th March 2007, 21:07
Dririder Drimesh are great for those days when the temperature is in the high 30s. I am surprised more Aussie bikers don't wear them.

disenfranchised
19th March 2007, 07:23
Quick question:

My current gloves (far from the "best" you can get) have the stitching coming apart on one of the fingers.

Should I replace/fix them urgently?
Like would a small gap become a big problem in an off...or would it likely not make much difference?

vamr
20th March 2007, 18:54
I have two pairs in use on a regular basis...

the Revit h2o, comfortable all season gloves though tend to get a bit muggy under the summer sun.

and a pair of Revit R59, really good summer gloves. Whenever it's a nice, dry day these are the ones I go for. Meshy = no sweaty hands.