PDA

View Full Version : Waitangi Day wanderings... (6 February)

PLUG
29th January 2007, 19:44
:sunny: FINE WEATHER ONLY:sunny: ... will post ya or na Monday nite

Have got land owners permission ($10 per bike) to link through from the upper reachers on the Rakaia river, into lake Heron. In behing the Mt Hutt range. This opens out into an alpine platue that encompasses lake Clearwater & goes as far down to the north bank of the Rangitata river. This is all Lord of the Rings country, vast & majestic.

Who's up for it ???

The plan is to LEAVE from the Yaldhurst gas station 8am & spend the whole day making dust in there & come out through Mt Somers village.

Those with thirsty bikes or small tanks will probably need fuel to make the most of the day.

Transalper
29th January 2007, 21:15
Who's up for it ???Yep, i'm in:done: .

far queue
29th January 2007, 21:27
Those with thirsty bikes or small tanks will probably need fuel to make the most of the day.What sort of distance are you talking from Petrol Station do the ride and back to Petrol Station? Non committal at this point, just checking on the requirements in case I can make it, but don't hold your breath.

PLUG
30th January 2007, 07:02
What sort of distance are you talking from Petrol Station do the ride and back to Petrol Station?

The only petrol for sure is Yaldhurst on the way out & Rakaia on the way back. In between could be up to 300+k. There is a gas station at Hororata, but weather it's open, & unsure if there is anything at Mt Somers on the way out.

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 07:23
What sort of distance are you talking from Petrol Station do the ride and back to Petrol Station?

Yaldhurst to Rakaia is about 320km and Yaldhurst to Yaldhurst is about 380km. Wouldn't rely on the Hororata station have been caught out there before. I take it your planning to drop down to Rakaia from Mt Somers on the way out rather than back to Yaldhurst? Guess it is long a straight either way round! (now thats sensible - round straights, though technically ......... nah)

Ohh - I'm in.

Cheers R

RedKLR650
30th January 2007, 09:37
:sunny: FINE WEATHER ONLY:sunny: ... will post ya or na Monday nite
Have got land owners permission ($10 per bike) to link through from the upper reachers on the Rakaia river, into lake Heron. In behing the Mt Hutt range. This opens out into an alpine platue that encompasses lake Clearwater & goes as far down to the north bank of the Rangitata river. This is all Lord of the Rings country, vast & majestic.
Who's up for it ???
The plan is to LEAVE from the Yaldhurst gas station 8am & spend the whole day making dust in there & come out through Mt Somers village.
Those with thirsty bikes or small tanks will probably need fuel to make the most of the day.

Any river crossings ?

I'm in as long as no swimming required :scooter:

Cheers, Stu

cooneyr
30th January 2007, 11:08
Any river crossings ?

I'm in as long as no swimming required :scooter:

Cheers, Stu

There are no river crossings and I don't think there are even any fords. Not sure about around the north western side of Mt Hutt but at worst would be some creek fords.

Cheers R

RedKLR650
30th January 2007, 11:22
There are no river crossings and I don't think there are even any fords. Not sure about around the north western side of Mt Hutt but at worst would be some creek fords.
Cheers R

In that case, I'm there !! In case it's needed, I don't have a problem carrying a bit of extra fuel in case someone runs short or out ( ~5-10 litres ). Mines a 23 litre tank so should be OK personally, but hate to see someone else run out 10km short of a refueling stop.... :shit:
Cheers, Stu

PLUG
30th January 2007, 12:32
In that case, I'm there !!

Presume you are coming form Timaru ... meet you at the corner of Blackford rd & hiway 72 some where around 9am ... that's the turn off into the upper reachers of the southside of the Rakaia river.

far queue
31st January 2007, 21:16
Non committal at this point, just checking on the requirements in case I can make it, but don't hold your breath.OK, I can now confirm that I can't make it. Have fun guys.

timg
1st February 2007, 09:20
What sort of distance are you talking from Petrol Station do the ride and back to Petrol Station? Non committal at this point, just checking on the requirements in case I can make it, but don't hold your breath.
Hi, I made a couple of ph calls re fuel stops. Methven Motors/Mobil will be open and so will Mt Somers Store. Comming from CHCH to Rakaia and then to Methven will not be much longer (Methven residents take this route when going to CHCH as it's quicker than going via Darfield) for those with smaller tanks to fill up at Methven before the start and then again at Mt Somers at the end.

I assume you folks will be following the Lake Stream track through from Glenariffe through to the upper Ashburton Gorge so the trip would be suitable for a less experienced riders like me? I've done the trip before in a 4X4 so know what the track is like. Cheers, Tim.

cooneyr
1st February 2007, 10:54
Hi, I made a couple of ph calls re fuel stops. Methven Motors/Mobil will be open and so will Mt Somers Store. Comming from CHCH to Rakaia and then to Methven will not be much longer (Methven residents take this route when going to CHCH as it's quicker than going via Darfield) for those with smaller tanks to fill up at Methven before the start and then again at Mt Somers at the end.

I assume you folks will be following the Lake Stream track through from Glenariffe through to the upper Ashburton Gorge so the trip would be suitable for a less experienced riders like me? I've done the trip before in a 4X4 so know what the track is like. Cheers, Tim.

From my measuring going from Yaldhurst, along the Bealy Road through Horarata to the Blackford Road turn off is about 85km where as via Rakia and Methven is about 105kms. If I went into Methven first I would only take about a litre or so as emergency fuel. Given that others (not sure which bike you are bringing TA) will not have an issues with fuel, only me and possibly TA, I'm happy to carry some rather than muck around gowing through Methven - it adds to the adventure :yes:

If you are comfortable riding the Lake Stream track timg, then you should be fine. The rest of it is wide gravel roads with maybe a little play somewhere along the way. Suggest we (chch guys) meet you and RedKLR650 at the intersection of SH 72 and Blackford Road around 9 as Plug said.

Cheers R

Transalper
1st February 2007, 14:50
I have two non KBers interested both using TTR250's.
Either J will come along on the DR650 with me on the Transalp or I might be on the DR650... so R, how much fuel do i want to pack for the DR?

Transalper
1st February 2007, 15:10
Or should i just ask... how much fuel are you packing?

cooneyr
1st February 2007, 15:59
I have two non KBers interested both using TTR250's.
Either J will come along on the DR650 with me on the Transalp or I might be on the DR650... so R, how much fuel do i want to pack for the DR?

Or should i just ask... how much fuel are you packing?

Opps didnt see the edit there. My reconing is need min of 320km but if Mt Somers gas station is open then need about 280kms. I recon that need about extra 6 litres for trip to Rakaia. I think I'll take my 5 litre with the 1.5 in the tail bag (coke bottle). The 5 litre should just about fit in at the start of the Blackford road so not too heavy through the gravel sections.

Cheers R

Skinny_Birdman
1st February 2007, 17:27
320km... Holy $%#:gob: . I guess I will do that oil change and buy those spare J-Links before the ride, eh? Count me in though!!

Alex

Transalper
1st February 2007, 17:43
Be good to see you again. Haven't caught up since the CRF dunking.

cooneyr
1st February 2007, 21:31
320km... Holy $%#:gob: . I guess I will do that oil change and buy those spare J-Links before the ride, eh? Count me in though!!

Alex

Think I've got this right - Is the girlfriend going to let you out on the TTR? The 320 is only from Yaldhurst back to Rakaia.

Hopefully not to wet this time aye?

Cheers R

Skinny_Birdman
2nd February 2007, 07:22
Think I've got this right - Is the girlfriend going to let you out on the TTR? The 320 is only from Yaldhurst back to Rakaia.

Hopefully not to wet this time aye?

Cheers R

The Girlfriend (A) is safely in Maastricht at the moment, and (B) knows who really owns the bike.... From Yaldhutst to Rakaia, you say... that's not so bad. What say you to running AV gas in the TTR?

Cheers A

cooneyr
2nd February 2007, 10:01
The Girlfriend (A) is safely in Maastricht at the moment, and (B) knows who really owns the bike.... From Yaldhutst to Rakaia, you say... that's not so bad. What say you to running AV gas in the TTR?

Cheers A

Got the right person then LOL. No idea re the avgas. Don't they run cooler on avgas? Suspect that higher octain is not worth it though as TTR is not "that" higher compression motor??? (guessing it is round 10 to 1?)

I've gone to 95/98 from 91 in the DR650 as runs smoother at 100kph but suspect I've lost a little bit of torque in mid range. Cant really tell about the torque (seat of the pants assessment) but defiantly can notice the increases smoothness at 100kph.

Cheers R

PLUG
4th February 2007, 12:44
Weathers looking good for Tuesday ... bring it on ...

Had message that the sign post is missing for Blackford Rd ... from the north it's the first right after the gorge ... from the South, look for yellow building with red roof ... then hang a left

mickeyboy
4th February 2007, 19:19
I'll be there

mickeyboy
4th February 2007, 19:19
C u at 8am

warewolf
4th February 2007, 20:52
Wish I was going with you, have a great one. For me, probably more shed time and/or a long-overdue road bike blast.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

:scooter::scooter::scooter:

RedKLR650
5th February 2007, 10:06
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

Don't worry warewolf, I'll post pictures of the ride tomorrow night :rockon:

PLUG
5th February 2007, 10:56
... it's a YA for tomorrow

RedKLR650
5th February 2007, 11:58

See you at the intersection of SH 72 and Blackford Road at 9am :scooter: :sunny: :Punk:

Transalper
5th February 2007, 12:10
Just had a mate on a R100GS confirmed... comming from WhiteCliffs, Glentunnel.

cooneyr
5th February 2007, 13:32

See y'all at Yaldy Shell nice and early for filling to the brim - 7.45ish.

Cheers R

PLUG
5th February 2007, 14:49
See y'all at Yaldy Shell nice and early for filling to the brim - 7.45ish.

Cheers R

Yeah ... we're leaving @ 8

Transalper
5th February 2007, 15:32
Curses $#@$ it !!! Another ride where i have to get up earlier than a working day. Oh well it's a worthy cause (all in the name of fun)

Skinny_Birdman
5th February 2007, 16:13

Alright!! See youse 7:45 ish at the yaldy. I'll probably try to leave ahead of you on the road stuff so that I don't have to screw the ring-piece off the poor wee bike on the road. Oh and TA, I guess we'll see you at about 9 :devil2:

Cheers
A

timg
6th February 2007, 20:16
Hey guys, Thanks for a great day. I had a ball with my new toy, and best of all I didn't damage it or me! But learned heaps. Thanks for your tips and advice. Great to meet you and I look forward to catching up again. Cheers, Tim.

cooneyr
7th February 2007, 07:21
Yep great day. Need to drink like a fish today - sweated out most of the fluid yesterday. Home you Timaru fullas enjoyed the tail wind on the way home. Was a bit of a haul going up SH1 with no fairing.

Looking forward to the pics - hint hint

Cheers R

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 07:28
Weathers looking good for Tuesday ... bring it on ...
OK guys, I know that taking a photographer on a ride can be tedious at times, but hope you like the attached shots of yesterdays Waitangi Wanderings Ride...... Cheers, Stu :yes:

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 07:32
Yep great day. Need to drink like a fish today - sweated out most of the fluid yesterday. Home you Timaru fullas enjoyed the tail wind on the way home. Was a bit of a haul going up SH1 with no fairing.
Looking forward to the pics - hint hint
Cheers R

Good timing Ryan..... You even feature in a few of the shots :rockon:

Fantactic Ride, good to meet you all

Stu

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 07:39
Hey guys, Thanks for a great day. I had a ball with my new toy, and best of all I didn't damage it or me! But learned heaps. Thanks for your tips and advice. Great to meet you and I look forward to catching up again. Cheers, Tim.

Hey Tim, good to see a guy with a 2007 bike with heaps of fairing and only 1000km on the clock is still prepared to take it on a real adventure ride like that. I think we all had a few scares in that really deep shingle ( more like small rocks on a road ) and I know of at leat two on the trip that gave there bikes a wee lie down, so you did very well. Hope to catch up on further rides..... Cheers, Stu:scooter:

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 07:44
:sunny: FINE WEATHER ONLY:sunny:

Who's up for it ???

Well Pete, on behalf of everyone from yesterday, I'd like to thank you for the invite, and I'm pleased I accepted the challenge ( and managed not to have too many ' Moments ' on the KLR :zzzz:

Anyway, thanks again and hope everyone enjoys the photos

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

cooneyr
7th February 2007, 07:46
OK guys, I know that taking a photographer on a ride can be tedious at times, but hope you like the attached shots of yesterdays Waitangi Wanderings Ride...... Cheers, Stu :yes:

Like you said - great to see the pics afterwards even if a bit of a pain at the time (order barking bloody photographer :dodge: ). Thanks for all the effort, really appreciated and much better than what I would have got on my 2mp camera phone :yes:

Cheers R

Transalper
7th February 2007, 08:15
Good ride, the wind at the end wasn't much fun comming home even with some fairing.
Nice photos Red.
Thanks Plug for getting this together and thanks for the help guys with my little 'forgot to check tyre pressures before i started and spun my tyre on the rim issue'.
Now looking foward to the next day out and the dusty butt adventure (although i'm going to start complaining that i've had enough by the 750km mark)

PLUG
7th February 2007, 08:32
a 400k, 12hr day, 50% loose surface with water crossings along the way, new to me venture riders, plenty of sun, good company & vast views... soulful fun

9 of us meet up at Blackford Rd, just up the road a bit from Mt Hutt ... after riding through a band of fog to get here, the warmth of the sun felt good ... saddle up & away ...

meandering our way in towards the upper reachers of the Rakaia River, roads end the destination, then the good stuff ... say gidday to the farmer & offer up our koha ... off we go ... riding farm tracks & clambering over, through & across numerious shingle fans that cascade down from the tops ... mountain springs flow freely across our path, careful with front wheel placement so as not to end up on me arse ... the mighty Rakaia river down to our right looks only a creek, layed out on its vast shingle brades ...

gate after bloody gate we inch our way around & down into the upper Lake Heron valley ... adjourn for lunch by an insect free river ... a paddle for some & a swim for the keen, all nicely dried by the sun ... evadance of mother nature abounds, high tide marks of the glaciers that use to inhabit this valley scare the hills around ...

on down to Lake Heron & its quaint 50's styled camp ground ... long may it stay, probably unlikely if the PC squad have their say ... Hakatere is next, a right there, the Rangatata river is 30 odd k away ... past Lake Clearwater where water craft play, children splash & squeal the day away ... the kingdom of Edoras (LOTR) was built on Mt Sunday, only locked gate, tourests & wheel tracks remain

retrace our steps back down this dusty no exit rd ... Mt Somers Village for fuel & alcohol ... with bikes gassed up & dust washed down it's that time of day to leave this adventure wonderland ... back on the canty planes time to ponder where next to make dust ... long may we wander ...

over to you foto1 Stu ...

PLUG
7th February 2007, 08:49
Wicked camera work there Stu ... help the memories live on

Skinny_Birdman
7th February 2007, 18:02
Hey guys, thanks very much for a great days riding. I particularly enjoyed behaving like a larrikin going across the big shingle fan early on. The TTR though it was a unicycle by the other side, so brief were the front wheel's trips to terra firma! There certainly is some gorgeous country up there, and there can't be many better ways to see it than adventure rides. The ride home into the easterly with the bike maxed out at 90 wasn't all that pleasant (fill 'er up mate, and another 10hp while you're there), but you take the rough with the smooth.
Cheers especially to Plug for jacking the day up, Transalper for saving me the trouble of watching the forum :shutup: and Stu for the awesome camera work.
I'm already looking forward to the next one, although I may have to give this 1000km bash at Molesworth and Rainbow a miss; if I do 1000km in one day on the 250 my arse will be so tender I won't be able to sit down for a week.
If anyone has little Pete's (the other TTR owner) email address can they PM it to me!

Cheers
Alex

Transalper
7th February 2007, 18:33
i got his hotmail address... he spends as much time logged on to MSN as I do.
PMing now

timg
7th February 2007, 18:53
Hey Tim, good to see a guy with a 2007 bike with heaps of fairing and only 1000km on the clock is still prepared to take it on a real adventure ride like that. I think we all had a few scares in that really deep shingle ( more like small rocks on a road ) and I know of at leat two on the trip that gave there bikes a wee lie down, so you did very well. Hope to catch up on further rides..... Cheers, Stu:scooter:
Thanks Stu. Great pix, a great reminder of where we've been & a great ride. Sorry I didn't think of getting behind your camera and getting a few shots with you in, well, the posed ones anyway. Next time... Cheers, Tim.

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 19:00
Thanks Stu. Great pix, a great reminder of where we've been & a great ride. Sorry I didn't think of getting behind your camera and getting a few shots with you in, well, the posed ones anyway. Next time... Cheers, Tim.

Thanks for the offer Tim, but don't worry, I don't need to be in the photos, as I know I was there, and I also know what I look like, and if I forget there's always a mirror :-)
:scooter:

far queue
7th February 2007, 19:03
Looks like you guys had a great day, and some great pics there too.

oldrider
7th February 2007, 19:38
Was pic No4 a ford or just a backwater for the backdrop?

Why was Transalper standing in the river?

Well, it looks like you all had a good time, all lined up like the magnificent seven ready to ride off in action. Well done! Cheers John.

RedKLR650
7th February 2007, 20:39
Was pic No4 a ford or just a backwater for the backdrop?

Why was Transalper standing in the river?

Well, it looks like you all had a good time, all lined up like the magnificent seven ready to ride off in action. Well done! Cheers John.

in pic 4 ( d Time for Reflection ) there is a small concrete bridge just out of frame on the left of the photo. That was an undisturbed pool just upstream of the bridge.......

As for Transalper in the river, no-one really knows, but maybe he was having a discrete pee ??? :Oops: :cold: :whistle: :shifty: :sick: :scooter:

And it was actually the nifty nine if you'd seen the road with the golf ball sized marbles on it :rockon:

Cheers, Stu

Transalper
7th February 2007, 20:51
Sorry to dissapoint... it was just a cooling off dip with me boots on so i could take the cool with me.

Shiner
7th February 2007, 22:06

Hi RedKLR and the rest of the crew. Looks like you had a great day with spectacular scenery and great adventure riding. Lovely photos. Makes me miss the South Island even more and wish I had been on the ride too. However need a bit more practice first......

SDU
11th February 2007, 15:26
Awesome looking ride you guys had & REDKLR650 you're in the right job- great pics:rockon:

Dotbond
16th February 2007, 19:24
Nice ride thru some, as usual, great scenery.

Transalper
17th March 2007, 07:35
Here's a quickie, recorded by The Pink Panther and trimmed by me. There wasn't much recorded to start with so it's only a couple of minutes long...enjoy...

EkjAawbXjkY

Remember you can get an almost full screen view if you click on the youtube logo to go to their web page and then click on the full screen button on the playback controls.

Apologies to the dial up people.

timg
17th March 2007, 08:03
Well done Carl :Punk: Must do it again some time. I like Stu's idea of stopping up there somewhere for a BBQ or something and really making a great day of it. My bike had 640k's on it for that ride. Got 3600 now :yes: Cheers, Tim.

cooneyr
17th March 2007, 11:22
Can you put the link up so we can download? Never quite figured out how to down load the vids from youtube.

Havent watched yet but I'm sure it will be up the the high standard of previous efforts. Thanks TA.

Cheers R

Transalper
17th March 2007, 13:16
Ok, here's a 5 mb DivX one (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/8/208927/WaitangiDay2007_agk192x5Mb.avi).

The Youtube stuff isn't really designed to be saved, you got to mess with utilitys or your browsers cache file to save them.

PLUG
17th March 2007, 13:29
nice work the PP & TA ...